Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Long or "Broomstick" Putters - Anyone?

GolfSpy TCB

On 12/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, YamYam said:

I've got two broomhandles.

A Ping B90 and a Scotty Cameron Studio, (the one with the four coloured dots)

I loved them when I could play with them but now because of the anchoring ban, I only take them out in social games.

I got sick of people accusing me of breaking the ridiculous rules regarding anchoring, which I was innocent of as I'd learnt how to play without anchoring.  But there is a strong element still of ignorance.

It would have been far better if they had not changed the rules, which effectively made the putters obsolete.  I don't think they ever proved that broomhandles or bell putters were any better than conventional putters.  The statistics certainly didn't stand up.

They were a saviour for me at the time.  I had a bad back and if it weren't for the style of the putting stroke needed I would have had to have curtailed the length of my practice sessions.  The rules still allow disabled players to use them, but if you are an ageing less abled, but otherwise fit, its one rule for one and one rule for another.

When I spoke to a guy who is/was a member of the R&A Rules Committee about older less abled golfers and the fact that the effective ban would push these long standing players into the long grass, his exact response was "f**k 'em, we can do without them!".  I think most people would agree that is an appalling attitude. 

I have had a Ping B-90I ever since they came out. I putted with it for a couple of years for the novelty of it. I never anchored even then. When all the rage was going on I switched back to conventional. Since I had an accident in 2020 involving my back and permanent nerve damage I went back to the broomstick. I have been using the B-90 but have built up a Bobby Grace Mark IV mallet type and have been doing great with it. I also play vintage golf on a little Par3 up the street from me. I had a Odyssey 2 ball clone broomstick I picked up somewhere cheap. I had to add a lot of lead tape on it but it also works well for me. I really did the clone thing to save the hassle of switching putters since I keep the Par3 set in a separate Pig Hoofer bag. In my golf league I have had absolutely no hassle on using the broomstick. All of those guys know what I have been through. 

As far as your R&A official I agree that attitude is appalling. They wonder why most rank and file golfers do not have any use for them or the USGA. I remember when the anchoring ban took effect most courses and leagues around here chose to ignore the ban. Like the guy who owns my course said The USGA does not own and run this course. Besides if I choose I can play the handicap card being 90% disabled. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/5/2024 at 9:27 AM, BCases said:

I have almost everything the same as you with putting. I went to a 46" LAB DR Force broomstick and it has really helped. I also practice with the Stack putting in addition to the Stack speed (same app). I think both really help. I have found the long putter really helps under pressure because it is more of a large muscle stroke. I would agree with the others , the short and mid putts are better but the lag putting is about the same.

I used to play a 48-49" putter BEFORE the ban. However, I believe the 45-46" putter is a little easier to control when you can NOT anchor.

I play all of mine at 43". I have shrank some due to age and my accident. I am now only 6 ft tall. I stand darn near straight up. My specs are a little odd due to me being so tall and a 32" inseam. My lie is at 79*. Works great for me not anchoring or even looking like it. As far as the bottom line if one plays golf with me I could give 2 rips less if you anchor or not. main thing for me is you are playing enjoying yourself and having fun. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have recently been considering switching to a broom stick putter.  I am a right handed dominant person who plays golf left handed.  As my right hand is dominant I am wondering if I should putt right handed with a broomstick putter so that my dominant hand is the bottom hand.  Anyone tried this or any experience in this regard.

Using a broomstick with separated hand positions is extremely different feel wise from having both hand working together. Since you are right hand dominant switching to putting right handed should be a positive. The two main things to address with a long putter is 1) making sure the top hand has a firm grip, otherwise the club will have a lot of movement during the stroke and 2) Remove the mindset of hitting the ball, which most people do because of the length and trust in a smooth follow through (which practice will eventually allow). The length of the back stroke will decide the distance factor. But there is a also a down side and that comes from the speed of the greens you play on. Long putter is good on quick/fast greens but not very satisfying on slow greens. The way I approach slow greens is to bring a regular length putter also to deal with any putts from a distance and then use the long putter from closer to the hole. Hope this helps........... 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

My LAB Mezz Broomstick arrived on Tuesday (1/16).  FYI, I was told to expect the putter in 5-6 weeks, but I got it in 17 days from order!

Our weather was not good the next day, so I had to wait until yesterday to roll some putts on the putting green. The GC Superintendent decided to spike the greens and raise mower heights due to an excess of rain and cooler temps, so I was not putting on normal conditions.

Nevertheless, I was anxious to see how the LAB Broomstick felt. My main initial feel was that it was lighter, LAB: 515g vs my former broom: 545g, which I intentionally ordered that way.  The LAB is graphite shafted vs. steel in my former broom, which affects overall weight too.

Otherwise, feel off the face was better, roll was better and the putter maintained face angle through impact better, so putts seemed easier to start on line. I'm expecting this to positively affect shorter putts, which is my main need.

So far, I am pleased with my results with the LAB. 👌

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

My LAB Mezz Broomstick arrived on Tuesday (1/16).  FYI, I was told to expect the putter in 5-6 weeks, but I got it in 17 days from order!
Our weather was not good the next day, so I had to wait until yesterday to roll some putts on the putting green. The GC Superintendent decided to spike the greens and raise mower heights due to an excess of rain and cooler temps, so I was not putting on normal conditions.
Nevertheless, I was anxious to see how the LAB Broomstick felt. My main initial feel was that it was lighter, LAB: 515g vs my former broom: 545g, which I intentionally ordered that way.  The LAB is graphite shafted vs. steel in my former broom, which affects overall weight too.
Otherwise, feel off the face was better, roll was better and the putter maintained face angle through impact better, so putts seemed easier to start on line. I'm expecting this to positively affect shorter putts, which is my main need.
So far, I am pleased with my results with the LAB. 

17 days from order to delivery! Good for you. I sent my Broom back to have a different shaft installed and found out yesterday they have been without power for several days. They may be able to het back to operations tomorrow. Ice storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2023 at 5:42 AM, YamYam said:

I've got two broomhandles.

A Ping B90 and a Scotty Cameron Studio, (the one with the four coloured dots)

I loved them when I could play with them but now because of the anchoring ban, I only take them out in social games.

I got sick of people accusing me of breaking the ridiculous rules regarding anchoring, which I was innocent of as I'd learnt how to play without anchoring.  But there is a strong element still of ignorance.

It would have been far better if they had not changed the rules, which effectively made the putters obsolete.  

Have you tried using a broomstick putter without anchoring it? They are not 'obsolete' and it seems more Tour pros are using broomstick putters than ever before.

Regarding other peoples ignorance if you want to avoid that you'll have to never leave the house and also stay off the internet.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:09 AM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

So far, I am pleased with my results with the LAB. 👌

Your new putter is the LAB Mezz MAX model? At the LAB website it seems the MAX is the only one the company sells for broomstick shaft length.

29 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Your new putter is the LAB Mezz MAX model? At the LAB website it seems the MAX is the only one the company sells for broomstick shaft length.

You can also get the DF2.1 in a broomstick. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can also get the DF2.1 in a broomstick. 

Looks good, thank you. Now I am going to try an old Ping B90 48" for my round this coming Tuesday and if I like swinging that broomstick I'll decide if I want to acquire one of the L.A.B. models.

15 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Looks good, thank you. Now I am going to try an old Ping B90 48" for my round this coming Tuesday and if I like swinging that broomstick I'll decide if I want to acquire one of the L.A.B. models.

I did something similar before joining the LAB bandwagon.  I went with an old Odyssey Dual Force broom.  While it proved I was more consistent with less flipping it still lacked what I was hoping for. I decided to make the change to a Mezz Max Broom and BOOM, I found it. The smooth end-over-end roll was beautiful with the LAB!  The comparison between the old Odyssey and the LAB was like riding on an old wagon pulled by a stud mule and then jumping in a fat cat Cadillac.  No comparison. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)