Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

GolfSpy MPR

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? About 20 years. Shoot low to mid 90's

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because its hard to master. I also love being outside

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I can yo MyGolfSpy from Youtube. Love all the review and all the content they have.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Orange County Ca (Lake Forest) Really don't have a home course but I like playing Talega in San Clemente Ca.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is you can play all year round. Worst is how expensive it can be compared to other places

6. What do you do for a living? Manufacturing 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I have no idea! HaHa!

Edited by booyaa138

I wish I could play golf more!

Any fellow New Mexicans out here? Wasn't sure where else to post with no NM in the title 🤷‍♂️ Excited to be here though, and hope to see some other NM folks to get out on the course with!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing for about 15 years but with a ~7 year hiatus in the middle. Getting back into it more seriously in the last 3 years. Currently sitting at about a 9 index.

2. What do you love about golf? For me it's the perfect way to get outside and get away from all the other stresses of life. Nothing better than the feeling of being in the moment brought on by friends and competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found MGS about 2 months ago as I was researching iron sets. Really impressed at the community feel of the site, and obviously the independent nature of the reviews, actively fact-checking the often over the top claims of the OEMs.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Michigan, but living in Northern New Mexico now. Home course is the beautiful Los Alamos County Golf Course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Hard to beat the incredible mountain views and excellent weather. There is no question that lots of the courses struggle with water supply issues which can lead to rough conditions in dry years.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a scientist 🧑‍🔬

7. How’d you pick your user name? Wouldn't you like to know!

• Like 1

-Ross

WITB: GBB Epic driver 9 deg. Aldila Rogue Max XS; Titleist 915F 3 wood 16.5 deg.; Ben  Hogan Icon 4-P. Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60 deg. Odessey white hot Rossie blade.

38 minutes ago, RJB said:

Any fellow New Mexicans out here? Wasn't sure where else to post with no NM in the title 🤷‍♂️ Excited to be here though, and hope to see some other NM folks to get out on the course with!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing for about 15 years but with a ~7 year hiatus in the middle. Getting back into it more seriously in the last 3 years. Currently sitting at about a 9 index.

2. What do you love about golf? For me it's the perfect way to get outside and get away from all the other stresses of life. Nothing better than the feeling of being in the moment brought on by friends and competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found MGS about 2 months ago as I was researching iron sets. Really impressed at the community feel of the site, and obviously the independent nature of the reviews, actively fact-checking the often over the top claims of the OEMs.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Michigan, but living in Northern New Mexico now. Home course is the beautiful Los Alamos County Golf Course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Hard to beat the incredible mountain views and excellent weather. There is no question that lots of the courses struggle with water supply issues which can lead to rough conditions in dry years.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a scientist 🧑‍🔬

7. How’d you pick your user name? Wouldn't you like to know!

Welcome RJB!!  There is a Introduction Forum for New Mexicans...

South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

You might repost there.

However, I used to make lots of trips to ABQ and Los Alamos for work.  I even played to course in Los Alamos.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome RJB!!  There is a Introduction Forum for New Mexicans...

South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

You might repost there.

However, I used to make lots of trips to ABQ and Los Alamos for work.  I even played to course in Los Alamos.  

Ah! Thanks Kenny, I'll move this over there! Showing my transplant roots by assuming that NM would be in the southwest region...

• Haha 1

-Ross

WITB: GBB Epic driver 9 deg. Aldila Rogue Max XS; Titleist 915F 3 wood 16.5 deg.; Ben  Hogan Icon 4-P. Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60 deg. Odessey white hot Rossie blade.

1 minute ago, RJB said:

Ah! Thanks Kenny, I'll move this over there! Showing my transplant roots by assuming that NM would be in the southwest region...

How long have you been in Los Alamos?  I believe the last time I was there was in 2012-2013.  I retired in 2015.  The people I worked with there were probably happy to see me go!!!  🤣

• Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Got up here in 2017, so a relative newbie. If you ever get back up here (why would you... lol) we'll have to get you back out on the course!

-Ross

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

How long have you been in Los Alamos?  I believe the last time I was there was in 2012-2013.  I retired in 2015.  The people I worked with there were probably happy to see me go!!!  

Got up here in 2017, so a relative newbie. If you ever get back up here (why would you... lol) we'll have to get you back out on the course!

• Like 1

-Ross

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? +2

What do you love about golf? Getting outside for a long walk and the mental test

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Lurked for years, figured it was time to participate. Don’t know anyone officially but don’t know if people I play with are on here  

Where are you from? What is your home course? Lifer SF Bay Area. Split time between Harding Park, Corica Park, and Metro

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best, good muni’s and the weather. Worst, the SF weather.

What do you do for a living? Owned a custom bicycle shop for 15 years and recently  closed it. Now I’m a loving house husband and I play golf until I figure out what’s next  

How’d you pick your user name? It’s my name, no one had it, and it’s easy to remember. 

• SIM Max 9*, Hzrdus RDX Black 6.0, 46.5”
  • Mizuno ST190 3wd 15*, Atmos Black TS stiff, 42.75”
  • Titleist 917f2, 21* @ 20.25*, Speeder Tour Spec stiff, 41.75” OR
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-iron, 19*, MMT UT 105 stiff
  • Srixon ZX7 4-P, AMT White, x100, all bent 1* weak
  • Vokey SM8 50*@51* F grind, 54*@55* D grind, 60*@59* D grind with trailing edge custom grind
  • Taylormade Spider Tour, no sight line, Stability Tour, 33”

Hey Folks,

Steven here checking in.  

1. Find me on Instagram @steventroncoso 

2. How long have you been playing golf?  Been playing golf since I was 15 years old.  Started off in high school PE class because I broke my leg and needed a PE class that didn't involve running.  One semester of learning the game and I never looked back.  From there I was off to the races and was on the varsity team team for the next 3 years.  Didn't play any college though I probably should have as I was a scratch golfer at the time.

3. What’s your handicap or normal score?  Handicap is currently (as of Aug 1, 2021) at 7.4 and my typical scores are in the low 80s, nothing over 85.

4. What do you love about golf?  Bringing together friends, working on beating the course, trying to keep positive when having a bad hole, the time I get to spend with my wife and son on the golf course, the golf vacations we take, there's just nothing not to like about golf.

5. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I'm not a big forum poster at all and  typically just read all the reviews that MyGolfSpy puts out there to see if a product that I'm interested in is reviewed and if so, what is the community saying about that product.  I don't necessarily take reviews as the spoken word because everyone is unique and that's what makes golf interesting, what works for you may not work for others and that's totally fine.

6. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I'm born and raised in Orange County, California. where golf never sleeps.  It's golf season all year round from January thru December and it's fantastic.  Even through COVID we were able to play some of our local courses, albeit tee times were a bit harder to come by.  We don't have a home course as we are 50 miles outside of Los Angeles, 50 miles outside San Diego, and 1.5 hours away from Palm Springs, so we play all over the place.

7. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Worst things about golf that I've experienced, at least lately, are the people who think in Orange County that you're actually going to get a round of golf finished in 4 hours.  Courses are packed and there are all types of skill levels out there now so folks really need to just be patient.  I mean what else do you have to do that you are in such a rush, obviously not working on your game, and by no means am I saying that we take all day cause that's not acceptable either.  But go out there and enjoy your day with your friends and have a beer or two and chill out.  Best things about golf in our region is that there are a ton of courses that are completely different for all skill sets and all are challenging in their own way!

8. What do you do for a living?  I'm a Controller for an Aerospace company.

9. How’d you pick your user name?  User name is nothing more than my prefix of my email...

Steven Poor Mans Pebble.jpg

• Like 1

WITB and Other items:

Irons: Taylormade P790 4 iron thru Approach wedge w/ stock dynamic gold stiff shafts.   

Wedges: Taylormade 54 degree wedge and Taylormade high toe 60 degree wedge. 

Putter: KS1 Kirkland Signature putter w/ Super Stroke grip  

Driver: Ping LST Driver w/ Stiff shaft at 10.5 degrees  3 wood: Taylormade M6 Stock stiff shaft

Ball: Cut Matte Orange golf ball  Grips: #1 grip in golf - Golf Pride - ZGrip Cord regular  Glove: Titleist - left hand  Towel: Short Par 4 towel  Rangefinder: Bushnell Pro XE  Alignment Sticks: Home Depot driveway sticks  

Bags: Original Jones Blue & White carry bag: Taylormade FlexTech Stand bag in grey w/ neon green stitching 

Golf Phone Holder: Amp Caddy Speaker: Walmart - Onn. Mini Rugged Bluetooth Speaker

Divot Tool: Palm Golf Golf Marker: Short Par 4 poker chips

Clothing: Shirts typically Full Wedge / Nike / Under Armor / Bad Birdie / DVRX Threads  Pants: Joggers - Walmart / Old Navy / Greg Norman Shorts: Greg Norman / Travis Mathew / 1776  Hats: Palm Golf / Travis Mathew

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. My name is Austin

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Played when I was a kid, getting back into it, been playing consistently since May this year, I score in the 100s, PB is 106.

2. What do you love about golf? Having a chronic back injury makes other activities difficult, but golf let's me enjoy the outdoors without too many issues. And I always like a new challenge!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Looking to chat about new gear, maybe find a playing group since I usually golf solo.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? SLC, UT area, mostly play Glendale.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Pretty easy tee times, but not all the city courses are in the best of shape, but that may be more due to the drought..

6. What do you do for a living? Work in IT

7. How’d you pick your user name? I wanted to start a video company in Highschool, and this is the name I came up with!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from the West Valley in the Valley of the Sun.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I’ve been playing for about 35 years, since my dad gave me my first set of Ping knock-offs when I was a pre-teen. Lessons would have ended nice to go with them. Oh well.

• I usually shoot in the low 90’s but can in the upper 80’s after playing more consistently, which hasn’t been of late.

2. What do you love about golf?

• It is something my dad and I can do together. Even at 80 he still swings the sticks.

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?

• I ran across the site originally while doing some ball research as I look for a new ball along with my new gear and new found swing details.

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I was born in Ohio and grew up primarily there and Indiana. Been here in the West Valley since Dec, 2019. Thanks to the plandemic, I really don’t know anyone out here. I don’t really have a home course.

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• The best thing is the sheer number of places to play and variety of courses. The weather 7-8 months out of the year is pretty fantastic too.

• ‘Bad thing? The weather the other 4-5 months of the year. Oh, and the snowbirds.

1. What do you do for a living?

• I’m in the process of changing careers. I was an IT professional for over 20 years. Now I’m a Mortgage Loan Officer.

1. How’d you pick your user name?

• Shrek is an old nickname from many years ago. And the number 74 is my birth year.

——————————————————————————————-

PXG Gen4 0811 Driver 7.5* down to 6*, X-Stiff Diamana S+ 50g

PXG Gen4 0341 3 Wood 15*, X-Stiff HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g

PXG Gen4 0317 19* Hybrid, Stiff HZRDUS Smoke Black 80g

PXG Gen4 0317 22* Hybrid, Stiff HZRDUS Smoke Black 80g

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW, Stiff True Temper XP 95

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* & 54* Satin Chrome

Titleist Vokey SM58 58* Oil Can

PXG Battle Ready Closer Putter, Plumbers Neck, 36” Long

Suppose I should introduce myself.  I'm Jon from SLC, UT. 

• How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I played briefly in high school, but then shelved the clubs until grad school.  I picked it back up but played maybe a round or two a year.  Covid year provided a good impetus to dedicated some time and I've played a bunch over the past two years.  It's coming around.  I usually shoot +15-20 per nine (I tend to lose a lot of balls on wayward shots).  However, my last two rounds were both with just one ball, so that was nice! 

• What do you love about golf?

I've always been a sports guy, whether skiing or playing soccer.  I tend to pick things up pretty quickly, so its odd when I struggle athletically.... which brings us to golf!  I look at it as a lifetime sport (I'm not getting younger) and it is an excellent problem to solve.  There is always something to work on and perfect.  It keeps my brain interested while provided a good outlet for some sport and competition.  

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? 

It's a nice place to ask/answer/examine all of my random golf thoughts! 

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

I grew up in SLC, avenues.  Usually play Bonneville and Nibley.  Always trying to scam my way into some of the fancy courses around here

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

There is such a wide variety of courses.  Everything from narrow mountain courses to linksy courses.  You can pretty much find it all (especially if you are willing to head south for desert golf in the winter).  Tee times are usually pretty easy to find, if you look around. The worst are the dog days of summer.  100* is too hot for golf.... 

• What do you do for a living? 

I'm a lawyer. 

• How’d you pick your user name?

I'm always hurt (currently 5 months off a torn achillies)  and I thought it was funny. 

Driver:  RBZ Stage 2 (9.5)

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13)

3U: Sub70 (19.5)

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S) 

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Hey all!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've only been playing a short while since the pandemic hit and unneeded something to do. I am playing in the 90’s right now. 

2. What do you love about golf? I enjoy how very challenging it is.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was looking up putter reviews and then found this forum and figure it would be a good place to learn tips and ask questions.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm In Los Angeles and play at Van Nuys GC often as well as the Calabasas Country Club. (Due to a friend who is a member)

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - year round golf. Worst - I find a lot of the courses I’ve played so far look good on paper but are not good once you get there.

6. What do you do for a living? Anything. Ha! No I’m in visual effects. I am the project manager overseeing all the current Star Trek shows.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's basically my user name for everything.

• Like 2

-Shawn

3 hours ago, vfxshawn said:

Hey all!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've only been playing a short while since the pandemic hit and unneeded something to do. I am playing in the 90’s right now. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was looking up putter reviews and then found this forum and figure it would be a good place to learn tips and ask questions.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm In Los Angeles and play at Van Nuys GC often as well as the Calabasas Country Club. (Due to a friend who is a member)

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - year round golf. Worst - I find a lot of the courses I’ve played so far look good on paper but are not good once you get there.

6. What do you do for a living? Anything. Ha! No I’m in visual effects. I am the project manager overseeing all the current Star Trek shows.

The greens at Calabasas are gloriously challenging. There doesn’t seem to be a straight putt anywhere. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

On 9/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, vfxshawn said:

Hey all!

Welcome Shawn!  Couple of questions...Are you a Trekkie?  How's Van Nuys playing these days?  I used to play there decades ago with my older brother - lots of good memories.

Driver: PXG 2021 0211 10.5 Diamana S+

Hybrid: Ping Karsten 2014 3H, 4H, 5H Ping KS401

Irons: PXG Gen2 0311XF 6 - PW, GW TT Elevate 95 VSS

Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60*10 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten

Ball: SaintNine U-Pro 

Bag: Titleist Hybrid 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Off and on for 25 years. 20 handicap

• What do you love about golf?

Nature. Hanging with friends. Escapism. Masochism.  

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Live, Laugh, Love 

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

SoCal/LA/OC. 

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Weather. Crowds.

• What do you do for a living? 

Advertising/Marketing Genius

• How’d you pick your user name?

The Green Fees Are Too Damn High

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster from Orange County, California here! Finally made the time to invest myself into MyGolfSpy after absorbing countless information from every post 🙂

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing golf around a year or so ago, and surprisingly I was pretty good at it, so I quickly picked up the game. I've been going to the range almost every other day, and visiting various courses locally on weekends ever since I started. I would say that I am a mid-low handicapper as I'm almost shooting near 90s now!

1. What do you love about golf?

I love the community, and I love the game itself. As an extrovert that loves spending time with close friends, I find playing sports/games myself (basically, I mean playing without your friends/people you know) demotivating and unsatisfying. However, golf is different. While I do frequently go out to the range and 9-18 hole courses with friends, I also love the alone time. Hitting the balls at my own pace, working on whichever technique I want to without giving friends advises, turning on youtube in the middle of a driving range session to figure out what I am doing wrong, I LOVE being able to learn about these things.

One other thing I love about golf is the technique and the math behind the sport. I love breaking things down and gaining FULL understanding of every tiny little aspect, and I found golf to be an endless learning session haha.

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I came across MyGolfSpy couple months ago by clicking an suggested link for an review of some clubs, and ever since then I have been stopping in MyGolfSpy every other day to read discussions, new posts, and reviews! 

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from Orange County, California. I would say my home course is the Dad Miller Golf Course, but I bounce around all the local courses.

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

I would say that both best and worst thing about golf in my region is the weather. It is anywhere around 80-100 degrees during the day, so in the beginning of a golf session the weather is very nice, but after 30 minutes I can't stand the sweating and the heat.

1. What do you do for a living?

I am a recent undergrad graduate, so for now I am at home, studying as I am planning to take the LSAT for law school.

1. How’d you pick your user name?

My username is one that I have always used. I don't know where the numbers came from though.

Titleist AP2 716 👌