Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Kings North - Lockwood Folly

hohjoe

Anyone here play either of these courses? I hope to play both soon.

Kings North is in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Lockwood Folly is in Holden Beach, NC.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

2 hours ago, hohjoe said:

Anyone here play either of these courses? I hope to play both soon.

Kings North is in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Lockwood Folly is in Holden Beach, NC.

I've played Kings North. That was a fun course. When you get to the par 5 hole called "The Gambler" you should play to the fairway island. That is nerve racking. But it is so unique you have to try, instead of playing around the lake.  There were a lot of unique holes on this course. An island green with two traps in the design of "S" ands "C" next to each other to represent South Carolina. I also remember hole 18 there must have been over 40 sand traps on that hole. No joke. Amazing that I didn't go in one.  Without a doubt I would recommend playing this course.  

image.png.7fc4bba6108eb92673e4b6d545f63dda.png

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I've played Kings North. That was a fun course. When you get to the par 5 hole called "The Gambler" you should play to the fairway island. That is nerve racking. But it is so unique you have to try, instead of playing around the lake.  There were a lot of unique holes on this course. An island green with two traps in the design of "S" ands "C" next to each other to represent South Carolina. I also remember hole 18 there must have been over 40 sand traps on that hole. No joke. Amazing that I didn't go in one.  Without a doubt I would recommend playing this course.  

image.png.7fc4bba6108eb92673e4b6d545f63dda.png

Thanks for the info.

BatCaddy X8R

My wife surprised me with a Myrtle Beach golf trip for my birthday, so we drove up Sunday and I played Monday and Tuesday.

I played Lockwood Folly 1\31. It’s a nice course surrounded by homes and marsh. A number water hazards, and the course was in good shape.

1\30 I played King’s North. It’s a beautiful, well-maintained course. The water hazards had quite a few White and Blue Herons, there were a couple of Hawks flying around and one landed close to me, and there were Fox Squirrels everywhere. I thought one of the Fox Squirrels was going to hop in the cart. There was quite a bit rain the day before and overnight, so it was cart path only. Like Tom said it’s a fun course. I got on the island, I had to try, but I wasn’t going to be able to get from the island to the green, so I hit back to the fairway and still got to the green in three on a par five.

I was not able to avoid one of the 40+ bunkers on 18. I was able to get from the bunker to the green in one shot, a rare event for me.

Lockwood Folly was about an hour’s drive from where we were staying and I wouldn’t make to drive to play the course again, but I would play it if I were in the area.

King’s North I would definitely play again anytime I was near Myrtle Beach.

BatCaddy X8R

8 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

My wife surprised me with a Myrtle Beach golf trip for my birthday, so we drove up Sunday and I played Monday and Tuesday.

I played Lockwood Folly 1\31. It’s a nice course surrounded by homes and marsh. A number water hazards, and the course was in good shape.

1\30 I played King’s North. It’s a beautiful, well-maintained course. The water hazards had quite a few White and Blue Herons, there were a couple of Hawks flying around and one landed close to me, and there were Fox Squirrels everywhere. I thought one of the Fox Squirrels was going to hop in the cart. There was quite a bit rain the day before and overnight, so it was cart path only. Like Tom said it’s a fun course. I got on the island, I had to try, but I wasn’t going to be able to get from the island to the green, so I hit back to the fairway and still got to the green in three on a par five.

I was not able to avoid one of the 40+ bunkers on 18. I was able to get from the bunker to the green in one shot, a rare event for me.

Lockwood Folly was about an hour’s drive from where we were staying and I wouldn’t make to drive to play the course again, but I would play it if I were in the area.

King’s North I would definitely play again anytime I was near Myrtle Beach.

Sounds like you had a good time. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

59 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

What a great birthday present!!  I played Kings North maybe 17-18 years ago in August... rained all day!  I remember being in more than one of those bunkers on #18, and at the time I was a terrible sand player... not pretty!!  I enjoyed the course even though I was a 16-18 handicapper; I would definitely play it again now that I don't fear sand.  😁

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/2/2023 at 9:35 AM, hohjoe said:

What a coincidence, I was just getting ready to post something about Lockwood Folly.  In April I'm going with a group of 20.  Lockwood is a new addition for courses.  Be the first time most of us are playing it, and it is on the last day. So our " handicapped championship" (there is no monetary prize only your name on the cup) will come down to Lockwood.  I've been trying to look at it on Google Earth.  Is it as narrow as it seems?  And I have plotted (based on google earth) several holes where it seems to me(that for me) less than driver off the tee would be wise.  Any further information on it would be great.    I'm kind of afraid that this course loosely resembles River Hills CC down there, and I watered 7 balls at River Hills, and mentally collapsed.  I want to be prepared in case I find myself in contention.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 hours ago, stuka44 said:

I've been trying to look at it on Google Earth.  Is it as narrow as it seems?

Great minds think alike. This is one of my favorite planning activities. It does look like it has heavy trees which can make shadows some times hard to distinguish from trees. It looks tight but if you use Google Earth Pro (still free I believe) you can see historical images at different times in the year where this (Hole 3):

image.png.778a66c6adf09aa3c4774457577a7c0d.png

Turns into this (same hole different sun position a few months difference):

image.png.07816710f25c1d2dc1bcd4ec43dc5341.png

So that landing area before the left bunker is about 70 yds wide. But then you get to hole 3 which is about 33 yds wide

image.png.0fea925b58041660b95364a8ddd61ad1.png

Even a 3D view of the hole (sorry I LOVE Google Earth Pro) which looks......tight

image.png.393669b583a9adeee248f2391d07f30a.png

image.png

image.png

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

3 hours ago, stuka44 said:

What a coincidence, I was just getting ready to post something about Lockwood Folly.  In April I'm going with a group of 20.  Lockwood is a new addition for courses.  Be the first time most of us are playing it, and it is on the last day. So our " handicapped championship" (there is no monetary prize only your name on the cup) will come down to Lockwood.  I've been trying to look at it on Google Earth.  Is it as narrow as it seems?  And I have plotted (based on google earth) several holes where it seems to me(that for me) less than driver off the tee would be wise.  Any further information on it would be great.    I'm kind of afraid that this course loosely resembles River Hills CC down there, and I watered 7 balls at River Hills, and mentally collapsed.  I want to be prepared in case I find myself in contention.

I played from the gold senior tees and the two guys the starter put me with played from the white tees, which was one back, and I and one of the other guys used a driver on everything but the par threes. I think the third guy did the same thing but I didn't pay that much attention. The course is more narrow than what I'm used to, but I didn't have any problems. None of the three of us came close to a house. I didn't look at the course and think it was narrow.

I put two in the water. One on the left of the fairway in a ditch that was parallel to the fairway and one where my second shot hit and ran forward to a ditch that was a boundary between the fairway and the green. Loosing only two balls was a rare event for me.

In April things will be much greener that when I was there and the course should be nice.

BatCaddy X8R

Also, #8 looks completely insane. Water left and completely blocked out right.

image.png.5362a105e5db5c610fe853f2235de01e.png

Landing area before that large right tree is ONLY 37 yds wide and I imagine if you are behind that tree you are completely cooked/blocked out/insert word here for "in a tough spot". If you want to try to fly the tree or get past it, the landing area between the right trees and the water is 30 yds wide. I honestly don't really know what the play is here. If you layup you probably want to lay well back of the right tree so you can get over it (that tree is 220 from the white and orange tees and 270 from the tips). So you layup with a long iron and then have like 160-170 into the hole or try to blow it over the tree and risk missing right and being blocked or hitting it into the water. This hole looks like a nightmare. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

52 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Also, #8 looks completely insane. Water left and completely blocked out right.

image.png.5362a105e5db5c610fe853f2235de01e.png

Landing area before that large right tree is ONLY 37 yds wide and I imagine if you are behind that tree you are completely cooked/blocked out/insert word here for "in a tough spot". If you want to try to fly the tree or get past it, the landing area between the right trees and the water is 30 yds wide. I honestly don't really know what the play is here. If you layup you probably want to lay well back of the right tree so you can get over it (that tree is 220 from the white and orange tees and 270 from the tips). So you layup with a long iron and then have like 160-170 into the hole or try to blow it over the tree and risk missing right and being blocked or hitting it into the water. This hole looks like a nightmare. 

That's where I went in  the water off the tee, but because I had a hard hook. i usually slice. I don't remember any fairway or hole being that narrow. Are these recent pictures?

BatCaddy X8R

4 hours ago, stuka44 said:

Actually, I hit from the orange tees and not the gold.

BatCaddy X8R

29 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Landing area before that large right tree is ONLY 37 yds

Thanks for the info.  I will have to see about google earth pro, and go over the course a gain, see if I can find some images from other times of the year.  I don't have my list but I made notes about 6-8 holes I think, where there is a dogleg, and I'm concerned about running through. Also as you noted a few holes where at my 230 or so off the tee, the fairway really seems to narrow down, that is why I have it figured for less than driver on a few holes.  I enjoy looking over new courses on Google Earth also!

5 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

Actually, I hit from the orange tees and not the gold.

We will probably play white 6100, so not that much different.  I'm glad to hear it didn't seem that narrow.  Google earth can be deceiving sometimes.  I hope I find it more open than I am imagining.

5 hours ago, stuka44 said:

We will probably play white 6100, so not that much different.  I'm glad to hear it didn't seem that narrow.  Google earth can be deceiving sometimes.  I hope I find it more open than I am imagining.

I play two courses on a regular basis and they have pretty wide fairways and didn't look at this one and think it was narrow.

BatCaddy X8R

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 11:31 AM, Stuka44 said:

Did you play Lockwood Folly? How was it?

BatCaddy X8R

On 4/30/2023 at 8:42 PM, hohjoe said:

Did you play Lockwood Folly? How was it?

Yes we did play it on the last day.  The greens were in very good shape.  The fairways were quite sparse, with a many bare spots throughout.  I would probobly not choose to play it again.  It is a very nice layout, and if the fairways would come in it would be  a good course.  Now one of the employees indicated that their grass should be in, in about 3 weeks.  Not sure if that true.  If it is then it is a very nice layout.  Not too narrow at all.