Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

What's Your Favorite Iron Shaft?

$-taper. 
have played them in a few different heads. Went back to c-taper lite and modus 120 briefly.  But keep coming back to $-taper. Just so stable. Meets my swing exactly where it needs to be for weight and dispersion. So reliable. 

Aerotech steel/fiber I 95  ...    used to be a stock shaft for some companies...   now a 45/50 dollar up charge....  guess they found out how good they are...   

I listen to the experts. I play with KBS Tour, which is what my fitter recommended for my swing.

Golf is hard,

Driver: image.png.81305ef36e1f5b056fc49c420c925522.png ST-X

Woods: image.png.e7cfbeba4b06692d96bc82bc48e1ed4c.png G-430 3 & 5

Hybrid: image.png.3ac099a29c95bfe966ba73fa59b186ec.png G-430 21*

Irons: image.png.6384bfa60e06afce643221065a604913.png G-430 5-W

Wedges: image.png.46defb19a9a88060bfe7a3ab86ef40a8.png G-430 45*, 50* and image.png.82732918fda005669781e65502bc3344.png CBX Zipcore 54*

Putter:  image.png.cbde5b11302345caad0eed1a36e1b72c.pngDF 2.1 

Scott

KBS Tour $-Taper X Stiff. I’ve been searching for a shaft that I don’t have to alter my swing to get the ideal flight. Out of suggestion from the Mizuno rep, we tried these and everything fell into place. I have them attached to my Mizuno Pro 221’s.  

I have been singing the praises of the Mitsubishi OTi graphite shaft since I was fitted in them 2 years ago. Unbelievable tight groupings, my approach shots are very tight. My stiff shafts are 95 grams, but are as stiff as S300s. 

I'm never going back to steel. 

TZ

19 hours ago, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

I have found iron shafts more and more fascinating as I go on and the fact that they can do with steel what they can do. For me, I have been massively impressed with the Project X LZ shafts. I love the feel, and the way it loads, and the flight is perfect! What I found even more interesting was how the shafts in the Haywood irons are. The KBS Tour (X-Stiff), performs just as well if not better in some ways. I was a little nervous when Josh said that would fit me the best. However, now that I have played a little bit with them I love them! KBS may have sold me for future shaft purchases.

I sit in the same boat, currently playing KBS Tour, albeit 120s, but I can control them mostly. Love the feel of the Tour, but also big player of PX Rifle 6.0. Love their trajectory and control, probably going back to them.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Since the time that my iron play has improved to where I could even tell the difference between shafts in any substantial way (last 10-12 years or so), I've only played 3 different shafts, but tested 3 or 4 others. As @GolfSpy_APH suggested as a criteria, the Project X LZ 5.5 is my go-to and the one I always try out on a new iron whenever I can. I've tried the Project X LS 5.5 and a UST Recoil (can't remember the exact model), but I couldn't hit them high enough. I've also tried a Nippon Modus (again, can't remember the specific model), but I didn't like it as much as the LZ. I've had the Project X LZ 5.5 in 2 different Mizuno irons and like them a lot. 

Edit: Oh, yeah! I also tried Project X IO and the Elevate model. Neither worked as well for me as the LZs.

Edited by MIgregb

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

For me, there's a timeless classic that I consider a unicorn shaft. It's harder to find because the company went under quite a few years ago, but they still hold up excellently in today's market. 

It's the Royal Precision FCM Rifle shaft. I recently got my hands on an uncut set made for Cleveland. They'll be going in my Maltby TS4's very soon! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've tried a bunch of different iron shafts over the years, Rifle, Proj. X, KBS, Nippon  and I keep coming back to the DG S300.  For my swing and game I like the slightly heavier weight and how it loads with my Mizuno heads, and I just feel like I know what it's going to do.  Tried a couple of Graphite shafts also but couldn't get used to the feel.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

27 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

Since the time that my iron play has improved to where I could even tell the difference between shafts in any substantial way (last 10-12 years or so), I've only played 3 different shafts, but tested 3 or 4 others. As @GolfSpy_APH suggested as a criteria, the Project X LZ 5.5 is my go-to and the one I always try out on a new iron whenever I can. I've tried the Project X LS 5.5 and a UST Recoil (can't remember the exact model), but I couldn't hit them high enough. I've also tried a Nippon Modus (again, can't remember the specific model), but I didn't like it as much as the LZ. I've had the Project X LZ 5.5 in 2 different Mizuno irons and like them a lot. 

Edit: Oh, yeah! I also tried Project X IO and the Elevate model. Neither worked as well for me as the LZs.

I’m a LZ fan as well, but currently playing the IOs and still LOVE the LZs but am liking the IOs a good deal.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver- Steadfast S Jupiter 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-Steadfast S 45” shaft 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*, 25*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

Irons: New Level 6-PW 902PD 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

Two favorites that both play well for me.

Dynamic Gold 105.  Play DG for many years.  I like the feel and trajectory.  Over the years I have gone from standard DG S400 to S300, and now to the 105 in S300. 

NS Pro Modus3 105.  Tried these for the first time in my Srixon ZX5-ZX7 combo set.  Great shafts.  Similar numbers to the DG, but with a softer feel.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5º  Attas 12S :callaway-small:

TM Stealth 2 16.5º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

TM Stealth Plus 6 wood - 18.8º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

Cobra King Tec 22º MCA MMT :cobra-small:

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 5-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 :srixon-small:

Callaway Jaws Raw 50º 56º 60º DG Spinner :callaway-small:

Bettinardi BB-1 34"  :bettinardi-small:

After playing Dynamic Gold for 35 years, I changed to KBS Tour back in 2011 and loved them BUT my last two sets have had Modus Tour 120s and now there's now going back.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

I have Fuji Ventus black 5a shafts on my Stealth irons. They are the best shafts that I have ever used. I am 70 years old and hit these shafts as well as I did in my 40s. Cheers

P.A. Renaud - Tour Edge Driver 10.5* Senior Shaft

Tour Edge #3, #5 and #7 fairway woods

Callaway Epic Star irons - Senior shafts - 5 to gap wedge

Based on fittings and being objective the best shaft for me is the KBS Tour S 120. Tried different shafts and different heads from different manufacturers during fittings two years ago, and it was constantly coming up as the best performer for my swing. The ball goes through the right window with the right amount of spin and comes down at a good angle.  That’s why the T200s in my bag have this shaft. 

• Driver Cobra Radspeed 10.5. Stiff HZRDS Smoke Yellow
  • 3W Cabra F8+ 14.5
  • 5W Cobra F8+ 17.5
  • Irons TM RocketBladez 4i-P
  • Wedges Kirkland Signature 52@50, 56@55, and 60
  • Putter KS1

Am an "Old Boy" & enjoy "Beaking" at The Young Guns. Want their MONEY too!!

So doing a great deal reading on "Shafts". Not hitting my new Irons like I did & having trouble grasping "The Feel".

It ain't "The Hitter!!" who is at fault. Maybe it is though!! 

Paying out to "Young Guns" really ticks me off!!

Cheers.

I’m old and use the Recoil graphite 75 g shafts. I’ve been using them for a couple years now and I like them. 

Callaway Paradym Driver and 3 woods, UST Mamiya Helium Black Nanocore shafts, senior flex. Cobra Rad Speed 5 and 7 woods with Helium senior flex shafts. Cobra Rad Speed 5 Hybrid with Recoil regular flex shaft. PW-6 irons with Recoil regular flex shafts. 48*, 52*, 58* Vokey SM8 Wedges with True Temper wedge flex shafts. All grips are Lamkin Crossline. TaylorMade Spider Putter 33.5” long with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. 

My all-time favorite shaft is the Memphis 10 that is in my Callaway s2h2 irons. I don't have a fast swing or a slow swing. This shaft seems to have been made for a tweener swing speed. 

Just for fun, I played this irons (2- LW) about 8 years ago. I would almost bet that I could hit that 6 iron today as far as I hit my stronger lofted 2019 Titleist T300 6 iron.   ...Hello, simulator?

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

NS Pro Modus 3 tour 120X.  
IMO they play in between a stiff and xstiff. 
Great for players who want some stability and feel. 

WITB

I played Recoils for several years and liked them. When I switched to senior shafts I selected Fubuki mv as they had a tighter dispersion than others. I also like the KBS PGi shafts in my wedges.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder