Jump to content
Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golfing in Switzerland!


Recommended Posts

@GolfSpy_APH - Beautiful picture! My wife and I have traveled to Switzerland several time and always love our visits. Lucerne is probably our favorite spot to visit, with Montreux a close second. In a 2012 visit to Bern, we discovered Swiss wine, which we "import" to the US every time we get a chance, LOL. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how long the average round takes with everyone walking? My guess is less than the average time here in the US. Also, does the requirement of a handicap impact the average round time and/or reduce overcrowding?

WITB - Callaway Epic Flash woods, 2019 Apex irons, Mizuno T-Zoid wedges, Ping Anser putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So does this mean I need to maintain an official handicap before I come visit!? 

You sure do have some lovely looking courses out there Jamie! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@GolfSpy_APH, Very well written, thank you for giving us an idea of what golfing is like in Switzerland.

You have some amazing scenery there, love the pictures!

 

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - SW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore  52deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PCS said:

I wonder how long the average round takes with everyone walking? My guess is less than the average time here in the US. Also, does the requirement of a handicap impact the average round time and/or reduce overcrowding?

Most courses are 4 hours and 15 minutes. 

Morning groups I play with are 3:30 to 3:45.

Still lots of lost balls and searching and very crowded in afternoons so those issues still exist.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful country- lived in Pully for 2 years for my dad's work when I was a little lad.  Unfortunately, golfing was not even on my radar back then... still have many friends in Lucerne and Bern and Genève.  

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Tensei AV Blue Limited 6R)

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Gamer Ball: Bridgestone e12 Contact 

Under Evaluation: Taylormade 2024 TP5 and TP5x 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is some beautiful scenery Jamie! Love the pace of play you mention as there are times when it can be difficult to get a round completed in those times with a cart around here...

 TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

 TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

 TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, HZRDUS RDX Smoke 6.0 

 RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

 T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

 Studio Select, Newport 1.5

 ELIXR (2022)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved the write up!  Certainly a place to behold!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife and I are thinking of going to Switzerland in October 2024, never been.  Is the weather good then, an is 3-4 days enough, going on to Italy, and where should we go.  Don't want to turn this into a travel blog, but just noticed the post.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

My wife and I are thinking of going to Switzerland in October 2024, never been.  Is the weather good then, an is 3-4 days enough, going on to Italy, and where should we go.  Don't want to turn this into a travel blog, but just noticed the post.

It's like anywhere it can be! It can also be grey and rainy for long stretches. Also very area defendant.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2024 at 7:30 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Great article! 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each round. 

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/stiff stock shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

Titleist PT 17 Medal Wood w/steel shaft

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

what a great description of what golf is like in another country! well done.

I wish the U.S. required people to take a 1 month intro course and get a handicap. I love the fact that you can see who you are playing with and their skill level.

@GolfSpy_APH - I see you're surrounded by Austria, Germany, France and Italy, have you had a chance to play golf in any of those countries?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to copy my comment/question here-

Great stuff! It’s really neat to hear about golf culture in such a different place. Apart from the cost of everything, I really dig the golf parks, year-round golf, everyone walking, and of course the scenery. Taking the train to the course, hahthat’s great 🙂 And interesting about the introductory course and handicap stuff. So do you update your scoring/handicap after you play each time, or how does that work? 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HikingMike said:

So do you update your scoring/handicap after you play each time, or how does that work? 

Not Jamie, but I found this link, which seems to have been written by an Irishman who plays in Switzerland. It discusses the introductory class (or you can get the handicap card by taking lessons from a pro, a little cheaper than the class). Once you have one, not every score counts. Scores in a recognized competition count, or scores that you declare ahead of time will be posted (called EDS for Extra Day Score) and are scored by an independent scorer. No keeping your own score and sandbagging allowed.

https://www.baselirishclub.org/outandabout/golfinthebaselarea#:~:text=For golfers who need to,Migros or a local club.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

 

Fit For Golf tester 2024

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

what a great description of what golf is like in another country! well done.

I wish the U.S. required people to take a 1 month intro course and get a handicap. I love the fact that you can see who you are playing with and their skill level.

@GolfSpy_APH - I see you're surrounded by Austria, Germany, France and Italy, have you had a chance to play golf in any of those countries?

I have played a few times in Germany because I live 20 minutes from the boarder, but for the most part I have stayed here. Looking at maybe a little trip to Austria or Italy for some golf, France will be back for Disneyland with the kids. 

Turkey and Bulgaria are the other two places on the list of must go for golfing. 

And thanks! Glad you enjoyed it Jason. I truly love the fact you can see handicaps etc - again it helps set up expectations way ahead of time which is nice when playing as a single like i normally do. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Not Jamie, but I found this link, which seems to have been written by an Irishman who plays in Switzerland. It discusses the introductory class (or you can get the handicap card by taking lessons from a pro, a little cheaper than the class). Once you have one, not every score counts. Scores in a recognized competition count, or scores that you declare ahead of time will be posted (called EDS for Extra Day Score) and are scored by an independent scorer. No keeping your own score and sandbagging allowed.

https://www.baselirishclub.org/outandabout/golfinthebaselarea#:~:text=For golfers who need to,Migros or a local club.

 

3 hours ago, HikingMike said:

I'm going to copy my comment/question here-

Great stuff! It’s really neat to hear about golf culture in such a different place. Apart from the cost of everything, I really dig the golf parks, year-round golf, everyone walking, and of course the scenery. Taking the train to the course, hahthat’s great 🙂 And interesting about the introductory course and handicap stuff. So do you update your scoring/handicap after you play each time, or how does that work? 

His response pretty much sums it up. If you want to play a handicap round you just need someone to sign and score for you. Else you just play as normal and it is your tournament rounds that count. I am not using Shot Scope or Arccos right now so my handicap is based of my Canadian handicap and the last 3 tournaments I have played in which lowered my handicap 3 strokes? Didn't think I played that well, but apparently the course was tougher than I thought!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had read somewhere that UK handicaps were competition scores only, but that may have changed when the World Handicap System came in, although Switzerland is also under WHS, as the article I linked above mentions. Right now I have two handicaps: My USGA 'cap through my regional golf association; and my Scottish handicap, which is through my club. Right now, they're identical; if and when my US cap changes, I'll notify the club secretary in Scotland and he'll update me there. Once I'm there, I'll post scores on a terminal in the pro shop, and also post to the USGA through the GHIN app. But it is possible, if Scotland requires competition scores and the USGA doesn't, the two might not be identical always.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

 

Fit For Golf tester 2024

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I had read somewhere that UK handicaps were competition scores only, but that may have changed when the World Handicap System came in, although Switzerland is also under WHS, as the article I linked above mentions. Right now I have two handicaps: My USGA 'cap through my regional golf association; and my Scottish handicap, which is through my club. Right now, they're identical; if and when my US cap changes, I'll notify the club secretary in Scotland and he'll update me there. Once I'm there, I'll post scores on a terminal in the pro shop, and also post to the USGA through the GHIN app. But it is possible, if Scotland requires competition scores and the USGA doesn't, the two might not be identical always.

I asked the club secretary in Scotland about it, and he said their rules are the same as Switzerland: You post competition rounds, or other rounds (declared in advance) where you play with someone who keeps/verifies your score.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

 

Fit For Golf tester 2024

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Great article. I grew up there but didn’t take up golf until years after I’d left. I even had no idea there were Migros golf parks!

🪵 --> :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D/3w/7w | Tensei Blue 65
🧲 --> :srixon-small: MkII ZX4 | Recoil F3
🎯 --> :cleveland-small: CBX 4 ZipCore | Stock
⛳ --> :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Seven S | Stroke Lab SL90
⚽ --> :srixon-small: Q Star [or whatever else comes along]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, quod erat said:

Great article. I grew up there but didn’t take up golf until years after I’d left. I even had no idea there were Migros golf parks!

Thanks! 

They have bought and sold one or two courses, most recently last year they sold Limmpachtal (think that was how it is spelled) This was a fun course (still open, just private now) with the only par 6 in the country. 

Life has been a bit too busy recently, so I haven't had a chance to play too much so far this season. However looking for that to change in the coming weeks!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2024 at 10:29 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have played a few times in Germany because I live 20 minutes from the boarder, but for the most part I have stayed here. Looking at maybe a little trip to Austria or Italy for some golf, France will be back for Disneyland with the kids. 

Turkey and Bulgaria are the other two places on the list of must go for golfing. 

And here I am still waiting for Jamie to visit!

Belek, Turkey is the perfect winter getaway for golfing... recommend!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

And here I am still waiting for Jamie to visit!

Belek, Turkey is the perfect winter getaway for golfing... recommend!

It is a little harder for me to get up to your area! Plus after the german rail strike screwing me out of near 200 euro I am avoiding germany for the next while! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great article, 

I'm looking forward to playing a round in Otelfingen with you, Jamie!

I don't have a handicap yet, I guess that's my next goal right now. I'm still a bit confused by the Swiss system to get there, but I found that I can book an "Academy tournament", which should get me there:
https://www.pccaddie.net/clubs/0410076/app.php?cat=ts_calendar_course&sub=detail&made=dyn&id=2403633&year=2024

---

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@GolfSpy_APH not just railways. Even airlines, subway, bus... it's like they take turns striking to see how they can screw you up!

 

I'm just gonna pile on your great article and point out a few slight differences to golfing in Germany:

 

Cost: it's getting cheaper for sure. You can join a 9 hole club for less than USD 1000/year. For a 18 hole, they can go between USD 1200-3000/year, no initiation fees and it's unlimited golf all year long.

Then you still have a few traditional elite clubs that do ask for initiation of USD 15.000 or a donation of USD 50.000 to their junior program.

So when people ask how cost-prohibitive golf is, I just tell them I pay less than their gym membership.

But regular green fees are definitely lower than Switzerland (heavy discounts start around USD 45 up to USD 120 for the finest courses)

HCP: handicaps are managed by the German Golf Association (think USGA) and all golf clubs are linked to their system. So whenever you play a competitive round or handicap-relevant round, it will be automatically uploaded.
Like good old Germans, they need a license for everything, even for golfing. While it looks good on paper (introductory course, theory test and minimum handicap to play) in the past years, a lot of clubs look the other way.

Why? Because they are in need of new members/green fee players. Sure, trainers still provide a 1 month practice and some rules seminar, but if you don't pass it, they'll still give you your certificate of completion. And if you are a green fee player and don't have your HCP ID, most of the time they'll still let you on the course.

Only the elite clubs can afford to turn away paying customers, so they have rules like weekends only as a guest of a member with a highest HCP of 20 for example.

Winter Golf: some courses use the same greens for summer and winter. Other courses let the summer greens rest and create a winter green for you to hit your approach shot. Those aren't kept as short, so it's a putting odyssey.

 

 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great article Jamie, and that scenery looks fantastic!

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...