Reverse Taper Putter Grip

Anyone tried these yet? 

image.png.bc461667399e5c078324118826ee55a7.png

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

I was part of GP's introduction and replaced the existing midsize pistol grip with the larger reverse taper grip. I went from 1 and 2 putting to 3 putting. After a month of use I trashed it. I'm not sure if it was the size or the grip type - but it definitively didn't work for me. Would the smaller version work? Not sure but I didn't want to take a chance. I think a lot depends on the grip size and type you currently have and the putting issues you're looking to overcome. FYI, I'm back to 1 and 2 putting with my old grip. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am curious about this type of grip. 

Currently using the stock version of the Pistolini Plus. It’s working well. Have been a long times Super Stroke guy, but so far the thinner grip is working. 🙏

Edited by KC Golf

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I was part of GP's introduction and replaced the existing midsize pistol grip with the larger reverse taper grip. I went from 1 and 2 putting to 3 putting. After a month of use I trashed it. I'm not sure if it was the size or the grip type - but it definitively didn't work for me. Would the smaller version work? Not sure but I didn't want to take a chance. I think a lot depends on the grip size and type you currently have and the putting issues you're looking to overcome. FYI, I'm back to 1 and 2 putting with my old grip. 

I'm curious, how do you grip the putter? Lead hand low or normal? I grip lead hand low & it seems to work fine for me. But it does seem any better than my old Superstroke midsized. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

Being a lefty,  I grip it with my left hand low. I think part of the issue is the size, the other is the diameter at the bottom of the grip. One of my putters has a SS Traxion 1.0 Flat and the other putter a midsize pistol grip. Both feel very comfortable in my hands (XL glove) vs the GP Reverse taper.  I was sold on it because I use MCC+4 with 3 1/2 wraps of tape on my wedges which I choke down a lot on - I thought the reverse taper would have the same benefit.   FYI I also bought it as mentioned with the intro offer - if I had tried it in the store I would have probably passed on it. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I also grip left hand low, but being a righty, that's my lead hand. Putting, more than any other golf stroke, is highly individualized so it doesn't surprise me there are so many variations of grips. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

I went to Dicks to get a new SS grip for my putter.  I had the one I wanted, then saw the reverse taper.  I pulled it out of the package and had that immediate sense that it felt better to me.  Put the SS back and bought the reverse taper and have absolutely no regrets.  I also putt left hand low and this grip just seems to fit that technique, for me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this party, but I've literally just had a Pistol large fitted to my Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 - replacing the genuine Pistolini Plus (blown off). Feels good in the hand and will try and get some thoughts together after a few putts this morning. Anyone know if there's a specific thread going for this?

Photo 14-8-2024, 07 06 18.jpg

:ping-small: G430 10K Driver - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.5 65g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: G430 Max 5-wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.5 70g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: G430 4-Hybrid - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.0 HY 80g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: i230 UW-6 Irons Blue Dot 1/2” Longer - True Temper 120 S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: i530 5-4 Irons Blue Dot 1/2" Longer - True Temper S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: s159 54 & 58 Blue Dot 1/2" Wedges - True Temper S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:scotty-cameron-1:Squareback 2  - GP Reverse Taper Pistol Large
:ping-small: Hoofer stand bag
:titleist-small: ProV1 preferred - but highly impressed by 2024 TaylorMade TP5x balls!
Garmin Epix Gen 2 + CT10 Sensors + Approach Z30

Unsure if there is a specific thread on this grip, but I know that @Tom the Golf Nut has one on his putter and has numerous rounds with it, and possibly he may see this and add his perspective here.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

5 hours ago, Ollie Sharp said:

Late to this party, but I've literally just had a Pistol large fitted to my Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 - replacing the genuine Pistolini Plus (blown off). Feels good in the hand and will try and get some thoughts together after a few putts this morning. Anyone know if there's a specific thread going for this?

Photo 14-8-2024, 07 06 18.jpg

That's the one I was curious about, hope it works for you.

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

On 8/14/2024 at 8:48 PM, RTH1 said:

That's the one I was curious about, hope it works for you.

Feels good in the hands so far, so I’m confident!

Had a quick putt this morning. Took a few strokes to get used to it, in a sense. Also the practice green I was on was wet and slower than I’m used to. Last three putts from about 16ft or so got really close to the hole. Was happy with that level of feel consistency straight out of the gate (break was right to left and relatively flat).

Photo 14-8-2024, 07 07 35.jpg

Photo 14-8-2024, 07 07 42.jpg

Edited by Ollie Sharp
Images on original upload were corrupted (only showing black)

:ping-small: G430 10K Driver - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.5 65g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: G430 Max 5-wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.5 70g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: G430 4-Hybrid - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Red 6.0 HY 80g - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: i230 UW-6 Irons Blue Dot 1/2” Longer - True Temper 120 S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: i530 5-4 Irons Blue Dot 1/2" Longer - True Temper S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:ping-small: s159 54 & 58 Blue Dot 1/2" Wedges - True Temper S300 - Lamkin Crossline Mid
:titleist-small: ProV1 preferred - but highly impressed by 2024 TaylorMade TP5x balls!

3 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Unsure if there is a specific thread on this grip, but I know that @Tom the Golf Nut has one on his putter and has numerous rounds with it, and possibly he may see this and add his perspective here.

I’m not one to change putters or putter grips often. Before the Cobra Challenge I had an Odyssey Marksman Fang in the bag since it came out. I’m guessing at least 8 years ago. I only changed the grip when one got worn out. When I was involved with the Cobra Challenge I did not like the grip that the putter came with. So I swapped it out with a pistol Sniper Grip ( Temu Special). Similar to a Superstroke until the Reverse Taper Grip was available. I got it right before the Kingsmill outing and I installed the large round version. No regrets at all. I mean right before the trip not a lot of time to even get used to it.

We all were part of the lowest amount of putts per a designated round challenge at Kingsmill and I came in with 28 putts which won me a Sacks Parente Drac putter. So, I do very much like the Reverse Taper putter grip.

Now it gets complicated. The Sacks Parente Drac putter is in the bag. But the balancing of the putter is critical to the performance.  It has an ultra low balance point. The grip is ultra light and the shaft is graphite. I can’t put on a large reverse taper without messing up the balance of the putter. So I’m trying to get used to its stock grip. 
I can pretty much adapt to anything but the Reverse Taper grip just felt great and performed right out of the gate for me. It’s still on my Cobra. 
When the time comes to replace the Drac’s grip I’ll go back to the RT and figure out how to rebalance or maybe Sacks Parente will have their own version.

Sacks Parente grip is 33 grams

Golf Pride Reverse Taper large round is 63 grams.

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut
Added weights

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 11:41 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’m not one to change putters or putter grips often. Before the Cobra Challenge I had an Odyssey Marksman Fang in the bag since it came out. I’m guessing at least 8 years ago. I only changed the grip when one got worn out. When I was involved with the Cobra Challenge I did not like the grip that the putter came with. So I swapped it out with a pistol Sniper Grip ( Temu Special). Similar to a Superstroke until the Reverse Taper Grip was available. I got it right before the Kingsmill outing and I installed the large round version. No regrets at all. I mean right before the trip not a lot of time to even get used to it.

We all were part of the lowest amount of putts per a designated round challenge at Kingsmill and I came in with 28 putts which won me a Sacks Parente Drac putter. So, I do very much like the Reverse Taper putter grip.

Now it gets complicated. The Sacks Parente Drac putter is in the bag. But the balancing of the putter is critical to the performance.  It has an ultra low balance point. The grip is ultra light and the shaft is graphite. I can’t put on a large reverse taper without messing up the balance of the putter. So I’m trying to get used to its stock grip. 
I can pretty much adapt to anything but the Reverse Taper grip just felt great and performed right out of the gate for me. It’s still on my Cobra. 
When the time comes to replace the Drac’s grip I’ll go back to the RT and figure out how to rebalance or maybe Sacks Parente will have their own version.

Sacks Parente grip is 33 grams

Golf Pride Reverse Taper large round is 63 grams.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I pulled the trigger on a Large Pistol shape Reverse Taper. And I’m already seeing improvements in my putting.

I tried to write up a review and submit some images but the forum keeps thinking my feedback submission is spam and rejects the post. Any ideas on how to successfully submit the post?