Callaway Edge (2021) Set vs Piecing together a set

Hi all,

True beginner, looking to begin my golf journey! I wanted to start off with used clubs to gauge my interest and save money for lessons. Trying to keep the budget around $400. I am deciding what to do for clubs.

I noticed the Callaway pre-owned Edge (2021) set that has what I need. But I am have been asking friends/family what they are able to sell. My BIL offered me a driver, 3H, 3 wedges and a putter. I would need to get irons, probably 5i-PW. I haven't been able to find any semi modern clubs that won't cost me too much.

Clubs offered:

Driver: TaylorMade M1

3H: Titleist 910H

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56 and 60 wedges

Putter: Ping (unsure of model), believe it is a bit older.

Options would be:

Edge Set ($350 + cost of bag)

Buy clubs and find irons. ($250 + cost of irons and bag.)

Would I be better off with the Edge clubs which are newer or finding some irons and buying the clubs of my BIL? The shafts would be stiff compared to regular of the Callaways.

Any help is appreciated.

I think you would be better off to piece together a set. A friend of mine started a few years ago with the Edge set, and saw almost immediate improvement when switching to a set of Cleveland irons. You could always go to a PGA Superstore, or Golf Galaxy and try some different shafts to get a better feel for what you'd need, and then keep an eye out for a nice set of used clubs.

On Facebook, I am a part of a "Golf Club Traders" group, and I regularly see solid iron sets for a few hundred dollars. You could even join a similar group, and leave a post sharing what you are looking for, and others in the group will comment on your post and share what they have available.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

7 Wood -  :callaway-small: Triple🔹20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) -  :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

If you like to experiment, then buy a small set and add clubs higher and lower lofts.  If you don't want to tinker, don't want to learn details of various equipment, how old, etc., then buy the Edge set.  I used to go to thrift stores a lot, if I find a club or even a set, buy it, try it, give it away to a school if it doesn;t work for me.  Eventually I got fitted for a 8-9-W.  I liked them so much I added the 6 and 7.  But do you really know are you reg flex or not?  never buy stiff if you know you do well with reg.  there are tons of deals in whatever is the right flex for you.  until you learn more about shaft flexes.   Callaway pre owned is a great place.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I play with a guy who uses an Edge set. It seems like the irons and wedges aren’t that bad. The driver , fairway wood and hybrid seem pretty bad. The shafts in those clubs seem to be not the best quality. He’s a bigger guy and and the ball doesn’t seem to really go very  far even when he squares one up. I would piece together a set.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

For $400, you could probably piece together a decent set. Callaway Preowned is doing up to 35% off right now, and even if you miss that sale, they constantly have good deals on great quality used clubs.

Facebook Marketplace can be your friend as well. I've seen some really good deals on full sets there over the years.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

On 5/1/2024 at 2:21 PM, Hosel_Rockets said:

I think you would be better off to piece together a set. A friend of mine started a few years ago with the Edge set, and saw almost immediate improvement when switching to a set of Cleveland irons. You could always go to a PGA Superstore, or Golf Galaxy and try some different shafts to get a better feel for what you'd need, and then keep an eye out for a nice set of used clubs.

On Facebook, I am a part of a "Golf Club Traders" group, and I regularly see solid iron sets for a few hundred dollars. You could even join a similar group, and leave a post sharing what you are looking for, and others in the group will comment on your post and share what they have available.

Thanks for the input! I tried piecing together a set but couldn't find a lot local to me and getting clubs shipped seemed to costly. I ended up buying the Edge set but will definitely upgrade down the road.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, Bossfan said:

I play with a guy who uses an Edge set. It seems like the irons and wedges aren’t that bad. The driver , fairway wood and hybrid seem pretty bad. The shafts in those clubs seem to be not the best quality. He’s a bigger guy and and the ball doesn’t seem to really go very  far even when he squares one up. I would piece together a set.

I ended up with the Edge set for the money. My plan is to upgrade however once I am more comfortable.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:57 PM, russtopherb said:

For $400, you could probably piece together a decent set. Callaway Preowned is doing up to 35% off right now, and even if you miss that sale, they constantly have good deals on great quality used clubs.

Facebook Marketplace can be your friend as well. I've seen some really good deals on full sets there over the years.

My Marketplace was pretty bare besides some older clubs or items too far from me (200+ miles). I used Callaway pre-owned for their edge set. I know the driver, fairway wood and hybrid will be something I can upgrade down the line. I wanted to save more for lessons than go all out on clubs.