Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Curing the hosel fades

So there I was, prepping for a beautiful day on the course to play my new, beautiful, shiny 585s. I step up to the first tee, hit a relatively good drive, then.......

Proceed to shank every consecutive iron shot. Not to be deterred, I move on from my 7 one number 1, to the second tee. Absolutely stripe a towering tee shot, 290ish down the right side, then ......

Well you know. Shank absolutely everything with an iron.

At this point I’m sideways, and it’s only getting worse. Decide to pick up and walk away.

Decide to reengage with@Steddygolf a bit later in the afternoon. Don’t have quite the shanks and manage an ok round of 86, but still had 4-5 dead right hosel fades.@Steddygolf, being the guy that he is gives me a drill.

I have gotten a case of the shanks every couple years or so. Usually out of the blue. Once so bad I almost quit the game for good. Always used the box drill, but this one, so easy in its simplicity was really a life saver. Took it to the range today and made pure contact all session.

IMG_2027.JPG

So, do any of you get the hosel fades? If so, what is your go to fix? I’m convinced there’s no worse feeling in the game!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I will have have this problem creep up every now and then. I usually can see it coming because I start making contact closer to the heel and it just moves over a bit. 

My fix is just stand a little farther away from the ball. It almost always fixes it. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, djahubes said:

So there I was, prepping for a beautiful day on the course to play my new, beautiful, shiny 585s. I step up to the first tee, hit a relatively good drive, then.......

Proceed to shank every consecutive iron shot. Not to be deterred, I move on from my 7 one number 1, to the second tee. Absolutely stripe a towering tee shot, 290ish down the right side, then ......

Well you know. Shank absolutely everything with an iron.

At this point I’m sideways, and it’s only getting worse. Decide to pick up and walk away.

Decide to reengage with@Steddygolf a bit later in the afternoon. Don’t have quite the shanks and manage an ok round of 86, but still had 4-5 dead right hosel fades.@Steddygolf, being the guy that he is gives me a drill.

I have gotten a case of the shanks every couple years or so. Usually out of the blue. Once so bad I almost quit the game for good. Always used the box drill, but this one, so easy in its simplicity was really a life saver. Took it to the range today and made pure contact all session.

IMG_2027.JPG

So, do any of you get the hosel fades? If so, what is your go to fix? I’m convinced there’s no worse feeling in the game!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've done the same drill for years.  Instead of a ball outside the ball I'm hitting, I use the rubber tee that sticks up through the mat.  It worked really well... until I get to the course.  Years ago, on an outside range I used a 2x4, also effective.

I've had the hosel fades off and on for a long time until this year.  My tendency was to pull the club to the inside on the takeaway.  As long as I turn when I take the club back keeping the club in front of me, I haven't had a problem.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is no worse feeling. I keep telling you guys to leave the Shanks to me.

I had a bought with them for a round this summer. Usually happens when I’m intentionally trying to hit a big draw. But I screw it all up and come too far from the inside. But this summers hosel rockets were from hitting too many flop shots and getting that out to in path.

Check alignment, grip, and ball position.

I used the box drill/2x4 thing. If there is another fault in your swing all you’ll do is stand up to make the room, could lead to other issues.

*not a pro*... always a safe bet to confer with one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fought these on occasion as well. For me it's always a downswing path too much from the inside. I get lazy with my turn through the ball and tend to slide and stall a little so the club is swinging out to the right a bit. Heel moves out towards the ball and off she goes. Working on hitting a fade always fixes it for me. Gets the club moving a bit more back to the left through impact and body releasing a little better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

My assistant club pro asked me what the difference between a good shot and an el hosel is. I said one goes straight, the other goes straight into the Woods. He said “about an inch or less”.  He told me to sit back on my heels to help solidify the base of the swing. Your swing probably isn’t bad since you just striped a tee shot. You could be moving your upper body or swaying which could cause the club to move slightly in the swing, it doesn’t take much. Anyway, that’s whe at told me to try, and it worked right away. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived