Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft weight progression from Driver to Hybrid

PingMD702

Hey all! I was wondering what’s the logic behind descending weights as you move down the bag for the driver to hybrid. I currently play a Ventus Blue TR 6x (68g) in the Driver, Ventus Blue 7x (77.5g) in the 4 and 7 wood, and Ventus Blue 8x (86g) in 5 hybrid. Im thinking of swapping out the blue in the 4w, 7w, and 5h to the Ventus Red TR 7x (78g), Ventus Red TR 8x (89.5g), and Ventus Blue 9x (94g), respectively. Thanks in advance for any input!

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

I'm a little confused by the question I guess.  I would have said ascending weights from driver to hybrid (they get heavier as you move from driver to hybrid).  Generally speaking with a shorter shaft length you will need a heavier shaft to get a similar feel to the driver.  But really it's just a fitting variable and some will work better with lighter and some with heavier.

As for going from the blue to the red...What are you hoping the red will do that the blue is not?  Generally speaking the red is just going to be a touch higher launching.

My real advice would be to get fit.  Especially before blindly dropping around $700 (used) to over a grand (new) on 3 shafts you are hoping will work.  Just my .02 though

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

6 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I'm a little confused by the question I guess.  I would have said ascending weights from driver to hybrid (they get heavier as you move from driver to hybrid).  Generally speaking with a shorter shaft length you will need a heavier shaft to get a similar feel to the driver.  But really it's just a fitting variable and some will work better with lighter and some with heavier.

As for going from the blue to the red...What are you hoping the red will do that the blue is not?  Generally speaking the red is just going to be a touch higher launching.

My real advice would be to get fit.  Especially before blindly dropping around $700 (used) to over a grand (new) on 3 shafts you are hoping will work.  Just my .02 though

Thanks for the input! I would just be swapping shafts with a friend for the red TR since they want the blue velocores i play right now. The Blue TR I use in my driver is on point. I hit the majority of fairways with my current build. I was originally thinking about going TR blue for the 4w while keeping the 7w 8x blue. But my buddy wants to trade his 7x and 8x red TR. I think the reason I am drawn to the red TR is because of the ease of getting the ball up in the air with a softer tip along with the ultra stiff handle like the ventus black compared to the Blue. The 8x I play in my 5h is starting to feel light. Here are some of the numbers I have with my current set up. 

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Since it's a buddy that wants to swap why not just offer a test with the option to take it back?  You test out his in your clubs and see how it goes?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Since it's a buddy that wants to swap why not just offer a test with the option to take it back?  You test out his in your clubs and see how it goes?

He's gonna mail me the shafts that's why haha so I have to commit since he was been fitted for these hahaha 

11 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

. I think the reason I am drawn to the red TR is because of the ease of getting the ball up in the air with a softer tip along with the ultra stiff handle like the ventus black compared to the Blue. The 8x I play in my 5h is starting to feel light.

My thoughts are we all respond to shafts and clubs differently; which is why the first piece of advice is generally to try the clubs.  The combination of weight and shaft profiles are designed by the manufacturers to do certain things, but once a person starts using them the complete opposite might happen.   Perhaps your best course of action is to see if a fitter or a place near you that has the shaft to try before you make the swap?  Or worst case is you don’t like the shafts you got and steel/trade for something else.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

Hey all! I was wondering what’s the logic behind descending weights as you move down the bag for the driver to hybrid. I currently play a Ventus Blue TR 6x (68g) in the Driver, Ventus Blue 7x (77.5g) in the 4 and 7 wood, and Ventus Blue 8x (86g) in 5 hybrid. Im thinking of swapping out the blue in the 4w, 7w, and 5h to the Ventus Red TR 7x (78g), Ventus Red TR 8x (89.5g), and Ventus Blue 9x (94g), respectively. Thanks in advance for any input!

Maybe same logic with each shaft being different.  Shorter at the hybrids moving up to the Driver.  My irons are the same way 105-95 (5-W)......but same lengths.....As clubs get shorter from driver to fairway woods to hybrids, the shaft weights will get progressively heavier. This varies based upon your strength and swing profile (tempo, transition and release) but in general, hybrid shafts will be 10 to 20 grams heavier than your driver shaft weight. 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE