I know this situation is not unique to me, but I have really been struggling off the tee. I have a Ping G425 max driver, and hit it well at the end of last year, but this year, I either yank it left or spin it way out right. I've actually resorted to using my 3 wood (also a Ping G425) off the tee and hit it about the same distance (260-270). I don't spin it as much, and I'm sure that's the main reason they are equal in distance. 

My course isn't very long, so it's not as much of an issue there, but when I play some longer courses, it would be nice to use my driver and get closer to 300 off the tee if I needed/wanted to. 

Anyone with some good advice on getting off the tee without penalty? 

This is a swing issue. You want to reduce penalties off the tee you will have to fix your swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 hours ago, 80Breaker said:

I know this situation is not unique to me, but I have really been struggling off the tee. I have a Ping G425 max driver, and hit it well at the end of last year, but this year, I either yank it left or spin it way out right. I've actually resorted to using my 3 wood (also a Ping G425) off the tee and hit it about the same distance (260-270). I don't spin it as much, and I'm sure that's the main reason they are equal in distance. 

My course isn't very long, so it's not as much of an issue there, but when I play some longer courses, it would be nice to use my driver and get closer to 300 off the tee if I needed/wanted to. 

There are hundreds of solutions on YouTube that can fix you right up.   I jest, but that is sort of the answer; without seeing a video of your swing no one can  give you any advice on what you might be doing.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 hours ago, 80Breaker said:

my 3 wood (also a Ping G425) off the tee and hit it about the same distance (260-270).

Sheesh I wish I had ^that^ problem 🤪

Sorry I cannot offer advice other than to seek out a teaching pro to analyze your swing and offer drills. Who knows it could also be a setup issue, eg ball position and/or tee height.

All I know is with practice and lessons and more practice my driver swing is finally starting to come around...

Good luck!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I feel you on this one! Recently, I've really been struggling with my driver this year forcing me to tee off with my 3wd (260ish) or 3 iron (230ish) to keep the ball in the fairway as well. Luckily my club is also pretty short, just 6300 from the tips.

I guess the positive is that it's really forced me to fine tune my irons and short game to keep my scoring decent but man, I need to get it fixed for sure!

I know my biggest issue is swing pace - the faster I swing with my driver the worse the drive generally is. I don't have that issue at all with my irons but the second I overswing with my driver, UGLY! Really trying to focus on rhythm and swinging with better tempo. 

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Tour 65 Stiff Shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same issue. I hit a massive shank to the right. I call my driver the boomerang it shanks so far. Ive resorted to just leaving it in the bag and using my long irons. 
1. I've been told I over swing and just try to kill the ball. 
2. I dont have a pre-shot ritual like I do with my irons. Just step up like its my first time and hack away at it. Just basic no clue what happens when walk up with the driver. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, 80Breaker said:

This was my life for quite sometime. Have you tried setting the driver in the flattest setting? That’s why I got a ping driver. It helped a lot. Make sure you “keep your head down” I worked on lowering my head on the backswing and then hold that until your finish. A lot of golfers struggle with standing up, at first it will feel like you’re gonna hit the ground and you will hit bad shots but stick with it. People bash this advice nowadays but I think this is a big reason a lot of golfers struggle off the tee. Once you start to stand up your body starts doing some weird stuff, hold that position all the way through. You won’t think it’s possible to generate any power but then boom, it goes further than it did. This will work, I promise. Watch a video on Jason Dufner’s swing or highlights and watch how he finishes his swing. Envision that while swinging. Just his finish. ✌️ 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I want to explain more on the driver setting. It’s generic knowledge that upright makes the ball go left and flat makes the ball go right. This doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone. If you hit your 3 wood good then a flat setting “might” be a good option. Todays drivers are quite a bit upright in comparison to the rest of your set. For me, I could never see the club path correctly, it just looked off. If you flatten it, then it becomes more of a progression from your 3 wood rather than a drastic change upright. Remember also, it is tough to assess online and these are things that worked for me. But for many years I didn’t even have a driver in the bag, it was just extra weight and space I didn’t need, it is now one of my favorite clubs to hit. I’m still not the best off the tee but I am miles ahead of where I was. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

On 7/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, cnosil said:

There are hundreds of solutions on YouTube that can fix you right up.   I jest, but that is sort of the answer; without seeing a video of your swing no one can  give you any advice on what you might be doing.   

Yep. And the issue is entirely unique to you. I struggled off the tee all year until the past round where I hurt my knee right before the round. Made sure to overemphasize keeping my knees a bit more stable and voila, driver's fixed. 

OP, this might be one of the times where a quick one or two-time lesson/checkup with a pro would help. $50 to $100 might be worth fixing your yips off the tee and being a little bit happier with the results in your round. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, PrismFlopper said:

Have the same issue. I hit a massive shank to the right. I call my driver the boomerang it shanks so far. Ive resorted to just leaving it in the bag and using my long irons. 
1. I've been told I over swing and just try to kill the ball. 
2. I dont have a pre-shot ritual like I do with my irons. Just step up like its my first time and hack away at it. Just basic no clue what happens when walk up with the driver. 

I DO the exact same thing!! STUPID hard right shank with the driver, then I tell myself that next hole if this dang driver slices I'm using irons the rest of the day.... Then I get that ONE sweet picture perfect drive, straight down the fairways, hits about 260-270 then rolls a bit. The golf gods or devil gives ya that good lookin one only to crush your hopes the next tee shot. 
So to address this I have really tried to have a pre shot routine and also to relax and not over think the driver. When I line up the irons, there is almost zero worry or thought. But the driver I think to much and feel like I am standing there forever. Stay calm and start the routine then hack away. 

Murphy, Derek

• 4 weeks later...

My driver has been the arch enemy as of late and I'm breaking down and getting a lesson.  I finally got fitted for clubs this past year and it has changed my swing and game.  My irons have improved 10 fold and I am still getting adjusted to them but the flight is no longer a Texas wind shot and I have been able to work the ball.  When it comes to my driver, most days I don't even want to use it after the first attempt.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

22 hours ago, jdparker said:

My driver has been the arch enemy as of late and I'm breaking down and getting a lesson.  I finally got fitted for clubs this past year and it has changed my swing and game.  My irons have improved 10 fold and I am still getting adjusted to them but the flight is no longer a Texas wind shot and I have been able to work the ball.  When it comes to my driver, most days I don't even want to use it after the first attempt.  

A few weeks ago I had had enough of just shank after shank and losing the ball with the driver, I put that sucka right in the bag and finished the round with Irons off the tees. I didn't do any better but sure didn't do any worse. I also didn't lose a bunch of balls. Come the next round I still had a slice but it wasn't pronounced to the point that I just couldn't find the ball. 
Long story short, my buddy and I decided that a proper club fitting would be good for the both of us. So hearing that you got some great results already, it lends me to want to do this quicker

Murphy, Derek

On 8/25/2023 at 9:31 AM, D.Murphy said:

I DO the exact same thing!! STUPID hard right shank with the driver, then I tell myself that next hole if this dang driver slices I'm using irons the rest of the day.... Then I get that ONE sweet picture perfect drive, straight down the fairways, hits about 260-270 then rolls a bit. The golf gods or devil gives ya that good lookin one only to crush your hopes the next tee shot. 
So to address this I have really tried to have a pre shot routine and also to relax and not over think the driver. When I line up the irons, there is almost zero worry or thought. But the driver I think to much and feel like I am standing there forever. Stay calm and start the routine then hack away. 

I did something similar in a present routine and focused more on over exaggerating my swing coming more outside so that my down swing comes in more straight. Also slowing down my swing speed cause I realized if I just swing away yeah like 1 in 50 will be tagged 290yds but I’d prefer to slow it down and hit it 260 but increasing my odds of hitting a straight ball. Guilty of always trying to just kill the ball.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

24 minutes ago, PrismFlopper said:

I did something similar in a present routine and focused more on over exaggerating my swing coming more outside so that my down swing comes in more straight. Also slowing down my swing speed cause I realized if I just swing away yeah like 1 in 50 will be tagged 290yds but I’d prefer to slow it down and hit it 260 but increasing my odds of hitting a straight ball. Guilty of always trying to just kill the ball.

I have slowed my back swing down a lot since one of by buddies pointed out that I was coming back WAY to fast. His actual words were "OK Rham how about you put it in play next time." I agree that getting like 240-260 in the Fairway is way better than 290 OB. But can't get better if you aren't playing what you like lol. 
I know I just need to practice more in all honestly, My hands get ahead of the club head and thus slicing hard OB. 

Murphy, Derek

Doesn't everyone experience this?  My fault is the same..trying to kill the driver.  I try a couple things, not all at the same time.  First, I try the Tommy Armour advice.  Count 1, 2, pause in your backswing and fire on 3.  Usually keeps me from overswinging.  Another thing to try is you are hitting your 3 wood well off the tee is choke down on your driver 2-3 inches to approximate the same length as your 3 wood.   I did that last week and the driver started going straighter and farther.  Then gradually work your way back to full length.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

1 hour ago, D.Murphy said:

A few weeks ago I had had enough of just shank after shank and losing the ball with the driver, I put that sucka right in the bag and finished the round with Irons off the tees. I didn't do any better but sure didn't do any worse. I also didn't lose a bunch of balls. Come the next round I still had a slice but it wasn't pronounced to the point that I just couldn't find the ball. 
Long story short, my buddy and I decided that a proper club fitting would be good for the both of us. So hearing that you got some great results already, it lends me to want to do this quicker

I have been there way too many times to count with the driver!  My 3 wood or 16 degree hybrid is long enough and consistent enough that I just play those, but dangit, I want to hit the driver!  I'm setting up a lesson with our pro hopefully for early next week and hoping to work this out.  

For the iron fittings, it made a world of difference!  Huge fan of fittings now.  Just expect to have a "break-in" period.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Steve S said:

Doesn't everyone experience this?  My fault is the same..trying to kill the driver.  I try a couple things, not all at the same time.  First, I try the Tommy Armour advice.  Count 1, 2, pause in your backswing and fire on 3.  Usually keeps me from overswinging.  Another thing to try is you are hitting your 3 wood well off the tee is choke down on your driver 2-3 inches to approximate the same length as your 3 wood.   I did that last week and the driver started going straighter and farther.  Then gradually work your way back to full length.

I would try three a 3 wood off the tee if I had one. I haven't had a three wood in my bag for well over 15 years, so at this point I don't even know if getting another new club is worth it or just stick to 4 Iron off the tee and playing it that way. I do want to get a driving iron for sure. Maybe a 2 so I can get a bit most distance while still keeping at iron style swing. 

Murphy, Derek

Don’t leave your driver in the bag and opt for your three wood. Way too much data showing that the risk/reward (distance / dispersion) for a driver vs three wood makes the driver worthwhile. But two things that helped me a ton with my driver. First, definitely take a lesson or two focusing only on your driver. For me it helped a lot in terms of setup and swing. I also learned to “ease up”  on my effort and my swing speed and distance went up. Second, get a driver fitting. I switched from a Callaway Apex to a Taylor Made Stealth 2+ and my carry distance is up about 20 yards. I’m also finding a lot more fairways than before. 

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 4:40 PM, Steve S said:

No three wood is a not a problem.  Just choke down 2-4 inches on the driver and try that.

So I did what you suggested here and choked WAY down on the ol dirver this last week. I hit about 6-8 practice ball with the grip and was swinging maybe 50%, and things looked fairly good to go. First tee, sliced, but nothing terrible like usual. Pretty sure I was just trying to grip it and rip it, so not really what I was going for. But for the rest of the round I focused on keeping it in play and this really did help. I had more then 5 straight down the middle picture perfect. Only was getting about 230/240 so nothing impressive. But I was in the fairway and was giving myself a better second look for sure. 

Thanks for the tip.
I plan on slowly decreasing the how far I choke down slowly but surely till I get a better handle on the swing.

Murphy, Derek

On 10/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, D.Murphy said:

So I did what you suggested here and choked WAY down on the ol dirver this last week. I hit about 6-8 practice ball with the grip and was swinging maybe 50%, and things looked fairly good to go. First tee, sliced, but nothing terrible like usual. Pretty sure I was just trying to grip it and rip it, so not really what I was going for. But for the rest of the round I focused on keeping it in play and this really did help. I had more then 5 straight down the middle picture perfect. Only was getting about 230/240 so nothing impressive. But I was in the fairway and was giving myself a better second look for sure. 

Thanks for the tip.
I plan on slowly decreasing the how far I choke down slowly but surely till I get a better handle on the swing.

Glad I could help.  It's not genius.  Many of the pros are going with 44 inch drivers to improve control.  And I find it's better than cutting down the shaft. I only do it when I lose my driver.  Soon as I'm back on track I'm back to 46 inch.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up