Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

• SPY VIP

Watched these guys last night put a PV1 up against a Snell, Vice, Oncore. It was interesting and I like their vids and stuff; generally speaking. However, they talk too damn much. LOL This vid last night was about 20 minutes but before they even struck a ball they blabbed about nothing of substance really for perhaps 10 minutes. Then they tested the balls for 5 minutes and then wrapped it all up with another 5 minutes of jabber. TXG... get to the point. We're guys. We don't want or need all the jabber. Just the facts man.... the facts. 

We certainly don't mind constructive criticism and we take all feedback into account, but calling 10 minutes of that video "blabber" and "nothing of substance" is pretty ignorant. If we didn't think it had any value, why would we bother including it in the video? Again, we value feedback but try having some respect and consideration for the amount of time and effort that's put into them.

You're watching a video for the discussion, otherwise you might as well go read an article with data posted in a chart. Ian's fit thousands of people including tour players, the whole point of the channel is to extract his knowledge and communicate it. Literally anyone can buy a GC Quad and do this test and post the results, there's nothing unique or insightful about that.

I think ignorant in this case is a strong word, while you may not have liked the delivery, plaid does make a valid point. On the flip side there's a fine line between honest opinion and non-constructive naysaying.  Intelligent discourse requires thought, but for goodness sake, be respectful of the efforts.

Thank you all for your time.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the TXG videos are pretty good. I've watched many of them and enjoy them more than the videos that just hit shots and look at launch monitor data.

That said, I am a little more critical of internet videos as I've been in the TV biz as a producer and editor for nearly 15 years. Editing video well takes many viewings with trimming each time to really tighten it up.

You gotta feel the rhythm of your video and decide when you need to let it breathe (be longer) or tighten it up.

TXGs videos are very informative though, just maybe can be a bit more concise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Good post !

I agree that TXG's Matt referring to a participant (s) here as "ignorant" is not appropriate.

While the majority here seem to enjoy TXG's videos and, or, find some value to them, that should not mean every participant here is required to have the same opinion.

The comments, not the poster, was referred to as ignorant.

I appreciate the work that TXG puts into making their videos informative and entertaining. If others don't, that's fine, and I can also appreciate Matt calling out uninformed comments. I like someone who stands by what they create.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Good video today guys. I might have missed it you saying but where the bend profiles of the shafts similar?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think the TXG videos are pretty good. I've watched many of them and enjoy them more than the videos that just hit shots and look at launch monitor data.

That said, I am a little more critical of internet videos as I've been in the TV biz as a producer and editor for nearly 15 years. Editing video well takes many viewings with trimming each time to really tighten it up.

You gotta feel the rhythm of your video and decide when you need to let it breathe (be longer) or tighten it up.

TXGs videos are very informative though, just maybe can be a bit more concise.

Good post and thanks for  the insight.  

I can tell you as the subject of a couple of the vidoes, you are correct about the amount of time that has to be involved in editing.

However, in my case I'm guessing it had to be close to 5 hours of footage between the two fittings that Matt had to view--wow no human being should be subjected to watching my swing for 5 hours, then having to re-watch it for several more hours doing editing--it took quite a bit of cutting down to get to the combined 40 minutes or something like that.  I thought the effect of the FF when Ian was working with me was very creative and effective, basically taking 30 minutes or so of instruction and giving the view the idea of what was happening, in probably a minute or two. 

I know from past positions I've had in sports writing, it's tough to capture the details and flow of a game in 800 words or less.   it always seemed to me that every word I wrote was essential amd couldn't be cut..LOL 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Good post and thanks for the insight.

I can tell you as the subject of a couple of the vidoes, you are correct about the amount of time that has to be involved in editing.

However, in my case I'm guessing it had to be close to 5 hours of footage between the two fittings that Matt had to view--wow no human being should be subjected to watching my swing for 5 hours, then having to re-watch it for several more hours doing editing--it took quite a bit of cutting down to get to the combined 40 minutes or something like that. I thought the effect of the FF when Ian was working with me was very creative and effective, basically taking 30 minutes or so of instruction and giving the view the idea of what was happening, in probably a minute or two.

I know from past positions I've had in sports writing, it's tough to capture the details and flow of a game in 800 words or less. it always seemed to me that every word I wrote was essential amd couldn't be cut..LOL

I used to edit a hunting and fishing show. Talk about digging through a lot of boring footage, especially fishing. The cameras have to be rolling nonstop to get the “strike” shot so you have a lot of footage to go through.

I think the TXG videos could be tightened significantly with some more b-roll. Watching the steel vs graphite video, a full screen shot of each shaft, maybe a long pan across each one while Ian is talking would allow his insight to be condensed. That is the secret. Whenever you see an interview cut to b-roll of what the person is talking about, the editor is chopping up their dialog to make it more concise.

These videos could easily be cut 25% and give the same amount of information.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I wouldn't change a thing about TXG videos. They aren't always concise because fittings aren't black and white.

It's important for them discuss not only what they're seeing, but why they're seeing it and why what they are seeing might not translate to another golfer.

TXG isn't always going to provide absolutes, but they are going to provide golfers with information that they can digest and allow them to ask the appropriate questions in their own fittings.

I wouldn't change a thing about TXG videos. They aren't always concise because fittings aren't black and white.

It's important for them discuss not only what they're saying, but why they're seeing it and why what they are seeing might not translate to another golfer.

TXG isn't always going to provide absolutes, but they are going to provide golfers with information that they can digest and allow them to ask the appropriate questions in their own fittings.

I wouldn't recommend changing things either. Certain TXG videos do have more action/shots taken because of the subject matter. I appreciate the discussion, the back and forth of questions and saying things multiple times in different ways to help us understand it. It also is helpful for me that they do discuss because I can listen while I work too. 

They have a different angle compared to other golf videos that do require more action/entertainment. They primarily are talking about more technical things than how-to videos. And that is the beauty of YouTube/internet. There are more and more sources being developed and each has their own way which is helpful for those who digest information differently.

I would recommend one thing, in creating a blog and adding those videos to the pages with a summary/highlighted points/outcomes. Really enjoy all of the content. Keep it pumping!

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

I'll concur with those who are fine with the current TXG format. Above, I made a comment expressing my appreciation for both Mark Crossfield's videos and those of TXG, while noting the differences of each. TXG leans in the direction of being more like a classroom lecture. It isn't the most entertaining thing in the world. If you don't like the content for its own sake, these videos aren't going to compel you to watch. But if what you want is content and information, this is the channel.

And after I watch one of TXG's, I'm also going to watch what Skratch has put up, and I'll like that too.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Obviously you're not going to please everyone all the time, and we have our trolls just like everyone else, but I thoroughly enjoy the TXG vids and the effort they make to convey information.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I hear good deal can be had on airline prices and hotels in January :D   But seriously, I think there is always something going on in Toronto, but I believe they are n peak tourist season right now.  Prices for my trip were less expensive in early June when I went vs later June or July.   But perhaps the fall is a good compromise, and by then some of the companies will have put out some of their early release stuff for 2019, such as Srixon and the new 585/785 irons and Titleist with the TS2/TS3 drivers/FW and I'm sure TM, Callaway and PING are not going to stand pat either.  

So you will be getting the new Srixons as well? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

So you will be getting the new Srixons as well? 

Yes indeed, I will.   Looking forward to having them back in the bag!

Those who question the merits of TXG videos are trolls ?

He didn't say that. But a history of combatitive posts by the same poster across many threads may very well fit the bill. Just saying.

A post which does not agree with the majority opinion is "combative" ?

A forum, by definition, is supposed to be a place which welcomes and encourages a variety of perspectives and opinions.

That's not what he said. Differing opinions are what makes for good conversation but there are some members that when sharing their opinion do it in a combative way. It may not be every post by the person but there's enough posts across the forum to lead down the troll path.

Since this isn't a banter or complain thread let's move the conversation back to the content txg puts out

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Are you certain that commentary about "the content TXG puts out" is welcome here ?

Please take a minute to look at some of this thread's posts. The few posts which questioned TXG and, or, offered some constructive criticism were met with replies including claims that the participating authors were "ignorant", "uninformed", a "troll", and "combative".

No one was called a troll and the comments about ignorant and uniformed imo were accurate in the context they were made.

Some want to be contrarians just to be contrarians and it's their method for trolling while others provide a contrarian post with good content to backup their opposing view.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Interested to see the prov1x vs prov1 video they were talking about on Instagram. I really want to see what ball spins more on partial shots.

I'm putting my money on the 1x spinning more and guessing it will be in the 500-800tpm range

I'm putting my money on the 1x spinning more and guessing it will be in the 500-800tpm range

Definitely agree

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Are you certain that commentary about "the content TXG puts out" is welcome here ?

Please take a minute to look at some of this thread's posts. The few posts which questioned TXG and, or, offered some constructive criticism were met with replies including claims that the participating authors were "ignorant", "uninformed", a "troll", and "combative".

You've been asked nicely to Keep it on topic. You're welcome to move the discussion of forum ettiqutte to the banter or rant thread, or heck, start a thread on it. I'm sure it will be quite a topic.

But any more posts here that don't deal with TXG content, positive comments or constructive criticism , will be acted on.

Agreed. The common misconception is that the softer ball will spin more on partial shots, but that isn't the case

For sure. I've been bouncing between these two this year and I see a difference on anything from 7i thru my partial shots. It's not a big difference but just enough to be noticeable that 1x is spinnier.

The one area I see the bi difference is on driver and longer clubs. The 1x goes offline a lot easier and with a bigger miss.

For sure. I've been bouncing between these two this year and I see a difference on anything from 7i thru my partial shots. It's not a big difference but just enough to be noticeable that 1x is spinnier.

The one area I see the bi difference is on driver and longer clubs. The 1x goes offline a lot easier and with a bigger miss.

One thing I would think they will focus on, will be the misconception thst the balls are now reversed I'm characteristics. Meaning the X now flies lower than the V.

This is simply not true, I have heard this directly from the VP who is solely I'm charge of ProV development.

What they have done is bring them closer together, by lowering the X peak ball flight and increasing the Vs a bit.

Feedback from the tour was they liked all the spin capabilities of the X but it flew a bit to high on partial and wedge shots.

Agreed. The common misconception is that the softer ball will spin more on partial shots, but that isn't the case

This is why (a big part of why) I tend to play the "x" version of a given ball. The driver stuff is good, but when you're in trouble as much as me, you need results from ~120yds and in...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

To be clear, ignorant by definition means: "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular". That poster clearly lacked awareness of the value of the discussion in that video, not to mention lacking awareness that calling someone's work "blabber" is neither constructive or respectful.

Have to be totally honest, from the very beginning of the channel I've strongly believed in addressing almost every single comment we get whether it's positive or negative. There are way too many people on the internet taking no responsibility and having no accountability for the things they say. The good news is that generally people are respectful and reasonable, but in my opinion when someone isn't they deserve to get called out on it.

To be clear, ignorant by definition means: "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular". That poster clearly lacked awareness of the value of the discussion in that video, not to mention lacking awareness that calling someone's work "blabber" is neither constructive or respectful.

Have to be totally honest, from the very beginning of the channel I've strongly believed in addressing almost every single comment we get whether it's positive or negative. There are way too many people on the internet taking no responsibility and having no accountability for the things they say. The good news is that generally people are respectful and reasonable, but in my opinion when someone isn't they deserve to get called out on it.

Well said!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

One thing I would think they will focus on, will be the misconception thst the balls are now reversed I'm characteristics. Meaning the X now flies lower than the V.

This is simply not true, I have heard this directly from the VP who is solely I'm charge of ProV development.

What they have done is bring them closer together, by lowering the X peak ball flight and increasing the Vs a bit.

Feedback from the tour was they liked all the spin capabilities of the X but it flew a bit to high on partial and wedge shots.

Were you lurking in the back somewhere while we filmed this?  :lol:  Won't ruin Thursday's video for everyone, but there's definitely some misconceptions about the 2018 models that we (hopefully) cleared up with this test.

Were you lurking in the back somewhere while we filmed this? :lol: Won't ruin Thursday's video for everyone, but there's definitely some misconceptions about the 2018 models that we (hopefully) cleared up with this test.

LOL. No, I think my securuty clearance expired after my session. But I'm looking forward to the episode.

Dude.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Well this thread has gotten interesting.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived