Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Unofficial review of the LagShot swing trainers (part 1)

EnderinAZ

To start this little review of the LagShot system let me first introduce myself. Mike Woltering. I live and golf in Mesa Arizona and I have always, always, always had a propensity to come over the top with my golf swing. I will be 66 in a month. Age, injuries, and surgeries have taken their toll on my once long fluid swing (but still over the top) and turned it into this choppy short thing that I hated. I hated it for two reasons. The first was best put by Roy McAvoy in the movie Tin Cup. “My swing feels like an unfolding lawn chair!”. The second is that lawn chair only punted the ball 200 yards or so if I wanted to keep it in play.

Synchronization? Nope, not in my swing.

So I bought a Rypstick to get my speed up. Yeah that worked, well, not so great. It just meant that I hit the ball further out of bounds, or into the trees, or the other fairway, or the lake. Fun right?

A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving I had a LagShot add pop into my inbox. I watched the attached video and thought maybe this would work. The LagShot does one thing all the other swing trainers, gizmos, things and stuff I have purchased over the years do not do. You hit a golf ball with a full speed swing with them. So you get instant feedback.

The box shows up and I pull out three clubs. Driver, 7 iron, wedge and think, “Holy cow I have fly rods that don't have this much whip in them. No matter, I have watched the training videos so off to the driving range I go. After warming up a bit I put a ball down with my alignment sticks, do my best to follow the video....and come right over the top with my swing starting in my hands and shoulders. The LagShot 7 iron gives me instant feedback from the second I started my back swing. By the time the club head is approaching the ball I know the face is wide open. True to form the ball squibs off to the right and barely makes it off the range tee and into the ball collection area.

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Part 2

But I felt what the club was doing the ENTIRE swing!

Went back to what the training videos said. Start small with little swings that the back swing ends with the club at about 9 o:clock. Then amplify your turn so you are out of the way of your hands and club(lag). When this feels right try a full swing again. I did and the results were astonishing!

45 minutes later I dropped the range ball basket back onto the stack thinking I had just finished hitting the last 10 balls with my driver with a perfect inside out swing! For me that was something similar to Moses parting the Red Sea.

Fast forward to yesterday. I have taken the LagShots down to the range every time I play and a couple of other times. This work came to fruition during yesterdays round. I had near total command of my swing with all of my clubs save my putter (that little bugger blasted out 4 three putts on the day. Yuck!). I had to work on my aiming and grip some – did you know that with a proper swing and sequence a minor grip change will make a minor ball flight change?? With my crappy old swing I didn't!- but all in all I hit 10 fairways and all 4 par 3 greens. It was a really fun day to play.

Can I tell you that this trainer will work for you? No, I cannot. I know of 3 people who tried it and said it did nothing for their swing. Do I recommend trying the LagShot system on your own driving range? Yes I do, unequivocally. Find someone that has a LagShot club and give it a good bucket of balls as a test run. That or order one from the company and test LagShot's 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Either way if your swing isn't working, improving, or you are recovering from a long golf absence the LagShot system just might be your way back to enjoying your recap of the round at the 19th hole.

do you use all 3?   Do you favor one over any of the others?   Have you tried the wedge for shortgame improvements?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

do you use all 3?   Do you favor one over any of the others?   Have you tried the wedge for shortgame improvements?

Yes I practice with all three. I took a pitching wedge from 120 yards to the green a looped a shot around the tree that was blocking the flag from my view. I hit it a little hard and through the green but right at the flag.  I could not have done that a month ago. I believe it was the LagShot training that got that ball bending the way it did. 

The 7 iron is what I warm up with, but the driver is what I eventually end up on.  The thing is heavy and working with it will most likely give me a few extra yards at least.

Happy it's working for you Mike!!  

My LagShot 7i arrived this week and I have used it a few times in my hitting bay; haven't taken into the range, but we have to hit off mats there so what's the point for me?  I haven't been coming OTT for a few years since my lessons with Monte; maybe I do a little when I get tired... I'm 76.  However, I have noticed that it gives me a feel in transition that I like.  I tend to rush the transition, and that creates mishits plus a weak shot.  I'm going to work with it during my routines to see if I can get my hands more forward at impact.  

Where do you play in Mesa?  We visit Phoenix every other year; was in Scottsdale last January and this coming February we will be in Palm Springs, then back to Phoenix the next year.  My brother-in-law lives in Surprise.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I live in a +55 community called Leisure World where I mostly play Coyote Run. I really Like Superstition Springs, but in season costs now have risen beyond what I am willing to pay to let that bloody hard course kick my butt on a regular basis. 

• 3 months later...

Any updates? I've noticed quite a few members mention the LagShot recently, and I'm sure more will be coming as the season moves into full swing. (Sorry, bad pun) 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:49 AM, Rob Person said:

Any updates? I've noticed quite a few members mention the LagShot recently, and I'm sure more will be coming as the season moves into full swing. (Sorry, bad pun) 😆 

I have one as well, I tend to rush my downswing/transition. I don't use it in the winter as I occasionally shank one and that doesn't go well in the narrow sim 😬

That said, if tempo is an issue in your swing it will likely help

WITB: 

Driver: Taylormade M5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-X

3&5 Wood: Taylormade M5 - Hzrds Smoke Black 60X

4-PW: 2011 Taylormade MC, 1/4" long, 2deg up, KBS 120g TourX

50,54,58 - Taylormade MG, Kbs Tour S

Putter - Tour Edge Wingman 03 - Face balanced, Armlock w/ 2x Superstore 5.0