Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Home/Range Launch Monitor recommendations

jonzo88

Hi All, 

New to the forum. Still working out how this works.

I am in the market to invest in my first launch monitor, I wondered if you guys/girls have any recommendations on entry level that are fairly accurate in numbers to get practice in at home/range. 

I personal had the Voice caddie SC4 in mind but what your guys opinion? Also why is the optishot  version £200/$200 more?

Cheers all.

Driver -Callaway Epic Max LS/ 3W - Callaway Rogue / Utility - Cobra king 2I / Irons - 718 AP2 / Wedges - SM6 vokeys 52,56 / Putter - TaylorMade TP Bandon 3

All depends on your budget and what you are really wanting to get out of it. 

Rapsodo MLM2 Pro comes to mind as a great option.

New SkyTrak looks to be another good option, but a little more.

If it's just for more fun Garmin R10 is a simple and not so expensive unit. 

Lots of options, but knowing how much you want to spend may be the best place to start.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think the cheapest launch monitor that is garnering fair reviews is the MLM2 pro.  Something else to consider is picking up a second hand unit.  I have Bushnell Launch Pros going for around $2k used.  Breaking 80 does some good LM reviews/comparisons: 

let’s play through also has helpful information  

WITB: Paradym drivers and irons.  18 handicap searching for better drives! 

Thanks 🙂 for your inputs guys. These are the ones that I've  looked at and in the price range i have chose. I went away from the MLM purely due to the subscription after the first year and wanting to use it out door on the range at times as well.  The new video from 'lets play thru' was a good watch. I like both of the guys content. I think am still leaning towards the new SC4. Have either of you guys seen reviews on the orbit(SC4) and know as to why its more expensive for the same unit?

Driver -Callaway Epic Max LS/ 3W - Callaway Rogue / Utility - Cobra king 2I / Irons - 718 AP2 / Wedges - SM6 vokeys 52,56 / Putter - TaylorMade TP Bandon 3

1 hour ago, jonzo88 said:

Thanks 🙂 for your inputs guys. These are the ones that I've  looked at and in the price range i have chose. I went away from the MLM purely due to the subscription after the first year and wanting to use it out door on the range at times as well.  The new video from 'lets play thru' was a good watch. I like both of the guys content. I think am still leaning towards the new SC4. Have either of you guys seen reviews on the orbit(SC4) and know as to why its more expensive for the same unit?

Unfortunately I haven't and can't speak to the SC4. 

I've talked a bit to the Rapsodo guys and they are excited for what they have in the MLM2 Pro which is why I mentioned it.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've been through a couple launch monitors now... and my only advice is to stretch the budget as much as you can so you only end up buying one. I started with a Flightscope Mevo plus and now am very happy with my Bushnell Launch Pro. Obviously looking at different budgets, but the same idea applies here. Pay a little extra for the accuracy and features you want, try to compromise the least you can and you'll be happier in the long run!

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

2 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

I've been through a couple launch monitors now... and my only advice is to stretch the budget as much as you can so you only end up buying one. I started with a Flightscope Mevo plus and now am very happy with my Bushnell Launch Pro. Obviously looking at different budgets, but the same idea applies here. Pay a little extra for the accuracy and features you want, try to compromise the least you can and you'll be happier in the long run!

Thanks for the advice Nick.  May I ask what made you change from the Mevo+? its an nice upgrade to your new unit?

I use mine mostly as an indoor simulator. The Mevo is very sensitive to how you have it setup and the ball tracking is not quite as accurate as the camera based Bushnell. The Bushnell setup take a couple seconds and is much more accurate. The biggest reason for the upgrade was short chipping and putting. With the Mevo you really can't putt at all and the short chipping was questionable at best. With that being said, the Mevo was very accurate on any full swing shots and is a VERY good launch monitor for the price.

Back to my first point as to spending a little bit more money from the start... I told myself I would be happy with full shots only with the Mevo, and I was for a while. I haven't looked into launch monitors in the price range of the SC4 for a little while, but if there is something that checks all the boxes for you that is maybe a couple hundred dollars more I would say go for it. If you had any interest in indoor simulation, my advice is that the most budget launch monitor someone should get is the Mevo plus or a Skytrak. I could start a whole topic on why I think the mevo is better than the skytrak, but I digress...

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

3 hours ago, BShizzle said:

I think the cheapest launch monitor that is garnering fair reviews is the MLM2 pro.  Something else to consider is picking up a second hand unit.  I have Bushnell Launch Pros going for around $2k used.  Breaking 80 does some good LM reviews/comparisons: 

let’s play through also has helpful information  

Buying a used unit is a great point as well. There are ALWAYS people upgrading to the next thing and you can often find an awesome unit for a decent price. If you want to use it outdoors, I'd steer clear of Skytrak units because I believe they are temperamental in the sunlight. 

Nick_D's Putter Projects

I must admit, it hasnt crossed my mind to look at second hand ones so this is something I will have to look at. It would be a bonus to get my hands on a better unit if it comes in my price range. 

Here in the UK I havent heard of any second hand sellers. So I'll have to look into that. If you guys know of any websites that ship worldwide for second hand kits I would greatly appreciate it.

I can live without a putting option as for me I like to work on that on the course and over the winter months I tend to practice on my stroke at home.

I have very limited space in my garage…..8ft ceilings single stall garage width (wife’s vehicle is in the other one).  Which does not allow me to swing all of my clubs. I can get up to my 5w but that’s about it. However I did not let that stop me from setting up a hitting area in that space. I have used both the Rapsodo MLM original and the Swing Caddie 300i. Loved the features that the Rapsodo had but sessions were limited to the battery life of the iSO device required to use it. The 300i has a 20+ hour battery life but does not carry as many features. The biggest downfall of the 300i for me is the lack of directional path. The Rapsodo uses an algorithm like most indoor budget LMs do but it at least gives you an idea of how far off the centerline your ball is traveling. I mainly use my set up to map my club distances and for developing a consistent swing, so both LMs worked perfectly for that. I normally work on directional issues outside on the range. Each also has a very good app associated that can give more swing data and data storage for future reference and to see trends. 

Both can be used indoor or outdoor. The 300i worked better in the outdoor category fore me simply because of ease of use. You simply turn it on set it up behind you and start to swing. The 300i also comes with a remote that lets you change clubs without having to mess with the device. I would have it in my pocket and cycle through my bag while never having to touch or walk back to the monitor. However, the shot tracer function on the Rapsodo was super cool!

But really it’s all about how much you are wanting to invest and what types of Dara you are looking to get. If you really want to dive into dissecting your swing data then the $$$ models are where you want to be looking. If you are more concerned about dialing in yardages then save yourself some money and look at the lower tier ones. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

I would recommend a used mevo plus, its a really accurate unit for the price and is great outdoors as well as indoors if setup correctly. There are also a TON of them out there and people upgrade from them all the time. I would think ebay might be your best bet, or there are a few on 2nd swing for a decent price: https://www.2ndswing.com/accessories/launch-monitors/flightscope-mevo-plus-launch-monitor

One thing to look out for... Mevo plus comes with a free limited E6 connect subscription with access to a range and a few courses you can play. If you are buying used, some people setup an email specifically to be used for their Mevo that they can give you the login for. If they don't include this, you will not have access to the E6 connect subscription. You would only have access to the flightscope specific apps that would include a range and some target games. 

Nick_D's Putter Projects

11 minutes ago, jonzo88 said:

I must admit, it hasnt crossed my mind to look at second hand ones so this is something I will have to look at.

My Swing Caddie is a factory refurbished model. Got a great deal on it and have no issues whatsoever so far after over a year and a half of using. Plus you could look at some sites that sale open box returns. Can usually snag those for a good price. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

Cheers for that help guys. more research to be done. I recently bought a tripod to record my practice at home in the net to see me swing and that alone has been a game changer for me, so i know tho plus a LM will be next level. 

Hey guys, 

Back again with some help. Has anyone heard or know anything about the GolfJoy LM's?   https://www.golfjoy.com/collections/launch-monitors 

ones in question the Waver and Plus. Are these LEGIT? Seen no reviews about and only this vid on youtube. 

are they the real deal? any info you guys have would be great.

Haven't seen anything about them before, but after a quick bit of research I'd probably steer clear.. Seems to be one of the first Chinese direct manufacturers of launch monitors. They could be good? But I certainly wouldn't be the first to try it considering it says they're available "July 2023" and I saw in another forum that the release date kept getting moved back. I would guess that's why there aren't any real reviews yet as no one has one in their hand.

In my opinion you never want to be an early adopter. Let everyone else spend their money and work out the kinks for you first and then you can make an educated decision. But I have been wrong before!

Nick_D's Putter Projects

I follow the LM market somewhat closely and this is the first I have heard on that’s one.  Will definitely do some research.

• 3 weeks later...

Best bang for your buck right now is the OG skytrak used.  Its actually super accurate if setup correctly.  Only con is once in awhile it will misread a shot shape or not read at all(usually small chips/putts).  

I recently went to the gc3 and absolutely love it for the increased dependability and ease of use.  For more money you get more information but for a starter setup I think its overkill.  

Ive used my buddies garmin R10 and can definitely say all my normal misses never registered.  All my shots went straight with barely any curve and excess backspin. Not a fan. 

the new uneekor eye mini looks like a hell of a deal if you do want to dive into the middle price market.  Love that is shows slowmo of face contact. 

Edited by TG8
More info

WITB

Anyone have the Ernest Sports Es Tour unit? I see that they are a veteran owned US based company as well. $1795 for the new unit comes with 5 courses and seems pretty good for indoors setup with limited space. The Mevo and other low price units require at least 20 feet of space for the radar to work properly.

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 11:44 AM, TG8 said:

Best bang for your buck right now is the OG skytrak used.  Its actually super accurate if setup correctly.  Only con is once in awhile it will misread a shot shape or not read at all(usually small chips/putts).  

I recently went to the gc3 and absolutely love it for the increased dependability and ease of use.  For more money you get more information but for a starter setup I think its overkill.  

Ive used my buddies garmin R10 and can definitely say all my normal misses never registered.  All my shots went straight with barely any curve and excess backspin. Not a fan. 

the new uneekor eye mini looks like a hell of a deal if you do want to dive into the middle price market.  Love that is shows slowmo of face contact. 

Have you tried the eye mini?  It’s really interesting especially with the $1000 price break.  

On 9/11/2023 at 4:56 AM, BShizzle said:

Have you tried the eye mini?  It’s really interesting especially with the $1000 price break.  

Unfortunately not, I tried talking a buddy into going with it but opted for the gc3 since he is used to mine. 

WITB

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but has anyone got info on if the RCT balls improve accuracy on numbers for the SC4?