Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bought a New Shaft, How To Prep for Play

I have a new driver shaft coming early next week and I'm really excited to build my first club. It is a graphite design tour VF brand new and uncut. I know how to install the tip and how to do a grip on it. I was curious if I need to do any trimming butt or tip to get it ready. I saw on the website that GD doesn't recommend tipping their driver shafts so that would mean leaving the tip alone I believe. But do I trim 1/2" to an 1" off the butt to make it my playing length? I actually prefer a little longer driver shaft so could I play it in the 46" off the van length?

thanks for the help!

Driver: PXG Blackops 9* Graphite Design Tour VF 5x

Woods: Ping G425LST 3wd 14.5* tour VF 6x  Titleist TSI2 5wd 18* ventus blk 7X

3h: Titleist TS3 19*

5h: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 23*

Irons: P790 6-PW 

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM9  

Putter: Lab Mezz 

15 minutes ago, joncoke86 said:

I have a new driver shaft coming early next week and I'm really excited to build my first club. It is a graphite design tour VF brand new and uncut. I know how to install the tip and how to do a grip on it. I was curious if I need to do any trimming butt or tip to get it ready. I saw on the website that GD doesn't recommend tipping their driver shafts so that would mean leaving the tip alone I believe. But do I trim 1/2" to an 1" off the butt to make it my playing length? I actually prefer a little longer driver shaft so could I play it in the 46" off the van length?

thanks for the help!

If they don't recommend tipping their shafts then yes, that would leave the butt to be you spot to trim. I was in the similar situation with my Newton shaft and reached out to them and asked. The said to trim the butt end so the flex stayed true to its stated dot count. 

I am the opposite and prefer a slightly shorter, so I would lean to trimming, but if you have doubts or want to see if it is possible to trim the tip then I would suggest contacting GD. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

17 minutes ago, joncoke86 said:

thanks for the help!

You found the info on tip trimming.  You then butt trim to length.   I don’t know what driver you own, but once you install the adapter and attached to the club it will add 1 to 2 inches to the length.  So a 46” raw shaft will be 47-48” when installed and assembled.  You can look up infor for your specific driver head to see how much length it adds 

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, joncoke86 said:

thanks for the help!

If you have your current driver shaft, you could take it out of the head, put it up against the new shaft (after you install the tip so they both have a proper starting point with both having the same tips), then measure it to the end of the grip, but then back about 1/4" for the grip butt cap. Mark it on the new shaft, cut it, grip it, install in the head and go.

If you only have the one tip and plan to pull it from the current shaft and install on the new shaft, then pull the tip off the old shaft and do your measuring from the bare tip to the end of the grip and take off the 1/4" for the grip butt cap. Then just mark that length on the new shaft, install the tip, cut at the butt mark, install the grip, install in the head and go.

Third thought is to contact GD and ask them how much to trim the butt to get your desired playing length with your particular driver head. They should know those details.

Edited by Shrek74

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

6 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

If you have your current driver shaft, you could take it out of the head, put it up against the new shaft (after you install the tip so they both have a proper starting point with both having the same tips), then measure it to the end of the grip, but then back about 1/4" for the grip butt cap. Mark it on the new shaft, cut it, grip it, install in the head and go.

If you only have the one tip and plan to pull it from the current shaft and install on the new shaft, then pull the tip off the old shaft and do your measuring from the bare tip to the end of the grip and take off the 1/4" for the grip butt cap. Then just mark that length on the new shaft, install the tip, cut at the butt mark, install the grip, install in the head and go.

Third thought is to contact GD and ask them how much to trim the butt to get your desired playing length with your particular driver head. They should know those details.

this seems like the best route to make sure it plays really similar to what I have in there now.

thanks again!

Driver: PXG Blackops 9* Graphite Design Tour VF 5x

Woods: Ping G425LST 3wd 14.5* tour VF 6x  Titleist TSI2 5wd 18* ventus blk 7X

3h: Titleist TS3 19*

5h: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 23*

Irons: P790 6-PW 

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM9  

Putter: Lab Mezz 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

We have a full how to build a golf club guide coming out on the 31st!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)