Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Polarizing Products In Golf

Based on some of the comments of the old guys I get paired with, brightly colored golf balls. I sometimes play a Q-star divide, or a red e12. People are either fascinated or make fun of them. Least polarizing of the balls I use is the tour response stripe. 

Guys my age seem divided on the five hybrid. I get asked about mine when I hit a nice shot, and a lot of golfers are disappointed when they hear the answer.

Aesthetics and personalization seems to be a hotter take as of late. Bags are flashier, shoes are flashier, balls are getting designs, fashion is a thing, personal taste is now being considered a lot more now than it use to be in the past. With so much personalization and normalization of individuality, maybe we will soon see iron covers and visors in a better light 🤣

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

Any wedge over 60 degrees. Doesn’t matter the brand. Just completely useless. Face and loft control can get a 56 to play way past 70 degrees , if necessary. 

Photographer, snowboarder, car enthusiast, total hack

I agree. I really resent someone else getting to inflict their music choices on me. Use earbuds! Hate to resort to sound wars, but there are days when I want louder speakers to drown them out. But I don't want to be a bigger A**hole. Think about courtesy, fellow golfers.

1 hour ago, SKMGolfer said:

Agreed 100%.  I want the game to grow but I still want the young guys to respect it.

How about the USGA/R&A ball roll back?  It's been dormmate for a while, but you know it's going to rear its ugly head sooner versus later.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2 minutes ago, DanJ33 said:

Any wedge over 60 degrees. Doesn’t matter the brand. Just completely useless. Face and loft control can get a 56 to play way past 70 degrees , if necessary. 

The 64º wedge in the Cleveland SSFF short game set is actually quite easy to hit from greenside bunkers for those who struggle with that shot.  

Sand saves aren't the realistic goal for many recreational players.
They just want to use a putter for the next shot.
Sometimes, the putt will drop.

Also, for me, a 56 needs to be very low bounce to play laid open from a tight grass lie.  
I suppose it can be done, but I can't do it.

Building off a different topic from the last few days... shaft PUREing 

And fittings at Club Champion -- always fun to watch those threads

Edited by ChiefMikeOfficer

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Repairing pitch marks. Sad, but true on my home course…

• Titleist 913D3 8.5@9.25
  • 913F 15@16.5
  • 917F 21
  • 816H2 23
  • T200-5, T150-6, T100S 7-P. +0,5"/2up (PW@45)
  • SM4 50-12F +0,75"/2up, 54-11M +1"/1.5up  / 58-12M +1,25"/1up
  • Cobra Agera 30, 35"

Golf course customer service. 

There's an expectation that when we play golf that courses will treat us as valuable customers versus an annoyance.   

A few months ago, a friend and I were playing in Las Vegas.  The first course we played couldn't have been nicer and made sure our experience was excellent (even though there couldn't have been more than 20 people on the course).  They constantly stopped by asked if we needed water (it was free along with an ice chest to keep it cold).  The staff was pleasant and were dedicated to making that round something special.  The next day we played another course closer to the city.  We were treated like we were the enemy!  No water on the course and it was about $7 a bottle to buy.  The entire staff looked at us as a necessary evil and laughed when we had some concerns.  We couldn't have two more extreme experiences than on those two days.  

Bringing politics to the golf course.  Can we please just have four hours where we don't have to be exposed to either side?!

8 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I kind of like leaving the pin in with a steeply downhill thirty footer,
putting toward a false front on a Stimp thirteen green!

I agree, it's situational. My course has super thick pins that just bounce balls off, so it's not even worth it downhill.

Andrew Bedford

Chicago, Illinois

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

Definitely iron head covers.

For whatever reason, the discussion of iron head covers always brings out the arguments. It's not ugly here, but on other boards it's been a very ugly topic with so many "keyboard hero's" throwing around their ugliness for no real reason.

Like others have said, things change. I've used iron covers for travel most of my life being sure to remove them as I took them out to play, just to keep the ridicule to a minimum. I was at a charity scramble a few weeks ago and saw several of the Millennial crowd proudly rocking them, including my nephew. When I asked him about them, he sighted everything from protecting his new beauties to hating the clanging as the cart rolled over bumps. Surprised the heck out of me!!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

Autoflex shafts are interesting.  I was fitted with one at a Five Iron Golf location and I added almost 30 yards off the tee.  Dead straight bombs that I haven't hit since my 20s.  Trouble is that I can't afford an $800 shaft.  So yeah, it's not hype in my case but it is a gold plated unicorn.

I am completely sold on colored golf balls.  My ophthalmologist recommended them a couple of years ago and while I still have a great deal of trouble seeing a ball on a cloudy day I can find them much more easily than white balls.

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Max-D 9 degree

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Soft spike shoes.  Still don't believe metal spikes cause that much damage.

Callaway Paradym X 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Paradym 3+ wood

Callaway Paradym 3/4/5 hybrid

Mizuno 923JPX irons 6-W AMT Black R300

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

12 minutes ago, MIGregB said:

Like others have said, things change. I've used iron covers for travel most of my life being sure to remove them as I took them out to play, just to keep the ridicule to a minimum. I was at a charity scramble a few weeks ago and saw several of the Millennial crowd proudly rocking them, including my nephew. When I asked him about them, he sighted everything from protecting his new beauties to hating the clanging as the cart rolled over bumps. Surprised the heck out of me!!

At a very young age, my dad taught me to take care of the things I own, which is also why I park WAY out in BFE when I go shopping or whatever because so many people don't care about their cars and scratches and stuff.

I used to use the giant Castle Bay covers, because that's what dad used. Now I have much smaller and lighter neoprene covers that I can slip in and out of my pocket as I play each club. But it's all about preserving my clubs and their looks for as long as possible, because clubs are so expensive now. People can say what they want about it, I've stopped caring.

I traded in a set of 12 year old Pings back in 2020, and they looked better than 90% of the used clubs at GG that were less than 5 years old.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

19 minutes ago, mongo312 said:

Soft spike shoes.  Still don't believe metal spikes cause that much damage.

You have never seen someone drag their feet across a green with metal spiked shoes, I have, it is bad.

20 minutes ago, cthoma11 said:

Iron Covers, 14 way tops on bags.

Full length dividers are mostly popular on cart bags that you're not schlepping around.  
They array the clubs in a pleasing way.
More importantly, you see immediately if you left a club on the course.

My bag has fifteen dividers counting the putter well, and to be honest, I hate empty slots!
Regardless of that, I couldn't get used to not having them anymore.

As for iron covers, I even throw wood and putter covers into the garment pocket after I take them off the first time.
After the round, I put them back.

My clubs may be regarded as expensive tools or as expensive toys...but never as Faberge eggs. 
I'm not thinking of resale value when I'm trying to enjoy a round of golf. 
I collect rather than trade-in most of my old sets anyway.

1 minute ago, hoppman said:

You have never seen someone drag their feet across a green with metal spiked shoes, I have, it is bad.

I admit to missing steel spikes as well.  
Soft spikes practically make me fall down.  
I hate them.
I have to play spikeless now.

Just now, RetiredBoomer said:

I admit to missing steel spikes as well.  
Soft spikes practically make me fall down.  
I hate them.
I have to play spikeless now.

Same reason I hated metal baseball spikes, they are slippery on concrete. I don't miss metal spikes for one second. I prefer spikeless but have some soft spikes for when I play wet courses, some spikeless are better than others.

There there were the metal spikes that would corrode and rust and be frozen in the screw holes if you didn't put some kind of lube on them. I cringe everytime I hear a pro wearing metal spikes on tv and the announcers getting al nostalgic about the sound of "nails".

spam drop down???

I had to write the "spam drop down" above to get around a notification of that somehow I'm spaming when I write the below actual comment.

Smoking - somehow folks that smoke are always upwind of me and ALWAYS assume that tossing their leavings on the ground is not really litter.

Edited by JoeLafives

Sim2 MaxD, Cobra F7 3W, Ping G400 5W, Ping G425 7W, Ping G410 5-UW, Volkey SM-9 54,58, Odyssey two ball fang putter (this changes periodically)

That may or may not be good or bad.

Playing a 9 or 7 wood if you're not a senior.

Playing a round with Mary Jane here in California.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have a guy  that I regularly play with that has iron covers but doesn't put the covers back on his driver and woods during a round after he uses them.  What!?

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

Dress code - Shorts vs Pants is a classic that I think is silly. Wear shorts if you want. I also am pro joggers. I recognize I’m newer to the sport and did t grow up with that “tradition” but I think joggers look fine as long as they aren’t sweat pants. 

Also the shirt tucked vs untucked shouldn’t matter. With that said I’m not a member at a private course and have never played anything “fancy” so the dress code is very lax most places I go. Could also be where I live (Denver is pretty chill) but I’d say 75% of golfers I see are untucked. As long as I what you’re wearing doesn’t look bad it shouldn’t matter. 

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter