Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lifting arms during takeway

I'm trying to emulate hogans method where left arm just elevate and the spine rotates it, but I'm having trouble getting consistency lifting the arm in the same 3d position during the takeaway, because I either lift my arm quickly causing it to be far ahead or slowly causing it to be near my body

Should the arm start to elevate at the exact same moment as your shoulder and hips turn, or should you  turn the hips & shoulders followed by a split second later elevating the arms?

It happens throughout the backswing. Once the shaft starts going from half way between address and shaft parallel the arm lift starts to happen.

https://youtu.be/27DiWQOkq88

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Timmytoe said:

From looking at that video the spine & hips is rotating first, and the arms start to lift when he bends his knee [nearest to the target] forward

It’s one fluid motion. The chest rotates before the hip by a small fraction. The entire golf swing is under 2.5 seconds there’s not much time in the golf swing to say x moves before y. The chest is going to rotate about 15* before the hips move then it’s going to be 30 for shoulders sbd 15 for hips, til the top where theres 90/45. The swing is about 1/2 over by time the lead arm is parallel.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

When players waggle is that caused by them bringing their arms back or rotating their spine back?

I've read your shoulders are what moves your arms, so that must mean the waggle is started by rotating your spine \shoulders back

Edited by Timmytoe
2 hours ago, Timmytoe said:

When players waggle is that caused by them bringing their arms back or rotating their spine back?

I've read your shoulders are what moves your arms, so that must mean the waggle is started by rotating your spine \shoulders back

The waggle is a wrist movement. In hogans book he talks about the waggle too. Dufner as an example of a waggler uses it as a way to no be stationary over the ball but as a way to introduce movement and flow into the swing.

Some golfers will switch between lifting left and right heel to get movement and when they feel ready the pressure in the lead heel will start to lessen and they start their swing.

In your original post you say you can’t get into the same 3D position as hogan. Have you done a gears or some Tibet 3D type swing analysis?

What are you using to emulate hogans swing?