Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Salsa!

Shankster

Ladies and Gentlemen -

Aside from golf, I enjoy a nice bowl of Salsa with some tortilla chips.  It is my snack most of the time, I never get sick of it.

Favorite is my homemade pico, but it is a lot of work.  So I usually get a few containers of the “fresh” stuff at the store.

Got any good recipes to share?!

Thanks!

Signed,

A very hungry Shankster 

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Ladies and Gentlemen -

Aside from golf, I enjoy a nice bowl of Salsa with some tortilla chips.  It is my snack most of the time, I never get sick of it.

Favorite is my homemade pico, but it is a lot of work.  So I usually get a few containers of the “fresh” stuff at the store.

Thanks!

Signed,

A very hungry Shankster 

Just made the salsa from this video the other day, and loved it both on the burritos we made as well as on its own with chips: 

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Any peach salsa. Sweet and spicy sign me up! No recipe my dad makes the salsas I am not stepping on those toes😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Any peach salsa. Sweet and spicy sign me up! No recipe my dad makes the salsas I am not stepping on those toes😂

Can’t say I’ve ever had peach salsa. 🤔

Nope, definitely not.  Mango, and other fruit types, never peach.  Probably delightful on fish tacos.

27 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Can’t say I’ve ever had peach salsa. 🤔

Nope, definitely not.  Mango, and other fruit types, never peach.  Probably delightful on fish tacos.

We have a small chain up here that does pineapple salsa on shrimp tacos.....most amazing taco I’ve ever had....and I live in Cali for a skip and a jump 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

46 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

We have a small chain up here that does pineapple salsa on shrimp tacos.....most amazing taco I’ve ever had....and I live in Cali for a skip and a jump 

Another thing to add to my list.  I’m sure I’ve had shrimp tacos... right? 

Luckily, my oldest daughter wants to be a chef, so I’ll have her start making me some of this stuff.  Baker, but still I am sure you have to learn how to cook real food before making pastries...?

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Another thing to add to my list.  I’m sure I’ve had shrimp tacos... right? 

Luckily, my oldest daughter wants to be a chef, so I’ll have her start making me some of this stuff.  Baker, but still I am sure you have to learn how to cook real food before making pastries...?

My dad was a culinary arts teacher after years of being in Boston. He started in pastries so yes, if anything baking is harder because it’s exact measurements, regular old cooking wing it!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Ladies and Gentlemen -

Thanks!

Signed,

A very hungry Shankster 

Well now...

Outside of golf I have worked in every type of restaurant over the past 20 years, and here are some secrets I was passed on:

First, rehydrate some dried chile. Guajillo is a good all around choice, Ancho gives you a more roasted flavor, Arbol gets it hot fast, and California Chiles are kind of mild. Rip the tops off, dump the seeds and soak until soft. 

Second, char onions and garlic. You can use your broiler, but stick them in there until they are literally black on top. You can also grill them. A few fresh tomatoes too. Sounds crazy, but really makes it solid. 

Third, ease up on the spices. Pace picante is cumin forward, for example, and lots of "gringo" salsa is heavy on taco type spice and sweet components. Nothing wrong with that, but you will always have that jarred taste. 

Last, take your rehydrated chile, burned aliums, charred tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, SALT and, if your prefer, some fresh chiles and blend it up. That will give you a pretty solid red salsa. Green is another story, but many of the same principles apply. Char is flavor.  Happy dipping. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

2 hours ago, Crowev01 said:

Well now...

Outside of golf I have worked in every type of restaurant over the past 20 years, and here are some secrets I was passed on:

First, rehydrate some dried chile. Guajillo is a good all around choice, Ancho gives you a more roasted flavor, Arbol gets it hot fast, and California Chiles are kind of mild. Rip the tops off, dump the seeds and soak until soft. 

Second, char onions and garlic. You can use your broiler, but stick them in there until they are literally black on top. You can also grill them. A few fresh tomatoes too. Sounds crazy, but really makes it solid. 

Third, ease up on the spices. Pace picante is cumin forward, for example, and lots of "gringo" salsa is heavy on taco type spice and sweet components. Nothing wrong with that, but you will always have that jarred taste. 

Last, take your rehydrated chile, burned aliums, charred tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, SALT and, if your prefer, some fresh chiles and blend it up. That will give you a pretty solid red salsa. Green is another story, but many of the same principles apply. Char is flavor.  Happy dipping. 

Nice,  thanks for the tips!  I’ll give it a try sometime.

Sorry folks, but FRUIT IN SALSA !!!! 

I know a 'little" about salsa, that's how I knew how ticked off my mother was at my step-father, if yo stuck a spoon in it and it melted,,,, stay away from her.

A good salsa is flavorful not just burning hot. 

Now, I like to keep it simple,,,, there is many types of salsa, my favorite is again, simple, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, cilantro , just a tad of lime juice, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic,, once you have all those ingredients mixed in, then ROAST either on the stove or grill your chiles, either jalapeno, serrano or green chiles (IF you can, try to use green chiles from Hatch New Mexico). Peel the skin off, cut the stem off, clean the inside , chopped them up and mix in with your prior ingredients. DONE! adjust hotness with amount of chiles.  Again, NO FRUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 10/25/2020 at 8:47 PM, MadMex said:

Sorry folks, but FRUIT IN SALSA !!!! 

I know a 'little" about salsa, that's how I knew how ticked off my mother was at my step-father, if yo stuck a spoon in it and it melted,,,, stay away from her.

A good salsa is flavorful not just burning hot. 

Now, I like to keep it simple,,,, there is many types of salsa, my favorite is again, simple, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, cilantro , just a tad of lime juice, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic,, once you have all those ingredients mixed in, then ROAST either on the stove or grill your chiles, either jalapeno, serrano or green chiles (IF you can, try to use green chiles from Hatch New Mexico). Peel the skin off, cut the stem off, clean the inside , chopped them up and mix in with your prior ingredients. DONE! adjust hotness with amount of chiles.  Again, NO FRUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I remember trying peach pico in Georgia that was half yellow tomatoes and half peach. It was a "when in Rome" kind of thing, and it was pretty good. But I couldn't call it salsa. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

5 minutes ago, Crowev01 said:

I agree. I remember trying peach pico in Georgia that was half yellow tomatoes and half peach. It was a "when in Rome" kind of thing, and it was pretty good. But I couldn't call it salsa. 

So what do we call these “things”?

Not salsa nor Relish... what is it? 

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Gringovations? 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You could argue that they are chutneys, because that's basically a fruit salsa with an acidic and spice component, but those are generally cooked.

A relish is similar, but typically raw and usually no spice. 

A compote is usually cooked, sweet and traditionally would lack a spicy component like peppers. 

It seems like a culinary no man's land we will just have to refer to as fruit salsa. Nothing says Florida like Marlin and pineapple Pico though. 🍍 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

1 hour ago, Crowev01 said:

You could argue that they are chutneys, because that's basically a fruit salsa with an acidic and spice component, but those are generally cooked.

A relish is similar, but typically raw and usually no spice. 

A compote is usually cooked, sweet and traditionally would lack a spicy component like peppers. 

It seems like a culinary no man's land we will just have to refer to as fruit salsa. Nothing says Florida like Marlin and pineapple Pico though. 🍍 

Chutney... I like it.  Fitting. 

49 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Chutney... I like it.  Fitting. 

That gives me a fantastic idea...an MGS salsa fitting! Testers wanted! 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

On 10/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, Crowev01 said:

Well now...

This is pretty much the method I use when making fresh salsa as well, but I like to toss a couple roasted garlic cloves. I got the recipe, or the majority of it, from this guy:

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond