Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy MPR

NPG Episode 30: Is The Plain White Golf Ball Dying?

Our Sponsors

DEBATE: Is The Plain White Golf Ball Dying?

We're back from the PGA Show to discuss the return of the Tommy Armour 845s and whether the white golf ball is experiencing a slow, steady demise.

1:17 - An update on Most Wanted Driver testing and life at HQ
6:30 - We reminisce about the classic 845 irons and their return in modern form
16:57 - Does the 2020 Taylormade PIX signal the beginning of a new trend in non-white golf balls?
40:15 - Are social media influencers losing influence?
47:53 - A new shaft from Fujikura: The Motore X

Listen to NPG:

Watch NPG:

I personally don't see a debate. What's there to debate? If you like playing a white ball so be it. (I do) If you prefer anything else - have at it. A debate might be approprite if perhaps the USGA were banning the white ball or a colored one. But they're not. Carry on and have a nice day.🏌️‍♂️

• Like 5

I personally don't see a debate. What's there to debate? If you like playing a white ball so be it. (I do) If you prefer anything else - have at it. A debate might be approprite if perhaps the USGA were banning the white ball or a colored one. But they're not. Carry on and have a nice day.🏌️♂️

I'd agree - who cares - play what you like and what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I'd say it's more like non-white balls are just gaining popularity.  I prefer white color balls but have started playing colored ones, particularly the matte finish, once in a while.  My guess is that we'll eventually see a 50/50 split.

I can remember when non-white golf balls were the wave of the future, in the 1980s.  I think both Jerry Pate and Hale Irwin used them.  They're definitely here to stay, but I don't see white balls ever becoming extinct.  Of course, they probably said that about white tennis balls at one time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I can remember when non-white golf balls were the wave of the future, in the 1980s.  I think both Jerry Pate and Hale Irwin used them.  They're definitely here to stay, but I don't see white balls ever becoming extinct.  Of course, they probably said that about white tennis balls at one time.

As a former Tennis player, I can tell you that the demise of the white ball was welcomed. The yellow ball is much easier to wrack and stays visible even when it's dirty. The white balls got gray and very hard to see.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

the white ball is on a slow death march at the moment. Now, that can change just as fast as fashion does. But, with Titleist coming out with a yellow ball that is a good indication that they see profit in it. I see more and more juniors buying colored balls. 

The white ball will never completely go away, but will become the minority I think over the next 10-15. Years. 

I am sure the plain white ball is not going away in my life time.  I like the ball to be solid and yellow or pink for ease of following.  Back a few years ago I found a few dozen hot pink Bridgestone B330 rx that were made for Paula Creamer.  I bought the first dozen as a lark for a golf outing, though I did play the same ball in white.  I was amazed at how much easier it was to find my ball in the rough and woods.  I have tried to find a top tier ball that was pink or yellow.  I was super happy when Titlist came out with the yellow Pro V1.  I don't like a busy ball like the Truvis or Pics.  I really would love to get more of those pink Bridgestones.  The had the full name instead of just the B which gave good lines.  The pink was easy to see and nobody else used them, and I know that is why I can't find any more because there is no market for them.  That said has anyone tested the Bridgestone's with the upgraded (reflex?) urethane cover?

3 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

the white ball is on a slow death march at the moment. Now, that can change just as fast as fashion does. But, with Titleist coming out with a yellow ball that is a good indication that they see profit in it. I see more and more juniors buying colored balls. 

The white ball will never completely go away, but will become the minority I think over the next 10-15. Years. 

Again, there were high-quality colored balls in play on the PGA Tour back in the 1980s.  40 years later, and they still haven't taken over.  Their popularity has increased and decreased in cycles ever since then, and its definitely increasing now.  But I don't believe that they'll become a majority in my golfing lifetime, which is unlikely to extend much more than 20 years from now.  I know, its all crystal ball stuff, nobody can tell the future.

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Again, there were high-quality colored balls in play on the PGA Tour back in the 1980s.  40 years later, and they still haven't taken over.  Their popularity has increased and decreased in cycles ever since then, and its definitely increasing now.  But I don't believe that they'll become a majority in my golfing lifetime, which is unlikely to extend much more than 20 years from now.  I know, its all crystal ball stuff, nobody can tell the future.

You could be right I am totally guessing. But, unlike the 80s. There are way more people accepting of of alternative golf accessories and equipment. blue drivers, green, orange, white, etc. People want options.