Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Finally completing my set with a 3 Wood and 4 Hybrid!!

Ryan Learns to Golf

When I started golfing 3 years ago, my wife bought me a box set to get started, but I quickly got fitted for a driver, irons, wedges, and 3 hybrid. I decided to stop there until I got better and kept the 4-hybrid and 3-wood from the box set in the bag.  

I've mainly used my 3-hybrid as my longest club other than driver, and the gap between my 3-hybrid and 5-iron has always been filled with me trying to smash the 5 or hit a smooth 3-hybrid. I'd randomly hit the 3-wood and 4-hybrid when the situation really called for it, but results were not always promising so I've never trusted them completely.

My mother-in-law, in support of my golf addiction, decided to buy me a 4-hybrid as a birthday present. I went to Roger Dunn in Seal Beach (highly recommended! The staff there are super friendly and helpful) and went through a "fitting". I used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, and my fitter Jennifer recommended some shafts for me to try out. I was set on getting an adjustable hybrid so she had me test out the PING G425 and the Titleist TS2. I hit both solidly. Performance-wise, they were nearly identical with the TS2 having slightly smaller left-right dispersion. My decision came down to feel, and I settled on the TS2 with a Tensei Blue 70 shaft as it felt nearly automatic when swinging. I felt like I had to do little to no manipulation with my swing, and the weight helped me feel in control throughout the swing.

In my excitement in the moment, I decided to ask for a 3-wood fitting as well since we didn't take much time with the 4-hybrid. I told my fitter I was ok with trying something with a bit more loft like 16.5*. She handed me a few clubs, and I decided to test them blind. I knew one of that they were a Callaway, a Taylormade, and a PING but I didn't know which head and what loft. As I tested, I felt that the Callaway felt light, and I could swing fast, but the result was not as good as I felt that the strike was. I did not get good hits often with the PING, and I felt that I was struggling to swing properly and square the face. The Taylormade produced the best results with consistent carry and rollout numbers. The Callaway had a couple of longer carry distances, but they were few and far between. The Taylormade was the winner, and to my surprise it was a 16.5* while the Callaway and PING were both 15*. I wasn't completely convinced it was the wood for my, but I decided to buy it and try it out on the course given Roger Dunn's very generous return policy.

I've only tested the new clubs on the range (where the felt fantastic) and will do a 9-hole test today to see if these clubs plug the distance gaps I need them to. My main concern is that the TS2 goes too far, but with adjustability I should be able to dial it back a bit. I also need to see how comfortable I am with the 3-wood (*ahem* 4-wood) and see if I can build confidence standing over the ball with it.

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

Those both seem like great choices. A little surprised your fitter didn’t have you try the Titliest TSi2 3W given you’re decision to buy the Titleist hybrid.

I think one thing to consider given the Titliest adjustability in your hybrid is to fit it for a specific distance and not for how far you can hit it. Figure out the gap yardage between the 5i & 3HL (say 190 yds) and dial in the hybrid adjustability on the SureFit hosel to that yardage regardless of what the number printed on the club says. If you can’t get it, go back and go up or down in stated loft until you reach your goal.

As for the 3HL (16.5) not surprised it goes a little further. That slight increase in launch angle combined with being a bit easier to hit off the deck often results in better face contact at impact keeping the ball in the air longer for more overall distance. Again, the Titleist SureFit adapter adjustability should have provided that option as well.

Strange is just a different point of view

On 7/2/2021 at 6:19 AM, Oudefart said:

Those both seem like great choices. A little surprised your fitter didn’t have you try the Titliest TSi2 3W given you’re decision to buy the Titleist hybrid.

I think one thing to consider given the Titliest adjustability in your hybrid is to fit it for a specific distance and not for how far you can hit it. Figure out the gap yardage between the 5i & 3HL (say 190 yds) and dial in the hybrid adjustability on the SureFit hosel to that yardage regardless of what the number printed on the club says. If you can’t get it, go back and go up or down in stated loft until you reach your goal.

As for the 3HL (16.5) not surprised it goes a little further. That slight increase in launch angle combined with being a bit easier to hit off the deck often results in better face contact at impact keeping the ball in the air longer for more overall distance. Again, the Titleist SureFit adapter adjustability should have provided that option as well.

Thanks for the feedback! We actually increased the loft by two degrees on the 4-hybrid to dial it back a bit. I forgot to mention that during the fitting I tried the hybrid marked as a 5 to see if that would better fit my yardages, but it only reached the distance that I wanted (185 yards) on my really good strikes, so we decided to take the 4-hybrid and add loft.

I'm actually going to go back and try the TSi2 3w as you suggested because I just found out they have a 16.5* as well. I'll report back with what I find. I'm not completely sold on the SIM 2 Max yet, although it's performed fairly well on the course so far. It just doesn't feel 100% comfortable yet.

Here's the first hole where I used both clubs! The first hole at Los Verdes Golf Course is a par 5 that dog legs 90 degrees left. From the white tees, a well-placed long-iron can get you into the fairway with about 220 yards to the green.

I hit my 4-hybrid off the tee 220 yards down the hill with a big hop down the fairway.

Second shot was my 3 wood which went about 195 yards uphill to the bottom of the hill by the green.

I got up onto the green with a 56 degree pitch and two-putted for par.

I felt pretty good about the clubs after that, but the rest of the round didn't go so well 😅

Edited by Ryan Learns to Golf