Chip or bump and run?

Have a question for the group and more experienced golfers. As a relatively new golfer, I’ve only been playing for two years and started late in life I’m 56. I’m really trying to break 100 now I leave a lot of strokes on the putting green but also in my shorter game. I’ve heard two schools of thought one keep grinding away on chip shots….and the other says learn to bump and run. it’s a Safer play what does everybody here think?

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

I grew up in the 70s where b&r w/ 7 or 8 iron was the play around the green. Most had a PW at best then, lucky ones had a SW. 

In many ways I think it was simpler then. You didn’t have a bouquet of wedges to chose from, or swanky golf balls to work on the green. 

I find it easier/more confident to b&r than worm burn a wedge… 😂🤣

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Different situations will call for different shots but more often than not I’ll opt for the bump and run. I’ve always felt it’s better to have the ball on the ground sooner rather than later.  

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Bump and run more often for me as well.  For a not so great player like myself I think its better to keep it lower and not have to hope I got enough spin on the ball so it doesnt fly off the green if I chip it. 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid 17.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood 24*

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 60*, SM8 54*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

Putt when you can. Chip when you can’t putt. Pitch when you can’t chip. 

A bump and run is really just a modified chip. Instead of it flying and then running out, it bounces a few times and runs out.

Of course, it depends on the circumstances. I did a 126 yard bump and run with a 6 iron today from the trees. I got it on the green and had a 15’ birdie putt, that I burned the edge with. 

:ping-small: G430 LST 10. on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 Max 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: iCrossover 3i on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small:  iCrossover 4i  on Graphite Design ADDI 7S 

:ping-small:  i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90 S 

:vokey-small: SM9 54° & 58° on :truetemper: Wedge 

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 on :accra: White

:L.A.B.: LINK1on     T P T    Putter        (on order)

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Could be a US terminology thing, but I don't think the technique is any different between a chip and a bump and run; just club selection. If you're interested in short game technique, Rick Shiels had a lesson with Dan Grieve that goes through a lot of good technique advice. In the end, to become a consistently good player you will need to be able to play short shots with your wedges decently well.

Best general short game advice I got given (I was lucky enough to work alongside Geoff Ogilvy for a bit): Never carry the ball further or higher than you need to. It just adds unnecessary difficulty and unpredictability.

Nearly all of my shots around the green I intend to land it about 1m on the green. I choose the club that should then roll out to the hole (obviously it doesn't always). That requires some time and practicing good technique so that you have a consistent strike to enable you to land the ball on your intended spot, and to get the roll-out to be accurately predictable. I would recommend looking up the rule of 12 to get you started with predicting roll out. But after a bit of practice you will adjust (I typically use rule of 11 as my starting point). So for a 10m shot with a bunker in the way I would use a higher lofted wedge out of necessity. 10m shot with no bunker, might be something more like a 7 or 8 iron.

P.S. I spoke to Geoff about his chip on 18 at the 2006 US Open. The only option he had that wouldn't have the severe unpredictability of that slope was to play a spinning shot left of the hole. He had no intention of getting it really close to the hole because there was much more flat area to work with by starting it left. You can leave yourself in a spot where you have no realistic way of getting it really close to the hole. Perhaps get it to 6 feet, make a putt, and win a US Open.

Edited by Blueberry_Squishie

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I was taught that a chip is performed such that the club head does not pass the hands on the follow through.  A pitch is releasing the club head like a mini full shot.  They can both be effective in covering the same distance depending on how the golfer wants to play the shot.  I’ve practiced chipping and have never done very well; I can’t keep the club head from releasing, so I quit fighting it and pitch the ball.  I guess that comes from my slo-pitch softball and horseshoes days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with @Blueberry_Squishie, that we have to clarify terminology.   I consider a bump and run a type of chip shot.   I also consider pitches and chips as short game and/or finesse shots.   Our short game shots can have multiple trajectories and spin amounts.   It is often stated that it is better to get the ball on the ground and let it roll to the hole rather than try to fly the ball to a specific location and use spin to control distance.  For a beginner golfer; as the OP indicated they were, I would suggest following the method of getting the ball on the ground and letting it roll to the hole and use less lofted irons and shorter swings to control distance. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would consider the differences to be primarily distance and height.  Bump and run is for me typically a shot that is kept low with a hybrid or 6-7 iron from outside 3 yards or more off the green. Pitch can be anywhere from inside 50 yards to green side but with 52-56-60 degree and typically carried to the fringe or onto the green with some height and spin.  Chipping for me is usually with 44-48 degree and is the shot of choice within 1 foot off the green up to about 3 yards off.  As I am right handed, Chips are flat left wrist and pitches are released.  Bump and run can be either.  

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

17 hours ago, Caddie1966 said:

I would consider the differences to be primarily distance and height.  Bump and run is for me typically a shot that is kept low with a hybrid or 6-7 iron from outside 3 yards or more off the green. Pitch can be anywhere from inside 50 yards to green side but with 52-56-60 degree and typically carried to the fringe or onto the green with some height and spin.  Chipping for me is usually with 44-48 degree and is the shot of choice within 1 foot off the green up to about 3 yards off.  As I am right handed, Chips are flat left wrist and pitches are released.  Bump and run can be either.  

Thanks. That was going to be my next question. What club is best to start practicing with for bump and run?

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

23 minutes ago, Fyrmedic said:

Thanks. That was going to be my next question. What club is best to start practicing with for bump and run?

All of them.  You need to learn the carry and roll out for each club.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For me it depends on where the flag is in relation to my ball.  If I have plenty of green to work with then it is bump and run all day (I am more comfortable with this shot anyways).  If I am short sided or dont have a lot of green to work with then a chip shot is the play for me.

Driver - Cobra Radspeed XB

3W - Cobra Radspeed

7W - Taylormade Stealth

3Hy - Ping G425

Irons - Ping G425

Wedges - 56 Cleveland CG14, 60 Cleveland CBX

Putter - Ping Sigma2 Fetch

9 hours ago, Fyrmedic said:

Here's a great drill. 

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

SmartSelect_20230606_215757_Firefox.jpg.78c43ec1add25a39d83bb13dfaf691da.jpg

It's been stated above, but I'm a fan of keep it low and let it roll.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Everyone has already hit on what I would about letting it roll as the preference, the only thing I will note of why I do that is go out and try to land a ball two yards in front of you into a small circle and see how often you can do that and then try to land the ball in the same circle 10 yards away. I think we all know which one will be easier.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I like to roll the ball if I can with putter/hybrid /low lofted iron 

That’s usually the best choice But there are many scenarios that wedge are good options.  It is confusing to use term chip vs bump.  I just visualized high shot vs lower shot with a wedge and just choose which option is the best   I use LW or SW cause I can delofted and turn face over to get a lower trajectory   Or leave the face open and cut and get higher trajectory 

So many terms to describe these wedge shots around the green that’s it’s hard to define  Lob/flop/pitch/bump/chip etc 

I play both shots. I use a 58 for chips and bump with a 7i. If you are trying to break 100 I would learn the bump and run as there is more margin for error with that shot. You're basically taking a short iron, closing it down, and more or less putting with it. I use it a lot from the apron, fairways short, or just off the green.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I also play both shots depending on the distance and where I need to land the ball.  I use both my PW and 9 iron for the bump and run.

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/ProLaunch 45 S

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Ping G430 Max 5 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 Max 7 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 4 hyrid w/AltaCB 70 R

Toura Golf CB 6-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Vokey Sm10 wedges 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 6/4/2023 at 8:18 PM, Kenny B said:

I was taught that a chip is performed such that the club head does not pass the hands on the follow through.  A pitch is releasing the club head like a mini full shot.  They can both be effective in covering the same distance depending on how the golfer wants to play the shot.  I’ve practiced chipping and have never done very well; I can’t keep the club head from releasing, so I quit fighting it and pitch the ball.  I guess that comes from my slo-pitch softball and horseshoes days.

All my short game shots are variations of what I call a pitch shot above.  I do not set my wrists and maintain that angle where the clubhead doesn't pass the hands as I was initially taught.

Most shots are with my 60º and I vary the landing area based on how much roll I expect.  I do not play for a spin shot.  This is my goto shot normally.  If my ball is close to the green, I could use a bump and run shot with either my 60º or my 48º PW depending on distance to the pin.  I have never used any club longer than a PW to perform this shot on the greens at my course.  I've tried it a few times with an 8i but the ball will typically roll to the other side or off the green.  At other courses I have used an 8i or 9i if the distance to the pin is more than 20 yards.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

From all of the comments above, it's clear that there's a lot of way to skin a cat!   You need to experiment with different situations, different shots, and different clubs to see what works best for you.  More often than not, how you approach a short distance shot will depend on a range of factors and what you are most comfortable doing. 

For me, the shot and club selection depend on how much green I have to work with, is the approach landing spot into a rise or down hill, and if I can't execute the shot perfectly, where do I want to leave the ball (uphill or downhill putt, etc.) that will give the best chance to make the putt.  Given my greens in regulation is dismal (around 15%) I'm put in situations that require a good touch around the green and often some imagination.  Because of that, I actually spend more time at our small chipping area trying different lies, clubs and shot types so that when faced with a similar shot I can remember how I executed it.  For me, I have a terrible time judging the needed to get through the rough or first cut and cozying it up next to the cup with a putter.  But that's me.  I have playing partners that will pull out their putters when they are 50-60 yards out no matter how much green they have to work with or the size of the false front they need to navigate (and I'm not talking about conditions like St. Andrews or other links course).  Often their "confidence" with their putter is based more on being uncomfortable with their wedges executing the same shot.   

Like I said, there's a lot of way to skin a cat!  You have to find what you feel comfortable to start.  Then I'd start picking those chip, pitch and other short approach shots that make you feel uncomfortable and experiment with shot and club options to expand your repertoire.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie