Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

Low trajectory shots (windy conditions)

Since I posted about wedge play and got so many great responses, figured this was worth a shot as well. 

Any great resources, teachings, etc. for working on lower trajectory shots, especially for windy conditions (more so than punching out from underneath trees, etc, although I suppose that would still apply). Played yesterday and ball striking was the best it's felt but I have really high ball flight and I pured a handful of shots from the fairway that got up in the wind and rather than landing on the green or close, got caught up in a left to right wind coming back, and ended up 30 yards right. Eventually I started just aiming way left and throwing it up there and praying but obviously would love to develop a shot to use in these conditions. Any go-to resources on learning this shot?

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I go down 2 clubs and take a 3/4 swing. Less spin so it won't rise into the wind.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 minutes ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Since I posted about wedge play and got so many great responses, figured this was worth a shot as well. 

Any great resources, teachings, etc. for working on lower trajectory shots, especially for windy conditions (more so than punching out from underneath trees, etc, although I suppose that would still apply). Played yesterday and ball striking was the best it's felt but I have really high ball flight and I pured a handful of shots from the fairway that got up in the wind and rather than landing on the green or close, got caught up in a left to right wind coming back, and ended up 30 yards right. Eventually I started just aiming way left and throwing it up there and praying but obviously would love to develop a shot to use in these conditions. Any go-to resources on learning this shot?

Four simple words.  More club, smooth swing.  The harder you swing, the more backspin you get, the higher the ball flies, and the more the wind affects it.  If you think its one club against, hit two clubs more and swing smooth.  Less spin, the ball will fly lower and bore through the wind.

Separately, learn to hit the ball lower more of the time, especially with your shorter irons.  Watch the tour pros hit wedges, they are almost all hitting lower trajectories, it will help your control and consistency.

BTW, I'm a neighbor of sorts, live in Reston, work near Waterford, and play golf at Stoneleigh in Round Hill.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Playing golf in windy weather is another Skillset that needs to be learned. The first aspect is ball flight control by adjusting trajectory. Simple answer is move the ball back and/or deloft the club. Taking partial swings/punch shot will help lower the trajectory.

The other aspect is learning to read the wind and figuring out how much the wind influences distance downwind, upwind, and quartering wind. As you learned the wind will also increase the curve on big hooks and slices.

Before really worrying about the wind work on controlling trajectory again no shortcuts, have to get out and actually experiment with hitting those shots.

I say don’t worry about the wind initially because you need to learn how different trajectories influence distance. After you learn how the shot is impacted with no wind you can then apply wind calculations

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Practice, practice, practice & then ... you guessed it, practice some more.  You have to get out & experiment with different things to see what works.  Most common practice is to, as everyone knows, move the ball back & hit a punch shot.  But it's not that simple.  Yes, move the ball back about 2 balls from center, but don't swing hard, make a slow, methodical swing, so as to not impart a lot of spin.  Swinging hard imparts too much spin, spin = danger into wind.  When in doubt, take more club.  If you think it's a one club wind, most likely it's more than that, so take an extra club.  Swing low, both backswing & forward swing.  I like to go waist high to waist high .... never a complete swing.  That way it starts off low & stays there.  I've hit as much as a 4-iron 150 yards, into a 2-club wind, & come up short.  

So next real windy day, go to the range & try things out.  Even if it's not windy, practice knockdown shots, they are pretty much the same thing.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

On 3/31/2021 at 11:37 AM, DaveP043 said:

Four simple words.  More club, smooth swing.  The harder you swing, the more backspin you get, the higher the ball flies, and the more the wind affects it.  If you think its one club against, hit two clubs more and swing smooth.  Less spin, the ball will fly lower and bore through the wind.

Separately, learn to hit the ball lower more of the time, especially with your shorter irons.  Watch the tour pros hit wedges, they are almost all hitting lower trajectories, it will help your control and consistency.

BTW, I'm a neighbor of sorts, live in Reston, work near Waterford, and play golf at Stoneleigh in Round Hill.

Yeah. I'm definitely working on lower ball flight as mine is really high. Occasionally this works to my advantage as ball lands coming straight down but I think I'm probably sacrificing some distance with trajectory and wouldn't lose a lot of precision with it being lower (would still be really high)

And that's awesome! I know a few folks who are members up at Stoneleigh and have told a couple guys that I'd get out there with them once the game is good enough where I'm not embarrassing myself. I drive past the course on my way out to Front Royal to play the courses that are more in my price range but would love to be a member at Stoneleigh one day!

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX