Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Another potential shaft experiment, this time with different Evenflows

therod

I am considering another shaft experiment. I did 1 recently with 3 very similar shafts and got the expected results. What I might try next is a little different. I already have a red Evenflow that probably has a lower bend point than I should play. I have a white Evenflow that seems to be pretty good for me. I'm debating getting a blue or black Evenflow just to see how different the 3 are. The red Evenflow hooks if I really go after it. The white tends to favor a slight fade. It works well for me, but being a typical MGS humanoid I'm curious to get a black or blue to try. The black is probably a better fit, and I'm guessing I could turn the blue over easier. It may or may not happen, but it's just something I've been thinking about...

Two very interesting posts about kickpoint.

Shows that what most people think isn’t reality. Lot mor nuances to shaft fitting than flex, weight, kickpoint/bendpoint. The actual profile of each shaft is important and not all low/low as an example are equal

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1897825-is-kickpoint-related-to-tip-stiffness/?do=findComment&comment=24408733

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1897825-is-kickpoint-related-to-tip-stiffness/?do=findComment&comment=24408765

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Being an engineer, that stuff fascinates me. In school I was a materials guy, so I got into that kind of thing. There's far more to shafts, how they're made, and how they bend than people realize.  That's why you have engineers at Project X / True Temper, Mitsubishi, etc. And they're amazing at what they do. There's far more going on that anyone realizes. And it's why some of the biggest gains in distance in the next several years may come from the shaft and not the head. And why fitting is so important. There are alot of good club heads on the market, obviously. But you're going to hit it so much better, and farther, if you get the right shaft and the right shaft profile for your swing. I would argue that the shaft is far more important to how you hit the ball and how you play than the head. MOI #s are sky high, nearing the limit (within manufacturers tolerances), with all manufacturers. But there is so much to gain in the shaft, it's scary...

1 hour ago, therod said:

And it's why some of the biggest gains in distance in the next several years may come from the shaft and not the head.

Highly doubt it. Shaft technology has improved in just the last 10 year and it hasn’t had that type of influence on distances.

Shafts aren’t an engine, they don’t launch or spin. 

1 hour ago, therod said:

I would argue that the shaft is far more important to how you hit the ball and how you play than the head.

Nobody has ever said shafts aren’t important. Yes shafts will influence how a person swing thru feel and weight. That’s discussed in the threads I posted and numerous others. If a shaft doesn’t change a person swing mechanics they results in ball flight won’t change.

changing loft has far more influence on ball flight. This is noted by many very good fitters and including the two people in the threads I posted.

Most amateurs due to all the various information around the internet think the shaft has more influence than it actually does.

Many want to think the magic is in the shaft and it’s not

I spent two days with the main guy Don Brown at PX as well as the design team and marketing team at UST. I’ve seen how shafts are made, I’ve made my own shaft. The things that change over time in shaft making are the materials used, how long each flag is and how it’s placed on the mandrel. These influence weight, EI profile, torque, flex.

They are tested to see how they influence ball flight.

The original hzrdus line was designed with only performance in mind. As a result the feel of the shafts weren’t there.

When they designed the evenflow line they wanted to keep performance of the shaft high but to include feel in the design. So they have a different ei profile and different torque than the hzrdus line. Both perform very well for the golfer they fit.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 hours ago, therod said:

I already have a red Evenflow that probably has a lower bend point than I should play. I have a white Evenflow that seems to be pretty good for me. I'm debating getting a blue or black Evenflow just to see how different the 3 are. The red Evenflow hooks if I really go after it. The white tends to favor a slight fade. It works well for me, but being a typical MGS humanoid I'm curious to get a black or blue to try. The black is probably a better fit, and I'm guessing I could turn the blue over easier. It may or may not happen, but it's just something I've been thinking about...

... The Even Flow Black is an interesting shaft because it is very stable for high swing speeds but is amazingly smooth feeling for moderate swing speeds. A little too strong of a shaft in my driver as I need some kick that matches my timing and the Blue is a better fit for me. But I have the EF Black in my UDi 2 iron and it works great with a little lower trajectory than the Blue. If the White fits you better than the Red and this is an experiment I think the Black would be a better fit. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Thanks for the input chisag. That's what I would have guessed as well. The red gives me hooks if I get quick at all. The white helps me cut it a little. I'd guess the black would be a better fit. I'm not even sure if and when it'll happen, just thinking out loud. And I like to experiment. I have a pretty aggressive transition at the top, so I fit better into higher bend point shafts that can stand up to the move I make. That's why I was fitted into a Tensei white. But I like to play with my toys too...