How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Shot 75 today in a round that had a very telling result on the three par fives. Can never reach the first one in two, laid tho 111, hit wedge to 2 feet, birdie. Had 231 to a back pin on the next one into the breeze, over water, thought for a second, laid up short of the pond to 97, gripped down GW, 5 feet, birdie. Had 220 downwind on the last one, over water again, didn't catch it,wet, pitched on bogey.

Hum!

There's a lesson in here somewhere- I'm sure of it! Nice wedge work Rev.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

SeeRed doing this test for SCOR has really honed my wedge game - I've hit at least 400 full wedge shots of some stripe or another over the past month.  Not only did my round yesterday say something about strategy (I know the something, don't try a shot over a hazzard unless there's a greater than 90 % probability that it will work and hold your ego in check.) it says something about practice - I've gotten really good at the shots that I've been practicing.

I need to practice more with my fairway woods, mid irons and putter once I'm done with this test.  The rest of my fame is aces - The other possibility is to find a way to get long enough with the driver to only need short irons but lets face it - I'm better off adopting that first plan.  Anyway I am hitting the driver great right now and was surprisingly and unexpectedly long with it - the guy I played with is normally 20 yards longer than I am when we both catch it and we were neck and neck yesterday.  He made eagle on the hole where I dunked it - knocked his 5 wood to 20 feet - I should have hit 5 wood that one I do pull off 90 percent of the time.  But he needed that Eagle to break 90 - amazing game.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

SeeRed doing this test for SCOR has really honed my wedge game - I've hit at least 400 full wedge shots of some stripe or another over the past month.  Not only did my round yesterday say something about strategy (I know the something, don't try a shot over a hazzard unless there's a greater than 90 % probability that it will work and hold your ego in check.) it says something about practice - I've gotten really good at the shots that I've been practicing.

I should have heeded your advice last Saturday.  On #18, I had 180 to the middle of the green, taking my 5 wood, I thinned it right into Pebble Creek.  If I had made it, I would have scored under 40 on the back nine.  But I was greedy, should have laid up and gone for the up and down from 85 yards......

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Shot 75 today in a round that had a very telling result on the three par fives. Can never reach the first one in two, laid tho 111, hit wedge to 2 feet, birdie. Had 231 to a back pin on the next one into the breeze, over water, thought for a second, laid up short of the pond to 97, gripped down GW, 5 feet, birdie. Had 220 downwind on the last one, over water again, didn't catch it,wet, pitched on bogey.

Hum!

Rev I have started doing this more and more as the year progresses, more often than not when I try to go for it in 2 I end up with bogey, but when I lay up to 110-120 yards I often have a really good putt at birdie, and rarely shoot more than par. Perfect case, club championship last weekend, I was finishing very strong I birdied 15, bogey 16, birdie -7, and the finishing hole is par 5, I hit a very good drive , I has 245ish to the center of the green, 225 to the front I had a good lie ball slightly above my feet, I hit 3 wood trying to get eagle, hit a horrible shot and left myself short left with the pin back left, I had no shot, I had a 25 yard shot over the left deep bunker with no green, and no way to stop the ball, I had to play safe because of the bunker and ended up 60 feet away on the back right and 3 putted. Finished with 81 and I had an 8 on hole 12. If I would have laid up to 110 with my wedge, I could have had Easy shot into the left flag position and would have easily made par andost likely would have had a good chance for birdie, which would have been 79 with and 8. So many times I make the wrong decision and it costs my a lot. It's frustrating enough without have my head get on the way

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• SPY VIP

I just finished a round with Golfspy Tim and I played so well that I just made a $500 online purchase at Golf Galaxy. Yep, that was a round for the ages. Nothing like figuring out that you are fighting your equipment...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I just finished a round with Golfspy Tim and I played so well that I just made a $500 online purchase at Golf Galaxy. Yep, that was a round for the ages. Nothing like figuring out that you are fighting your equipment...

Goodness! what did you buy?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Goodness! what did you buy?

So I was also playing with a friend who bought my old 2009 Burner irons from me. My i25's and myself have not been communicating well these days. Coming up short. Really short. Like 135 yard 5i short. As I was bitching about it, he suggested I hit his irons to see if it was a gear issue rather than my swing issue.

After hitting a few shots with the Burners, it was pretty clear that it's likely a gear issue. Old irons = old distances. Go figure.

I ordered a set of the Burner 2.0 irons from GG for $299 as soon as I got home. Then I impulsed into a green Bio Cell driver. I am liking the Bio Cell Pro quite a bit, but that green just sucked me in. Not the Master's limited, just the Dicks/GG exclusive. It was total impulse. We will see on that one...

They have some sales going so it was irons+driver+overnight shipping for about $490

Volvo Intorqueo

I guess you'll find out shortly if it's the Indian or the Arrow.

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

So I was also playing with a friend who bought my old 2009 Burner irons from me. My i25's and myself have not been communicating well these days. Coming up short. Really short. Like 135 yard 5i short. As I was bitching about it, he suggested I hit his irons to see if it was a gear issue rather than my swing issue.

After hitting a few shots with the Burners, it was pretty clear that it's likely a gear issue. Old irons = old distances. Go figure.

I ordered a set of the Burner 2.0 irons from GG for $299 as soon as I got home. Then I impulsed into a green Bio Cell driver. I am liking the Bio Cell Pro quite a bit, but that green just sucked me in. Not the Master's limited, just the Dicks/GG exclusive. It was total impulse. We will see on that one...

They have some sales going so it was irons+driver+overnight shipping for about $490

Do you think the i25s were just a bad fit?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

:)

To. Foz that hole is a bear. I need to come over the bay and play with you again soon. How about a home and away? My 18th has it's issues off the tee. The second shot is going to be the same length as yours to a green surrounding by sand but no water.

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• SPY VIP

I guess you'll find out shortly if it's the Indian or the Arrow.

Come on arrow :P

Do you think the i25s were just a bad fit?

I think that there is something there that just doesn't match up with me right now. Maybe I'm a bit all over the place with the swing, or maybe the struggles that I had during the fitting led to a poor fit. It's hard to say.

When I was playing the burner irons, I had been fit into the standard specs, so I have high hopes. Come on 2010 tech :)

FWIW, I would look at the more recent TaylorMade irons too, but the slot feel is not my favorite and RBZ was a cosmetic no-go.

Thus back to Burners...

Volvo Intorqueo

I picked up the JPX EZ forged about a month ago.  So far,  I would say they are the best golf pick up I have made in a couple years.  Pretty forgiving on mis hits and very nice feel.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I looked at those when I got my Wilson's Matt and the only thing that stopped me was the $400 difference in price. I'm happy with the way I hit the. Wilson's but hate, probably not a strong enough word, the way they look.

I'm not looking at another iron though until I see what SCOR does with Hogan. For starters they seem to get the game and they've also built four free wedges for me that I'm currently bagging I believe I owe them first dibs on my next purchase.

EVNRoll ER 5

Shot 74 in a tournament. I played pretty well, but I had some missed opportunities.  I missed a 3 footer strait uphill on fifteen for birdie, and I snap hooked my drive on 18 way left into a hazard that was not even supposed to be in play, and I made bogey.  I am in third, and I will see how it goes today.   

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I shot 55. Okay so that was on two trips around the. Par 3 course but that's a not bad 1 over especially given that I just played it from where I dropped it. Sometimes that was in the rough even.

EVNRoll ER 5

I shot 82.  I placed 8th.  I played well except for 3 holes in a row which I played 3 over.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

43/48, 91 at Crescent Oaks Golf Club in Tarpon Springs, FL

Was playing well until the 12th hole, where I ran out of gas due to the 95+ heat and lack of water(no bev cart in sight).

Well SeeRed, I joined your ranks this last Saturday. I had a horrendous 21 point stableford round with a total of 43 putts. Lets just say I was getting very close to snapping my putter by the end of the round, but it also didnt help that I had trouble just stitching two shots together. Finally booked in with a Ping rep to get a full fit out for a putter through my teaching pro so hopefully that will help. I have struggled to strike or roll my scotty consistantly for so long I can't even remember the last time it felt good. I'm hoping with a new karstan anser 2 or something possibly even better suited to me will help me gain my confidence in my stroke back.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

43/48, 91 at Crescent Oaks Golf Club in Tarpon Springs, FL

Was playing well until the 12th hole, where I ran out of gas due to the 95+ heat and lack of water(no bev cart in sight).

Played it once not a fan.

EVNRoll ER 5

I shot 78, but I finished very badly.  I finished bogey bogey par double bogey.  I hit the ball alright, but I did not score very well in the end.

Mizuno H5 2 iron.