Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

2 hours ago, Erin B said:

The Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X final test write up.

Hello MSG Troops and fellow golfers. This is my ball test of the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X balls. This is my first test ever for MGS and I feel fortunate that I was selected to test these versions of the Callaway golf balls. I’ve been a member of MGS for under a year so believe me, this is a big responsibility. But just because I'm new doesn’t mean I haven’t been active. I have done some informal testing and review of several golf related products on MGS to include New Level irons and Newton graphite shafts. I have also run some polls on the forum, so I am learning my way around MGS.

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYTAuZ2lwaHkuY29tL21lZGlhL3YxLlkybGtQVGM1TUdJM05qRXhNWFZxZVd0Mk1XWjNkMjFoWm5ScWJXazJZ-jlwYm5SbGNtNWhiRjluYVdaZllubGZhV1FtWTNROVp3L2wzOTZHTEhTSDht.gif.689807ee9687fe274f66df3455d24632.gif

A little about myself and my golf experience. I picked up golf when I joined the U.S. Air Force. I immediately fell in love. I never had the opportunity to play golf in my youth, my dad said a golf course is just wasted pastureland. I was raised on farms and ranches, so land was viewed differently and sports, well, that was football. I did convince him to let me run track; to prepare for football. Back to the point, I played my first round of golf at Kirtland AFB NM, and I was hooked! That was in 1994 and I haven’t looked back. I now play on the Veteran Golfers Association tour, local tournaments, and recreationally in Cheyenne WY where I reside.

Most of my golf career I have played the Titleist family of golf balls, but a couple of years ago I started playing OnCore. I decided to give them a try because of Josh Allen. He is a hero here in Wyoming and a spokesperson for OnCore. So, I figured why not? I have played OnCore for almost 3 years but have slowly become dissatisfied. I just was not getting the results with them that I once was, but I’ve never had a let-down with Titleist, so I was leaning on going back to Titleist. Then I was selected to test these new Callaway golf balls. So, let's see where the Callaway’s shake out.

Let’s talk about my game. I have a steeper swing than most golfers, I learned to play irons only and played that way for a couple of years. I was taught to pinch the ball, hitting it first before the turf. Then I learned how to hit the woods and driver. My drive is around 260 now that I am older with a ball speed of about 150. I hit my 7 iron about 170 with an average ball speed of 115mph. The weakest part of my game is getting off the tee, and my strongest part is my short game. I also scramble very well. I am hitting a Ping 410 LST driver with a stiff Steadfast shaft, I carry the TaylorMade BRNR mini in stiff (A MUST HAVE CLUB), Titleist PT 17 steel shaft, New Level 902 PD irons in Project X IO Xstiff shafts, PXG wedges, and PXG Bat Attack putter.

There you have it, a little info about me. With that, let the carnage begin! Drum Roll Please...

The Arrival😀

Callawayunbox.jpg.a650f8a0273bda49668689f0636a7037.jpg

The next thing was to get measurements…

Callawaymeasure1.jpg.594d8e015cf2e0338ab33fc3becf4113.jpg

Then on to the scales…

Callawayweighin1.jpg.4badb9e39514c110727a7777a112cfbc.jpg

These ladies did not complain at all about the measurement/weigh in and I was pleasantly surprised that I received no back and forth about it. The balls were all the same weight and measurement. I don’t have a durometer so I couldn’t measure the hardness.

If you recall I received both the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X models. Every ball was equal except for the labeling designating them as Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X and were numbered either with a 1 or a 4. I was only given six balls of each flavor.

The balls retail on the Callaway website for $54.99 and from Callaway you can personalize them with three lines of text with 8 color choices. You can also get them in the Triple Track version or the clean version.

First impressions (9/10)🧐

CallawayCTX.jpg.53ee53bbb9efa1444804fb22d71649ea.jpg

First impressions were that they remind me of every other Callaway Triple Track golf ball. I am neither here nor there with aiming aids. The ball felt like a higher end golf ball so I decided to inspect them and found no blemishes, no warts, no scars on them which tells me Callaway golf balls go through a pretty good quality assurance review.

These balls look great. They had no imperfections so the only thing I can complain about is the Triple Track itself. Not much of a complaint, I can take or leave it. Not much more to say about that.

Aesthetics (9/10)🤓

I like the Callaway logo and lettering. It is clean and represents Callaway and their attention to detail. Again, the QA on these balls is outstanding.

The Numbers👽

unnamed.gif.708c02960e592d6c16b6b80c2416af35.gif

This is where the Chrome Tour and the Chrome Tour X separate themselves. Both balls felt firmer than the OnCore Vero X1/X2 and the Titleist Pro V1/1X/1X Left Dash balls. Both balls were hit in the sim and I saw some interesting numbers. The Chrome Tour ball felt heavy compared to the Chrome Tour X. What I mean by that is the Chrome Tour didn’t feel very lively. The Chrome Tour X felt like it jumped off the face and that feeling resonated with every club except the putter. Both balls felt the same when putting. The balls were more even on the course though, so take the sim with a grain of salt.

With a 7 iron I generated an average of 6200RPM with the Chrome Tour while I averaged 5800RPM with the Chrome Tour X. That affected the distance. The Chrome Tour X was longer by 15 yards with a 7 iron. This changed on the course. The balls were much closer in distance in real play. I hit the Chrome Tour 185 with a 6 iron (pin high and it held) on a par 3, I hit the Chrome Tour X 190 (over the green, on the fringe but it held there) with the same 6 iron. There were some times when I hit the X a little farther, but I think those were outside the norm. For instance, I was 245 on my second shot into a par 5 and I wanted to see how the long iron handled the ball. I hit the Chrome Tour X 236 with a 4 iron. I had to use a 17-degree fairway wood to get that with the Chrome Tour. Again, not a big deal, I think I pured the 4 iron.

Callaway Chrome Tour (16 / 20)

Callaway Chrome Tour X (18 / 20)

On The Course🤠

flagblowing.jpg.a9ca5f9cf5952253d176618a96d65271.jpg

I found both balls to feel good off the tee and in the fairway. The Chrome Tour was not as long as the Chrome Tour X but was closer than I thought. The sim did not do the Chrome Tour justice. I started to like it on the course. Not as much as the Chrome Tour X, but more than I thought I would based on sim numbers. Both balls were exceptional around the greens.

Driver💪

CallawayBallanddriver.jpg.fd81e395cd9d14a0d44e0f428a751935.jpg

Callaway Chrome Tour: This ball was less than what I get out of the Titleist and OnCore balls. I was not as impressed with the Chrome Tour off the tee as I was with the Chrome Tour X. Recall what I said about the Chrome Tour being heavy in the sim? Well on the course the ball seemed a bit livelier. Not as long, had more spin than the Chrome Tour X, but it was pretty good; pretty darn good!

Callaway Chrome Tour X: This ball played very similar to the Titleist Pro V1X and OnCore Vero X2. It did feel a little firmer than the above mentioned but I didn’t mind too much. It felt like the ball jumped off the clubface in the sim. This same feeling was noticed on the course. This ball can go KABOOM!!!

Irons🏋️‍♂️

CannonShot.jpg.be1e158122af77d901fe21d2fc4a6637.jpg

Callaway Chrome Tour: The ball felt better in real play. In the sim I didn’t like the spin; I didn’t like the feel at impact. That all changed on the course. The ball felt good. Like REAL GOOD, and it didn't disappoint on approach to the green. (Yeah, I have a warm fuzzy for this ball now.)

Callaway Chrome Tour X: The ball fired off the clubface and it felt like it was going to go forever. I love the way this ball feels off the irons. Approach shots were good as well. 

Both balls had good flight off the clubs. I really didn’t notice much difference in ball flight. Both balls handled the wind, but the Chrome Tour X was better in the wind. I think it's because it has a lower spin rate for me. I felt that I was getting the same spin on the course that I saw in the sim. The wind was high on this day, and I am glad it was. It gave me a good test.

Chrome Tour (17 /20) 

Chrome Tour X (19 / 20)

Wedges / Putting🏒

100yardshot.jpg.1eb7d8a5b736e4a517ce1c884ce2a72f.jpg

Wedges🙈

Both balls felt very similar in the short game. I didn’t see much of a difference in distance from 100 yards. What I did see was a lot of ball checking. The guy I was playing with was in disbelief on how both balls checked. The Chrome Tour had a bit more spin, but both held the green. Low or high shots still generated spin. 

Putting🤬

Both balls felt firmer than what I am used to in the OnCore and Titleist flagship balls. Both balls felt hotter off the face of the putter and if I game them I would have to adjust a bit. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just different for my putting stroke. This showed its ugly head on the course. I was two putting all day. made 1 ten-foot putt but most every putt was long. I still don't think that's going to be a huge issue for me, it is winter golf, but these balls are firm.

On The Course🏞️

golf2.jpg.2029544f7fb57e1f7dd0d318ee2ef5bc.jpg

Chrome Tour (7 / 10) Distance is the mark down here. The ball played well, just not as long as I am used to.

Chrome Tour X (9 / 10) I was bombing this ball. Even in the wind! The ball just flies! That coupled with the fact that it holds greens almost as well as it's sister, well, I'm buying not selling.

The Good, the bad, the in-between

Callaway Chrome Tour (7 / 10) On a shorter course I would play this ball. The sim lied to me darn it, it LIED! It isn't the red headed stepchild of the Callaway line up. It's pretty good.

Callaway Chrome Tour X (9 / 10) Ok, ok, ok, I am buying these. Distance is not as long as my gamer, but it's not too far off. This being winter golf I think these are going to play even better. I really like them.

Play it or trade it🤔

Callaway Chrome Tour (15 / 20) I wouldn't turn them down, but I'd buy the X's over these. I did not like this ball in the sim, I like this ball on the course. I would play this ball on courses around 6500 yards or shorter. It plays better outdoors than in the sim.

Callaway Chrome Tour X (18 / 20) Get ready pro shops, department stores, and Callaway website, I will buy these thank you! I really like this ball. I like the feel and the liveliness. It is staying in the bag and being played. Will I buy them over the OnCore? Yep, most definitely, but will I buy them over Titleist? That depends if the store has these Callaway or Titleist, and what the price is. If I am saving $10 dollars over the Titleist, then the answer is yes.

In conclusion😬

I like the Chrome Tour X more than I do the Chrome Tour. I will buy the X over the Tour but that doesn't mean the Tour is a slouch, just that the X fits me better. I think Callaway hit a home run with the X. I would buy it over my current player, the OnCore Vero X2 and it competes with the Pro V1 family. The most impressive thing both balls do is hold the green. I was in awe by how both balls checked up. Especially on hard winter greens. I haven't seen this type of performance in a firm golf ball in like, ever. If you like Callaway balls, these are a must. If you are looking for a better ball than your gamer, give these balls a shot. You want lower spin, go with the Chrome Tour X. If you are looking for more spin, then the Chrome Tour may be your new ball.

Final Score🥴

Chrome Tour (80 / 100)

Chrome Tour X (91 / 100)

Thanks again for this opportunity MGS and thank you MGS Troops and golfers for reading! Happy Birdie Hunting!

Great review and lots of interesting observations and findings. I've not been able to play these on course yet, just the sim, so now I want to get on the course even more! ha ha.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Another 15 holes with the Chrome Tour today. Ran out of daylight. 24 holes with the same ball. Ball is performing well. Would say it’s in the same distance and trajectory category as the ProV1. Feels softer off of the putter. Maybe a little less wedge spin. ⛳

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

Great review and lots of interesting observations and findings. I've not been able to play these on course yet, just the sim, so now I want to get on the course even more! ha ha.

Yeah, I was surprised! Not surprised by the X except that it held greens, but by the Chrome Tour. I got meh numbers on the sim but they didn’t translate on the course. I even used another golfer to verify my numbers in the sim and we both saw the same. I was most impressed by the way these balls play. They are a well rounded ball.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H, 4H, 5H 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

And thank you for the kind words!

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

On 2/23/2024 at 8:46 AM, JRDuck40 said:

Full outdoor testing with the Chrome X

Little warm up video. 

Overall, conditions were ideal for a day in late February for Wisconsin. We are usually under 2 feet of snow and temps in the teens if not below zero. This was a treat so I was 100% fine burning a vacation day to get out and do some testing. IMG_4325.jpeg.66eff4c83eb3baa5358857d236c7df32.jpeg

Onto the first hole. Par 4 - 325 slight dogleg left. Hit 5 wood to 90 yards and change left to hole. 

IMG_4327.jpeg.28a8dcf6bedb9b1aca816150a52d4acf.jpeg

YES that IS snow to the left of the green. It's February in WI people. We're lucky to be outside. Let along being able to play. 

Ended up lipping out the 10 ft bird. Onward and upward. 

2nd hole - Par 5 - 515 yards. 

Pulled the drive off to the left hand side and clipped a branch. After a punch 4i to 145 yards, here is the approach with my 7i. First shot was with the Sirxon, second with the Callaway. 

Hitting the approach into the 2nd. 145, wind coming left to right. Hitting a knocked down 7i to keep it out of the wind. 

Ended up making par with both the Sirxon and Callawy. Chrome ended up spinning back around 10 to 12 feet again. 

3rd hole - Par 3, 157. Slightly downhill with wind directly into our face.  Hit 7i to around 25 feet and made the bird! Boom!!!

Onto the 4th. Longer par 5, 535 with trouble on both sides. OB right with a FW bunker that is driveable. Water left of fairway. Here's the tee shot. 

After hitting 5wood. I had around 70 yards to the middle of the green. Pin was front middle, total yardage of the shot was around 50-52 yards. (I know, I know.. I don't have a laser for this round. Only using my Garmin for yardage). 

Both my current gamer, Z Star XV and Callaway checked up nicely, the Callaway did stick and stop, versus the Z releasing out. All in all, I'm quite impressed by the Callaways. New few holes it was a little too soggy to take vid. Par 4 - 5th. Dogleg right with the green uphill. Hit 3 wood to the right and needed to punch it uphill. Ended up hitting a small branch and the cover on the Callaway held up! This was not true with ANY prior version of the Chrome family that I played prior. That ball would've been in the 5 gallon bucket of death in my garage at the end of the round. 

IMG_4340.jpeg.4f43f876c8998cdbce1542c85caf0c20.jpeg

On the par 4 6th, Hit driver - 5 iron. Ended up getting up and down for a par. The Chrome performed great on the greenside again. Slight chip downhill and the ball checked up and stopped around 12 feet. 

7th hole - Par 3 - 170. Hit 6i into left side of green. Ended up 3 putting and making bogey. 
One criticism of the Chrome at this point. The ball is almost too soft for it's own good for putting. Anything downhill, it was tough to get a good feel for it. If I played this for a few weeks and got some additional practice sessions on the greens in, I'm sure I would make it work, but that's just one thing I'm noticing by this point. 

Onto the par 4 8th - 390 slight dogleg left. Hit driver then 9i. I'm seeing some slight gains on distance vs the Z Star, but it's too cold / early in the year to tell. I will be doing some additional driver testing next week on the sim. (Stay tuned!)

IMG_4350.jpeg.ce6022709f54a7eae973ac08af9f0f9d.jpeg

Went 9i and was not able to get in for par. Onward to the 9th. 

Par 4, 395 to finish the front 9. 

Hit driver with 120 left to front of green. 

Ended up leaving my 9 very short and ended up with a 40 total for the front. All in all, I was quite impressed by the Chrome. I put the ball through the ringer. I did not use more than 1 Callaway and one of my Sirxon's for the entire front and both held up quite well. The updated cover on the Callaway was light years better than the prior gen. 

Some points of interest.... 

1 - Spin rate. The Chrome X is a spin machine. Buyer beware. 

2 - Sound off of fairway metal. Not a big fan. I let one of the guys in our group hit one a few times and it sounded very 'dead' off of his Ping G425 Max. Same went for the sound and feel off of my TSR2. Not something that deter me away from playing them, jut a nit pick thing that caught my attention. 

3 - Cover. Holy crap was this impressive. After all the things I put that ball through, it held up. And held up all day long. I played the X all 18 holes and it is still a playable ball afterwards. Not something I can always say about my XV's, older AVXs or even the Maxfli Tour X that i recently picked up late last year. 

4 - Putting. This was a concern and still is. The ball is almost too soft to a fault on and around the green. For chipping, it sticks. Which is good. For putting, it almost feels like hitting a 'bouncy ball'. Very springy off of my Scotty Cam GoLo S. If i spent a little more time on the putting green before the round, I'm sure I would've gotten a better feel for the ball, but nonetheless, it was tough to gauge speed on the green with the X. 

VS the Sirxon Z Star XV - 16.5 out of 20 - Chrome X / 18.5 Z Star 

For distance, spin, iron feel and cover durability, the Chrome X was great compared to my Z Star. Where it feel a bit short for me was putting, Driver / FW Metals feel and sound.  It was a big difference in feel and it was difficult to get used to the softer feel of the Chrome vs XV. Epically off the tee and putting. 

On The Course - 17.5 out of 20 

For overall performance. The Callaway did admirably. On cover performance alone, it was stupid good. Hit a few branches and the ball damn near did not have a scratch on it.  

Iron play, it felt great. It was quite possibly the closet ball to a ProV1x that I've ever hit. I honestly prefer the ProV, but Titlesit priced themselves out of the market when they charge nearly $60 a dozen IMO.... Back the Chrome. It very much felt good off the face and performed as good as the Z Star. The approach on the par 4, 15th I had around 120 uphill with wind at my back. Hit a PW to 10 feet and stuck it.  Loved the feel and performance. 

Driver / Fairway metals - This is where I wasn't all that big on the Chrome X. Because of all the spin, it did have a tendency to get sideways. My typical ball flight it a slight fade and lower flight. While the Callaway did go a little further, it also had a tendency to get a little too high for my liking. 

Tee shot on the par 11th. 

It was one of the better drives of the day, but the sound was not what I am accustomed to. Still, beggars can't be choosers and this was a great shot. 

Greenside / chipping. They stick. That's all I can say about it. They just hit, stick, stop and back the F%$# up. I was shocked by the stopping power. If you have a tendency to need more feel / spin around the green, 30 yards and in, these babies just stop. 

Putting - Like i said previously, they almost have a dead feel / too soft of a feel for me. That's where they lost me. 

Overall, this test gave me a big insight into where Callaway is going with their new ball lineup. And the finial word is up. Way the heck up. This test defiantly put Callaway back in the mix for purchasing balls in the future. Before, I would not even consider them for replacing my current setup. Now, they have a legit shot. Just don't go all Titlesit and charge $60 a dozen. 
Good - Spin, Iron Play, Greenside, Cover, Feel on wedges. 
Ok - Long iron shots and feel off of hybrid

Bad - Putting and sound off of Driver / Fairway metal. 

Overall score / performance score - 16.5 / 20

Fantastic job!!!

2 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

I have updated the above post with the driver data from the most recent testing (Tour X, TP5, ProV1x, BX-S). The results surprised me- the Tour X is very close to the Tour with the driver.

Wish I could test out both balls on course tomorrow, but the weather defeated me this weekend. So after tomorrow's sim session data is available I'll draw my conclusions and then test on course when I can.

Pretty impressed by the improvements Callaway have made with these balls!

Seems to be very small differences between the 2 balls. Being that the X has abit more check and spin on the greens.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

10 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Seems to be very small differences between the 2 balls. Being that the X has abit more check and spin on the greens.

Yes, smaller differences than I’d expected to see. I’ll see what the wedge and iron numbers show next and I’m hoping that’s where I’ll see more difference. 
On the course is what I really want/ need to test next! I keep reading how much they spin on the greens and I can’t wait to test that out myself. 

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I found the Chrome Tour to have a bit more spin, especially around the green. Both do have stopping power on the green’s though. And both are hot off the putter.

FINAL REVIEW:  Callaway white box testing

First Impressions:

Upon unboxing, the balls were in a nondescript white box with unmarked white sleeve boxes inside.  There were two sleeves each of Chrome Tour ( CT) and Chrome Tour X   ( CTX) balls.  Packaging was obviously normal Callaway packaging with no markings, keeping the identity of the balls hidden until opened.  Score: 10/10

Aesthetics:

T(he balls are a bright white, with the red/blue triple track alignment markings.  The markings are very sharp, and stand out well against the white cover.  The balls present a very nice, appealing look that has a high quality look.  Score:  10/10

Numbers:

While I don't do SIM testing, only going by feel, performance, shot shape, etc. , I was able to determine that these balls are comparable to their intended competition and market in the high end of golf balls.  They spin quite well, have a firmer feel, and play as well as others in this area of balls.  Score:  18/20

On the course:

Off the tee:

I found both models to be very responsive off the tee, but noted that the CTX had a lower flight, and tended to bore through the wind; as on two separate occasions, when hit into the wind, the CT tended to upshoot , while CTX did not have a loss of distance due to the low flight and roll.  Both balls had good distance off the tee, with the CTX consistently being the longer of the two, comparing  favorably with the Pro Vs and AVXs that I play.

Approach:  I found this area to be one where the CTX really excelled, especially on fairway woods/ hybrid shots into the green due to the added roll. Longer irons also benefited from this, although not as much.  I did find that with both balls, I could flight them lower into the wind to keep them on track and not be affected much by the wind.  It was also helpful to be able to do this on the occasion that I played a really wet course, and was able to get the ball to hydroplane  and still get distance rather than fly high and stick and cone up short.

Flight:

As I have alluded to previously, the CT flew higher for me than the CTX.  Neither flight was detrimental but the CT would stop more quickly on normal shots.  I just had to adjust to the roll from the lower flight of the CTX to get the same result.  

Around the green:

Both balls reacted well on chips, pitches and bunker shots, and after I got used to the firmness of the balls, they reacted just as other balls with roll and stopping ability. The spin coming out of a bunker was very nice, and I was able to get it reasonably close to be able get up and down.  The roll once the ball was on the green was true, holding the line well.

Putting:

As with chipping, the firmness took a bit to get used to, but once solved, the putts ran true, holding lines very well.  I found the triple track to be useful in aiming, just as it is intended, but no different than other balls with single lines.  The putting feel was very good, but the balls were not as soft feeling as, say, a Titleist.  Not a huge detriment.

Factors I liked or disliked:

The response of the balls off the club was very good, and I found the spin to go both ways:  for stopping and roll out as mentioned, it can be very useful, but if it gets in the wind, it will tend to balloon/fade/draw a little more than you want.  The firmness for me is a little off putting, but not so much that I wouldn't play them.  Otherwise, the overall look, feel and performance were very good.

Did it help improve:

Not so I noticed, but it did not hurt performance either, as I scored pretty much the same with these balls.    Total Score: CTX 18/20, CT16/20

Good, bad and in between:

As previously mentioned, the flight of the ball, spin, roll out, responsiveness were all good features.  I also found the ability to move the ball either right or left was very good, and the durability of the balls were excellent, as I got 63 holes in on the CTX, and 45 on the CT.

The only negative I came up with, but it happens to all balls, is that I was able to scuff both models with a sand wedge.  Both scuffed noticeably, but not enough to have any effect on play.          Score:  18/20

Play or Trade:

I found these to be a good alternative to me for my Titlelists - this version of Callaway balls is much better than models I have played in the past.  I could play them, but for now, I will stay where I am.       Score:  19/20

Conclusions:

I liked the CTX better of the two, based on the better distance and roll.  I felt I could control the CTX better, and obtain better results with it, although there isn't all that much difference in the two performance wise as is noted in my scores above where the only difference was the on course play.

Final score:  Chrome Tour 91/100, Chrome Tour X 93/100

All photos from the testing follow.  Thanks again for the opportunity!

IMG_20240211_112633.jpg

IMG_20240218_105532.jpg

IMG_20240225_103743.jpg

IMG_20240211_112900.jpg

IMG_20240225_103807.jpg

IMG_20240225_103841.jpg

IMG_20240218_105506.jpg

IMG_20240211_112532.jpg

IMG_20240218_105521.jpg

IMG_20240211_112544.jpg

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

On course testing: 

Today I took the new balls out on UNC Finley. I have had the chance to test them outdoors before, but today was consistently windy and these are easily the highest quality greens I have had the opportunity to use them on so far. I was playing in a threesome, so I didn't play two balls each hole this time, but I did try to make sure I used both for an equal number of par threes and approximately the same number of shots into the wind and with the wind for comparison. Today it was approximately 50* and the wind was around 10 miles an hour the entire day. 

Off the tee: The Chrome Tour X is a monster for me, no doubt about it. The ball feels like it's going a long way each time I hit it. On shots into the wind, I would say I lost around 15 yards. This is slightly better than I typically expect with a stiff wind coming in, so I  was happy with this. I felt like the ball resisted ballooning up and maintained the same trajectory throughout the wind, around 100 foot apex with a penetrating trajectory. The Chrome Tour performed well, too, though it continues to lack the pop that I get from the Chrome Tour X. In general, the ball remained around 5 yards shorter on the day, though the fairways were very soft and this difference may have been greater with firmer conditions. 

Approach: The Chrome Tour feels incredible off of irons. It is super soft and has a pleasing flight. I find a lot less difference in stopping power and distance with irons on-course, so advantage chrome tour here. Both balls landed soft and stopped quickly. I would say both balls were around a club shorter into the wind, which is around average for me in the wind conditions. So no major gains here, but I played my previous ball for wind performance so I'm happy with that result. 

Around the green: Though the Chrome Tour was softer, the Chrome Tour X stopped far quicker on equivalent contact. Though the fairways were soft, the greens were extremely hard and firm and it was important to be able to spin short shots around the green. I was pleased to see how well I was able to stop the Chrome Tour X on tougher greens today when I needed to. 

Putting: The Chrome Tour was nicer to putt with, soles because of its feel. In terms of actual performance, both balls rolled true. The triple track holds up well, though this is another feature I used on my previous ball so I am a fan of how it looks. 

Overall thoughts: the Chrome Tour X is still the ball for me, and I think it is an on-course upgrade for me. Though the differences can be harder to tease out on normal greens, the difference from the previous generation stood out on these excellent greens today. I will be making the switch the next time I buy balls. 

Driver: Callaway  Paradym Triple Diamond (8) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

3-Wood: Stealth 2 (15) - HZRDUS Black 6.5

5-wood: Paradym Triple Diamond (18.5) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno T24 Copper (50), Cleveland RTX Zipcore (56,60)

Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Eleven

I cracked one. It was an 8 iron shot. This ball has been hit probably over 300 hundred times in the sim and on the course so I’m impressed. image.jpg.cf37f81dfdd30117ddd449c049897da0.jpg

I don’t know how it held up for that long. It was on the 14th hole too. 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:37 PM, BallsLeon said:

@JRDuck40 the sound off that Ping 1A is crazy, love that!

Great reviews everyone!

It honestly sounded like he was smashing into metal with his Ping. IE ball peen hammer into a 1/4 inch steel. It was crazy loud! That was something that was really throwing me off. Just the feel and sound off of driver / fairway metals was odd. 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo S

Ball - Titleist AVX 

First Impressions

Is there anything better in golf than opening a brand-new box of balls? The possibilities (all good in my mind) are endless. The box of Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X balls didn't disappoint. The balls were clean bright white and the markings, both text and lines, were crisp and clear.

20240209_194522892_iOS.jpg.2f84923734d7a4fbb227c691d7762ff8.jpg

Sound

I immediately took them out to the backyard putting green. The sound of the ball off the putter head was what I expected from a "good" ball. I could tell the difference blind folded between the Tour and the Tour X with the X having more of a distinct click.

20240209_193759432_iOS.jpg.056e3d199f6d7a67a8e83aabf8272c56.jpg

Alignment

My usual ball is a TaylorMade Tour Response or TaylorMade TP5 Pix. Aligning the ball on putts with the Triple Track alignment lines on the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour x was easy but not as easy as with the TaylorMade Tour Response.

20240212_221730479_iOS.jpg.b9a40afc48ed9c020db77880ab9a0821.jpg

Feedback

Feedback on pushed or pulled putts from the TaylorMade Tour Response and TaylorMade TP5 Pix is better than the Triple Track. I wish we had gotten the opportunity to try Callaway's 360 Triple Track or TruTrack on our test balls as I think they would have performed better here.

Simulator

The weather on the Colorado Front Range hasn't been kind to golfers this winter. 75% of our snow has come on Saturdays and the last few weekends fit into that pattern.

20240210_165526392_iOS.jpg.1130f80e65498b68b1a3f3864fee89a3.jpg

So, off to Golf Galaxy I went for a couple of simulator sessions.

20240213_202205396_iOS.jpg.0880ab3cc8cc3d7b599c147d3a9b0d50.jpg

20240213_202905261_iOS.jpg.31bae4202677a0a6b67b78fbd6a421c8.jpg

I struggled with my driver. I blame it on my hip replacement surgery four months ago. However, every other club in my bag performed well, although a bit shorter than normal. I spent most of my time on pitching wedge and 6 iron.

For me with pitching wedge, there was almost no difference between the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X or the TaylorMade Tour Response and TP5 Pix. The spin rates for the X and TP5 were slightly higher but the carry was the same across all four balls.

However, with 6 iron I saw a noticeable difference. On average the Callaway Chrome Tour carried almost 8 yards further than any of the other three balls. I wouldn't have expected that based on what I had read about each ball beforehand.

I'd also like to mention here again that I would have loved to test the TruTrack version of the Callaway Chrome Tour. I like the TaylorMade TP5 Pix, and to some extent the Tour Response, as they give me plenty of spots on the ball to focus on for my iron shots. I think the TruTrack would be similar.

On the Course

As I said above, the weather in Colorado hasn't cooperated and even though it was beautiful out this past weekend, sunny and low 60s, my course still had too much snow on it to play.

Conclusion

The 6 iron yardage gain with the Callaway Chrome Tour makes a compelling case for me to use it, especially the TruTrack or 360 Triple Track versions. Of course, live testing is going to be necessary. I'm heading to Maui this weekend and plan to put both balls into play there. That could change my mind.

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter

Chrome Tour testing

Played 2 rounds with the Callaway Chrome Tour .  Each round consisted of multiple balls.  The golf ball performed pretty well having played all rounds under 80.  It has been somewhat windy here in SW Florida and solid hits went through the wind in your face with a nice ball flight.  The ball responded okay around the greens with decent feel but the stopping power was not what I am looking for. The biggest issue I had was that the ball cut too easily with my wedges. My 64* wedge dug into the ball and they definitely don’t have the durability of a Pro V1.  They cut similar to that of the Chrome Tour X in my previous review. That appears to be the biggest downside of the ball so far. 

8 hours ago, KenRider said:

First Impressions

Is there anything better in golf than opening a brand-new box of balls? The possibilities (all good in my mind) are endless. The box of Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X balls didn't disappoint. The balls were clean bright white and the markings, both text and lines, were crisp and clear.

Sound

I immediately took them out to the backyard putting green. The sound of the ball off the putter head was what I expected from a "good" ball. I could tell the difference blind folded between the Tour and the Tour X with the X having more of a distinct click.

Alignment

My usual ball is a TaylorMade Tour Response or TaylorMade TP5 Pix. Aligning the ball on putts with the Triple Track alignment lines on the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour x was easy but not as easy as with the TaylorMade Tour Response.

Feedback

Feedback on pushed or pulled putts from the TaylorMade Tour Response and TaylorMade TP5 Pix is better than the Triple Track. I wish we had gotten the opportunity to try Callaway's 360 Triple Track or TruTrack on our test balls as I think they would have performed better here.

Simulator

The weather on the Colorado Front Range hasn't been kind to golfers this winter. 75% of our snow has come on Saturdays and the last few weekends fit into that pattern.

I struggled with my driver. I blame it on my hip replacement surgery four months ago. However, every other club in my bag performed well, although a bit shorter than normal. I spent most of my time on pitching wedge and 6 iron.

For me with pitching wedge, there was almost no difference between the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X or the TaylorMade Tour Response and TP5 Pix. The spin rates for the X and TP5 were slightly higher but the carry was the same across all four balls.

However, with 6 iron I saw a noticeable difference. On average the Callaway Chrome Tour carried almost 8 yards further than any of the other three balls. I wouldn't have expected that based on what I had read about each ball beforehand.

I'd also like to mention here again that I would have loved to test the TruTrack version of the Callaway Chrome Tour. I like the TaylorMade TP5 Pix, and to some extent the Tour Response, as they give me plenty of spots on the ball to focus on for my iron shots. I think the TruTrack would be similar.

On the Course

As I said above, the weather in Colorado hasn't cooperated and even though it was beautiful out this past weekend, sunny and low 60s, my course still had too much snow on it to play.

Conclusion

The 6 iron yardage gain with the Callaway Chrome Tour makes a compelling case for me to use it, especially the TruTrack or 360 Triple Track versions. Of course, live testing is going to be necessary. I'm heading to Maui this weekend and plan to put both balls into play there. That could change my mind.

Played in Wellington on Friday at Mountain Vista. The wind was howling, I was going to go to Southridge, but decided the wind would give some better opportunities for testing. I play Pelican Lakes on Friday for the VGA. I’ll be using these balls there. I’m really liking the X. Cheyenne courses aren’t open yet so off to the land of greenies I go! What’s your favorite course around Fort Collins area? I love TPC CO and Highland Meadows. I did get the opportunity to play Saddleback in Firestone, it’s nice as well. Happy Birdie Hunting in Maui!

Ball data averages for driver and 7-iron tests (sim only testing)

I thought I'd share the averages for the test group of balls, ahead of finishing writing my 'final review' (with the huge caveat that it's all indoor testing and I will follow up with outdoor course observations after the weather finally permits good course conditions to test these balls properly),

The results surprised me. Looks like I might be erring towards to wrong type of ball for my swing dynamics. I currently game TP5X most of the time, but this data suggests I should be aiming for the 'higher spin' balls like the new TP5 and the Chrome Tour X! Very impressive showing by both the Chrome Tour and Tour X with the driver. Disappointing Chrome Tour figures for the 7-iron. Maybe it'll be different on the course.

Driver and 7-iron averages sorted by carry distance (saving the wedge data for after another short session, as I had a shocker last couple of sessions with inconsistent strikes):

Shots: At least 100 shots for driver and 150 for 7-iron. Target was 10 per ball, but with 7-iron I repeated some of the 'lower spin' ball shots as a data set available online for the prior full test was incomplete, but updated to include it all a couple of days later. Odd, but there you go.

Color coding: Green rows are 'low spin' balls. Blue rows are 'higher spin' balls.

Driver averages (Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 9* set to 8*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X stock length):

image.png.fc7aeaca8a95e410a6dbf090564281e9.png

Note: Bottom two rows left in for completeness, but these two sets were hit first after warming up, so not really fair on these two balls. May redo those later this week if I have time.

7-iron averages (Taylormade P790, 2019, 30.5* loft, KBS C-Taper Tour Lite X-stiff shaft, stock L/L/L):

image.png.48646e7c4f63d04a4b8023617f6da934.png

7-iron side spin shows I wasn't exactly swinging great or consistently for these sessions. Another iron session might be a good idea at some point and replace more 'bad' shots.

Certainly food for thought for me...

Full final report with scores to follow later this week.

Edited by Indy_Oz
Typos

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

So, how many will take a scuff, or used ball and take it for a spin?  I would not usually think about it, unless the game is a mess and no shots are working.  Since this is a testing period, I decided to use the balls that I used last time and were scuffed/used.  

I can say I was impress that the play was not effected.  Was hitting the ball just about normal distance for in-season, well it was pushing 70 (2/26) where I live in Culpeper.  

On hole 3 (par 5), with the 17th running along side, I typically play from the 17th fairway (over 85% of tee shots).  This time playing with the ball that had a mark since shot one last round, STAYED on the 3 rd hole.  I was holding my lines better than I normally do and this was with the ball from last round.  On holes that I typically have lack of control, I was having better, straighter ball flight!  Don't think I didn't have errant shots, because I did!  Still didn't loose the ball, found every shot that went a stray.

The image was from the previous round of the ball I used this round.

IMG_1190.jpeg

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

Good review @Randall Robbins! I am pleasantly surprised as well how these compare to the ProV series. IMO The CT is a softer feeling version of the ProV1. 
I am not in love with the align, but besides that it held up in all conditions. Played in the wind in FL and it did very well. It’s like a 1A, 1B for the CT vs ProV. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

@KenRider enjoy Maui! The balls hold up really well in the wind. Just played in FL. 
Play the municipal golf course (waiehu). It’s right on the water and walkable. It’s a cheaper round that is worth every penny. 

IMG_5713.jpeg

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

On 2/22/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bohnson said:

Headed to Orlando from Ohio this weekend! Excited to test the balls. 

Emergency trip to test golf balls!!! 😂 Got a lot of trackman data. Need to get em on the course. 

Suggestions on where to play? 

This time of year, every course should be in great shape. Celebration, Mystic Dunes, Harmony, Orange County National, Disney courses. It's crazy busy down here right now. 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

Final thought on Chrome Tour and Tour X

Devoted Sunday to play the X and recovering from a burn did not bode well. As seen in prior on course testing the X was just has too much spin for my game. I hit 36% of my fairways and puked up a solid 89. The wind wasn't bad, but this ball will spin and spin hard! You can certainly rip it off the front of a green if you are not careful. 

To be honest I was super impressed by these balls. The Tour performed as well as any ball I've played in all facets of the game. This is strides ahead of the previous Callaway offerings (XLS was close). The Tour X in the right hands could be a monster. I hit a couple of bombs with it. I did like the firm feel.

If you are allowed the lift, clean and place (like most PGA tour events) The alignment aid for chipping really helps. For putting, it seems a little much. Maybe if the lines were tighter together. 

In closing I would rate the Chrome Tour 9.6/10 very solid choice for any golfer, period!    Chrome Tour X in the right hands (not mine) is possibly the better ball, but for me I'd rate it a 9.3/10     The higher spin made it hard to flight and control for me. Once again Callaway finally has a tour level ball to compete for market share. Is it too late to the game with all the DTC balls grabbing pieces of the pie? That is the question that needs to be answered. For me the answer is yes, they are 5 years too late.  At the $55 USD price point, it could be a tough row to hoe, with Maxfli, Snell, Vice, Seed, Clear and many more balls pulling market share. I believe they are fighting with Titleist for a piece of its giant slice of pie. Which if I remember correctly isn't Titleist under the Callaway umbrella?

Thank you, MGS, for the opportunity to test!

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

3 hours ago, Bohnson said:

@KenRider enjoy Maui! The balls hold up really well in the wind. Just played in FL. 
Play the municipal golf course (waiehu). It’s right on the water and walkable. It’s a cheaper round that is worth every penny. 

IMG_5713.jpeg

@2puttbogey recommended Waiehu as well. We're going to give it a shot.

12 hours ago, Erin B said:

Played in Wellington on Friday at Mountain Vista. The wind was howling, I was going to go to Southridge, but decided the wind would give some better opportunities for testing. I play Pelican Lakes on Friday for the VGA. I’ll be using these balls there. I’m really liking the X. Cheyenne courses aren’t open yet so off to the land of greenies I go! What’s your favorite course around Fort Collins area? I love TPC CO and Highland Meadows. I did get the opportunity to play Saddleback in Firestone, it’s nice as well. Happy Birdie Hunting in Maui!

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play in the Fort Collins area. I've heard Harmony Club and Raindance National are nice.

FULL REVIEW:  Callaway white box balls (Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X vs. Gamer Pro V1x Left Dash)

First Impressions:

I was a little torn on if I liked that each ball had the full name on them.  I sort of wish Callaway had designated them in another way like "red numbers and black numbers" so we really didn't know what we were testing.  That being said, the unboxing was solid (posted a video early in the thread) and the balls had a premium feel right out of the box.  No graphics printing errors or surface issues upon unboxing, which is what I'd expect for a ball that costs $50+ a dozen.   I mention this below, but they do feel a TINY bit "shiny" to me causing some very minor glare spots.  I'm loving the Triple Track and think it helps with putting for me personally.  First Impression 10/10  Aesthetics Score 9/10

Swing Data:

I compared both balls to my preferred gamer at the moment, the Pro V1x Left Dash.  I'm secretly excited to lose all of those in my bag and make the permanent switch to the Chrome Tour!   I really didn't think I'd be saying that as I have LOVED the Pro V1 lineup for some time, but Callaway has stepped their game up BIG TIME!  While I could go with either the Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X, I am really liking the lower spin I'm getting with the Chrome Tour, which is also great because it's exactly what Callaway advertises when comparing the two models.  

On the Trackman I didn't have "great" session.  My swing was decent, but I've never loved swinging in a simulator.  I don't know what it is, but it's just not the same for me compared to hitting in open air.  I even seem to hit better off mats in open air compared to mats in a simulator.  Maybe I'm weird?!  Anyway, the below table is a comparison of all 3 balls over a total of about 125 swings.  Needless to say, I was tired at the end, but I made sure to pace myself so I didn't burn out, so I do think this is a pretty fair comparison for me personally.  I can hit swing speeds of about 114 when I really want it, but knowing I was in for a lot of swings I really tried to take the "on course" mentality of swinging hard, but not out of my shoes.  

Chrome Tour:  19/20 (only downgrade is that some really low spinners just fell out of the sky)

Chrome Tour X:  18/20 (a little more spin off the driver did tend to take a few yards off, in particular in roll)

Pro V1x Left Dash:  17/20  (was hurt a lot in iron spin, which I had no clue about!)

image.png.2b011f2d8ee8546196b1779cf4eec801.png

On the Course:

Chrome Tour:  19/20  (Absolute bombs off the tee!  Only knock, not unlike other balls in this tier, they cut up a bit after some full wedge shots)

Chrome Tour X:  18/20  (Very consistent performance all around, but felt a little spinny off the tee for me)

Off the Tee:

In one of my videos I absolutely "crunched" one of the drives with the Chrome Tour and I saw it time and time again on that front 9.  I think I had it 100' in the air with about 2100 rpm and it just went a country mile!  I really couldn't believe how piercing the flight was and I think I carried that one about 3 bills.  I really just felt like every shot was spin controlled with the Tour, while the Tour X got a TINY bit spinny on me a couple times.  In any wind I think the Tour X could cause me some issues, so I would plan on putting the Chrome Tour in the bag now for that reason.   

Approach: 

Personally the iron play was neck and neck with these two models.  I noticed a visible spin difference with the driver (and likely 3 wood, which is in the mail still 😞 ) but when I got irons in play they performed VERY similar on the course.  No crazy spinners on the green and both had a nice steep angle of decent to hold greens even from 200+ out.  

Flight:

On the course I fell in love with the Chrome Tour almost immediately.  It really had me questioning my gamer choice in the Pro V1x Left Dash.  Had I been playing the wrong ball for the last few years...whelp probably!  At the same time, I think this Callaway model is a HUGE improvement from prior years.  The Chrome Tour was so predictable for me.  I suppose there were a few pulls that sort of dropped out of the sky fast because of super low spin, but I'll take that all day over the high spinners I tend to fight against.   Chrome Tour was my preferred model, followed by Chrome Tour X, and finally 3rd on the podium is my gamer Pro V1x Left Dash...SMH!

Greenside:

Here is where I'd say there is true parody of all 3 balls.  I think you could toss a blank ball down between them and I'd be very happy with the performance of any model I compared.  The "hop and stop" was always in play, but they'd release when you wanted a more bump and run approach.  Zero complaints in performance, but there is a different sound to the models.  For me, not a big deal, but I did notice the Tour X was a more muted sound and the Tour tended to have a more distinct "click". 

Putting:

My earlier post really details the sound, which I think was the primary difference in the two models.  I had an "average" putting day out on the course, so it's not like changing the ball all of a sudden made me drain putts, but they felt good.  See my videos in my earlier post for a detailed review of the sound, as for some this may play a factor especially if you were to go putter shopping.  Made me think..."when I go look for a putter I need to bring my gamer ball" which really hadn't occurred to me to be honest. 

Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down (Like vs. Dislike):  

Chrome Tour:  20/20

Chrome Tour X:  18/20

Thumbs Up:  Chrome Tour driver flight was a massive improvement compared to the Chrome Soft of prior years.  Genuinely SHOCKED me how great this was and I became a believer fast!

Thumbs Down:  Nothing really bothered me throughout this process.  If I had to get picky, I'd say the finish is a tiny bit too glossy if that makes sense.  For some reason I noticed more "glare spots" in the bright sun on these models compared to the Pro V1x Left Dash.  That could literally be circumstantial and just happened to notice when it was at the right angle, but the Callaway models seemed a tiny by shiny in comparison. 

Did it Improve My Game:

Yes!  The Chrome Tour is going in the bag.  Pick any club in the bag and I'm happier with the results compared to my gamer.  I blame myself for maybe getting a little "stuck in my ways" for that, but I applaud Callaway for a great product!

Play or Trade:

Chrome Tour:  20/20

Chrome Tour X: 19/20

I like to buy balls in bulk when manufacturers or retailers have specials, so I plan on taking advantage of that and getting more of the Chrome Tour very soon!

Conclusion:

I personally think anyone that's not playing a bunch of $ games would enjoy either of these balls.  For me the CT was a slightly better fit than the CTX, but both beat out my gamer.  I would recommend you consider this question and that will get you to your answer with these ball options:

Do you tend to struggle with high flyers and get very little to no roll off the tee?  If yes, try the Chrome Tour. 

Do your balls fall out of the sky and stay too low?  Do you tend to hit greens and roll off the back?  If yes, try the Chrome Tour X.

FINAL SCORES:

CT:  97/100

CTX:  92/100

What a great test, thank you MGS for the opportunity!  Hope to do more tests in the future 🙂 

Attached are photos of the single ball I used throughout the whole session, including the wedges.  I'm quite pleased with the normal durability of these too!

Here's a video of some swings from the testing session on Trackman:

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

Jeff D.

WITB:

Stealth Plus 10.5 w/ X-Stiff Evenflow Riptide MX 70 TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3-wood w/ Steelfiber 85g X-Stiff (F5)

Taylormade P770 (2021) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 x100

Vokey SM7 wedges 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

21 hours ago, KenRider said:

First Impressions

Sound

Alignment

Feedback

Simulator

On the Course

Conclusion

I realized while I was lying in bed last night that I forgot to include my review scores.

image.png.631b7435df8a4f00479b80c857c995a4.png

On 2/2/2024 at 12:16 PM, Madden B said:

SO, the winner is....

Screenshot2024-02-27at9_42_00AM.png.4151b6b5553845995b6b049dde714c96.png

For me, the Chrome Tour X is the best ball with driver and it really doesn't even feel close. And this was a big shock to me but maybe it is just my swing speed (100-101 mph stock driver swing) and how I hit the ball, but I love the way the Tour X flies. The Launch is slightly higher than the other balls, ball speed is higher, the spin is closer to where it needs to be and the Smash factor was better. And when it came to carry and overall numbers, it was much longer than all the other balls. Consistency/dispersion between all the balls was pretty similar and most of the balls would end up in the fairway, which is pretty consistent for my game. Lastly, I am a very low spin player and the Tour X did have the highest spin, which is still a little low for what a driver should be. I am working on my dad to get me a new driver that isn't a low spin model, like my current Stealth Plus, but he isn't pulling out his wallet! I will keep pushing him, maybe he will come around.

Interestingly for me is the difference between the driver results and the iron results because I hit the Chromesoft the longest with an 8 Iron and it was the shortest with the driver. I am guessing that has to do with compression numbers and my swing speeds, but I am not smart enough and don't quite understand the physics behind that just yet. I am just getting to trigonometry (which I don't love) right now in my 9th grade math class, so I will have to wait to better understand that until I get a little further along in my schooling! 

Other sim data was pretty comparable across the board. I hit with wedges, low irons, mid irons, higher irons, fairway woods, etc. I even pulled out my dad's Sim2 Rescue club to hit a hybrid (which I don't carry anymore) and the data was pretty consistent with the driver and 8 iron results. The woods and driver where best suited to the Tour X, low-mid irons where better with the ProV1 and Chrome Tour, and the Chromesoft was the ball of choice for higher irons and wedges. BUT this is just data from the launch monitor!!!! 

On Course details up next. I am working on compiling a couple of scorecards and editing some videos from the rounds of golf that I have been playing, but the on course performance has been awesome with the Chrome Tour and Tour X. More to come soon!

Latest update from me, which includes more data from the launch monitor. I am working on gathering the videos and images from my on course rounds but my biology teacher is giving me the side eye so I can't work on it in class today. I hope to have it all up and posted by tomorrow night, but the early rounds have been great. I really do like these golf balls, not sure what I am going to put in the bag this summer but both of these balls are certainly in contention. 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo:

Getting ready to commence with my Callaway 2024 Ball Testing over the next few days.

I was playing the yellow Chrome Soft X for the past few years which I had selected after testing against Callaway Chrome Soft and Callaway Chrome Soft LS.

It will be interesting to see how Callaway has changed the new models...

IMG_6981.jpeg

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

Hello MGS peeps.

Unfortunately, I do not think I will be able to continue with my testing.  My back is giving me fits and I cannot swing the club. Played Sunday and was going to do a write up on the Tour ball only, but it was a waste of time as I could not make a golf swing and shot the worst score, 90, in the last 10 years. .  I am taking at least a week off, maybe more.  

David Staller

5 hours ago, KenRider said:

@2puttbogey recommended Waiehu as well. We're going to give it a shot.

You will not be disappointed. Some of the best greens on the island, and 3 holes in a row along the ocean. The picture in @KenRiderpost is the 5th tee. Here a couple more pics. One country the green on 15, and one from the back nine looking down on the front nine. I play the Dunes every Wednesday morning (819 tee time but usually start earlier) if you want to check that course out.

61110400462__082C5E6C-8584-4096-BA82-C8107E9E8501.jpeg