Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

How do you mark your golf balls?

I've always been intrigued by how people, especially pros, mark their golf balls. For the last couple years, I've written a simple "AG" (my initials) to the top right of the ball logo. I'm a bit of a minimalist I guess.

Now, all you psychos, show off your elaborate ball markings and explain the reasoning or significance!

IMG_3486.jpg.c3e416ff81c243a64a065f5f586f3c17.jpg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

9 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I’ve marked my ball with an inverted v and 3 dots for about 20 years.

IMG_4956.jpeg.da16d01e7f2e21fb213064ea9f06fda3.jpeg

Here is a picture from the Titleist golf ball test that shows a ball after 18 holes. You can just make out the ball marking on the left side.

When the show “Who do you think you are?” first aired in 2004, my sister and I decided to trace out family. While my mother immigrated from Germany in the 1960’s, we knew my father’s side was in Texas when it was a country. We continued the journey to learn that 10 generations ago when my 10-times great grandfather bought land from William Penn in 1681 and was instrumental in the Pennsylvania Colony. 

Going back even further my 12-times great grandfather was knighted by Elizabeth I around 1570. On his coat of arms is what is officially called “Three roundlets separated by a chevron.” 
IMG_1524.jpeg.fe09440db70c26b226b3fbf0f1c666cf.jpeg

I thought this was very cool and easily identified. 

Wtf, that’s way cooler than mine. Unfair!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

I always just use a blue sharpie and make 3 dots in a triangle pattern on the two sides 90° from the logo.  No real reason behind why I chose this other than I hadn't seen it before unlike using a single red dot that I find with some frequency

Makes it easy to spot my ball as no matter how it is sitting you can usually see some blue dots.  

5 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Makes it easy to spot my ball as no matter how it is sitting you can usually see some blue dots.  

A friend, a D-3 golf coach, tells his players to mark only one side of their ball.  There will be very rare occasions when they need to lift it to ID it, but it will happen more often than if they mark both sides.  Even more rare, there are time when it will have a glob of mud on it.  You can't clean a ball when you've lifted it to ID it, but you CAN replace it in almost any orientation, per Clarification 14.2c/1.  So assuming you need to lift a ball to ID it, you ARE allowed to rotate that ball so that you're not going to make contact with the glob of mud.  No doubt this is a miniscule advantage, but it IS an advantage, and completely within the Rules.

I mark my golf balls with widely spaced black dots on each side of the number, the dots essentially under each end of the Snell Golf (or Titleist or Taylormade) logo.  No real reason, its just the way I've done it starting in the days when you used a golf pencil to kind of "drill" the dots into the balata cover.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

57 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

A friend, a D-3 golf coach, tells his players to mark only one side of their ball.  There will be very rare occasions when they need to lift it to ID it, but it will happen more often than if they mark both sides.  Even more rare, there are time when it will have a glob of mud on it.  You can't clean a ball when you've lifted it to ID it, but you CAN replace it in almost any orientation, per Clarification 14.2c/1.  So assuming you need to lift a ball to ID it, you ARE allowed to rotate that ball so that you're not going to make contact with the glob of mud.  No doubt this is a miniscule advantage, but it IS an advantage, and completely within the Rules.

I mark my golf balls with widely spaced black dots on each side of the number, the dots essentially under each end of the Snell Golf (or Titleist or Taylormade) logo.  No real reason, its just the way I've done it starting in the days when you used a golf pencil to kind of "drill" the dots into the balata cover.

Probably good advice but I don't play any competitive golf where it would probably matter.  Plus if I'm having a bad round and I've lost 2 balls or more I'll sometimes reach into my bag for a rando and start using that so I may not always remember what I have in play 😭

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

Probably good advice but I don't play any competitive golf where it would probably matter.  Plus if I'm having a bad round and I've lost 2 balls or more I'll sometimes reach into my bag for a rando and start using that so I may not always remember what I have in play 😭

Yep, there have been many times that I just blindly grab something out of the bag and I don't even know what I've hit. 

Honestly, I don't have any marking system. I play them as I get them. 

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

16 minutes ago, Manny said:

I dont mark my ball. The other 2 guys I play with have keen eyes and we know where we hit our ball and away we go.

If you get to your ball and another ball with the same make and number with no markings near yours, how do you know which one is yours? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Mine is kind of boring. I just draw a straight line above the manufacturer name. Nice and simple.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cnosil said:

If you get to your ball and another ball with the same make and number with no markings near yours, how do you know which one is yours? 

This actually happened to me, met a neighbor at my kid's lemonade stand, saw his sub70 hat and invited him to golf.  First shot of the first round together we both pulled our drives towards the water very near each other but we didn't see either land because a tree blocked our view.  Turned out we were both playing the chrome soft soccer balls and he found the first ball and claimed it was his so I kept looking for mine..... After conceding it must have gone into the drink I walked back to where he was about to hit and saw my three blue dots on the ball he was addressing.  Gave him the bad news and remember thinking who the F is this guy trying to steal my ball 🤣.  Turns out he is a great guy and we still play together regularly but was a memorable first round.

Edited by ChitownM2

Right before I retired a couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to receive many boxes of company logo balls so I just use those. At my rate I’ll probably have to buy some balls next year unless my game improves. 😛

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I don't mark mine at all. So seldom do I run across folks and we have the exact same. If it does happen, I just switch. The other easy tell for me is mine will always have a spot of mud on it.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I play the Srixon Q Star Divides and I never see anyone Else playing them so I never have to mark them. I used to use those little press on decal things but found them to be a PITA.

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

Always a blue alignment line. The line starts on both sides of the ball model name but doesn’t go through it.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I put 2 green dots above the right side of the logo. I have no idea why. I started doing it years ago. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

One orange dot on each side of the brand logo. Used to do 3 black dots until I realized one of my normal playing partners did the same thing

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Posted (edited)

I mark my golf balls with a Fluorescent Pink sharpie. Not many people use pink.  
The mark is always at the end of the ball name in a dimple, such as the Titleist below and I mark both sides.  
When using the OnCore VeroX1 ball, OnCore makes it really easy with their new logo = the O has a good space & I fill in with the pink sharpie.  Also use pink alignment line. 

Golfballmarking.jpg.3bb281e5ca3054f09aa81445a1c2254a.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg.437f4a18dccbd8d01d4bedff0f94eef9.jpg

Edited by tdroma98

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I may have been given an adult themed stencil cap as a gift. I also may have used it on balls on their last leg of life, to hit over water or on tricky tee shots where you are almost guaranteed a chance to lose it to the trees.

Mostly I don't mark mine, but on occasion will fill in a dimple at each end of the brand stamp.  On the divides,  I use a blue marker and draw a line around the circumference of the ball in-between the colors.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I don't get too fancy with my markings, usually just a dot or two next to the number.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I use three dots, either red or green. Green normally, red for provisional and then  also use Trident Align.IMG_6203.jpeg.1fb1858ae98178187be7c6b89c19852a.jpeg

WITB: Ping G430 Driver, G410 3-Wood, G410 5-Wood, G410 Hybrid, G410 Irons, Vokey SM8 Wedges & LAB Golf 2.1 Putter.

HCAP 12.5 - Member at Flixton Golf Club - Manchester, UK.

I just use a blue sharpie to fill a dimple to the right, slightly above, the manufacturer name on both sides. Simple mark but easy to spot.

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

I put my initials on the ball. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I have a moustache and glasses stamp the missus bought me as a stocking filler last year.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

I use a Srixon Z-Star XV and since no one uses a Srixon, I don’t have to mark it. Sadly, a dozen of these went from $28 to $40+ once they started being the official ball sponsor of the PGA last year. I found it and used it the day I shot an 80 (my lowest round to date). So, I wanted to keep with it and since they were fairly on the cheaper side at under $30 a dozen, I was sold. Now I can’t deny the results haha. 

- TK