Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Portable Launch Monitor of rangefinder

Christof

Good day

I am hesitating between Portable Launch Monitor or rangefinder or something like Blast Motion Speed Analyzer. When I am on the driving range between 100 and 150m there is no sign and the signs are very bad, on the outside, after 150m I don't know where the ball lands either. On the chipping section there are no distances either. I would like to buy device so that I get more feeling of swing and distance and control, it is purely for distance for on training. When I'm on the course I use a Garmin Vivo active 4 watch. Between a Portable Launch Monitor or rangefinder are already big price differences. That's why the question on the Forum.

Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

These two accomplish two different things, so it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. ;

Launch monitor, generally used on the driving range to measure swing speed, launch angle,  potentially spin (depending on the model) also carry and total distance. 

Laser Range Finder, used on the course to get exact distances for pin locations. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Laser Range Finder, used on the course to get exact distances for pin locations. 

Laser Rangefinders can be used on a range;  you can use it to get exact distances to spots on the range so you can evaluate how far you are hitting a ball.   range vs real ball is a different discussion.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Laser Rangefinders can be used on a range;  you can use it to get exact distances to spots on the range so you can evaluate how far you are hitting a ball.   range vs real ball is a different discussion.

Good point - I used it the other day to confirm published distances to marks on the range. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If your goal is to find out how far you are hitting your shots I would lean toward launch monitor.  If your goal is to find out how far away a target is then I would go range finder.  

Here are a few pitfalls though, especially on range use.  Or at least things to be aware of because I don't think either is going to work exactly how you want them to.

Launch monitor - Especially in the low end there are a lot of calculations that the machine is making vs actual measurements.  Accuracy costs money so you will need to decide what's "good enough" for you.  The other issue is using range balls vs your gamer ball.  You may dial in an exact distance on the range with range balls, but when you switch to your gamer ball on the course that distance may not be the same.  It could be as simple as just adding a few yards on the course but it's something to be aware of.

Laser - Would be great for measuring how far away a target is, but doesn't really help you tell exactly where the ball landed.  On short chips and pitches you would most likely get a pretty good reading, but much farther away and it's really hard to shoot exactly the ball.  

So while I don't think either is going to be a perfect solution, both could work for your purposes with some trade offs on either side.

Sorry this is getting long but there are some great ways to figure out distances too.  If it's with a rangefinder I would try to get some shag balls that are the same as your gamer.  Then find an empty range or even on the course if it's not busy and nobody behind you.  Drop 5 balls and hit the shot you want to test.  Then leave your bag where you hit from and walk to your grouping and then laser back to your bag.  Do that a few times and you should get a pretty good idea of how far that shot and feel were going.  

If you do it on an empty course you can do this next to a ball washer or hole sign so you can shoot back to that instead.  If your watch has a tee shot tracker type thing you could do the same thing with your GPS.  it's time consuming but will yield better results that pounding range balls at a sign.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

20 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

These two accomplish two different things, so it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. ;

Launch monitor, generally used on the driving range to measure swing speed, launch angle,  potentially spin (depending on the model) also carry and total distance. 

Yes is both a bit, for me it's distance maybe ok a bit of swing tempo for it all to feel better, with which club what tempo and how far does the ball fly. yes it's not easy. actually Speed figures are not that important, with me it's more on the feeling and rhythm, if I manage 100km/h or 50km/h I'm not going to be busy on the course or during a match, the harder I think about it on the course the worse it goes. I do a lot by feeling and rhythm. Portable Launch Monitor does come in handy on your screen certain swing do and the numbers always come up and are always or about the same you get the feeling and rhythm too.
For pin location I can also use my Garmin. For now slight preference to Portable Launch Monitor, the PRGR Black Portable Launch Monitor does seem affordable and gets good reviews. Are there many amateur golfers who have Portable Launch Monitor.

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

On the driving range with us there are 1 board of each 50 75 100 150 and 200 meters, there are still those round things on the ground that are about 50 75 100 and 125 meters, which are then in front of the Pro's trainers booth is all the way to the left of driving range, have a round or half round driving range, is on the far right or in the middle you have other distances. Can't do a lot with a rangefinder on the driving range, on the chipping area there are 4 flags for using the rangefinder. If I use my watch and step down the distance or take a long tape measurer then I also know the distance. Is especially the long shot and distance to know.

5 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

If your goal is to find out how far you are hitting your shots I would lean toward launch monitor.  If your goal is to find out how far away a target is then I would go range finder.  

Here are a few pitfalls though, especially on range use.  Or at least things to be aware of because I don't think either is going to work exactly how you want them to.

Launch monitor - Especially in the low end there are a lot of calculations that the machine is making vs actual measurements.  Accuracy costs money so you will need to decide what's "good enough" for you.  The other issue is using range balls vs your gamer ball.  You may dial in an exact distance on the range with range balls, but when you switch to your gamer ball on the course that distance may not be the same.  It could be as simple as just adding a few yards on the course but it's something to be aware of.

Laser - Would be great for measuring how far away a target is, but doesn't really help you tell exactly where the ball landed.  On short chips and pitches you would most likely get a pretty good reading, but much farther away and it's really hard to shoot exactly the ball.  

So while I don't think either is going to be a perfect solution, both could work for your purposes with some trade offs on either side.

Sorry this is getting long but there are some great ways to figure out distances too.  If it's with a rangefinder I would try to get some shag balls that are the same as your gamer.  Then find an empty range or even on the course if it's not busy and nobody behind you.  Drop 5 balls and hit the shot you want to test.  Then leave your bag where you hit from and walk to your grouping and then laser back to your bag.  Do that a few times and you should get a pretty good idea of how far that shot and feel were going.  

If you do it on an empty course you can do this next to a ball washer or hole sign so you can shoot back to that instead.  If your watch has a tee shot tracker type thing you could do the same thing with your GPS.  it's time consuming but will yield better results that pounding range balls at a sign.

Hello hckymeyer
Great explanation and it's not long winded. I have replied to tony@CIC and cnosil. If you read that maybe a Launch monitor is the most interesting thing, when I'm on the course I use my watch for distance from the hole, the vivoactive 4 is not a real golf watch but it suffices for me and on the PC I can also see the distances, I don't know if they are quite correct. My garmin can also use for chipping, if I step off the distance with GPS on then I also know the distance or I use a long tape measure now too, I had one of 5 meters but it is broken, I did chipping started at 5 meters and so 5 meters back out with wedges, that's how I do it when putting start at 1 meter and so 1 meter back.
is more for finding out long distance shot to get more feeling and rhythm and to find out distance.
The rangefinder tips are also the most interesting.
Slight preference goes to a Portable Launch Monitor that is affordable something like PRGR Black Portable Launch Monitor. An affordable rangefinder is also the most interesting. If you already have a watch it might be stupid to buy a rangefinder.

7 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello hckymeyer
Great explanation and it's not long winded. I have replied to tony@CIC and cnosil. If you read that maybe a Launch monitor is the most interesting thing, when I'm on the course I use my watch for distance from the hole, the vivoactive 4 is not a real golf watch but it suffices for me and on the PC I can also see the distances, I don't know if they are quite correct. My garmin can also use for chipping, if I step off the distance with GPS on then I also know the distance or I use a long tape measure now too, I had one of 5 meters but it is broken, I did chipping started at 5 meters and so 5 meters back out with wedges, that's how I do it when putting start at 1 meter and so 1 meter back.
is more for finding out long distance shot to get more feeling and rhythm and to find out distance.
The rangefinder tips are also the most interesting.
Slight preference goes to a Portable Launch Monitor that is affordable something like PRGR Black Portable Launch Monitor. An affordable rangefinder is also the most interesting. If you already have a watch it might be stupid to buy a rangefinder.

It really sounds like what the root of what you are looking for is finding certain repeatable swing feels and finding out how far those are going.  Does that sum it up?

I think either device could be used effectively for this purpose.  But both will be different ways to get there.  The rangefinder is going to be what I mentioned before, a slightly longer process of using your gamer ball on the course and then shooting back to something visible.  Another option is finding an empty field and being able to hit 5-10 (or more) shots and then shooting back to your bag.  I would recommend doing this type of setup off the tee on a longer hole or in an empty field.  The idea is that you don't want a specific distance target, just a direction target.

For the launch monitor it may be the better device, you just need to be aware of the distance difference (potentially) of a range ball vs your gamer ball.  As long as it's consistent though it shouldn't be a hard calculation to make after a few times playing that yardage on the course.  I do have a PRGR monitor personally but I've never tried it on the range.  I've just been using it for Superspeed training to measure club head speed.

Best of luck with your distance finding.  I really don't think there is a wrong answer here, just different ways to get to the same result.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

18 hours ago, Christof said:

On the driving range with us there are 1 board of each 50 75 100 150 and 200 meters, there are still those round things on the ground that are about 50 75 100 and 125 meters, which are then in front of the Pro's trainers booth is all the way to the left of driving range, have a round or half round driving range, is on the far right or in the middle you have other distances. Can't do a lot with a rangefinder on the driving range, on the chipping area there are 4 flags for using the rangefinder. If I use my watch and step down the distance or take a long tape measurer then I also know the distance. Is especially the long shot and distance to know.

You can use a rangefinder to shoot areas on the ground; it does have to be an object like a tree, bunker edge, flag, distance board.   I have used it to get a distance to a discolored area on a range to practice distance control.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

It really sounds like what the root of what you are looking for is finding certain repeatable swing feels and finding out how far those are going.  Does that sum it up?

I think either device could be used effectively for this purpose.  But both will be different ways to get there.  The rangefinder is going to be what I mentioned before, a slightly longer process of using your gamer ball on the course and then shooting back to something visible.  Another option is finding an empty field and being able to hit 5-10 (or more) shots and then shooting back to your bag.  I would recommend doing this type of setup off the tee on a longer hole or in an empty field.  The idea is that you don't want a specific distance target, just a direction target.

For the launch monitor it may be the better device, you just need to be aware of the distance difference (potentially) of a range ball vs your gamer ball.  As long as it's consistent though it shouldn't be a hard calculation to make after a few times playing that yardage on the course.  I do have a PRGR monitor personally but I've never tried it on the range.  I've just been using it for Superspeed training to measure club head speed.

Best of luck with your distance finding.  I really don't think there is a wrong answer here, just different ways to get to the same result.

Hey hckymeyer

yes that's it's the feel tempo how far I hit the ball.

A Launch monitor seems the interesting thing but I wouldn't know where in Belgium to buy already googled but nothing. At superspeed in UK the cheapest is 225€ but if broken then sending it back to England which is a whole hassle of filling in forms I don't much fancy that. The Rangefinder from Decathlon also has good comments, costs 160€ I know there are cheaper and more expensive ones and Decathlon is for my little 30min drive or can have it delivered, but if broken I don't have to drive far to do back. The easiest and cheapest is the rangefinder.

Thanks already for the information.
Christof

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can use a rangefinder to shoot areas on the ground; it does have to be an object like a tree, bunker edge, flag, distance board.   I have used it to get a distance to a discolored area on a range to practice distance control.  

Hello Cnosil

Okay I always thought something like a flag or sign or a tree had to be that it's off the ground, had to be a certain height.
Then maybe a rangefinder becomes intressive.
Good for letting you know. thanks.