Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

DRIVERS, setup standard or extreme?

Bang60

I had a fitting with Ping recently and ball striking results were impressive and then some, the irons were so good once the fitter worked out I'm 2 degrees flat not standard as I was previously advised. I was surprised how much my ball striking improved so EASILY and couldn't hit a bad shot no matter where on the club FACE I hit the ball?

I hit the ball on the TOE-HEEL and DROP KICKED it with the G430 Max Driver an G430 Irons and it still went straightish and didn't lose much Distance??

So did you have a similar experience with your fitting for New clubs, I'm wondering if everyone has the same experience or is it that the G430 is perfect for just a few people?

Would appreciate your feedback as I'm interested in if this is NORMAL???

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

11 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I had a fitting with Ping recently and ball striking results were impressive and then some, the irons were so good once the fitter worked out I'm 2 degrees flat not standard as I was previously advised. I was surprised how much my ball striking improved so EASILY and couldn't hit a bad shot no matter where on the club FACE I hit the ball?

I hit the ball on the TOE-HEEL and DROP KICKED it with the G430 Max Driver an G430 Irons and it still went straightish and didn't lose much Distance??

So did you have a similar experience with your fitting for New clubs, I'm wondering if everyone has the same experience or is it that the G430 is perfect for just a few people?

It is normal in some instances.   The G430 line is designed to be forgiving on miss hits.   When you get the correct lie angle the sole of the club club interacts with the groud corrects and you reduce the strikes where the toe or heel of the club hit the ground first.   In general when the toe hits first the club will open pushing the ball to the right and when the heel hits first the club will close and the ball will go left.   

I hit lots of clubs as one of the MGS most wanted testers and you find things like club head weight,  overall weight, club length, grip, offset, and the irons lie angle all have a touch of  influence the results.   As you hit more shots with each of the clubs you start to identify tendencies.  I can hit one clubs and it has a tendency to be right of my target while another may be left and and other may be more straight.  This is why it is always advisable to hit clubs prior to purchase. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, Bang60 said:

'm 2 degrees flat not standard as I was previously advised.

Your 2° in Ping and any iron that has 62° of lie angle for a 7i

Some examples of where you wouldn’t be 2° using the specs of of the Ping irons 

you would be 1° in titlest 

1.5° in TaylorMade

3.5° in your mizunos.

14 hours ago, Bang60 said:

This could be normal for some and for some they may see no improvement from what they currently play. For me personally lie angle doesn’t have as much impact on my ball flight and I tend to play everything 1-2° from whatever the stated specs are from a manufacturer just because I want the ball to not go left

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is normal in some instances.   The G430 line is designed to be forgiving on miss hits.   When you get the correct lie angle the sole of the club club interacts with the groud corrects and you reduce the strikes where the toe or heel of the club hit the ground first.   In general when the toe hits first the club will open pushing the ball to the right and when the heel hits first the club will close and the ball will go left.   

I hit lots of clubs as one of the MGS most wanted testers and you find things like club head weight,  overall weight, club length, grip, offset, and the irons lie angle all have a touch of  influence the results.   As you hit more shots with each of the clubs you start to identify tendencies.  I can hit one clubs and it has a tendency to be right of my target while another may be left and and other may be more straight.  This is why it is always advisable to hit clubs prior to purchase. 

Appreciate your feedback, when testing do you make any changes to the club to suit your swing. Like changes to lie or length of shaft or is that all done before you get the club?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Depends on what club you are interested in,  most fairway woods and drivers have adjustable heads that can manipulate both loft and lie. Just purchased a Titleist 3 wood and it comes with a chart with each desired characteristic so you can modify to your liking. I play a G425 driver and it has a movable weight in back that can be set for draw or fade bias. Irons are a different story. A fitter should use contact tape on the bottom of club to assist with proper lie. This will assist with desired ball flight. 

16 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Edited by Bang60
Posted twice 😳

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Your 2° in Ping and any iron that has 62° of lie angle for a 7i

Some examples of where you wouldn’t be 2° using the specs of of the Ping irons 

you would be 1° in titlest 

1.5° in TaylorMade

3.5° in your mizunos.

This could be normal for some and for some they may see no improvement from what they currently play. For me personally lie angle doesn’t have as much impact on my ball flight and I tend to play everything 1-2° from whatever the stated specs are from a manufacturer just because I want the ball to not go left

I use Mizuno mp57 7 iron which has a standard lie of 61.5 but ping g430 7 iron lie is 62, so wouldn’t I drop the lie to 60 to match the ping 2deg flat or am I wrong? 

067F6951-9A71-4C93-AD8D-CFECA6EC797A.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Tincuptim said:

Depends on what club you are interested in,  most fairway woods and drivers have adjustable heads that can manipulate both loft and lie. Just purchased a Titleist 3 wood and it comes with a chart with each desired characteristic so you can modify to your liking. I play a G425 driver and it has a movable weight in back that can be set for draw or fade bias. Irons are a different story. A fitter should use contact tape on the bottom of club to assist with proper lie. This will assist with desired ball flight. 

Interested in the whole club adjustment, my mizuno irons I believe are Std lie but I’ve never checked them, I’m going to get the 6 8 pw checked and adjust them to 2 degrees flat. Then I’ll know one way or another? 👍

49 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Appreciate your feedback, when testing do you make any changes to the club to suit your swing. Like changes to lie or length of shaft or is that all done before you get the club?

No,  MGS Most Wanted testing is about using and off the rack stock club so the clubs used are exactly how you would find them in a store.  Since drivers have adjustable hosels and can easily change shafts we can get "fit" if the OEM provides shafts.   Some OEMS also provide multiple irons so in that case we might get a different shaft, but not different lie angles.

17 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

I use Mizuno mp57 7 iron which has a standard lie of 61.5 but ping g430 7 iron lie is 62, so wouldn’t I drop the lie to 60 to match the ping 2deg flat or am I wrong? 

You said that you were hitting the G430 at 2 degrees flatter than listed spec.  The numbers you wrote for the G430 are stock lie angles so the clubs you hit were  5 - 59*,  6 - 59.5*,  7 - 60*, 8 - 60.8*, 9 - 61.5*, PW - 62.1.   That said,  with the loft and length differences,  it might not be a 5 iron to 5 iron match.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

No,  MGS Most Wanted testing is about using and off the rack stock club so the clubs used are exactly how you would find them in a store.  Since drivers have adjustable hosels and can easily change shafts we can get "fit" if the OEM provides shafts.   Some OEMS also provide multiple irons so in that case we might get a different shaft, but not different lie angles.

You said that you were hitting the G430 at 2 degrees flatter than listed spec.  The numbers you wrote for the G430 are stock lie angles so the clubs you hit were  5 - 59*,  6 - 59.5*,  7 - 60*, 8 - 60.8*, 9 - 61.5*, PW - 62.1.   That said,  with the loft and length differences,  it might not be a 5 iron to 5 iron match.  

Ok understand but has me asking more questions lol, so if I was testing those g430 irons I couldn’t give a good review because they were going way left. After the lie adjustments they were fantastic, the fitter was bragging about the 7iron being much longer than mine but no surprise there it’s 5 degrees stronger loft. Not comparable clubs at all loft lie and technically 20 years apart. I was going today to setup the change of lie in my irons but can’t because I’ve badly cut a finger, I’ve bought a loft lie tool from Golfmechanix so I may wait till it arrives and do it myself…

Forgot to mention that I took 6 8 pw to the fitting because they didn’t say bring a 7 iron as the fitting is with a Ping 7 iron, ideally I’d like another 2 Brands fittings so I can have some better data to compare them with my mizuno irons. Then I can make an informed decision on if I upgrade my current irons, busy busy lol…