Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Takomo Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our Testers main review posts in the links below!

@ZackS - TESTING POST - 101T Series
@KC Golf - TESTING POST - 101T Series

@TylorJudd - TESTING POST - 301 CB Series

@Jim Shaw - TESTING POST - 301 MB Series

@DukeStKing - TESTING POST - 101T Series

10 hours ago, tortoise1956 said:

Winter update:

I was having some difficulty with maintaining a good line with the long irons, so I went back to my PXG 201 ST irons for a while. Basically, just long enough to verify that it wasn't the irons, it was me...anyway, the 301MB's are back in my bag, and once I worked my swing back in sync, I'm again hitting greens on a regular basis and leaving plenty of chances for birdies.

I can honestly say that these are easily the best overall forged irons I've ever used, based on forgiveness vs. playability. It seems sometimes as if the entire head is a sweet spot. It's definitely larger than the Hogan Apex irons I used in the 1980's, or even the KZG ZO set I keep in the garage and pull out once in a while to remain humble.

I'll say it again - these irons are well worth the investment I made to try them out. I would, however, recommend that you purchase the heads only, and install the shaft and grip of your choice. I don't have anything against KBS, but I think that with some research you can find shafts better suited to both these heads and your game.

great post, interesting comment about the "sweet spot" I tend to agree, I am really happy with my miss the sweet spot shots, they don't travel as far but they do travel and mainly on the intended line, I am enjoying mine as well, do you have the wedges as well? 

committed to performance excellence

Heard a few rumblings of some new Takomo irons which could be released this year or next. 

Will be curious to see what direction they take with them and if they will be more players distance or moving into a GI or blade versions ... Or maybe some of everything!?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I believe Takomo makes some of the best looking irons on the market - can't wait to see what they come up with!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Heard a few rumblings of some new Takomo irons which could be released this year or next. 
Will be curious to see what direction they take with them and if they will be more players distance or moving into a GI or blade versions ... Or maybe some of everything!?
My guess would be a redo of the 101 and/or 201 since those are the oldest irons in the lineup.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I played with a new member today, he moved from China about a year ago, solid player probably an 8 handicap, he was quite intrigued with my Takomo’s and took down the name, I hope he checks the website, I will remind him in a couple of days. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been checking my gapping recently and after 3 different sessions confirming 2 small of a gap between my 7 and 8 and GW and PW I had the lofts checked and 9, 8 and 7 irons where all off. 9 and 7 where 1 degree weak but the main one was the 8 was 3 degrees weak. This was mainly a surprise because my 8 and 7 not having enough gap. I had them bend the 8 2 degrees but didn't want to go any further since they are not forged. They also showed the lies being later then they should and up to 3 degrees in one case. I didn't have them mess with that as I also did a recent dynamic lie test and all where fine and I'm so nervous to bend these. I will point out that I did re-shaft these and they where .355 taper not .370 but I used shim's so I could see that causing slight discrepancies but not up to 2 and 3 degrees. Either way despite the fact that I have still very much been enjoying these irons I am self admittedly bit of a nutcase that over thinks things so I am thinking of looking into something similar but forged so they can be bent more and not worry about it. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

2 hours ago, ZackS said:

So I have been checking my gapping recently and after 3 different sessions confirming 2 small of a gap between my 7 and 8 and GW and PW I had the lofts checked and 9, 8 and 7 irons where all off. 9 and 7 where 1 degree weak but the main one was the 8 was 3 degrees weak. This was mainly a surprise because my 8 and 7 not having enough gap. I had them bend the 8 2 degrees but didn't want to go any further since they are not forged. They also showed the lies being later then they should and up to 3 degrees in one case. I didn't have them mess with that as I also did a recent dynamic lie test and all where fine and I'm so nervous to bend these. I will point out that I did re-shaft these and they where .355 taper not .370 but I used shim's so I could see that causing slight discrepancies but not up to 2 and 3 degrees. Either way despite the fact that I have still very much been enjoying these irons I am self admittedly bit of a nutcase that over thinks things so I am thinking of looking into something similar but forged so they can be bent more and not worry about it. 

I’ve been thinking the 8 and 7 may be a touch stronger, or my 9 a touch weaker also. I am going have the 9 and 8 bent upright 1 degree, just need to find somewhere to do it

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

I’ve been thinking the 8 and 7 may be a touch stronger, or my 9 a touch weaker also. I am going have the 9 and 8 bent upright 1 degree, just need to find somewhere to do it

You should have no issues with the 301’s. I am so nervous on the cast club for anything other than 1 degree. 

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

6 hours ago, ZackS said:

6 hours ago, ZackS said:

I had mine bent immediately, my fitter said not an issue, I get mine checked every year as they are soft and will move a bit from year to year...non issue bud...

43 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

I had mine bent immediately, my fitter said not an issue, I get mine checked every year as they are soft and will move a bit from year to year...non issue bud...

The 301 are forged and the 101t are cast. The general rule I have always known is forged can be bent 3 degrees and cast 1 degree safely. 

WITB:

30 minutes ago, ZackS said:

The 301 are forged and the 101t are cast. The general rule I have always known is forged can be bent 3 degrees and cast 1 degree safely. 

I went to do this with my last Cleveland TA7’s that were cast. Guy told me if the iron is quite new, you should be able to get away with more than 1 degree

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

Yes, you are correct, actually most fitters dont like to bend anything more than 2 degrees, if you really want to give it a try I would tred lightly, maybe 1-2 degrees every 4 months or something, find someone who is really good at fitting, they may be able to help

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

I went to do this with my last Cleveland TA7’s that were cast. Guy told me if the iron is quite new, you should be able to get away with more than 1 degree

50 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Yes, you are correct, actually most fitters dont like to bend anything more than 2 degrees, if you really want to give it a try I would tred lightly, maybe 1-2 degrees every 4 months or something, find someone who is really good at fitting, they may be able to help

They got the 8 iron to go 2 degrees. So only a degree off now. Though really the gapping issue is the 8 and 7 being to close so I think I might go back and have them try and bend the 7 a little more so it’s a degree strong since the 8 was able to bend 2. Since I have liked these irons I want to get them gapped right for me. But if I stumble on a good deal on something similar and forged I might do it. 

WITB: