Bad driver fitting

Have you ever been fitted with a driver and the performance on the course doesn’t match what you were use to hit?

I got fitted last year with a TM Stealth 2 plus driver and my drives are shorter and everywhere from my old TM R11 🤣. I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced bad fitting? I feel like my fitter just wanted to sell me a Stealth 2 plus. Hope to read your fitting experiences. Have a day!

Were you indoors or outdoors for your fitting?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, Tdog88qc said:

Have you ever been fitted with a driver and the performance on the course doesn’t match what you were use to hit?

I got fitted last year with a TM Stealth 2 plus driver and my drives are shorter and everywhere from my old TM R11 🤣. I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced bad fitting? I feel like my fitter just wanted to sell me a Stealth 2 plus. Hope to read your fitting experiences. Have a day!

Need some more background. Indoor/outdoor?  What was discussed with the fitter on expectations?

Fittings are very dependent on communication between all parties. How a club feels or shaft reacts. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I agree with the gentlemen above. Testing indoors vs Outdoors makes a difference. I had a friend who played the TM M5 and he went to get fitted for a Stealth 2. He's a decent player and ball striker, and when he was doing the fitting, it was the aesthetics that threw him off on the new stealth. He preferred the M series but they pulled out an Demo Sim2 head and he preferred that. Also, was there a shaft change? Loft? Grip?

What was the setup of your R11? Is it similar to the Stealth? Or did you get everything changed?

• Driver: 8* callaway Paradym lofted down to 6*
    • Shaft: Hzrdus Smoke Black X-Stiff
  • LD Drivers: Krank LD 4*
    • Shaft: House of Forged Ninja LD 230 tipped. Playing at 47.25
  • 3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone
    • Shaft: Hzrdus Smoke Black X-stiff
  • 4-PW: Callaway Apex Pro 2019
    • Shaft: Nippon Modus 3 120 X-stiff
  • Gap Wedge: 52*Cleveland CBX
  • Sand Wedge: 56* Cleveland RTX5
  • 60* Vokey SM4 with a 6 degree bounce (for very delicate chip shots)
  • Putter: Kirkland KS1, Bent upright, additional 45 Grams of weight added to the head.

Did you hit other drivers? Or was that the only head he had you hit?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

1 hour ago, Tdog88qc said:

With my irons I got fit at the end of the season.  They didnt get delivered till the middle of winter.  It took me probably a solid month or two to get re-aquainted with them at the start of the next season.

How long has the struggle been going on for you?  Might just need more time.

Edited by skraeling

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

Just now, Tdog88qc said:

Indoors. No breeze 🤪

That's likely the biggest thing. Fittings inside are great to take out variables, bit for some golfers (myself included) we have slightly different swings and tendencies indoors vs outdoors. 

I don't think I'll ever do a true fitting indoors when an outdoor fitting I'd available. To see ball flights and more is just do important.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

46 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Did you hit other drivers? Or was that the only head he had you hit?

I hit 3 other brands but the numbers with the stealth were the best. Love the design but ultimately might of been influenced by the marketing pitch of TM and the fitter. 

I just had a fitting at Golftec. Honestly, I could not recommend it. I was getting fit for 3W and 3H. He only had me hit one head for each and only 1 shaft on each. The 3W had a driver shaft on it so I had to grip down on it. I've only been playing since July 2023, so I was kinda surprised that the head he had me hitting was the Qi 10 Tour for both 3W and hybrid. I only hit maybe 6 shots for each club. He then tried to sell me on both clubs. Overall, it was just a rather poor experience and waste of money.

Makeshift assortment of clubs thanks to local criminals that enjoy breaking in to cars.

Driver: Taylormade Qi 10 Max 10.5 degree

Fairway Woods: Taylormade M4 3W, 5W

Hybrids: Taylormade Stealth Plus Rescue 4/22 degree

Irons: Taylormade Stealth HD 5, 6, 8, 9, PW, AW

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52, 58, Taylormade MG4 54

Putter: Taylormade Spider GT

Balls: Taylormade TP5, Titleist ProV1s

Tech: Arccos, Rapsodo MLM2PRO

I like the idea of an outdoor fitting, but can't think of any place near me that offers that (maybe some of the private clubs).

Additionally, I would argue that the majority on the GD Top Fitters list don't offer this either. Doesn't seem like a must-have for a fitting, could see feedback from turf interaction being important, but ideally you aren't hitting through the turf with your driver.

Edited by BallsLeon

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

3 hours ago, Tdog88qc said:

Was the Stealth better than your R11 when you did the fitting and compared them side by side?

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes I have.  It's no fun but there are also circumstances attached to my issue.

I've been changing my downswing into impact and that has played a role in how this driver performs.  It makes sense since I am not swinging the same as I did that day during the fitting.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Have never had a driver fitting where I didn’t get the same on course experience as I did in the fitting.

I have done indoor fittings and outdoor fittings. If a driver didn’t give me numbers as good or better than my current driver it don’t get bought and if the numbers werent in the right range i didnt buy

2 hours ago, Tdog88qc said:

I hit 3 other brands but the numbers with the stealth were the best. Love the design but ultimately might have been influenced by the marketing pitch of TM and the fitter. 

What numbers?

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have never had a driver fitting where I didn’t get the same on course experience as I did in the fitting.

I have done indoor fittings and outdoor fittings. If a driver didn’t give me numbers as good or better than my current driver it don’t get bought and if the numbers werent in the right range i didnt buy

What numbers?

Ditto

And also there are fittings and fittings - was this really a fitting or a demo day?  Big Difference there.  

I saw a respondent say he had a bad fitting at Golftec - I believe it because not all Golftec's are alike.  I was fit at my local Golftec last year and it was a great experience.  I particularly appreciated the follow up - by the time I had my driver in hand I knew it was what I was fit for.  So that's another possibility of the OP - have you brought the driver in to be sure that you got what was ordered?  The gap in technology between a R11 and Stealth 2 is so great that it is hard to imagine how you wouldn't see a benefit unless you were completely missfit, there were something wrong with the way the club was built or something has gone side ways with your swing - that happens too - I've been unhappy with a new set of irons that I purchased last summer - they were great at first and then I started having issued - had to be their fault, right?  

Not so fast there Indian, it was clearly me, I'm swinging much better and guess what.  All of a sudden the irons aren't so bad as I thought they were.  Actually there are pretty sweet - I'm glad I didn't sell them as I threatened to a couple of months ago.

Any way - I'm wondering if the driver came in differently from what was ordered.  

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

34 minutes ago, revkev said:

Ditto

And also there are fittings and fittings - was this really a fitting or a demo day?  Big Difference there.  

I saw a respondent say he had a bad fitting at Golftec - I believe it because not all Golftec's are alike.  I was fit at my local Golftec last year and it was a great experience.  I particularly appreciated the follow up - by the time I had my driver in hand I knew it was what I was fit for.  So that's another possibility of the OP - have you brought the driver in to be sure that you got what was ordered?  The gap in technology between a R11 and Stealth 2 is so great that it is hard to imagine how you wouldn't see a benefit unless you were completely missfit, there were something wrong with the way the club was built or something has gone side ways with your swing - that happens too - I've been unhappy with a new set of irons that I purchased last summer - they were great at first and then I started having issued - had to be their fault, right?  

Not so fast there Indian, it was clearly me, I'm swinging much better and guess what.  All of a sudden the irons aren't so bad as I thought they were.  Actually there are pretty sweet - I'm glad I didn't sell them as I threatened to a couple of months ago.

Any way - I'm wondering if the driver came in differently from what was ordered.  

Exactly. Not all fitters are good fittings and not all fittings are good fittings. Also what the golfer says to the fitter or doesn’t say plays a role in how the fitting goes and what the fitter has the golfer try.

Example saying I want more distance. That’s not too hard to do. Get spin down and launch up and total distance can increase over the current club. Doesn’t mean that launch and spin will be playable on the course.

9 hours ago, GuessWho78 said:

I just had a fitting at Golftec. Honestly, I could not recommend it. I was getting fit for 3W and 3H. He only had me hit one head for each and only 1 shaft on each. The 3W had a driver shaft on it so I had to grip down on it. I've only been playing since July 2023, so I was kinda surprised that the head he had me hitting was the Qi 10 Tour for both 3W and hybrid. I only hit maybe 6 shots for each club. He then tried to sell me on both clubs. Overall, it was just a rather poor experience and waste of money.

I had a poor experience at GolfTec in 2022 and am going through refitting now with my local CPGA pro because of it

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x