Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Ball Spin

Gavwlee

A bit of a rookie question, especially considering I've been playing 15+ years. I've always played a ball with a bit less spin (old school Pro-V1x and then Bridgestone B330) but in coming back to the game a year ago, I've gravitated toward a ball with a bit more spin (Bridgestone Tour B XS) for increased greenside control. Something I've noticed is that the XS has a lot more curvature in flight than other lower spin options (AVX, Vice Pro Plus, Tour B RX, Tour B X, new ProV1). Does the XS' higher spin result in more side spin also or are they completely different?

Looking at the 2021 MGS Ball Test, driver spin rate varies only by 100-200 RPM and by 700+ RPM with the 8 iron between the XS and the lower spin options, which doesn't seem like much on a <7 second flight. Makes me think it isn't ball and just me, but I had to be sure before searching for a different ball.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

This is why human testing is necessary.  Robotic testing gives you the results given a consistent swing across all the balls as shows performance with limited variables.   You can easily see a balls performance.   When we hit balls, club delivery varies, spin axis varies, and weather conditions vary from shot to shot.   Even balls that spin the same aren’t the same as they often have different dimple patterns which affect the balls aerodynamics.  Put all of this together and some balls will work better for your swing and typical weather conditions.  

ultimately the MGS ball testing gives you comparisons across brands to quantify the  manufacturers claims of soft, firm, high spin, low launch, etc.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is why human testing is necessary.  Robotic testing gives you the results given a consistent swing across all the balls as shows performance with limited variables.   You can easily see a balls performance.   When we hit balls, club delivery varies, spin axis varies, and weather conditions vary from shot to shot.   Even balls that spin the same aren’t the same as they often have different dimple patterns which affect the balls aerodynamics.  Put all of this together and some balls will work better for your swing and typical weather conditions.  

ultimately the MGS ball testing gives you comparisons across brands to quantify the  manufacturers claims of soft, firm, high spin, low launch, etc.   

Yep. A lot of spin comes down to the individual and technique. I was just at a golf store a few days ago looking at possible replacements for my wedges for next season. Same club, same ball but being lazy with my technique dropped my 58 degree's spin from ~9600 to ~7500. When I saw that, I hit a few more being a lot more conscious about what I was doing and I got it back up to ~9800. And that was in a closed environment where I didn't have to think about weather. 

Even the pros can struggle at times controlling spin. So just focus on which ball works best for you in terms of feel, looks, price and results. For me, that's the Kirkland Sig Performance V2 and whatever high quality balls I find during my round. To others, it's a brand new Pro V1. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 4 weeks later...

The "spin" metric is so over rated if you ask me because NOBODY can measure spin after it leaves the club face.  you can "control" spin with your swing by employing different techniques....

i would love to see a test of how much a ball is spinning when it hits the green......but without that, i just try to control descent angle as best i can. Ive played "spinny" balls and "low spin" balls all with the same results depending on my swing.

Golf is cool

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, Tsecor said:

The "spin" metric is so over rated if you ask me because NOBODY can measure spin after it leaves the club face.  you can "control" spin with your swing by employing different techniques....

i would love to see a test of how much a ball is spinning when it hits the green......but without that, i just try to control descent angle as best i can. Ive played "spinny" balls and "low spin" balls all with the same results depending on my swing.

Well maybe not measure it, but you can calculate it because they are all fly through the air which is relatively consistent. The answer is about 3.5 % per second in the air. Here is some math, and explanation for where it comes from. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

5 minutes ago, Rhinosparky said:

The range ball is a low spin tough cover cheap ball with little spin.

Not always the case.  In the 2021 MGS ball test they included a range ball.  I copied their findings below but off driver spin was in the range of hi performance balls and  they were excessively spinny  off irons.

Pinnacle Practice Balls  In the driver portion of the test, the range balls performed admirably enough that we started to wonder if we were wrong about their usability in a fitting scenario. Their performance on irons (excessively spinny) and wedges (frighteningly not spinny) provided further evidence that you shouldn’t be hitting range balls during a fitting (or anywhere else … other than the range).

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am curious, is that movement on both driver and irons? Because on driver the BXS ends up being on the low spin side, which could give it more lateral movement.

But I think you answered your own question in a way, if the BXS is having more lateral movement then you want to see, try something else out.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, AndySP said:

Well maybe not measure it, but you can calculate it because they are all fly through the air which is relatively consistent. The answer is about 3.5 % per second in the air. Here is some math, and explanation for where it comes from. 

i have read that in the past and its great an all but IMO. descent angle is where its at for iron play....you know that pin is 150 yards out, hit it high and 150.....drop it right on that number if you can.....dont worry about spin........lots of guys like to hit that shot 160 and draw the ball back but  to me, thats just luck and another factor you cannot control.....

id love to see spin #'s when the ball actually hits a green but even then, the hardness of the green comes into play.  I truly believe the average golfer spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this stuff and tries to incorporate this into their on course game....its pointless to me.......fun to talk about but pointless for the average player......i hear guys on the course who cannot break 100 talking about spin rates and thier $500 driver they cannot hit over 200 yards..... its all craziness to me......

Golf is cool

If I catch a urethane ball crisp on a chip it comes up 10’ short. If I don’t it rolls just as far as a non urethane ball. Lol

heres a test I have never seen. Drop a ball in green side rough and test it’s spin. 

While I’m no short game magician and there for represent most golfers, I think loft and feel are more important than robot tested spin rates.