Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

How long have you been playing golf?  About 18 Months now
What’s your handicap or normal score? HI is 18

What do you love about golf? I can play golf with my 20 year old son and only sport where drinking is acceptable.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Its golf….so of course I want to read all about it  

Where are you from? What is your home course? Santa Barbara, Ca/ Glen Annie

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? worst is cost…our muni course is so much for a muni/ best….its a love hate relationship with the game  

What do you do for a living? Semi retired disabled vet  

How’d you pick your user name? It’s my standard user name. 

ME Holden

3 minutes ago, Marc Holden said:

How long have you been playing golf?  About 18 Months now
What’s your handicap or normal score? HI is 18

What do you love about golf? I can play golf with my 20 year old son and only sport where drinking is acceptable.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Its golf….so of course I want to read all about it  

Where are you from? What is your home course? Santa Barbara, Ca/ Glen Annie

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? worst is cost…our muni course is so much for a muni/ best….its a love hate relationship with the game  

What do you do for a living? Semi retired disabled vet  

How’d you pick your user name? It’s my standard user name. 

Crap…what’s in my bag….well clubs I was given by my father in law before he passed.  They are between 5 and 15 years old with a nice unused 6-p Mizunos.  Putter is a relic as are my calaway big Bertha Diablo fairway woods.  lol. 

ME Holden

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to mixing in with the community. Apologies in advance if my responses get long-winded (very likely).

How long have you been playing golf?
2 yrs and some change, collectively. 

What’s your handicap or normal score?
Lowest was 8.1 (NCGA) in 2022 after practicing/playing almost daily for ~1 of the 2 years played. Took a 2-year hiatus (mid 2022-2024) due to family, an involved move/relocation and a demanding work schedule. Back on the grind for the last 3 months, practicing 3-5 days a week for ~3 hrs a clip, when possible. 70% of each session is invested in short game, or entirely if I have limited time to get out. Putting daily. Current consistency would say around a 15-20 hcp but a lot of positives to build on.

What do you love about golf? 
The process of molding my game thoughtfully; practice is the process that applies the polish. The physical and mental challenges and knowing I'll never be a finished product. Also, the focus and engagement required allows me to forget everything else and "reset" from the day-to-day grind of real life. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy?
I've always read the reviews. 

Do you already know any other Spies?
No.

Where are you from? 
SoCal. 

What is your home course?
Currently looking as I'm still new to the area and just recently started up again. I'm also not playing 18-hole venues until my game deserves to see something other than the practice facilities (in my estimation, anyway); probably another month or so before I test the current skillset.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
Best - tons of courses.
Worst - it's 30-40* hotter than I've been accustomed to my entire life.

What do you do for a living?
Sales Operations.

How’d you pick your username?
It's my name/nickname.

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen 4 6.0 60g
3w - Ping G400 14.5* - Alta CB 68g
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*) - Alta CB 68g
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18* - KBS Tourlite X 110g
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24* - KBS Hybrid 5.0 80g
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019) - TT Dynamic Gold S300
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce) - TT Dynamic Gold Spinner
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce) - TT Dynamic Gold Wedge
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

*All Golf Pride Tour velvet grips minus the putter which is fitted with a Grip Master FL27.

Edited by AP Major

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing golf this year in May of 2024, after i bought a 17 club set of Dynapower Copperhead CU irons and a Maltby Driver with a 3, 5, 7 and 9 wood to go a steelsmith 53 degree wedge. I haven't played a full 18 a lot as there aren't a ton around me, but I play a lot of tight and narrow par 3 9 hole courses and usually shoot 15-20 over. 

What do you love about golf? I love the grind, the constant need to be sharp and improve and analyze, looking for the most efficient way to move, and in every sport I am a geek for gear. Golf gear is elite and outside of the satisfaction of striping a fade and holing a putt, I love looking at gear and how it can actually effect how someone is able to perform. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I came upon this forum by chance, through instagram but I don't know any other spies right now.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from Fresno originally, and if I had to say my home course it would have to be Hank's Swank Par 3 Course. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the pricing is solid but the bad thing is you're getting what you pay for in terms of low quality facilities, and the higher priced places don't offer the quality you should get for the price. 

What do you do for a living? I am a lawyer by trade. 

How’d you pick your user name? Just a username based off my last name that I've always used. 

KBains 

Hey there! Figured I would introduce myself. I am originally from outside Boston, MA but have lived in Scottsdale AZ since 2015. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - I am roughly a 6... I play most of my golf at Ancala CC which if any of you have ever played, know it is very narrow off the tee. Since playing there my handicap has for sure risen from a low of about a 3. But when I play other more forgiving driving courses, the handicap travels well! 

What do you love about golf? - Playing with my friends and especially my wife. She is a STICK and kicks my butt most rounds but it is a game we both love and get to play together every weekend. We also love to compete in scrambles together, they are a blast! 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - Wanted to get back to feeling part of a golf community! Hear other people's stories, thoughts and just chat golf. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? - Scottsdale AZ. Main club is Ancala CC, but love Papago, We-ko-pa and Ambiente at Camelback.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - You can play year round!..... but it is HOT. 

What do you do for a living? - Insurance Underwriter 

How’d you pick your user name? - Ha. Long Story. To make it short, I told some some friends that when I was young I got a piggy bank for Christmas that had a name plate to fill out. My initials are CMC and when I was writing my first name, Clay, I got so excited to put down my middle initial, I forgot the Y and wrote M... so it said Clam... they have called me that ever since. Heck, could have a worse nickname I guess! 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 
3W - Callaway Rouge 
5W - Ping G 30 (bought it used in 2018 and will love her forever) 
2I - Taylormade P790
4I-PW - Ping I59
56* and 62* - Vokey SM9
Scotty Cameron - 2020 Special Select Del Mar 
Titleist Prov-1

25 minutes ago, ArizonaClam said:

Hey there! Figured I would introduce myself. I am originally from outside Boston, MA but have lived in Scottsdale AZ since 2015. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - I am roughly a 6... I play most of my golf at Ancala CC which if any of you have ever played, know it is very narrow off the tee. Since playing there my handicap has for sure risen from a low of about a 3. But when I play other more forgiving driving courses, the handicap travels well! 

What do you love about golf? - Playing with my friends and especially my wife. She is a STICK and kicks my butt most rounds but it is a game we both love and get to play together every weekend. We also love to compete in scrambles together, they are a blast! 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - Wanted to get back to feeling part of a golf community! Hear other people's stories, thoughts and just chat golf. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? - Scottsdale AZ. Main club is Ancala CC, but love Papago, We-ko-pa and Ambiente at Camelback.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - You can play year round!..... but it is HOT. 

What do you do for a living? - Insurance Underwriter 

How’d you pick your user name? - Ha. Long Story. To make it short, I told some some friends that when I was young I got a piggy bank for Christmas that had a name plate to fill out. My initials are CMC and when I was writing my first name, Clay, I got so excited to put down my middle initial, I forgot the Y and wrote M... so it said Clam... they have called me that ever since. Heck, could have a worse nickname I guess! 

Welcome to MGS @ArizonaClam! I’m also a big fan of Papago. You should check out Talking Stick if you haven’t already, I’ve played the South course several times and really enjoy it. Playing the North course for the first time tomorrow. 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

14 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Welcome to MGS @ArizonaClam! I’m also a big fan of Papago. You should check out Talking Stick if you haven’t already, I’ve played the South course several times and really enjoy it. Playing the North course for the first time tomorrow. 

48 minutes ago, ArizonaClam said:

but love Papago, We-ko-pa and Ambiente at Camelback.

... I'll be interested in your experience. I am not a fan of the North course at all but find the South course acceptable. But I am not a big Papago fan either, although it is better since the renovation. 4.5-5 hour rounds are sadly the norm whenever I have played Papago. I live 4 miles from Aguila and moved there so I could play all winter for $35 instead of the $200-$350 far too many charge and snowbirds are willing to play for courses not equal to Aguila. I join Raven in the summer for the trees and shade they provide in the 110*+ temps but also play many of the nicer courses for under $75. I also love WeKoPa and Ambiente but both have zero shade so it has to be a sub 110* day. 

... I am thinking of putting together a little MGS outing at Aguila late fall after over seeding and the cost for those without a City Card should be under $75, less if walking and it's a really nice walking course. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I'll be interested in your experience. I am not a fan of the North course at all but find the South course acceptable. But I am not a big Papago fan either, although it is better since the renovation. 4.5-5 hour rounds are sadly the norm whenever I have played Papago. I live 4 miles from Aguila and moved there so I could play all winter for $35 instead of the $200-$350 far too many charge and snowbirds are willing to play for courses not equal to Aguila. I join Raven in the summer for the trees and shade they provide in the 110*+ temps but also play many of the nicer courses for under $75. I also love WeKoPa and Ambiente but both have zero shade so it has to be a sub 110* day. 

... I am thinking of putting together a little MGS outing at Aguila late fall after over seeding and the cost for those without a City Card should be under $75, less if walking and it's a really nice walking course. 

Haven’t played Aquila yet, but played Raven last week and on 4th of July. Great course that is worth the drive from the Scottsdale area. I’ll let you know what I think of the North course.

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

48 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Haven’t played Aquila yet, but played Raven last week and on 4th of July. Great course that is worth the drive from the Scottsdale area. I’ll let you know what I think of the North course.

@chisag

I have played both the TS quotes a handful of times. Most recently 2 weeks ago for an AGA Scramble Day. If you have not signed up for one of those yet, I highly encourage it. So much fun, well run, not too serious but great competition. 

I love Aguila. Greens are always great and it is a fun layout! Would love to play some sort of event there. 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 
3W - Callaway Rouge 
5W - Ping G 30 (bought it used in 2018 and will love her forever) 
2I - Taylormade P790
4I-PW - Ping I59
56* and 62* - Vokey SM9
Scotty Cameron - 2020 Special Select Del Mar 
Titleist Prov-1

5 minutes ago, ArizonaClam said:

@chisag

I have played both the TS quotes a handful of times. Most recently 2 weeks ago for an AGA Scramble Day. If you have not signed up for one of those yet, I highly encourage it. So much fun, well run, not too serious but great competition. 

I love Aguila. Greens are always great and it is a fun layout! Would love to play some sort of event there. 

... Thanks, but my tournament days were over when I moved to Phoenix. I am not a morning person and play twilite golf year round because I like finishing as the sun is setting, and playing 4/5 times a week the reduced price is welcome. Phoenix seems to start everything at the crack of dawn but they do sound like fun! I'll keep everyone posted on finding a day for a MGS mini outing. I am assuming most would want a weekend? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Another new guy here from Northern Utah. I've been  following mygolfspy since I started playing golf on my birthday last year. So I've been playing for about a year now and I find several interesting posts here and finally decided to register.

I own an off road race team called Off Map Racing. Check us out on the web, IG and FB. My Co-Driver and crew chief played when they were younger and talked me into going out with them one time. And unfortunately for my pocket book I became immediately hooked. Ordered a set of the strata clubs on prime day and figured out the reason that callaway doesn't put their name on them. Build quality was awful.  Sent those back and ordered a full bag of Bombtechs. For the price they were lightyears better than thr strata set and the customer support was amazing.  I originally ordered regular flex and ended up considering stiff. Instead of making me order a set they just sent me the stiff set and told me to keep whichever one fit my game better. So I played the majority of 23 with them. I signed up for a handicap 2 weeks in as I figured it was a good way to track progress. And started near 40. Ended the 23 season at roughly 26. 

Over the winter I put a simulator in my garage and went to practicing religiously. I telework so I can usually get 36 holes on e6 in and whatever club I decide to focus on for practice. I figure it's about 500 strokes a day ish. 

Spring sprung and I decide to take advantage of PXG fitting and their military pricing in April and my handicap was about 25 at the time. This fitting was a game changer for me as I started hitting things a lot cleaner. I went from 100 stroke game to breaking 80 for the first time just before my birthday in July.  I've now shot several rounds at the 80 mark with a few 9 hole rounds only 2 over. With the update from last week I will be sitting at a 10.3 handicap. I've posted 47 scores this year so far and no intention of slowing down. Currently I play men's league on Hill AFB every Thursday and at the Barn on Wednesdays. Also enrolled in the PGA hope lessons and have gotten some great help there with even more lessons on the calendar. 

My version of ADHD allows me to hyper focus on things that are difficult for me. And golf is as frustrating as it comes. 

Currently I am gaming the following:

Driver. PXG blackops 10.5 stiff

3w. Taylormade Stealh HL

3&4h. PXG black ops

Irons 5-PW PXG 0211 xcor2s

Wedges Taylormade high toe 3 in copper. 50* 54* 60*

Putter. Depending on day. LAB mezz 1 max broomstick or a PXG Battle Ready 2 Closer. Mostly the broomstick as I just got it a few weeks ago.

One of the reasons I registered finally is I've been stealing great information from here since I started and found the thread on the official testing of the new vice irons right after I placed my order for a set and figured it was time to finally contribute some information to the pile when those come in. 

Goals for the remainder of 2024.

Break 75.

Single digit handicap.

Learn to hit a cut on purpose. I've  got the slice figured out.🤣

Play every course North of Salt Lake. Out of the 22 I know about I'm only missing 1 that's been a struggle. So if anyone wants to help a brother get onto the Ogden Country Club for a round I'd be eternally greatful. 

I play a lot on Hill and if anyone hasn't had a chance to play there and wants to let me know. I'll gladly sponsor you onto the base to experience a round out there. 

I also play at the Barn a lot.  

IMG_20240801_170043_804.webp

20240813_121652.jpg

20240808_183711.jpg

20240731_175723.jpg

20240801_171244.jpg

20240703_101052.jpg

20240419_152817.jpg

20240413_143651.jpg

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Hey all. Another new guy here from Northern Utah. I've been  following mygolfspy since I started playing golf on my birthday last year. So I've been playing for about a year now and I find several interesting posts here and finally decided to register.

I own an off road race team called Off Map Racing. Check us out on the web, IG and FB. My Co-Driver and crew chief played when they were younger and talked me into going out with them one time. And unfortunately for my pocket book I became immediately hooked. Ordered a set of the strata clubs on prime day and figured out the reason that callaway doesn't put their name on them. Build quality was awful.  Sent those back and ordered a full bag of Bombtechs. For the price they were lightyears better than thr strata set and the customer support was amazing.  I originally ordered regular flex and ended up considering stiff. Instead of making me order a set they just sent me the stiff set and told me to keep whichever one fit my game better. So I played the majority of 23 with them. I signed up for a handicap 2 weeks in as I figured it was a good way to track progress. And started near 40. Ended the 23 season at roughly 26. 

Over the winter I put a simulator in my garage and went to practicing religiously. I telework so I can usually get 36 holes on e6 in and whatever club I decide to focus on for practice. I figure it's about 500 strokes a day ish. 

Spring sprung and I decide to take advantage of PXG fitting and their military pricing in April and my handicap was about 25 at the time. This fitting was a game changer for me as I started hitting things a lot cleaner. I went from 100 stroke game to breaking 80 for the first time just before my birthday in July.  I've now shot several rounds at the 80 mark with a few 9 hole rounds only 2 over. With the update from last week I will be sitting at a 10.3 handicap. I've posted 47 scores this year so far and no intention of slowing down. Currently I play men's league on Hill AFB every Thursday and at the Barn on Wednesdays. Also enrolled in the PGA hope lessons and have gotten some great help there with even more lessons on the calendar. 

My version of ADHD allows me to hyper focus on things that are difficult for me. And golf is as frustrating as it comes. 

Currently I am gaming the following:

Driver. PXG blackops 10.5 stiff

3w. Taylormade Stealh HL

3&4h. PXG black ops

Irons 5-PW PXG 0211 xcor2s

Wedges Taylormade high toe 3 in copper. 50* 54* 60*

Putter. Depending on day. LAB mezz 1 max broomstick or a PXG Battle Ready 2 Closer. Mostly the broomstick as I just got it a few weeks ago.

One of the reasons I registered finally is I've been stealing great information from here since I started and found the thread on the official testing of the new vice irons right after I placed my order for a set and figured it was time to finally contribute some information to the pile when those come in. 

Goals for the remainder of 2024.

Break 75.

Single digit handicap.

Learn to hit a cut on purpose. I've  got the slice figured out.🤣

Play every course North of Salt Lake. Out of the 22 I know about I'm only missing 1 that's been a struggle. So if anyone wants to help a brother get onto the Ogden Country Club for a round I'd be eternally greatful. 

I play a lot on Hill and if anyone hasn't had a chance to play there and wants to let me know. I'll gladly sponsor you onto the base to experience a round out there. 

I also play at the Barn a lot.  

IMG_20240801_170043_804.webp

20240813_121652.jpg

20240808_183711.jpg

20240731_175723.jpg

20240801_171244.jpg

20240703_101052.jpg

20240419_152817.jpg

20240413_143651.jpg

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

I've been lurking here for a couple years. Trying to get better but I hate practicing. I usually go out as a single since none of my friends play. Usually get paired up with randoms but that usually works out ok. Most of my bag is filled with custom fit Wishon clubs. I won my Taylormade driver in a raffle at a company tournament.

Today is a big day! Started tearing out my back yard to put in a putting green! I'll post some pictures when it's done. I work form home looking at the back yard all day so I will definitely be taking some 'breaks' in the near future!

How long have you been playing golf? Started playing about 8 or 9. Quit when my younger brother started beating me. 🤣 Got back into it sporadically 15-20 years ago. Been trying to get out there more often. Work and life keep getting in the way.

What’s your handicap or normal score? Don't have an actual handicap but I'm normally in the low 90's.

What do you love about golf? It's a sport I can actually play at 67 years old. I enjoy the time outside in normally nice settings, meeting new people since nearly none of my friends play.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Found you on Google from a search for something. I like the product reviews. Do you already know any other Spies? Not that I know of.

Where are you from? Escondido, Southern California. What is your home course? I play several places, depends on the availability. Reidy Creek, The Lakehouse-Executive course, Pala Mesa, Temecula Creek.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - number of courses, variety, weather. Worst - $$$

What do you do for a living? Design Fire Alarm Systems.

How’d you pick your user name? MyGolfSpy did it for me.

I've been lurking here for a couple years. Trying to get better but I hate practicing. I usually go out as a single since none of my friends play. Usually get paired up with randoms but that usually works out ok. Most of my bag is filled with custom fit Wishon clubs. I won my Taylormade driver in a raffle at a company tournament.

Today is a big day! Started tearing out my back yard to put in a putting green! I'll post some pictures when it's done. I work form home looking at the back yard all day so I will definitely be taking some 'breaks' in the near future!

How long have you been playing golf? Started playing about 8 or 9. Quit when my younger brother started beating me. 🤣 Got back into it sporadically 15-20 years ago. Been trying to get out there more often. Work and life keep getting in the way.

What’s your handicap or normal score? Don't have an actual handicap but I'm normally in the low 90's.

What do you love about golf? It's a sport I can actually play at 67 years old. I enjoy the time outside in normally nice settings, meeting new people since nearly none of my friends play.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Found you on Google from a search for something. I like the product reviews. Do you already know any other Spies? Not that I know of.

Where are you from? Escondido, Southern California. What is your home course? I play several places, depends on the availability. Reidy Creek, The Lakehouse-Executive course, Pala Mesa, Temecula Creek.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - number of courses, variety, weather. Worst - $$$

What do you do for a living? Design Fire Alarm Systems.

How’d you pick your user name? MyGolfSpy did it for me.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Current index is 13.1

What do you love about golf? I played basketball for 25 years, golf is something I can do for the next 25.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Ran across the site a few years ago and really love the product reviews. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? Born in LA county, SoCal. My home course is the Pete Dye Signature Course in Rancho Mirage, CA 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Good: More golf courses per square mile than anywhere else in the country. Bad: Teeing off at 6:00 AM to avoid the summer heat!

What do you do for a living? Director of Sales & Marketing for a resort in Palm Springs.

How’d you pick your user name? See above and think about it. 

Steven "Marty" Grant

How long have you been playing golf?
I’ve been playing golf off and on since 2015. It was a good excuse to get out with the boys during college. Stopped borrowing my Dads clubs in 2019 when I decided to buy my own. Started really trying to actually play decent golf in 2021.

What’s your handicap or normal score? Current handicap is 13.8, and it’s at the lowest it’s ever been. Pretty consistently shooting 87-92 nowadays 

what do you love about golf? I love the constant pursuit of better under rapidly changing circumstances, as well as the need for strong mentals. The need to keep calm and to be able to analyze then execute each shot is what I live for 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found the forum while I was looking a gear reviews prepping to get my first fitting done. I don’t know anyone yet, but would love to!

Where are you from? What is your home course? From Sacramento, CA. I play a LOT of courses, but would probably call Diamond Oaks Golf Course my “home” course, since I’m not yet a member anywhere

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the amount of amazing courses, worst thing is it’s so dang expensive lol

What do you do for a living? I sell commercial insurance to local construction and real estate development companies!

How’d you pick your user name?

I love a good double entendre or pun. So to call my self “below standard” as I’m not a great golfer, but allow it to imply good scores was too good a pun to pass up 😂

How long have you been playing golf?
I’ve been playing golf off and on since 2015. It was a good excuse to get out with the boys during college. Stopped borrowing my Dads clubs in 2019 when I decided to buy my own. Started really trying to actually play decent golf in 2021.

What’s your handicap or normal score? Current handicap is 13.8, and it’s at the lowest it’s ever been. Pretty consistently shooting 87-92 nowadays 

what do you love about golf? I love the constant pursuit of better under rapidly changing circumstances, as well as the need for strong mentals. The need to keep calm and to be able to analyze then execute each shot is what I live for 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found the forum while I was looking a gear reviews prepping to get my first fitting done. I don’t know anyone yet, but would love to!

Where are you from? What is your home course? From Sacramento, CA. I play a LOT of courses, but would probably call Diamond Oaks Golf Course my “home” course, since I’m not yet a member anywhere

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the amount of amazing courses, worst thing is it’s so dang expensive lol

What do you do for a living? I sell commercial insurance to local construction and real estate development companies!

How’d you pick your user name?

I love a good double entendre or pun. So to call my self “below standard” as I’m not a great golfer, but allow it to imply good scores was too good a pun to pass up 😂

Driver - callaway Paradym 9*, project x hrzdous silver stiff

3W - 15* cobra dark speed max, draw setting, UST LIN-Q white 70g

2H - 17* cobra dark speed, Mitsubishi MMT 80g stiff, +1” length

4 thru PW - Cobra Forged Tec X - KBS $-taper 120g stiff, +1” length, 2* upright 

52*, 56*, 60* - Lazarus wedges 

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Hi! I've been a member of MGS for a few months now, but forgot to do the introduction, so here goes... I am a junior golfer, I have two holes-in-one, my home course is a Jack Nicklaus designed Par 3. My handicap fluctuates between 1 and +1. My current clubs are:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D 
3-Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max D
Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max
4-iron: Taylormade P790
5-PW: Taylormade P&MC
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Sacks Parente Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

I think that's everything. Thanks for reading!

WITB
Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST D 

3 Wood: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue St D

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max

5-PW: :taylormade-small: P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 Nickel w/Custom USA 🇺🇸 Paint Fills

Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

How long have you been playing golf?  I have been playing for about 25 years but took some time off in the middle and have gotten much more serious about it in the last 10

What’s your handicap or normal score? 10.6

What do you love about golf? I love all of it, weekend rounds with friends, planning a golf trip then looking forward to it for months, trying out/getting new equipment, working on the game and currently trying to get my kids into it!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? The best review site I know of, I found it about 8 years ago when I was in the market for a new putter at the time and they were the only ones doing real unbiased and detailed reviews... This is also when I joined the forum but never did an intro post but figured now is as good a time as ever.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Scottsdale, AZ - I'm not a member anywhere so play all around

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: Tons of courses to choose from, year round golf and really good deals in the warmer months... Worst:  Golf has gotten crazy expensive here in the winter at most courses over the last 5 years

What do you do for a living? General Contractor

WITB: 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 10K 9*, Ventus Blue shaft 

3W - Ping G410, Venus Blue shaft

4H - Ping G410

4 thru PW - Mizuno MP18 irons, Modus 120S 

50*, 54*, 60* - Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2 Black

On 8/1/2024 at 2:00 PM, ArizonaClam said:

@chisag

Have you done the Rocky Point trip through AGA?  It's a great deal, they do it in October and May.  There is an optional practice round Friday then 36 on Saturday at Vidanta with a shamble format.

I am 67 years old and started playing golf at the age of 5. We grew up with a Country Club golf course at the edge of my backyard. So I was hitting balls down the fairway as soon as I learned how. I've played all my life, and I am a certified golf addict. I now have my own golf cart and I play as much as possible. 

I love that I can't conquer the game. No matter how much I practice or play, I find there's always room for improvement! My lowest handicap is a 6.3. Currently a 9.0 my goal is to get below that 6!

I love MGS. Since the first article I've been hooked. Clear, honest and insightful information about all things golf MGS is my go to before I purchase anything golf related. 

I live in Gilbert, Arizona. My home course is Power Ranch. I play the Blue Tees 6356 yards par 71.

I love golf in AZ. I grew up in So Cal, so desert golf was a big change! My first year hear I carried a beat up golf club we refer to as a desert club to hit out of the desert. Since then I've just adjusted to using my gamers to play out of that desert. Firm fast fairways, and wide open views, I love it here. Plus we play quickly. 4h rounds on a full tee sheet Saturday are the norm at Power Ranch (we have Great Marshalls to keep up the pace!). The worst thing about AZ courses are the green fees in the Winter. I typically play once a week in the peak season as the green fees, even with my discount as a Loyalty Member, average $90 a round. Yikes. Summer time I see $39 green fees for Peak times and $25 for afternoons. 

I work for a University in their admissions department. 

My user name is not very creative, it's simply my email, I think!

Wait, my user name is a combination of my last name and a greeting!

Driver PING G430 Max 10K Red Hzrdus Regular flex

3wood Taylormade Burner Fuji Pro 2.0 S

5w/7w PING G 430 Max Red Hzrdus Reg.

5 hybrid PING Anser

6i-AW Callaway Apex 21 Steelfiber i95 R

52/54/58 wedges PING s159

Putter Callaway Odyssey OG 1 

I forgot to add my equipment: 

Driver - PING G430 Max 10K. I love this driver. I have the 12 degree, adjusted to -1 degree and flat. It's long and a fairway finder for sure. I played the Callaway Epic MAX LS 10.5 prior to the PING. The problem I had with that driver is any shots on the toe or heel led to shorter drives. When fitted for the PING the fitter said that happens with LS drivers. So I love the PING.

Fairway 3 wood (I hate when they call it a 3 metal. Nobody calls it a 5 steel, they call them irons and these things haven't been made out of iron in a long time! Just a pet peeve) I play the old school Taylormade Burner from 2008. New equipment testing has yet to surpass the old stick. So it stays! 

5w is the new PING G430 Max Hazrds Red Smoke. I love this thing.

7w is also a PING G430 Max, same shaft. It's a new addition to my set up. Love it for the longer shots into long par 3's. 

5 hybrid is the old school PING Ansr and I welcome this, although tbh I am thinking of going back to a 5 iron. 

6i-AW are the Callaway Apex 21. I like these irons, but I have an issue with them. Occasionally when I hit it sold the ball jumps off the face and adds 10-20y, which clears the back of the green and then some! Also they spin lower than I want coming into the greens. 

52/54/58 degree wedges are all the new PING s159. I do like them, but again to be honest, I miss the Vokey wedges and will probably go back to them.

Putter is the Callaway OG blade model. I am using the alignment aid on the ball for putts 20' or less and it's made a huge difference!

5 hybrid PING Anser

1 hour ago, Heyweb said:

I am 67 years old and started playing golf at the age of 5. We grew up with a Country Club golf course at the edge of my backyard. So I was hitting balls down the fairway as soon as I learned how. I've played all my life, and I am a certified golf addict. I now have my own golf cart and I play as much as possible. 

I live in Gilbert, Arizona. My home course is Power Ranch. I play the Blue Tees 6356 yards par 71.

I love golf in AZ. I grew up in So Cal, so desert golf was a big change! My first year hear I carried a beat up golf club we refer to as a desert club to hit out of the desert. Since then I've just adjusted to using my gamers to play out of that desert. Firm fast fairways, and wide open views, I love it here. Plus we play quickly. 4h rounds on a full tee sheet Saturday are the norm at Power Ranch (we have Great Marshalls to keep up the pace!). The worst thing about AZ courses are the green fees in the Winter. I typically play once a week in the peak season as the green fees, even with my discount as a Loyalty Member, average $90 a round. Yikes. Summer time I see $39 green fees for Peak times and $25 for afternoons. 

... Pre Covid I used to find tee times for under $50 in the middle of winter, especially as a single. I played Quintero, Southern Dunes and Verrado for under $50. After Covid those deals disappeared. Aguila, an excellent city muni is $36 to walk at twilite with a Sr City Card and after every 10th round or so you get a free round all winter long so the price drops to $32. We play there almost exclusively and avoid the $150-$300 courses that snowbirds and visitors will pay. 😱

... I enjoy Power Ranch but prefer to walk and rarely get down there the days. I join Raven in the summer because unlike most desert courses here in Phoenix, it is completely tree lined, has so much shade and when it is 110* and over I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a difference that makes. 

Those were the days! Power Ranch made enough during COVID to finally rebuild all the greens! They are awesome now! With my loyalty card we build points to use for free rounds too. Played Raven in July and really enjoyed it! The Cart Girl was awesome with a great free pour! 

5 hybrid PING Anser