Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hybrids and Woods

I had a fitting with a Taylormade rep for hybrids and 3 wood. I felt great with my ball flight and yardages, just choking on the 300$ hybrid price and $390 3 wood price. If I’m going to spend that money, I want to be certain that I love what I’m buying. So I’m gonna try out a couple different companies with another fitting. Any recommendations for hybrids/woods that I should start with other than the stealth 2?

Callaway Epic 9.5, x2hot 4wood, Adams rescue, Mizuno JPX hot metal, Cleveland Wedges, Scotty Cameron Circa 62, whiskey and coke to start.

3 hours ago, Klippert said:

I had a fitting with a Taylormade rep for hybrids and 3 wood. I felt great with my ball flight and yardages, just choking on the 300$ hybrid price and $390 3 wood price. If I’m going to spend that money, I want to be certain that I love what I’m buying. So I’m gonna try out a couple different companies with another fitting. Any recommendations for hybrids/woods that I should start with other than the stealth 2?

Did you try all the Stealth 2 models?  As far as other brands, my buddy that works at PGA superstore said folks are really liking the Ping G430 woods and hybrids and the Wilson Dynapower are also doing well.  The Wilson's will be a better price point than the Stealth 2 you just tried.  Also I think the new PXG woods are a little cheaper and look really nice.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

I picked up two demo clubs from Dick's last week (nearly new). I went in wanting to replace my five-year-old Tour Exotics EXS 220 and found amazing ball speeds off of a TM Sim 2. I hit the new Ping , new Cobra and last year's Callaway Rogue. Well, Dick's doesn't have any of those in stock as demo clubs but they do have last year's stealth models. I picked up the 3 hybrid and also a 3 wood and both are bombers for probably close to half of the price of the Stealth 2.

DR: PXG 0311 Gen 5 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3W: PXG 0211 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3H: Tour Exotics EX221 with HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff
IRN: 2021 PXG 0211 with MMT Mitsubishi Stiff 
54/58: Cleveland CBX
P: Wilson Infinite Buckingham

On 3/31/2023 at 10:11 AM, Klippert said:

The newest on the market 3-4 months ago became last years model about that same time. I didnt have a newer driver so I sprung for the Ping 430 H/L when I bough but FW wood and hybrid are the really old [ newest 3 months ago lol] Ping 425 version.  There is no reason you cannot save some money and get those really old newest 3 months ago versions at a pretty good discount on fairway woods and hybrids. Go to a bigger golf store with nice hitting bays, launch moniters and a good selection of clubs to buy and hit some of those versions. I live in podunk  NW Alabama and driver a little over an hour to a place that still has the Ping 425 plus at least 1 model older version to try, they may have older than that still brand new.  I think the Pings in 425 which were latest a few months ago are 249 for FW wood and 219 for hybrid. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I’m loving my Callaway Super Hybrid - incredibly easy to hit and get airborne.  Recommend checking out (especially on Callaway Pre-Owned, where they run tons of deals). 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I will second Callaway Pre-Owned.  Just bought Apex Pro 2 Hybrid to replace my 12 year old one.  Was listed as "like new", and it ABSOLUTELY was.  $164 that included  tax, shipping and handling, and having them install a Golf Pride CP2 midsize grip to match my other clubs.  I think the club was $134.99.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:32 AM, dmacko99 said:

I picked up two demo clubs from Dick's last week (nearly new). I went in wanting to replace my five-year-old Tour Exotics EXS 220 and found amazing ball speeds off of a TM Sim 2. I hit the new Ping , new Cobra and last year's Callaway Rogue. Well, Dick's doesn't have any of those in stock as demo clubs but they do have last year's stealth models. I picked up the 3 hybrid and also a 3 wood and both are bombers for probably close to half of the price of the Stealth 2.

I love my SIM2, which I also bought as a "demo" but it was still in the original packaging. It's much better in distance and dispersion then any of my previous Ping drivers My Cobra Radspeed 3 Wood (also bought as last year's model) is awesome and interestingly much better feel and sound then my King F9 5 Wood. 

If a particular new club suits you, wait 6 months for the latest to come out and then buy the previous model. I'm tempted by the Stealth 2 driver and woods - but like yourself I'll either buy last year's Stealth or wait until the next Stealth  to pull the trigger on previous models

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart