With my golf game starting to come along fairly well and my iron striking improving, one area I think we all come back to is putting. I spent some time at my local club over lunch doing some chipping and then onto putting and played with a few drills I've been using for a long time and then one new one. 

1 - Classic strike focus 

Setting tees up half an inch either side of where my putter should be and ensuring I'm swinging through this without touching the tees as I putt

2 - Distance control

Putting to the fringe from about 15 ft away to gain better control of pace of my putts. I've seen lots of coaches talk about not aiming at the hole when working on distance control to ensure you focus on the one area.

3 - Clock work drill (picture1)

Set up four tees around a hole 4ft away and aim to sink them all in without missing. If you miss any, you reset and start again - I find helps to build some of that pressure you see on the course as well as focus. Most I managed today was 7 in a row (just shy of two rotations). After a while I moved the tees back to 6ft and went again (best today was 4 in a row). 

4 - Gate work & strike (picture 2)

I'd seen a clip of Hideki Matsuyama doing this recently so can't be that bad an idea so thought I'd try it myself. Idea of it is that to get a good roll on the ball you need to be striking slightly up on it. As such, almost bury a tee behind the ball and avoid touching it. I did this for a while and then added a gate to ensure my focus was also on getting the ball moving where I needed. 

I'm keen to see what others are finding is helping improve their putting and any other ideas on how to keep cutting down those dreaded 3 putts.

Putting drill 1.jpg

IMG-20240223-WA0002.jpg

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

2 hours ago, SDunne said:

With my golf game starting to come along fairly well and my iron striking improving, one area I think we all come back to is putting. I spent some time at my local club over lunch doing some chipping and then onto putting and played with a few drills I've been using for a long time and then one new one. 

1 - Classic strike focus 

Setting tees up half an inch either side of where my putter should be and ensuring I'm swinging through this without touching the tees as I putt

2 - Distance control

Putting to the fringe from about 15 ft away to gain better control of pace of my putts. I've seen lots of coaches talk about not aiming at the hole when working on distance control to ensure you focus on the one area.

3 - Clock work drill (picture1)

Set up four tees around a hole 4ft away and aim to sink them all in without missing. If you miss any, you reset and start again - I find helps to build some of that pressure you see on the course as well as focus. Most I managed today was 7 in a row (just shy of two rotations). After a while I moved the tees back to 6ft and went again (best today was 4 in a row). 

I'd seen a clip of Hideki Matsuyama doing this recently so can't be that bad an idea so thought I'd try it myself. Idea of it is that to get a good roll on the ball you need to be striking slightly up on it. As such, almost bury a tee behind the ball and avoid touching it. I did this for a while and then added a gate to ensure my focus was also on getting the ball moving where I needed. 

I'm keen to see what others are finding is helping improve their putting and any other ideas on how to keep cutting down those dreaded 3 putts.

Putting drill 1.jpg

IMG-20240223-WA0002.jpg

I remember seeing the tee peg drill a bunch with Hideki last year or maybe the year before. Interestingly I can't say I have tried that. I still love my puttout and do most of my practice with that.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

All of those drills are great and will help lower your scores! 

helping to eliminate 3-putts was the last part of your post, and I believe that is going to come from speed control on putts outside of 25feet. 

do that same drill you were doing on #2 but extend it to 35-40feet if possible. Some time I place a Tee in the ground about 1foot from the fringe and try and get my ball as close to the tee as possible without hitting the fringe.

Also get confident from 3-4 feet, that way on a 50 foot putt you just need to get it inside an 8 foot circle to feel confident on your next putt.

Those 3-putts will be a thing of the past soon!

Great drills. I like the circle drill at 3, 6, and 10' as each side presents a different slope/break. Over 10' I work on speed control.

I've only seen clips of the pushed down tee drill, and have to say that I'd be nervous about scraping up the bottom of the putter. I may try it with a thin ball marker though.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Great drills. I like the circle drill at 3, 6, and 10' as each side presents a different slope/break. Over 10' I work on speed control.

I've only seen clips of the pushed down tee drill, and have to say that I'd be nervous about scraping up the bottom of the putter. I may try it with a thin ball marker though.

You can put a scorecard pencil behind the ball instead. Much easier imo.

Driver - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 9° (@ 8°) | Shaft: Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-flex (1.0" short)

FW -   image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 14.5° (@ 13°) | Shaft: Alta CB 65 X-flex (1.0" short)   

FW -    image.png.86e7aa7f20ff5fea693ff7deb88b3cf6.png S IM2 HL 16.5° | Tensei Blue 65 X-flex (1.5" short)

4H - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G430 22° (@ 23°) | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX-flex (0.5" short)

5-PW - image.png.17ff27bffaa1408726b50b14d7ad1f64.png Pro 223 | Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour3 115 X-flex

GW - image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 50°  08/F | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

SW -  image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 54° 12/D | Dynamic Gold S200

LW - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png Glide 4.0 - 58° 06/T | Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Best putting aid I've invested in was a small puttout mirror, has helped a ton with consistent setup and ensuring my eyes are in the right spot over the ball.

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

22 hours ago, SDunne said:

I'd seen a clip of Hideki Matsuyama doing this recently so can't be that bad an idea so thought I'd try it myself. Idea of it is that to get a good roll on the ball you need to be striking slightly up on it. As such, almost bury a tee behind the ball and avoid touching it.

My reaction (*Note: average recreational bogey golfer here) is just like full swing drills, Hideki is working on that specific drill to address a specific problem of *his*... 

It may imho, or: may not?, be preferable to switch to a putter with more loft vs changing your putting stroke.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08; Tour Edge 1-Out
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll RR5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Putting drills:

Look at the hole while stroking the putter and watch the ball go in the hole from all distances, this will smooth out your stroke while looking a spot you want the ball to start on your intended line.

Put a coin on the putter head (in hope that it stays there) to smooth out your stroke.

Place a ball about 6 inches behind the putter and gently with the backstroke roll the ball backwards a little then take the follow through stroke to hit the intended ball towards the hole.

The ladder drill to help with distance control.

Find your grip pressure--lighter the better.

Place a ball on the edge of the cup and from 6 feet away hit a ball firm enough to knock the other ball into the hole (helps with your concentration).

Putting is a game within a game so treat it that way/make it fun to practice.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

32 minutes ago, pineneedlespro said:

Find your grip pressure--lighter the better.

Why is lighter better and what is considered lighter?  What does it improve?  Won't mishits on longer putts cause the putter to rotate due to the lighter grip?  Won't this cause the putter head to droop/torque down during the stroke?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/23/2024 at 9:16 PM, acatalano32 said:

All of those drills are great and will help lower your scores! 

helping to eliminate 3-putts was the last part of your post, and I believe that is going to come from speed control on putts outside of 25feet. 

do that same drill you were doing on #2 but extend it to 35-40feet if possible. Some time I place a Tee in the ground about 1foot from the fringe and try and get my ball as close to the tee as possible without hitting the fringe.

Also get confident from 3-4 feet, that way on a 50 foot putt you just need to get it inside an 8 foot circle to feel confident on your next putt.

Those 3-putts will be a thing of the past soon!

Very good point - the aim was to build on your second area - getting confident from 4ft to ensure that second putt drops but this week will definitely be looking at speed control from distance to ensure I'm putting the first putt at least that close! I like the idea of your tee near the fringe as often putt to the fringe but aware that if I go past, it's tougher to see how far past. 

Thanks!

RUNNER Mallet putter  

On 2/23/2024 at 10:23 PM, Rob Person said:

It's useful - bit like the headcover when hitting driver/irons of almost a reminder. A ball marker would definitely work the same (and likely easier!)

RUNNER Mallet putter  

On 2/24/2024 at 12:23 PM, cksurfdude said:

My reaction (*Note: average recreational bogey golfer here) is just like full swing drills, Hideki is working on that specific drill to address a specific problem of *his*... 

It may imho, or: may not?, be preferable to switch to a putter with more loft vs changing your putting stroke.

Fair point - easy to get sucked into copying what is on Youtube/Insta etc. I've definitely scuffed the ground before hitting putts myself (more so when trying to putt from distance) so found it useful as a reminder of how my putting action should flow. 

RUNNER Mallet putter  

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

Why is lighter better and what is considered lighter?  What does it improve?  Won't mishits on longer putts cause the putter to rotate due to the lighter grip?  Won't this cause the putter head to droop/torque down during the stroke?

It is best described in Tiger Woods book "How I Play Golf" chapter one pages 24 and 25, as how a light grip pressure when putting is best.

WITB:

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is best described in Tiger Woods book "How I Play Golf" chapter one pages 24 and 25, how light pressure is best when putting.

WITB:

1 hour ago, pineneedlespro said:

It is best described in Tiger Woods book "How I Play Golf" chapter one pages 24 and 25, how light pressure is best when putting.

Page 24/25 description.  Ben Crenshaw said hold it so lightly that it basically falls out of your hands.   Tiger then says he holds his putter at a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 which is tighter than Ben but less than he used to use.     Pretty drastic differences and just saying "light" is a confusing and basically meaningless description.   I don't consider 5 light.   

And why do what Tiger does?  Does that make it the best?  Why not do what Crenshaw, Nicklaus, Faxon, Locke, Roberts, Hogan, Jones or a host of other players do?   

Edited by cnosil

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

And why do what Tiger does?  Does that make it the best?  Why not do what Crenshaw, Nicklaus, Faxon, Locke, Roberts, Hogan, Jones or a host of other players do?   

Yes, similar to question for @pineneedlespro - would you consider grip firmness/lightness to be related to a person's particular stroke type, or (other)..?

Also curious as I was taught more recently to use a much firmer putting grip...

Thx!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08; Tour Edge 1-Out
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll RR5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm gonna have to give these a go. My putting has been atrocious recently. Ended up buying a putting mirror recently but any drills will help.  

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

For me, it has more to do with putts inside 10 feet.  I am an abysmal putter.  I have been doing a lot of practice with 6 footers and I miss the hole completely - won't even catch the edge.  But after reading a ton of articles, and watching a million YouTube videos on putting, I found out I am cross-eye dominant (I am right-handed, but left eye dominant).  I moved the ball a little further up in my stance, and I close my right eye when lining up the putt, and I even keep it closed while putting.  Dead straight into the heart every time.   

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

37 minutes ago, HighFade said:

I found out I am cross-eye dominant (I am right-handed, but left eye dominant).  I moved the ball a little further up in my stance, and I close my right eye when lining up the putt, and I even keep it closed while putting.  Dead straight into the heart every time.   

Sounds like you have developed a method to make every putt.  No reason to do anything else; putting problem solved.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you have developed a method to make every putt.  No reason to do anything else; putting problem solved.

We'll see how it holds up in competition....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

5 minutes ago, HighFade said:

We'll see how it holds up in competition....

That becomes mental thing and dealing with pressure and not putting drills.     Need to stop saying you are an abysmal putter.

Edited by cnosil

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

That becomes mental thing and dealing with pressure and not putting drills.     Need to stop saying you are an abysmal putter.

I wish I could, brother.  My friends describe me as a really good player, but a horrible putter.  Hoping to change that!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

On 2/27/2024 at 11:45 AM, BreakfastBall15 said:

I'm gonna have to give these a go. My putting has been atrocious recently. Ended up buying a putting mirror recently but any drills will help.  

Practice aiming your putter at your target, moving the putter straight about an inch before and couple of inches after the ball, rolling the ball where you are aimed, and establishing a consistent rhythm. 

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Practice aiming your putter at your target, moving the putter straight about an inch before and couple of inches after the ball, rolling the ball where you are aimed, and establishing a consistent rhythm. 

I'm planning on getting some practice tomorrow so I'll give that a go.

Has anyone tried out the Stack Putting? Seems interesting but is it worth it?

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

On 2/26/2024 at 2:56 PM, cksurfdude said:

Yes, similar to question for @pineneedlespro - would you consider grip firmness/lightness to be related to a person's particular stroke type, or (other)..?

Also curious as I was taught more recently to use a much firmer putting grip...

Thx!

Ok I understand, putting is an individual thing each has their own style that works for them--got it,

WITB:

28 minutes ago, pineneedlespro said:

Ok I understand, putting is an individual thing each has their own style that works for them--got it,

There are many schools of thought on putting.  There are people that say you need to putt a certain way and other that say that putting is easy and just do what you naturally do.  Just because a PGA player putts well,  does that mean their approach is the best or that they are capable of describing what they actually do?    You made a statement based on what is written in Tiger's book and it doesn't align with what he said Crenshaw told him to do.    Like @cksurfdude my putting instructors haven't defined a specific measure or number for grip pressure, but one that is firm enough to keep the putter from drooping or twisting during the stroke.  

I personally think there are fundamentals that players should follow but players need to make decisions on how they want to putt.    For example,  how should the player move the putter:  left arm dominant, right arm dominant, shoulder driven, arms around passive shoulders, pop stroke, etc.   We can find people that are considered great putters that do any ones of those.   IMO, players should work through various methods and find what they can do most consistently and starts the ball online and gives them solid distance control.