Interesting Fitting Experience

Peaksy68

I went for a fitting today trying to find a 5 wood to replace my Cobra F8.  I've been hitting the odd massive pull hook with it lately and have lost confidence with it.   I went to my local Drummond Golf store, which is the biggest chain of golf stores in Australia. 

The fitting was indoors of a mat, hitting the same ball I play on course (Srixon Z Star XV)I was asked to bring my current 5 wood as well as my 3 wood (Cobra F8) and 7 wood (Titleist TS)  Data was from a GC Quad system

I hit several balls with the Cobra 5 wood before he took some data.  After 10 or so swings he changed the settings to a 10mph headwind and had me hit a few more.

I then hit the Titleist TS2 5 wood, working through Tensei Blue, Hazrdus Black, Tensei Black shafts.  Then I hit the Ping 435 5 wood. This was quickly dropped as my ball strike pattern was poor with it.

I then hit my current 3 and 7 woods, and after that the fitter adjusted the lofts down on all of my fairways and I hit them again. Ball flight was slightly straighter across the board, with very consistent distances and a consistent small fade. 

The most impressive thing of the fitting process (especially one in a store) was when his recommendation was to keep my current clubs and save myself a minimum of $500, and probably $1500 as I would have probably gone for 3 new fairways if the were an improvement.

The data did confirm my thoughts on my swing, a bit too much out to in and clubface a bit open. A couple of little tips around focus through the line helped my path immediately.  

I can't imagine many in store fittings going the same but I was really impressed that there was more pressure not to buy than to buy.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

That’s how good fitters operate. They aren’t pushing sales, they are there to give the customer the best option. 

Not sure what the in store environment is like in australia but in the US unless paying the upgrade fee for a tour van fitting or going to one of the high end fitting places like Truspec, the in store fittings are hit or miss and more on the miss side, but that’s also true for many outdoor fittings. Fittings regardless of where they are given are only as good as the fitter but also how good the communication is between fitter and golfer 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

I went for a fitting today trying to find a 5 wood to replace my Cobra F8.  I've been hitting the odd massive pull hook with it lately and have lost confidence with it.   I went to my local Drummond Golf store, which is the biggest chain of golf stores in Australia. 

The fitting was indoors of a mat, hitting the same ball I play on course (Srixon Z Star XV)I was asked to bring my current 5 wood as well as my 3 wood (Cobra F8) and 7 wood (Titleist TS)  Data was from a GC Quad system

I hit several balls with the Cobra 5 wood before he took some data.  After 10 or so swings he changed the settings to a 10mph headwind and had me hit a few more.

I then hit the Titleist TS2 5 wood, working through Tensei Blue, Hazrdus Black, Tensei Black shafts.  Then I hit the Ping 435 5 wood. This was quickly dropped as my ball strike pattern was poor with it.

I then hit my current 3 and 7 woods, and after that the fitter adjusted the lofts down on all of my fairways and I hit them again. Ball flight was slightly straighter across the board, with very consistent distances and a consistent small fade. 

The most impressive thing of the fitting process (especially one in a store) was when his recommendation was to keep my current clubs and save myself a minimum of $500, and probably $1500 as I would have probably gone for 3 new fairways if the were an improvement.

The data did confirm my thoughts on my swing, a bit too much out to in and clubface a bit open. A couple of little tips around focus through the line helped my path immediately.  

I can't imagine many in store fittings going the same but I was really impressed that there was more pressure not to buy than to buy.

A few years ago I had a full bag fitting -putter from True Spec and he said the same thing.  We hit off mats but were hitting through a bay door to the driving range at Pronghorn GC in Bend Oregon.  I wasn't looking for anything specific, but I would have purchased if I found a significant improvement.  I did hit a Mizuno iron that was fabulous feeling and a little better dispersion but shorter; not significant enough to spend $1200.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing - 

I think it's crucial for the person being fitted to have an idea about what equipment might work best.  I'm not telling my fitter what to do because that wouldn't make sense but if he starts to recommend stuff that I know wouldn't work - I shake his hand, say thanks and ignore the recommendation - the last time that I didn't do that cost me $500, and a driver that I hit really well which I sold to a friend who still has it - oh but I did get a higher handicap index out of the deal!  🙂

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67.