contradicting fittings for hybrid/fairway woods

Butcherke

I recently had a fitting with the store who sold me my first proper set of irons/wedges and putter. I got fir for them when I got under hdcp 36.

the reason for my second fitting was specifically to extend my current irons with a hybrid and/or fairway wood. the main reason being having a club to get me some more distance on both the fairway/rough and secondly from the tee.
when warming up with 7 iron, it was decided i would need a stiff flex shaft and i got some hybrids to try. My current longest iron is a 5 which i barely use.
during the fitting the attention shifted more to woods as i also mentioned the need for some more distance combined with consistency from the tee box.
in the end the suggestion came to a Callaway Rogue st max 5 wood with stiff flex mitsubishi white 75gr shaft. as i did not feel i was hitting good shots with it, I didn't end up buying it at the end of the session though.

After speaking to someone at the club they recommended me to go to another store which had good fitting experiences.
Getting there the focus went also the the 5 woods with the same model BUT because my club head speed was average between 85-90mph, the guy said i would need a regular shaft as they only give stiff flex shafts to people with club head speed of 93+ mph.

This has been making me doubt what option to go for as i can't get any Callaway charts of which swing speed fits which shaft flex specifically for fairway woods.
the fact i have a stiff flex for my irons checks out perfectly but that should be independent from the shaft flex of the fairway woods if i understood correctly.

Any advice of this?

33 minutes ago, Butcherke said:

This has been making me doubt what option to go for as i can't get any Callaway charts of which swing speed fits which shaft flex specifically for fairway woods.
the fact i have a stiff flex for my irons checks out perfectly but that should be independent from the shaft flex of the fairway woods if i understood correctly.

Any advice of this?

Shaft flex is a made up thing by the shaft manufacturers and only relates to the shaft you are looking at.   Stiff in one shaft could and probably is a different flex than a different shaft.  Callaway has been known to label their shafts stiffer than they really are to appease the ego of male golfers.   

Ideally,  you need to try the shaft and see how it performs

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey cnosil,

thanks for that, The fitting was also awkward as i currently don't own a faiway wood and the fitting was also kind of a lesson on how to swing that kind of club.
it was just confusing that for the exact same club; the rogue st max 5W, they both told me i need a different shaft.

I should probably practive the correct swing somehow and go back and try both version at some later point.

9 minutes ago, Butcherke said:

it was just confusing that for the exact same club; the rogue st max 5W, they both told me i need a different shaft.

Fitters will fit players to different things.  They each have thoughts and preferences.    Unless you can post information from the launch monitors with the various shafts it is hard to tell if one was right and one was wrong. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Butcherke said:

I wouldn't be concerned about having the same flex for both irons and woods.  As @cnosil said, flex really depends on shaft manufacturer and even within models by the same manufacturer.  Stiff in iron shaft does not necessarily mean stiff in wood shaft.  Some fitters will recommend swinging the softest wood flex that you can control, but that isn't always the case.  Some people perform better with a heavier shaft weight which tends to be stiffer flex.   

2 hours ago, Butcherke said:

I should probably practive the correct swing somehow and go back and try both version at some later point.

You don't mention what your results were with each shaft.  The correct option to go for is the one that gives you the best performance for both distance and dispersion.  

I'm also curious why the 5W was selected; Callaway has great woods IMO (I have 3W, HeavenWood, and 9W).  I don't know what other long clubs you have in your bag; I assume driver, but then you mention that your longest iron is a 5-iron and you never use it.  Even with a 5W, it would seem that a hybrid or another FW would be a good choice.  Why did both fitters settle on only a 5W?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I wouldn't be concerned about having the same flex for both irons and woods.  As @cnosil said, flex really depends on shaft manufacturer and even within models by the same manufacturer.  Stiff in iron shaft does not necessarily mean stiff in wood shaft.  Some fitters will recommend swinging the softest wood flex that you can control, but that isn't always the case.  Some people perform better with a heavier shaft weight which tends to be stiffer flex.   

You don't mention what your results were with each shaft.  The correct option to go for is the one that gives you the best performance for both distance and dispersion.  

I'm also curious why the 5W was selected; Callaway has great woods IMO (I have 3W, HeavenWood, and 9W).  I don't know what other long clubs you have in your bag; I assume driver, but then you mention that your longest iron is a 5-iron and you never use it.  Even with a 5W, it would seem that a hybrid or another FW would be a good choice.  Why did both fitters settle on only a 5W?

I currently don't own anything longer then my irons. No hybrids woods or driver.

The fact I would have a different flex in the new clubs compared to my irons indeed doesn't bother me.

The second fitting I started with the stiff 5w and later tried the regular. The regular performed better in distance and dispersion but that could have also been because the fitter was giving me pointers of how to use the woods as I was hitting. I didn't get the stiff one again during the session.

I went to the fittings with the info I wanted to extend my bag with 1 or 2 clubs. The fact I'm not that consistent in my swing yet had them tell me it is probably too soon for a driver or 3w.

2 hours ago, Butcherke said:

The regular performed better in distance and dispersion 

I personally would dial in on what you said here. 

If you felt more comfortable in a regular shaft, hit the regular shaft.  

I agree with the other comments, it's hard to give advice without any data but it sounds like the regular shaft hit well for you.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Welcome to the site!

Do you have other places to demo clubs at nearby? Or Maybe go back in a week or 2 (not for a fitting) and ask them to demo a few clubs, tell them you want to try different 5 woods in regular flex. Most places can adjust the loft/lie/shot bias in a minutes time. Another option is to attend a demo day for free.

If you are set on the brand of club, then you have already narrowed your options.

Also, have you considered a driving iron?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I personally would dial in on what you said here. 

If you felt more comfortable in a regular shaft, hit the regular shaft.  

I agree with the other comments, it's hard to give advice without any data but it sounds like the regular shaft hit well for you.

that's the feeling i had too. 

the data of the simulator used during the fitting session are not shared or given to the customers.

56 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Welcome to the site!

Do you have other places to demo clubs at nearby? Or Maybe go back in a week or 2 (not for a fitting) and ask them to demo a few clubs, tell them you want to try different 5 woods in regular flex. Most places can adjust the loft/lie/shot bias in a minutes time. Another option is to attend a demo day for free.

If you are set on the brand of club, then you have already narrowed your options.

Also, have you considered a driving iron?

I do have some stores nearby. I just don't know how keen they are to me just walking in and testing some clubs.
i'm from Europe so golf store are unfortunately not as abundant and big as US golf stores.

I'm not specific in brand but as i have the feeling i'm not good enough yet to really feel a big difference between clubs as i don't get good hits consistently.
therefor i have been looking at the rogue st max clubs as those are the irons i currently have.

i haven't looked at a driving iron but i seem to remember once seeing that is more for experienced player, which i definitely am not 🙂

4 hours ago, Butcherke said:

I currently don't own anything longer then my irons. No hybrids woods or driver.

The fact I would have a different flex in the new clubs compared to my irons indeed doesn't bother me.

The second fitting I started with the stiff 5w and later tried the regular. The regular performed better in distance and dispersion but that could have also been because the fitter was giving me pointers of how to use the woods as I was hitting. I didn't get the stiff one again during the session.

I went to the fittings with the info I wanted to extend my bag with 1 or 2 clubs. The fact I'm not that consistent in my swing yet had them tell me it is probably too soon for a driver or 3w.

At this point with only irons and not hitting anything longer than a 6 iron, my advice for what it's worth is to get a FW (5W is fine) and try out a hybrid that would be in the yardage range of your 5 iron, maybe a 5H but find a club that gives you distance between the 5W and your 6 iron.  You need long clubs, but it also sounds like you need lessons that apply to all clubs.  You can take two options:  get the clubs and learn how to hit them yourself; or take lessons from a teaching pro.  

I do not recommend the first option.  I did that and it took me years to unlearn the bad habits I picked up.  I will always recommend that new golfers see a professional to get started on the right path.  I started with a 2W and a 4W with my first iron being a 5 iron, but that was before hybrids were popular.  Once I fixed by swing, woods became my favorite and I love my driver.  Best of luck... this a journey that we have all been down.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

33 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

At this point with only irons and not hitting anything longer than a 6 iron, my advice for what it's worth is to get a FW (5W is fine) and try out a hybrid that would be in the yardage range of your 5 iron, maybe a 5H but find a club that gives you distance between the 5W and your 6 iron.  You need long clubs, but it also sounds like you need lessons that apply to all clubs.  You can take two options:  get the clubs and learn how to hit them yourself; or take lessons from a teaching pro.  

I do not recommend the first option.  I did that and it took me years to unlearn the bad habits I picked up.  I will always recommend that new golfers see a professional to get started on the right path.  I started with a 2W and a 4W with my first iron being a 5 iron, but that was before hybrids were popular.  Once I fixed by swing, woods became my favorite and I love my driver.  Best of luck... this a journey that we have all been down.

Thank you for that. It is indeed what I have also considered and a combination of both.

Getting the regular flex 5w and get some lessons for both the irons and the new wood. 

I do want to increase the confidence with the 5 iron but even if I get better with that club, the 5w should still get further when hitting it properly I assume.

1 hour ago, Butcherke said:

the data of the simulator used during the fitting session are not shared or given to the customers.

This would be a reason for me not to trust that fitting.   Fitting sessions are a dialog about how you are hitting and what you are feeling that corresponds to what the fitter sees.   Part of that is sharing and discussing the actual data.  

3 minutes ago, Butcherke said:

I do want to increase the confidence with the 5 iron but even if I get better with that club, the 5w should still get further when hitting it properly I assume.

Possibly/probably.   Distances are based on how fast you swing the club.  Slower swing players  have less distance between clubs so a 5w and 5 iron may not be that far apart.   It also comes down to how well players hit irons vs woods.   Player pick clubs becuase they fill distance gaps which are identified by hitting the clubs.  

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This would be a reason for me not to trust that fitting.   Fitting sessions are a dialog about how you are hitting and what you are feeling that corresponds to what the fitter sees.   Part of that is sharing and discussing the actual data.  

Possibly/probably.   Distances are based on how fast you swing the club.  Slower swing players  have less distance between clubs so a 5w and 5 iron may not be that far apart.   It also comes down to how well players hit irons vs woods.   Player pick clubs becuase they fill distance gaps which are identified by hitting the clubs.  

With shared I meant I could take the data home. At the second store I could see all data in the simulator and the averages per club I tried so no issue there. The first store though only showed my last shot.

I do have an above average swing speed according to both fitters as i get my 7 iron to 150-160 yards total. But as said before, the woods distance didn't go over 200 as I was probably not getting the proper swing for it.

7 minutes ago, Butcherke said:

With shared I meant I could take the data home. At the second store I could see all data in the simulator and the averages per club I tried so no issue there. The first store though only showed my last shot.

I do have an above average swing speed according to both fitters as i get my 7 iron to 150-160 yards total. But as said before, the woods distance didn't go over 200 as I was probably not getting the proper swing for it.

Last shot is meaningless, it is about all the shots.  You should take pictures of the data.   

based on those distances I might think a 5 wood would go 210ish.  5 iron would be 180ish 

Like an earlier poster or two said, flex is only relevant to the specific shaft (make/model). On the Mizuno shaft optimizer my top recommendations for irons were two different Nippon shafts in regular flex and a KBS in a stiff.
My swing speed is 90-92. Most men need to put ego away and stop worrying about shaft flex and start paying more attention to greens and fairways hit. Example; my good buddy, a decent golfer who is known to have a bit of an ego, was struggling off the tee with his driver. So the last time we played he hit mine all day (9.0 degree project x black 5.5 flex) and was piping it. During the round he kept saying I’m going to get one of those but in a 10.5 loft and stiff shaft. We all kept asking him why would you get anything different than mine. It’s the best he’s ever hit the driver. Hell, I’m glad we weren’t gambling that day. I later talked to him and he said he had ordered a driver like mine. About six weeks later we go play and he has the new driver. Yep, a 10.5 head and a different brand stiff shaft (one I know to play on the boardy side of stiff). He hasn’t seen a fairway since. 
At under 90 mph, unless you’re a really strong loader, regular flex is normally going to be plenty. Lots of mediocre fitters out there, find a good one.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad

• 1 month later...

Don't be afraid of a modern driving iron.  I have a 2018 version of Mizuno MMC 18 driving iron, 18 degree, it is my rescue punch club as well as off the tee on 2 or 3 holes per round.  Definitely take lessons first if you aren't sure which to do first.  Getting fit for a swing, with faults that can be fixed with a few lessons, is a waste.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

A 7w might be a good play for OP too. my longest iron is a 6, then the 7w, it's good for 190-210, fits my bag for gapping very well.

we got a pool and a pond... the pond would be good for you

On 1/30/2024 at 3:07 PM, Cshane12 said:

Like an earlier poster or two said, flex is only relevant to the specific shaft (make/model). On the Mizuno shaft optimizer my top recommendations for irons were two different Nippon shafts in regular flex and a KBS in a stiff.
My swing speed is 90-92. Most men need to put ego away and stop worrying about shaft flex and start paying more attention to greens and fairways hit. Example; my good buddy, a decent golfer who is known to have a bit of an ego, was struggling off the tee with his driver. So the last time we played he hit mine all day (9.0 degree project x black 5.5 flex) and was piping it. During the round he kept saying I’m going to get one of those but in a 10.5 loft and stiff shaft. We all kept asking him why would you get anything different than mine. It’s the best he’s ever hit the driver. Hell, I’m glad we weren’t gambling that day. I later talked to him and he said he had ordered a driver like mine. About six weeks later we go play and he has the new driver. Yep, a 10.5 head and a different brand stiff shaft (one I know to play on the boardy side of stiff). He hasn’t seen a fairway since. 
At under 90 mph, unless you’re a really strong loader, regular flex is normally going to be plenty. Lots of mediocre fitters out there, find a good one.

what a sad story

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 1/30/2024 at 6:07 PM, Cshane12 said:

Not true. There is no flex standards so saying a certain flex is going to be plenty isn’t accurate.

There are regular flex iron shafts that measure 3-4 flex points above what they are stamped.

Weight of the shaft and the stiffness profile are far more important than what’s stamped on a shaft.

Linking to a post I made on this very subject earlier today.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ricky Bobby I agree. Even stated an example earlier in my post where I was recommended to a stiff in a certain shaft, but generally regular flex was the where I lived. In general under 90mph swing speeds will (normally) fit into a regular flex. I ended the post with the suggestion to find a good fitter.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad