Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

How do you mark your golf balls?

On 5/13/2024 at 6:25 PM, RoverRick said:

I’ve marked my ball with an inverted v and 3 dots for about 20 years.

IMG_4956.jpeg.da16d01e7f2e21fb213064ea9f06fda3.jpeg

Here is a picture from the Titleist golf ball test that shows a ball after 18 holes. You can just make out the ball marking on the left side.

When the show “Who do you think you are?” first aired in 2004, my sister and I decided to trace out family. While my mother immigrated from Germany in the 1960’s, we knew my father’s side was in Texas when it was a country. We continued the journey to learn that 10 generations ago when my 10-times great grandfather bought land from William Penn in 1681 and was instrumental in the Pennsylvania Colony. 

Going back even further my 12-times great grandfather was knighted by Elizabeth I around 1570. On his coat of arms is what is officially called “Three roundlets separated by a chevron.” 
IMG_1524.jpeg.fe09440db70c26b226b3fbf0f1c666cf.jpeg

I thought this was very cool and easily identified. 

A ball mark with a history!  That is flogging great!

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

Varying colors but I use purple a lot as a reminder of my daughter who passed away from cancer a year and a half ago.  alignment aid down the ball name.

inbound8148557834427930533.jpg

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

On 5/17/2024 at 9:38 AM, golfinnut said:

I've run into this issue way too often.  People addressing the ball without even looking at it.  I've stopped people from hitting my ball numerous times in the fairway & on the green.  This one time (at band camp ... LOL) recently, I hit one of my towering block fades to the fairway adjacent to me on the right.  Saw some guys coming down the fairway immediately stop at my ball & hit it.  I'm racing in the cart to get to him & say "I believe you just hit my ball."  "No I didn't."  "Did you even look at it before you hit it?"  "No I'm sure it's a Titleist #1."  "Ok, does it have 3 black dots on it & a black sharpie line on the side?"  "Uhhh .... "  I proceed to go get the ball that he chunked down the fairway & bring it back to him .... "See, mine has markings just as I said.  I'm sure yours isn't marked the same way is this, correct."  

I'm just astonished at the number of people that just don't look at the ball to identify it before they hit it.  So, I mark 3 dots around the number & mark over the alignment aid on the side.  Sometimes I'll even change the color around the number to Red.  So 3 Red dots.  Rarely do I see balls marked with Red & Black sharpie.  I will always be able to identify my ball vs someone else's.  

agree with this had the same thing happen to me it was not even the same Srixon ball and mine has large markings yet the moron hit my ball and not his own.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

Posted (edited)

I’ve used a simple blue dot & red dot on both sides for years. Seems most people don’t want to bother with two colors, and the few blue & red ball marks I’ve seen have been different patterns. I tried a gold marker for a while but for whatever reason it wore off very quickly so back to red & blue.

IMG_2971.jpeg

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Always with an orange and blue dot near the ball logo. Come on, I’m IlliniBill. What would you expect!  Doubles for the Bears, as well. 

IMG_1465.jpeg

Driver :taylormade-small:Taylormade R7 HT

Fairway 3 and 5 :taylormade-small: Taylormade R7 

Irons 4-PW :taylormade-small:Taylomade M2 Tour

Wedges 52 58 :callaway-small: Callaway MD

Putter :titleist-small:  Scotty Cameron  Newport 2 Select

Ball :titleist-small: Pro V-1 or AVX

IMG_1999.jpeg.8504f65aee338b9f9d2508a56e281515.jpeg

About 15 years ago following a pros advice, I began marking balls with a line through the ball alignment aid and a 90º line to one end forming a T.  The stem of the T I aim down the fairway and on my intended putting line; I use the top of the T as an alignment aid for the face of my Ping putter.  I know that I’m aimed correctly and that my putter is square to the aim line.  Since I don’t look at the ball when I make the stroke, having the ball and putter aligned correctly, I can focus on speed without wondering if I’m aimed correctly standing over the ball… I used to do that!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ever since 9/11, I've marked every golf ball I've played with four dots.  Two blue dots representing the Twin Towers and two red dots representing the Pentagon and crash site in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

MyGolfBall.jpg.04198c499d46cc8de47b11aa1e05487d.jpg

It's my way of honoring the firefighters and first responders who stepped up and were heroes on that tragic day.  I know several of them who were there, and I thank them for their service every opportunity I get!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I use to but in an early feed we talk about this subject. My earlier marks was 2 blue lines but then I realize through people joking with me that no one else did it this way and so when ball was found (in the woods, along the side of the lake) they knew it was mine.  Next some one brought out in the forum that human nature is we mark and then set on tee with the mark showing down the fairway, you would be striking the ball on the same spot on all tee shots. lol… now a fellow contributor brought up a study where it shows thru time it wears on the ball. Which goes to the original topic of how long does one use the same ball.

just when you have enough information traveling thru your head while you play here is something to think about 😁

Billy Mike 

Used to make alignment lines on my balls, but have found I stink at aiming that way lol. I'll just put a "T" on balls now.

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

2 hours ago, Billy Mike said:

I use to but in an early feed we talk about this subject. My earlier marks was 2 blue lines but then I realize through people joking with me that no one else did it this way and so when ball was found (in the woods, along the side of the lake) they knew it was mine.  Next some one brought out in the forum that human nature is we mark and then set on tee with the mark showing down the fairway, you would be striking the ball on the same spot on all tee shots. lol… now a fellow contributor brought up a study where it shows thru time it wears on the ball. Which goes to the original topic of how long does one use the same ball.

just when you have enough information traveling thru your head while you play here is something to think about 😁

I, rarely, wear out a golf ball. 🤔 However, I am ever so happy to pluck out the same ball from the 18th hole cup as I drove off the 1st tee. Of course, I continue to play it until goes AWOL and enters service of another hapless player.