vdaloia

What golf ball should I use?

I swing the driver at about 95-100 mph and carry about 260 yards. 

• I slice the ball so anything that would minimize that would help

The most important thing I am looking for in a ball would be 150 yards and in, I like something that feels kind of soft off of the putter (I use Evnroll er5) and I don't mind some roll out on pitch shots.

I use M6 irons

I want to spend no more than 20-30$ a dozen. Currently I use the Srixon Q star tour as I get 40% off of all Srixon equipment for college club golf. However, I would say my favorite golf ball at the moment is chrome soft with the truvis pattern, it just feels very solid. Should I switch to those and buy them off of lostgolfballs or should I stick to my Srixon balls, or anything else. Recommendations and explanations are greatly appreciated, I just want to stop thinking about my equipment.

Edited by vdaloia

Q Star is designed to help with lateral movement/spin.

using lostgolfballs to buy will put you at risk of buying/playing balls that are going to add to inconsistency I results.

check out the mgs golfball study.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Q Star is designed to help with lateral movement/spin.

using lostgolfballs to buy will put you at risk of buying/playing balls that are going to add to inconsistency I results.

check out the mgs golfball study.

I think you are referring to the 2-piece ionomer covered QStar vs the OP referencing the 3-piece urethane covered QStar Tour. 

OP, 

Generally the difference in spin around the greens between a urethane covered multilayer ball vs a 2-piece ionomer covered ball will be far greater than the difference between the two off the tee. The only time I recommend 2-piece ionomer balls over multilayer urethane is when a golfers swing speed/launch are extremely low or if they lose a lot of balls and cannot personally tell the difference.

Your slice is a swing flaw that no ball will be able to correct. There is an abundance of swing instruction resources on the various forums and youtube that will be far more helpful to fixing this problem than a ball change ever will. 

Next comes price. Used ball re-sellers like LostGolfBalls are contracting with divers to pull balls out of ponds at courses all over the country. Now if you are buying a fairly recent model, it likely wasn’t in the pond for very long and will likely be fine. Also with exception to the ProV1, they are often providing a mix of multiple generations of balls from companies that reuse names (ex B330, ZStar), so you may end up with some balls that are significantly older than the others. Many of these re-sellers also refurbish/refinish balls which means they strip the paint from the urethane cover and repaint/stamp before selling. Stay away from these mainly because you never know what you are going to get under that cover. Ultimately there are often good deals on prior generation models or lower cost alternatives where it is often not much of a savings to go with used water balls over new.

When it comes to choosing between similarly constructed balls, specs and tests can help narrow down choices, but nothing can replace personal testing on the course. Below are a couple of recent tests that may help narrow a few choices down:

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

Edited by storm319

52 minutes ago, storm319 said:

I think you are referring to the 2-piece ionomer covered QStar vs the OP referencing the 3-piece urethane covered QStar Tour. 

Correct. OP asked a question what ball to use. I stated the ball and why.

Thank you guys, I'm probably going to use the regular Q star from now on as I lose quite a bit of golf balls and I don't need much spin. So does this spin skin make it feel more like a urethane ball as the spin skin coating is urethane?

13 minutes ago, vdaloia said:

Thank you guys, I'm probably going to use the regular Q star from now on as I lose quite a bit of golf balls and I don't need much spin. So does this spin skin make it feel more like a urethane ball as the spin skin coating is urethane?

I can't say for certain in regards to the Q-Star, but I have used the Z-Star and they are one of the best on the market for spin. And yes they do have the spin skin as well.

1 hour ago, vdaloia said:

No, it is still an ionomer cover and no amount of basting will make it perform like urethane. BTW, the ZStar is my favorite ball. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kuz

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Is it fair to call them the No. 1 iron, driver, wedge in golf? 
      Some notes below from a press release on just how domimate Titleist is on tour this year. 

PGA:  It was a Titleist Brand Ambassador 1-2-3 finish at the regular season-ending Wyndham Championship, where Titleist Brand Ambassador J.T. Poston earned his first career PGA TOUR victory … Poston finished one shot clear of Webb Simpson and two better than Ben An … Viktor Hovland (Pro V1), finished solo 4th, another shot back … Closing with a career-best eight-under par 62 en route to a tournament record-tying 22-under 258 victory total, Poston became the first player since 1974 to win a 72-hole stroke-play event on tour without any bogeys or worse … Simpson fired a final round 65 to secure his runner-up finish for the second straight week, while An, who held or shared the lead after each of the first three rounds, closed with a 67.
      >Eleven of the 12 players who finished among the top 10 and ties trusted Titleist golf balls for their success, and so did every other player who finished in the top 35 … That’s 34 of the top 35 finishers teed up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x with so much on the line at the PGA TOUR’s regular season finale.
      > Poston’s win advances the 2018-19 PGA TOUR victory total for Titleist golf ball players to 23, nearly four times the nearest competitor (6) and more than all other golf balls combined … A total of 120 (77%) players teed up a Titleist at the Wyndham Championship, more than eight times the nearest competitor with 14. 
      > What’s in the Titleist Bags of the top three finishers at the Wyndham Championship:
      J.T. Poston: Pro V1x, TS3 (9.5) driver, TS2 (15) fairway metal, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 718 AP2 (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (46), gap (50), sand (55) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron GoLo putter.

Webb Simpson: Pro V1, TS3 (10.5) driver, TS2 (15) and 913Fd (18) fairway metals, 913Hd (20) and 915Hd (23.5) hybrids, New 620 MB (5-PW) irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap (54) and prototype lob (60) wedges.

Ben An: Pro V1x, TS3 (8.5) driver, U-500 2-iron, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 620 MB (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (48), gap (52), sand (56) and prototype (60) lob wedges, Scotty Cameron TNP putter.

> For the second time this season, the Titleist brand swept all eight major equipment categories on both the PGA TOUR and Korn Ferry Tour in the same week ... It is an achievement that had never been accomplished until Titleist made history by sweeping the Travelers Championship and Wichita Open in June ... The eight major tee-through-green equipment categories include golf balls, drivers, fairway metals, hybrids, utility irons, irons, wedges and putters ... The recently introduced T100 irons were the most played single model at the event with 15 sets in play, while the TS3 driver was the field favorite with 34.
      > At the Wyndham Championship, Titleist was the top choice across every category for the 11th time this year ... The other tournaments in which Titleist has topped every major equipment category include: 3M Open, Rocket Mortgage Classic, Travelers Championship, AT&T Byron Nelson, Wells Fargo Championship, Corales Puntacana Championship, Valspar Championship, Honda Classic, Farmers Insurance Open and Sony Open in Hawaii ... This marks the fourth time on the Korn Ferry Tour that Titleist has swept the counts.

• By knightrider
      Hey Y'all,
      First time to the forum and I'm starting this thread fairly selfishly, but could be cool to see what everyone's recommendations for upgrades would be!
      Currently playing a set of Mizuno MP60's that I bought used about 10 years ago....long time.
      I always buy used clubs cause prices are just too crazy for me (still waiting on that lottery ticket to hit for that custom fitting experience).
      My question is: What would be y'all's recommendations for an iron set that's comparable to the MP 60's (I love the thin topline and forged heads), but a  newer set would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not too loyal to any brands but really interested to see what I should give a few whacks at my local golf store. 
      Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what everyone's playing and what everyone's drooling over. 
      P.S.    I've been looking at the Titelist AP2's
      Cheers Y'all!!!
    • By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• By ChiefMikeOfficer
      There are some good articles and forums showing off Puma's new Ignite NXT line, like this one:
      But not much in the way of reviews yet. Has anyone tried the Solelace on course or at the driving range? How would you rate it (bonus points if you have used a disc model before and can compare)?
      I have a new pair of the Disc sitting in my office right now because that's (somewhat) proven technology, but I like the look of the Solelace better, so I keep looking down at them debating an exchange (but I'm skeptical... seems like it could be gimmicky). We have about 3 months until golf season starts in Wisconsin, so I'm hoping someone in a warmer climate has actually tried them out and can give some insight to help me with the decision. Thanks!
    • By dbdors
      Wanted to share my golf ball rack that I actually built late last year.  I have to say that I am proud of it. 
      Had been eyeing making a new rack for my logo golf ball collection. Had a store bought rack that held 72 balls, but it was quite ugly IMO. 

I really liked this one and decided to copy it: https://www.woodshopi...golf-ball-rack/
      Mine is made from cherry, one of my favorite woods to work with. The example looks like cherry as well.

I'm a wood worker and love building things and tinkering, especially if its for golf its a bonus for me. In either case, I'm really proud of what I did.

I do have a PDF of the sketch. PM me and I can email if you like.  This rack is 6 X 15 (90 balls).  But I have another sketch for a 6 X 9 design (54 balls) for my 50 states project.  I'll wait till it cools off in Houston before I get back in the garage to start building.

My 50 states project is a plan to play at least 9 holes in each of the 50 states.  I'll have 10 by end of this year.  Just did two 9's in Salt Lake City. 

This is the finished piece in the raw before filling and final sanding. And then a couple of the finished rack.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!