Birdie juice

JerryB

Recently stumbled across the idea of birdie juice and I'm intrigued.  Does anyone else partake?  

My son and I are still new to the game, and many of our regular partners aren't great, so birdies are still generally rare.  I assume anything goes, but how do others do it?  Bottle? Flask? Tiny mini fridge bottles?  How about a mixed drink or straight?  

Just kinda curious.  Neither of us drink much but we dig the idea of celebrating the little victories.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

If you choose to partake, be a good golfer and buy it from the beverage cart or clubhouse. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

The course I worked at and group I played in had this tradition. I would choose to not partake and instead be sure to get a round or two at the clubhouse after (it should be noted they did as well). It wasn't as tho they were bringing in cases and with this group birdies were maybe 1 per round so it really was a bit of a special occasion. 

I should also note that the first hole for me was a reachable par 5 and when starting a round at 6am I was often hesitant to make a birdie as didn't want to get them going too early haha... but yeah it was okay with the club as typically it was a flask of whisky... not cases of beer which was not allowed. 

I think there is a fine line with it and supporting the course is way more important then having a sip of your own whiskey for a birdie, but the tradition I do like. Buy a few rounds before heading out onto the course and if a birdie is recorded then have fun with it!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 hours ago, Riverboat said:

And it's the course, not you, that suffers the legal consequences.

So... you're saying I'm in the clear? 😁

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

3 minutes ago, JerryB said:

So... you're saying I'm in the clear? 😁

Of course!  Sometimes, however, it has to become "net birdie juice" or perhaps even "par juice".  🤣  Golf is a game; games are supposed to be fun.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

18 hours ago, russtopherb said:

If you choose to partake, be a good golfer and buy it from the beverage cart or clubhouse. 

Does it change the calculus if it's not offered?  On weekend rounds I'd generally buy a beer or two at the turn, but I don't believe they serve harder stuff at my home course.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

37 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Does it change the calculus if it's not offered?  On weekend rounds I'd generally buy a beer or two at the turn, but I don't believe they serve harder stuff at my home course.

My feeling on that is, if you buy a couple of beers at the turn or at the end of the round, and you’re not sneaking entire bottles out on the course, at least you’re doing your part to help support the course. Yeah, there are legal issues always involved, but for me personally, it’s more about supporting the courses so we don’t have to complain in a few years that everyone is closing once the boom is over. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

2 minutes ago, Pandaman said:

I guess 'bogie juice' just sounds a lot less appetizing.

Well, "Bogeys Happen"; sometimes you might need the juice to get a jump start and move on to pars & birdies.  Or...  not really care about your score any longer.  Any of these options work.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

"Swing Lube", thats what we call it.. I keep a flask in my bag usually with good quality vodka as most of my local courses Just have beer on the carts.. that way I can buy a juice or gatorade and mix a drink. Father in law always kept a pint of Schnaps.. we always get something at the turn and end of the round. but on the course a quick pull might just be what I need to turn a round around or keep it going.. So I say Enjoy, but be mindful of course and their rules and local laws.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

On 2/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, MGoBlue100 said:

Of course!  Sometimes, however, it has to become "net birdie juice" or perhaps even "par juice".  🤣  Golf is a game; games are supposed to be fun.

Bogie juice is more fun!!

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little browsing at the grocery store over the weekend and stumbled across these:

ole-smoky-moonshine-pickles.png.ab29c9fae5234508635c3e9ee00b694c.png

I wonder if I can make birdie pickles a thing?? 🤣

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

6 hours ago, JerryB said:

Did a little browsing at the grocery store over the weekend and stumbled across these:

ole-smoky-moonshine-pickles.png.ab29c9fae5234508635c3e9ee00b694c.png

I wonder if I can make birdie pickles a thing?? 🤣

They are terrible. I worked at a bar before the vid hit and we had them. They are a very acquired taste.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Being in Tennessee and Ole Smoky is right up the road as well as other Moonshine establishments I can tell you first hand NO PICKLES or PINEAPPLE. They are horrible. The cherries are ok in a drink but not by themselves either.  However they all make small sampler bottles in the different flavors. Each bottle is about a shot and a half. Easily fits in the golf bag!

Apple Pie and Peach flavor are about the best. Blackberry is god awful no matter what you mix it with. Watermelon and White Lightning not so good.

However take Orange Moonshine and add a little vanilla coffee creamer and it tastes like a creamsicle pop. The best is take Peach Moonshine and add equal parts of lemonade and sweat tea (you can buy country time half and half). 

OK I might just have some experience! 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Birdie juice is a common occurrence with some of the guys I play with. They just have a small flask of Irish or Scotch, and offer a disposable cup (since Covid) to each player on the next tee after a birdie or better. The "servings" are at most about a tablespoon worth. There's no chance any of us will have too much as when the flask is empty, no more servings - and no one I know makes sure their flasks are full when they start. Worst case with a full 6-8 ounce flask, would be 1-1/2 to 2 ounces per person - if there are 3-4 birdies. If anyone wants to stop at any point, declining is fine.

Birdie juice is a small celebration/recognition - it's not about alcohol. Players who choose to drink, aren't depending on birdie juice.

I don't feel bad about the practice as no course I play at has a regular beverage cart, when they do come around it's only beer, and the whole point of toasting a birdie is right after it happens - not when/if the beverage cart comes around. At the clubhouse is silly, if you want a beer/drink you buy one after the round - nothing to do with birdies. All of us make sure we buy as much from the club as possible, I am sure they wouldn't be so short sighted as to complain about "birdie juice." YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4
12 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I want to hang with you for a weekend. 

When we do trade shows for work, we bring a bar and offer Moonshine concoctions. Guess who is responsible to go do the taste testing before hand to see what we should bring? We used to bring around 400 jars but we had a lot of potential or what we thought was potential customers not wanting to leave our booth and it was causing a traffic jam of people. So we had to keep them under the bar and just let known customers in on the deal or if someone stopped and was interested in the product we would entice them with some flavor! 

I can actually look out the window of my office and see one of the distilleries. It's crazy. You walk in for a taste testing show your ID for age verification and get 10 shots for free. Their shot glasses are a little less than 1/2 a real shot. But after 10 the buzz is on. All free but they have a tip jar. They want to get you feeling good so you buy a quart for $25.00. After 10 shots they start tasting better! 🤪   

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Being in Tennessee and Ole Smoky is right up the road as well as other Moonshine establishments I can tell you first hand NO PICKLES or PINEAPPLE. They are horrible. The cherries are ok in a drink but not by themselves either.  However they all make small sampler bottles in the different flavors. Each bottle is about a shot and a half. Easily fits in the golf bag!

Apple Pie and Peach flavor are about the best. Blackberry is god awful no matter what you mix it with. Watermelon and White Lightning not so good.

However take Orange Moonshine and add a little vanilla coffee creamer and it tastes like a creamsicle pop. The best is take Peach Moonshine and add equal parts of lemonade and sweat tea (you can buy country time half and half). 

“Sweat” tea?  🤮 

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

18 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

“Sweat” tea?  🤮 

I don't like it either! But mixed with the lemonade and Moonshine. BINGO

Wait...it's not REALLY called "sweat tea," right?  I know the South is hot and all, but...isn't it still "Sweet Tea" ? 😉 

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

2 minutes ago, Jondough said:

Wait...it's not REALLY called "sweat tea," right?  I know the South is hot and all, but...isn't it still "Sweet Tea" ? 😉 

That's what happens when you rush to do something while your supposed to be working!  But eat one of those pickle and you will sweat!

Just now, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That's what happens when you rush to do something while your supposed to be working!  But eat one of those pickle and you will sweat!

Hah. "Eat one of those pickles and you will sweat" - I heard that a lot in prison.  (I like to pretend I'm very, very tough and have ever done anything illegal. Lol. My life is sad.)

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 3/16/2022 at 7:31 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Geez dude, don't give up your location the ATF already have to much free info.  LOL

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

That's why I play with better golfers they always have a "Birdie Bottle", not an actual bottle but in a flask or whatever. I usually don't have to worry about it much, If aged is better I should have the best whiskey ever as it never gets opened.

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

3 hours ago, JFish350 said:

That's why I play with better golfers they always have a "Birdie Bottle", not an actual bottle but in a flask or whatever. I usually don't have to worry about it much, If aged is better I should have the best whiskey ever as it never gets opened.

Work on it this season.

I can't drink and play. My game goes in the toilet. Although I do get birdies in a round unfortunately they could be followed by a bogey. I'm a lightweight two shots and I'd be pulled over on my big 2 mile drive home. Then while I'm sporting my newly acquired orange jump suit, I'll be found on the side of the road replacing all the mailboxes I hit. 🤣

3 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Hmmm............. seems to me like "birdie juice" should be frowned upon because you aren't buying it from the golf course. Or.... is this somehow different from bringing your own beer??? 🤔

I'm a dew sweeper and the club house isn't even open untill 11:00. No drinks are served out of the pro shop (separate buildings). If your thirsty you better bring something with you or all you will get is water. 

16 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Hmmm............. seems to me like "birdie juice" should be frowned upon because you aren't buying it from the golf course. Or.... is this somehow different from bringing your own beer??? 🤔

That is a debate for sure. I normally do not bring my own beer and I never or rarely have a flask with me. I can count on one hand how many times I have brought a flask and maybe 20% of the time I'll bring my own beer. More times than not I will go in after for at minimum a drink or two and food. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm a dew sweeper and the club house isn't even open untill 11:00. No drinks are served out of the pro shop (separate buildings). If your thirsty you better bring something with you or all you will get is water. 

I understand, but it is still "against the law" to bring your own... no?

1 minute ago, silver & black said:

I understand, but it is still "against the law" to bring your own... no?

I don't believe it's against any law. More than likely against course rules, but you won't go to jail for bringing beer to a golf course. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter