bens197

Kuchar is embarrassingly cheap

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Interesting take by Porath.  I'm a big fan of the Shotgun Start podcast.  Don't think I have missed an episode.  To be honest, I can't disagree with him here either!

That's a hell of a generic judgment of others by someone who I have no idea who it is.  But if you agree with his statement, that's pretty obtuse and letting emotions cloud your own judgment.

And I can only speak for myself here, but this is neither anger or saying there is a right or wrong in this (well, other than what I just posted above).  I just think people taking shots at Kuchar for this based on gossip on the internet and whatever miscellaneous 3rd generation facts they are reading or hearing about is incredibly myopic and cruel.

And who the hell gives a crap who Brendan Porath is, let alone what his opinion is.  I could call him a judgmental holier than thou prick based on nothing more than this tweet, but that would be defeating the point of this post.

• Like 3

Without judging anyone or anything said previously, I think it's really interesting how emotional this conversation is for people who are strictly observers of the situation.  Not just on this forum, but in all of what I've read in other places as well.  I've been trying to sort through and figure out what has brought on all the emotion, but I can't really pin it down.

Anyone else get this type of sense about this?

• Like 3

That's a hell of a generic judgment of others by someone who I have no idea who it is.  But if you agree with his statement, that's pretty obtuse and letting emotions cloud your own judgment.
And I can only speak for myself here, but this is neither anger or saying there is a right or wrong in this (well, other than what I just posted above).  I just think people taking shots at Kuchar for this based on gossip on the internet and whatever miscellaneous 3rd generation facts they are reading or hearing about is incredibly myopic and cruel.
And who the hell gives a crap who Brendan Porath is, let alone what his opinion is.  I could call him a judgmental holier than thou prick based on nothing more than this tweet, but that would be defeating the point of this post.

I’ve been called a lot worse than obtuse. As Kuchar said in his press release, “ I’m certainly not losing sleep over it!”

For that matter, I’m not losing sleep over message board opinions of me either!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I keep checking in to this topic from time to time to read what everyone has to say or their opinions. I kept telling myself to let it be. So here's my one and only say...

I can't really find much interest in it but it's been going on here now for 6 pages and  over a 100 posts. I missed the picture where Kucher slapped the old boy with a wad of $100 bills and hurt his feelings. This Kucher nothing-thing it's certainly effecting a lot of folks for some reason. Stuff like this isn't really interesting to me. It's like celebrity gossip. Big whoop. Like most things in golf I read about the Kucher thing and moved on almost immediately. It has no meaning or interest to me in the grand scheme of things. I'm not Kucher's keeper. Same with Sergio recently. My opinion of Kucher and Sergio haven't changed either way. I actually enjoy watching both of them play. That's all it is to me. Golf Entertainment. Watching tournaments. Neither of these guys committed a felony. But they've sure paid a (IMO unnecessary) price apparently in the court of social media - public opinion and with the virtue signaling crowd. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 6

I’ve been called a lot worse than obtuse. As Kuchar said in his press release, “ I’m certainly not losing sleep over it!”

For that matter, I’m not losing sleep over message board opinions of me either!

Freaking right.

The statement he just released should end it all. A couple days late but it’s exactly what he needed to do. Hopefully this story is over

• Like 2

Here; now maybe y’all can drop this. Hope no one ever gets in your business like everyone’s been in Matt’s.
https://es.pn/2X6a2T2

After reading that it sounds like El Tucan extorted an extra 45 grand out of Matt.

Before that statement gets anybody's undies in a bunch, I have already stated that personally I would have gave the caddie more than 5 grand before leaving Mexico. However, they had an agreement that Matt honored. Then shortly afterwards decided to tip him an extra 15 g's. Matt had no reason to do so other than the kindness of his heart. El Tucan declined and that should have been the end of this debacle. The fact that this situation escalated to the point of Matt basically being forced to pony up the extra dough by the public and El Tucan, says more about them then Matt in my book.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

After reading that it sounds like El Tucan extorted an extra 45 grand out of Matt.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He did. Matt stuck to the deal that was made, and El Tucan decided to make a issue over a deal that Matt KEPT. Was this what Matt should have done in the first place, yes, but after El Tucan raised an issue, I would have been LESS likely to give him extra money. El Tucan basically said, "I am willing to ruin Matt's reputation over the fact that I am upset about the deal I agreed to." That wouldn't make me want to pay someone. 

That said, Matt did the only thing he could. Because El Tucan was greedy, and went public, Matt HAD to pay him to maintain his positive reputation. If El Tucan had a problem, he should have addressed it privately with Matt. That would have made me want to pay him even more. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 4

El Tucan just made it almost a guarantee that tour players are going to be staying away from course or resort caddies around the world and especially when the tour returns to this event. 

And if they do get them there will be plenty of legal docs to sign on both sides 

• Like 3

Can we pause for a second and look at it another way.

Kuchar’s statement was late but wise and ends the controversy.

However why are we turning El Tucan into a villain? It’s entirely possible that he had no clue what caddies were paid and that Kuchar did indeed take advantage of him.

The fact is that we don’t know Kuchar, we don’t know Tucan. I’m glad he got some extra dough out of the deal - and wisdom prevailed and Kuchar moves on with very little damage to his reputation.

Everybody wins - but I’d think twice before making anyone wear the black or white hat in this.

• Like 4

I like the fact that he donated to the philanthropic causes supported by the tournament.  That was a nice touch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

However why are done turning El Tucan into a villain? It’s entirely possible that he had no clue what caddies were paid and that Kuchar did indeed take advantage of him.

Fact is we don’t know Kuchar, we don’t know Tucan. I’m glad he got some extra dough out of the deal - and wisdom prevailed and Kuchar moves on with very little damage to his reputation.

Everybody wins -

I only see El Tucan as the villian due to the fact that I believe he extorted the money from Kuchar.  As you say it is entirely possible he had no clue what caddies were paid but when Matt offered the additional 15k and El Tucan figured out what a caddie is paid he should have accepted the extra money and considered it a lesson learned for next time.  Now because of his greediness there will be no next time.  A lot of people seem to think that Kuchar was wrong for not paying more than they agreed upon but no seems to care that El Tucan was too greedy to accept a huge bonus.

I have no dog in this fight and don't think any less of Kuchar than I did before this mess.  I do however believe that Kuchar has been shamed out of a lot of money because too many people in this world tend to worry about everybody but themselves.

I am glad he is giving money to the tournament charities.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

However why are we turning El Tucan into a villain? It’s entirely possible that he had no clue what caddies were paid and that Kuchar did indeed take advantage of him.

The fact is that we don’t know Kuchar, we don’t know Tucan. I’m glad he got some extra dough out of the deal - and wisdom prevailed and Kuchar moves on with very little damage to his reputation.

Everybody wins - but I’d think twice before making anyone wear the black or white hat in this.

The difference is a local caddie doesn’t getvthe same pay as a tour caddie. Caddies at resorts are paid a recommended fee per loop. In cases where they are working for a tour pro at an event or something similar there is a fee for that week of service.  They are typically independent contractors and negotiate or the resort handles the assignment and what they fee will be.

so not knowing what caddies make imo is irrelevant to this situations 

I actually feel sorry for Tucan now. Remember he lives in Mexico. This story has definitely made Mexican news. Cartels, gangs, and everyone else will probably be coming after some of that money. That’s 962,140 pesos. I definitely would not want everyone to know I just hit the jackpot, especially in Mexico.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

El Tucan just made it almost a guarantee that tour players are going to be staying away from course or resort caddies around the world and especially when the tour returns to this event. 

And if they do get them there will be plenty of legal docs to sign on both sides 

I'll take it one step further.  If I am a tour pro and saw what happened to Kuchar, I don't even play in a Tour event in Mexico, ever again.

2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I only see El Tucan as the villian due to the fact that I believe he extorted the money from Kuchar.  As you say it is entirely possible he had no clue what caddies were paid but when Matt offered the additional 15k and El Tucan figured out what a caddie is paid he should have accepted the extra money and considered it a lesson learned for next time.  Now because of his greediness there will be no next time.  A lot of people seem to think that Kuchar was wrong for not paying more than they agreed upon but no seems to care that El Tucan was too greedy to accept a huge bonus.

I have no dog in this fight and don't think any less of Kuchar than I did before this mess.  I do however believe that Kuchar has been shamed out of a lot of money because too many people in this world tend to worry about everybody but themselves.

I am glad he is giving money to the tournament charities.

Well said.  It's sad that a generation of Americans known as "The Entitlement Generation" has shamed Kuchar into this madness.  Everyone goes around saying, "I deserve this," and "I'm entitled to this."  It's greedy, it's prideful, and it's self-serving.  

I also think there is a divide between younger people and older people in this debate.  Maybe that's too easy to generalize or stereotype, but I heard a bunch of older people trying to figure out why people are making a fuss over this because they don't think Kuchar did anything wrong.  And then I heard a bunch of younger people ripping Kuchar to shreds because he was "selfish" and "cheap" and "greedy".

Perhaps it's not only an age thing, but I can draw my own conclusions on this from a worldview and political perspective as well.

I also find it hilarious and so predictable that a group of people who go around shouting down anyone they disagree with by saying, "who are you to judge me," are always the first ones to line up on places like twitter and rip someone like Matt Kuchar to shreds.  Sure, I get it, we can't judge you, but you have every right to judge everyone else.  Yeah, I know, you aren't judging anyone.  You just choose to call what you are doing something else.

• Like 3