Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

ITS OFFICIAL! - The "Belly Putter" Has Made It

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

439x-10.jpg?w=320

Over the past couple months the belly putter has become more and more popular...which has caused all kinds of people in the industry to weigh in with their opinion. Some think it is almost like cheating...I would disagree. Especially when you compare it to other technologies that have been and still are in the game.

But this week I feel like the "Belly Putter" has officially made it...well it will if Phil Mickelson keeps the one he has been practicing with in his bag for the Deutsche Bank Pro-Am.

Mickelson said, “I wouldn't rule [a long putter] out,” he said at Plainfield Country Club. “But I think there are certain things technique-wise that you have to understand to do it well, to putt well with it.

QUESTION IS: Do you think this will start a long lasting trend in golfers bag around the country....or do you think it will just be a fad?

#TruthDigest

I just put an Adams A7 select BP in my bag tuesday played 9 last night and and shot 43 with 1 3 putt so its staying and I love it. I guess Bones will need to get used to Phil if he bags one I say 90% chance he will

I don't think the popularity of the belly putter will ever change much. For every guy who is a bit better with it (keep in mind, Adam Scott was first on the PGA Tour in strokes gained-putting in 2004 with a regular putter, and is 134th this year with the long putter), there are a dozen guys who are 10 times worse with the belly putter (count me in that group).

I think it will be the hot thing for a while, it might spill over a bit into next year, but then I think you will see it drop back to "normal"/pre-PGA Championship levels. The guys who try it will realize it's not a permanent fix. That said, I am so frustrated with my own putting right now that I am thinking about a long putter.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Well as of this week I have been practicing with one. I putted with a Ping 690I broomhandle for 2 years. I got where I could not putt with it so I switched back to my old reliable Ping Anser (have owned since new about 1974) I was not a consistant as I used to be with it. I had a Bobby Grace Mark 5 tour head that I had converted into a belly putter a couple of years ago and had never used. i pulled it out of the building last week and have been practicing with it this week.Like Phil said it takes some getting used to. In practice I have learned to line it up. I am a handsy forward press putter with a conventional putter and as I get older my hands do not work as well as they used to. I seem to be getting a more positive stroke with the belly puter and the ball seems to wobble less. i hope to play next weekend and see how the belly putter does in the heat of battle

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived