2021 Testing Season: what do you want to see?

Our Sponsors

I would love to see the ZX series irons and woods, the new APEX irons and Epic woods, I’m also looking intensely at the Odyssey Ten line of putters, Mizuno irons...I would really love to see the PXG 0211 line tested but I doubt that would ever happen

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously, big ticket items are fun to read about. But there are small ticket items I would love to see, also: More DTC brands. I think the Sub70 test last year was wildly successful. Would lo

Would love to see a company do a utility iron + hybrid test. Each tester gets both clubs in a similar loft and then testing centers around on course performance comparisons 

Just gonna leave this one here....Will more than happily test a SIMULATOR

Posted Images

Obviously, big ticket items are fun to read about. But there are small ticket items I would love to see, also:
  • More DTC brands. I think the Sub70 test last year was wildly successful. Would love to see their wedges. But brands like Haywood Golf, Ballistic Golf, Golfworks, etc. 
  • Bringing back something like the Ping long game challenge would be cool. That was an amazing opportunity for the testers and a fun read.
  • Shaft testing is intriguing, but kind of difficult to execute. We've had some really good efforts with the past ones, though.
  • Experiences (though tough to do with COVID). 
  • Things like the Groove-It club brush, or the fancy ball markers that supposedly help with alignment.
  • Perhaps a series of lessons on Skillest or similar. Give someone a free couple of months to see what they could do with their game. 
I will say, after participating in the #CobraConnect stuff, I think there are opportunities for reviews to expand upon just "this is the club, here's how I did with it." It would be cool to create challenges similar to #CC. Like for a driver test, do a woods and wedges competition. I think it can bring more forum participation and also another side to the review. Obviously, the OEMs would need to be OK with this, and I'm not sure how they'd feel.

I like the contest ones, cobra connect was really fun to follow. But as I’ve learned from experience, apply wisely! I for example knew I couldn’t commit to the connect challenge demands so I didn’t apply, as much fun as it seemed!
I like the idea of a long drive contest with a DTC driver, I heard sub 70 is releasing a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 10* Driver

:cobra-small: F9 14.5* 3W

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5*

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid 😍

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 4-PW

:cobra-small: MIM 50*, 55*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

On 2/27/2021 at 8:36 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Forum Testing is targeted obviously to our Forum readers who are more likely interested in details of how a particular driver worked for someone that may have similar swing DNA to them, over a period of 4-6 weeks which likely includes several rounds and range sessions

Safe to say the forum testing serves the participating OEMs just as equally as it does the forum members?

The way I like to think about it is that Most Wanted is the "here and now", what's available.. or soon to be available and forum testing is for the future i.e. clubs/equipment that hasn't come out yet and the OEMs are looking for consumer feedback before putting the final stamp on next year's product. 

Am I far off? 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / UST ProForce V2 Black F4S++  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

In addition to the competitions... I’d like to the:
odyssey 10 two ball
The align XL ball test was fun, do a little putting comp with that?
MC MMT shafts 🤤
SIK putter
Edison Wedges
Golf board
Electric push cart!
I mean there’s so many things!!!!

• Like 6

I really would like someone to drop off one of those finn cycles. I believe playing my course would put this through its paces. Just a suggestion 🤣

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

So many good ideas here.  

How about one where you give us components and instructions, and we assemble a club ourselves.  Then we play it.

And @Golfspy_CG2 - I picked up your reference.  But I was little when AB was on, I swear!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Hmmm 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also we wouldn't want it to be like the GolfDigest comments, "the best feeling driver of bunch"  type of thing.

Amen to that!

• Like 2

Here is is a suggestion which is WAAAAYYYYY out of he box and would be fun plus open some eyes,,,

Members summit their current driver model and specs i.e shaft and grip,,, THEN

those chosen are sent a 5 or 10 year old driver, same brand, same shaft same grip,,

then test results are revealed,,,,,,,, was their current gamer that much better ? 

( I know,,, I've been wanting major OEM's to do this) 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

9 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I like the idea of a long drive contest with a DTC driver, I heard sub 70 is releasing a new one!

They are and it looks 🔥

• Like 4

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Lots of great gear already identified and that I would love the opportunity to review. I may have missed it but the rumored PING i59 is of particular interest to me.  There is much speculation about its design and whether it's simply a return to the iBlade series or ???

PXG's 0211 Driver has my eye and interest. I had an opportunity to hit it a few times last week (golfing friend just bought one) and, while his x-stiff shaft isn't for me, still had nice flight and loved the sound.

Cobra's RADSPEED series, Taylormade's SIM series, and Callaway's Epic series are also of interest.

I'm also interested in the fairway wood offerings from those listed above along with PING's, Titleist, and Tour Edge

With regards to iron sets, I'm particularly interested to see what stock and upgrade composite shaft options are being offered. 

Since a mallet style putter was identified as my best fit (Evnroll ER5), I'd love to test new offerings in this category; Taylormade Spider X/EX and FCG, Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X and Select Special, and Odyssey Toulon.

And, of course, I'd love to review a Skytrak or GC2 home hitting studio 🤩.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Here is is a suggestion which is WAAAAYYYYY out of he box and would be fun plus open some eyes,,,

Members summit their current driver model and specs i.e shaft and grip,,, THEN
those chosen are sent a 5 or 10 year old driver, same brand, same shaft same grip,,
then test results are revealed,,,,,,,, was their current gamer that much better ? 

( I know,,, I've been wanting major OEM's to do this) 

Also you could do a comp with a custom fit DTC brand driver with upgraded shaft, preferred grip- the whole 9 vs an of the rack big OEM driver test?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Without a doubt the forum testers provide an in-depth look at products.  They are hands on for weeks or months.  Who doesn’t learn a ton from those folks.

This!  It's how I ended up on MGS.  I'd been researching info on irons and how pro and pro/amateurs liked them. Video reviews of players hitting 7i's 200 yards were awesome but not my reality. I stumbled on one of our "Official Testing Reviews" being done by a more representative mix of players, and immediately thought, how awesome.  I'd never heard of MGS prior to that. The type questions and comments were so much more meaningful.  Our mods/staff do a great job selecting testers for each product and one can usually find themselves and their game/skillset represented.

Add to that the Hit Squad Testers, who also represent and mix of capability, and one would be hard pressed to find a more candid source of information that moves past the hype.

• Like 9

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

A big second to @cnosil's input concerning the DECADE system.  Granted that's a long term review but I think it'd be very valuable to the community and probably open some eyes for all of us.

The new STACK system would also be a good one.  

On the equipment side, agree with a lot of folks that a Srixon iron test would be intriguing.  Also on my list would be the new Mizuno fairway woods and ES21 wedges.  Newer Honma offerings like the TR21 fairways and hybrids as well. 

Either way I'm excited to see what's coming!

• Like 6

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

32 minutes ago, Shankster said:

If Bob Parsons is willing to part ways with a set of those 0211 ST Blades... I know a guy. 

Been hitting the Gen 4s and all I can say is that they are a major improvement to prior year models.   

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Lots of people have already mentioned this but the Odyssey 2-Ball Ten is top of the list. Just got fitted for the rest of my bag and picked up a KS1 as putter of choice but love the look of the 2-Ball and Ten combination so might be a spot in the new collection for a mallet putter to game as well. 

Other than that a good push/pull cart for walking. Feel like a lot of folks are wanting to walk more (me included) and would love that option. 

• Like 1

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Along the same lines as the hybrid/utility comparison that others mentioned, I think a 4i test between a GI/players distance, or players distance/players iron would be interesting to shed light on what is a common trouble spot in most amateur bags.

I'd LOVE to see a test of the heavier MMT shafts since they are apparently all the rage but really hard to actually test even with many fitters, but I realize that is a small market.

I'm sure the big names will continue to be well represented since they seem to be well aware of the impact MGS has on the market. I am ready to drool over any/all PD/players iron reviews. I am even more interested in whatever is in store for the DTC companies (assuming they continue to participate). The Sub 70 and Hogan reviews from last year were some of the most interesting to me since detailed information on those brands is a bit harder to find relative to the big 5. Maybe Haywood/New Level this year? 

• Like 3

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope MGS grabs about six DownUnder Boards for the community to test.   I am soooooo impressed with this simple but highly effective training aid.  I'm enjoying an easy to understand, easy to use, and one that I can see immediate results.  The all in one board (where you can adjust the length) is on the expensive side at $100.00 bucks. With that said I would gladly spend a Franklin again as it's easy and the darn thing works. The plus is you don't have to be a stud athlete to use it so us duffers can reap the benefits too.  

If the Forum doesn't  pick a few DUBs for members to test, I'll consider giving a full blown review of this puppy in the non official testing. 

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, hartrick11 said:

Along the same lines as the hybrid/utility comparison that others mentioned, I think a 4i test between a GI/players distance, or players distance/players iron would be interesting to shed light on what is a common trouble spot in most amateur bags.

I'd LOVE to see a test of the heavier MMT shafts since they are apparently all the rage but really hard to actually test even with many fitters, but I realize that is a small market.

I'm sure the big names will continue to be well represented since they seem to be well aware of the impact MGS has on the market. I am ready to drool over any/all PD/players iron reviews. I am even more interested in whatever is in store for the DTC companies (assuming they continue to participate). The Sub 70 and Hogan reviews from last year were some of the most interesting to me since detailed information on those brands is a bit harder to find relative to the big 5. Maybe Haywood/New Level this year? 

+1 for MMT test if Mitsubishi could get involved in a remote fitting process that would be a sick test! I know a lot of people are curious about graphite shafts and some of us are pulling the trigger pretty blindly *wink wink you know who you guys are*

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip | :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

22 minutes ago, yungkory said:

+1 for MMT test if Mitsubishi could get involved in a remote fitting process that would be a sick test! I know a lot of people are curious about graphite shafts and some of us are pulling the trigger pretty blindly *wink wink you know who you guys are*

I may or may not be going in blindly on graphite shafts for irons, but not MMTs

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2