Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

The Good Morning Thread

GolfSpy_APH

14 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Late for me I know. Had internet problems this AM.

Vintage round was great Sunday, and I found an old Macgregor driver in my stash I can crank.  I will detail over in the Virtual Thread.

Played the small money game today. Shot the exact thing there today I shot with the vintage sticks. But I had 2 good partners so we did win.

It is raining here now and I am taking the day off from playing tomorrow any how.

Congratulations!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

the 2022 was 66. 

When I Googled it, the 2020 lab report came up first, with the '22 below it; did not notice the dates. The '22 lab report said this: 

On our gauge, the Srixon Q-Star Tour has an average compression of 67. That’s just two points softer than the previous version, which is a relatively insignificant difference.

Which suggests that the '20 lab number was 69. It wasn't, unless there was a test in between that Tony knew about and we didn't.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

That was the 2020 ball lab.  the 2022 was 66.   They haven't done ball lab for the 2024 model. 

There are variations (  @ILMgolfnut)  not only between years but within batches.  Some OEMs don’t publish their compression numbers and some do and some intentionally vary from one year to another I suspect to improve a performance parameter.  The Z-Star I prefer is the 2021 version.  

What I find most helpful is the MGS scatter chart I posted earlier.  You can select one or more OEMs and also select driver or 7 iron with 2 or 3 swing speed selections.  When I’m searching for a new ball to try out, I find it’s very helpful to see what kind of ball speed, flight/trajectory and spin characteristics are generated.  My results might be a bit different but the trend is similar.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

What I find most helpful is the MGS scatter chart I posted earlier.

I had not seen that scatter chart before. Not sure that it provides a whole lot of useful information, for me anyway, but your mileage may vary. However, the ball I'm going to try out is the green dot at the top right corner: Maxfli Tour X. We'll see if it gives me that extra 2 mph which should be 6-7 yards. Interestingly, when you tweak the scatter chart to give you carry or total distance on the X axis instead of ball speed, the Srixon Z-Star XV and Diamond come out a yard ahead of the Tour X, and 8 yards ahead of QST. Maybe the Z-Star will be my next experiment.

36 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I had not seen that scatter chart before. Not sure that it provides a whole lot of useful information, for me anyway, but your mileage may vary. However, the ball I'm going to try out is the green dot at the top right corner: Maxfli Tour X. We'll see if it gives me that extra 2 mph which should be 6-7 yards. Interestingly, when you tweak the scatter chart to give you carry or total distance on the X axis instead of ball speed, the Srixon Z-Star XV and Diamond come out a yard ahead of the Tour X, and 8 yards ahead of QST. Maybe the Z-Star will be my next experiment.

There are a lot of parameters and ways to look at the chart.  For me, I want a higher launch and peak height to give me more carry on drives.  I had settled on the 2021 Z Star when playing in a team event - one of my partners got closest to the pin and gave each of us a sleeve.  plus the price was good for a 3 piece urethane and paid $34-38.  Then this year the price was suddenly $48.  But every once in awhile, a batch shows up on Amazon for $38.

I’ve never tried the Maxfli Tour but that looks like a ok candidate.  Lots of posters here swear by it.  I do want to try the Srixon Diamond as that fits my criteria.  It theoretically will give me higher ball speed.  I’ve seen sales on those but for 2dozen.  One other ball i tried and really like was TM TP5 (not X).  

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

As promised, here is my scorecard. Could have had more scoring opportunities had I not flew the greens or came up short. Only 3 putted once which was good. IMG_3172.png.fc8c0ce3733c67ae07b2b35169c18af5.png

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I thought the worst of summer was over because Fall starts in September and nothing says Welcome Fall quite like 114*. 🤪

Screenshot2024-09-02at12_31_16PM.png.570107a532336b9b66bd3e85638fb115.png

Wow!!  Florida looking a lot better.  I don’t remember it going over 94 this summer.  Staying right around 90’.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

24 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Wow!!  Florida looking a lot better.  I don’t remember it going over 94 this summer.  Staying right around 90’.

... Haha middle 90's were our night time lows. But it can be sooooo humid for you guys right? 14% humidity today and it has been in the upper 40's most of the summer, so it is much more bearable when it is this dry. Although anything over 110* still feels pretty hot in the direct sun with no clouds or shade. 

... It's just the price we pay for heaven on earth from October through March. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Just now, chisag said:

... Haha middle 90's were our night time lows. But it can be sooooo humid for you guys right? 14% humidity today and it has been in the upper 40's most of the summer, so it is much more bearable when it is this dry. Although anything over 110* still feels pretty hot in the direct sun with no clouds or shade. 

... It's just the price we pay for heaven on earth from October through March. 

Yup humidity can be downright miserable.  I don’t think FL has ever seen 14%.  It’s a tropical state and it’s what we signed up for.  
We were talking to our kids last week and going back to New England came up.  We cannot get the quality of life up there that we have here.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

For me, I want a higher launch and peak height to give me more carry on drives.

I could use some of that as well. But in tweaking the scatter chart for those variables, the Tour X is a lower launch angle but a higher peak flight on the driver at my swing speed (low). The Tour S has higher launch angle than any of the Srixon balls but less carry than any but the QST. What does that mean? Dunno. Will it make any difference on the course? Hoping to tee up the Tour X tomorrow and start to find out.

1 minute ago, wheelman55 said:

Good morning!

Welcome to the asylum  Good Morning Thread! You'll find the inmates to be friendly if a tad obsessed.