Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cutting down Ping putter vs. buying a shorter one

Trying to settle a disagreement between a buddy and myself about whether or not it makes a difference between buying a shorter putter vs. cutting a longer one down to the same length.  I know that cutting it down is going to change the swing weight and make it feel lighter, etc but is there a difference in the end result? I realize that some putters out there have adjustable and/or fixed weight ports and that manufacturers will make those weights heavier in the shorter putters to have the same feel as a longer version, but for putters that don't have those, isn't the head weight the same regardless of length?

Specifically, I'm looking at some of the older Ping Craz-E putters (not the Vault versions with weight ports) and as far as I can tell the head weight on all of them is exactly the same. In this case, wouldn't buying a 33" putter give me exactly the same result as buying a 35" and cutting it to 33" (assuming identical grips)?

31 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Trying to settle a disagreement between a buddy and myself about whether or not it makes a difference between buying a shorter putter vs. cutting a longer one down to the same length.  I know that cutting it down is going to change the swing weight and make it feel lighter, etc but is there a difference in the end result? I realize that some putters out there have adjustable and/or fixed weight ports and that manufacturers will make those weights heavier in the shorter putters to have the same feel as a longer version, but for putters that don't have those, isn't the head weight the same regardless of length?

Specifically, I'm looking at some of the older Ping Craz-E putters (not the Vault versions with weight ports) and as far as I can tell the head weight on all of them is exactly the same. In this case, wouldn't buying a 33" putter give me exactly the same result as buying a 35" and cutting it to 33" (assuming identical grips)?

Simple answer is yes.   Most manufacturers just cut down the putter to length with the same head.  Those with adjustable weights may or may not provide different weights;  they'd prefer to sell you the weight kit.     I have cut down lots of putters and didn't adjust the weight;  didn't feel any different to me but others may feel a huge difference. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes.  Ping uses the same head for 33,34,35 inch putters.  You can add weight to the head, but most players won't feel much of a difference unless they are a handsy putter.  It's not like a full swing club.  Depending on what grip you have, you can also change the feel back towards standard by installing a lighter grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

For a lot of golfers, it wouldn't make much difference by shortening the stock putter length.

But for the other golfers , including myself, could definitely feel the difference by simply chopping the OEM putter shorter.

For me, it'll come in the difference in feel, which will influence the distance control.  Also aim, for I use a modified swing gate type of putting stroke which has a slight curve from back and through the golf ball.  I can putt with just about anything, from the modern putters ( all types ) to the early 20th century butter knife to using the leading edge of an iron ( never liked the fairway wood for balance preference ).   Yes, I suppose I could get used to a putter shortened from the OEM spec.

It really is how long would it take for you to adjust to the new feel.  If you're not playing competition golf the week after you made the modification......... no harm will be done.

I also know a few golfers whom claims that they must have the same feel in a putter to be able to score well.   Perhaps, just between their ears that made the issue.

We tend to forget human mind could make adjustment.   I'd also bet that each morning you would feel a bit different when first out of the bed.   Your mind and body will adjust back to your "comfort zone" .

How fast ?  It'll be up to the individual.  I can adjust to a new putter , any style and length, any swing weight within 10 minutes on a practice putting green then off to the first tee.  However, if the following round means anything to me, I'd rather have one of the couple putters I had had for many decades, for they are like old friends, not much adjustment needed and lots od understanding and forgiveness.

Edited by release

I would say that its the same either way.  Its not as if most OEMs do anything to make a shorter putter heavier so that the swing weight is the same.  Ive cut many 35" putters down to 33" and they all worked just fine.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X