Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lead Tape on Driver

Good morning, 

I normally swing fast but produce a slight slice, and when I swing out of my shoes, a really nice slice (I have been known to hit a roof or two).

I slowed my swing down this weekend, hitting about 78% of the fairways but with no distance. My longest drive may have been 220.

I was unsure what I was doing, but something occurred to me; I realized my driver (Callaway Rogue ST) was light.

I added a small strip of lead tape, hit the range, and bombed my drives with a faster swing. Of course this has to translate to the course.

What does everyone think about adding lead tape to produce a heavier driver? To me I felt I could swing harder because the clubhead was closed at impact (might just be mental for me).

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

What does everyone think about adding lead tape to produce a heavier driver? To me I felt I could swing harder because the clubhead was closed at impact (might just be mental for me).

Lead/tungsten tape has been used for decades to adjust weight of heads, produce counterbalance, increase total weight, and influence shot shape.   Basically do what works for you. 

you can also buy different weights for your driver if you don’t like the lead tape:   https://www.thegolfclubtrader.com/products/callaway-driver-head-weight-for-rogue-st-driver 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

Good morning, 

I normally swing fast but produce a slight slice, and when I swing out of my shoes, a really nice slice (I have been known to hit a roof or two).

I slowed my swing down this weekend, hitting about 78% of the fairways but with no distance. My longest drive may have been 220.

I was unsure what I was doing, but something occurred to me; I realized my driver (Callaway Rogue ST) was light.

I added a small strip of lead tape, hit the range, and bombed my drives with a faster swing. Of course this has to translate to the course.

Actually very common with callaway heads. They typically are lighter feeling than most.  If the results work go for it!  
where did you place the tape and how much? Were you trying to decrease spin by putting towards the face? 

WITB

Like @cnosil said this isn't anything new in the golf world. if you follow any of the WITB articles from the pros you will likely see a handful of them playing irons or woods with lead tape on them. In the past with non adjustable drivers I've used lead tape in heel area to help straighten out my fade and aid in turning the ball over right to left. I also play lead tape on my 4 and 5 iron to help with head weight.

If your main reason for introducing lead tape to your driver is losing your club head in your swing due to a fast tempo you may want to consider a heavier shaft. I have a quick transition from the top and I upped one of my shafts to a 70G vs 55-60G shafts I typically played and it helped me set the club at the top of my swing and "find" it, if that makes sense.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Lead/tungsten tape has been used for decades to adjust weight of heads, produce counterbalance, increase total weight, and influence shot shape.   Basically do what works for you. 

you can also buy different weights for your driver if you don’t like the lead tape:   https://www.thegolfclubtrader.com/products/callaway-driver-head-weight-for-rogue-st-driver 

Thank you for the website. I will definitely look into purchasing a weight. 

3 hours ago, TG8 said:

Actually very common with callaway heads. They typically are lighter feeling than most.  If the results work go for it!  
where did you place the tape and how much? Were you trying to decrease spin by putting towards the face? 

I added it right across the logo. It fits perfectly in the groove and it seems to work. 

R.jpg

3 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

Like @cnosil said this isn't anything new in the golf world. if you follow any of the WITB articles from the pros you will likely see a handful of them playing irons or woods with lead tape on them. In the past with non adjustable drivers I've used lead tape in heel area to help straighten out my fade and aid in turning the ball over right to left. I also play lead tape on my 4 and 5 iron to help with head weight.

If your main reason for introducing lead tape to your driver is losing your club head in your swing due to a fast tempo you may want to consider a heavier shaft. I have a quick transition from the top and I upped one of my shafts to a 70G vs 55-60G shafts I typically played and it helped me set the club at the top of my swing and "find" it, if that makes sense.

I will look into a new shaft for sure. I have the stock shaft, and you may be right, a heavier shaft may also do the trick.

R.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

Thank you for the website. I will definitely look into purchasing a weight. 

I just did a 10 second search.  Do a search to make sure the site is reputable or to find a cheaper price.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Also, for the Rogue, I bought some inexpensive tungsten putty at a hobby store and put that inside the gold weight compartment in lieu of buying a Callaway weight.  That worked fine and was fully customizable in case you don’t know how much weight you want to add.  I would recommend that or tape to start with, at least until you determine precisely how much weight you need.  Good luck!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042