Should golf courses have a warm up hole?

I've played a course with a warmup hole (Hole Zero) and a course with a 19th Hole (to break ties as management said), and both had their upside.  For the moment I’ll put aside the increased cost of maintenance which, of course, gets passed on to us in higher fees.

Hole Zero got me into game mode in a way that hitting range balls couldn’t (yes, I hit a few balls on the range to start and a few putts on the practice green).  As @Tom the Golf Nut pointed out, you are using your usual ball under conditions that are the same as the course you are playing — fairway cut, rough height, green speed.  The par-3 19th Hole was somewhat different in style from the other 18 (more pronounced slope/undulations on greens, more bunkering, etc.) but served its purpose as a tie-breaker (if needed) or just a fun challenge at the end of the round.  Both holes could be skipped.  I saw no one skip Hole Zero and only the most drunk skip the 19th Hole (usually at the suggestion of the marshal).

I think most of us are unlikely to run into course(s) that offer either of these options unless we belong to a very private club or are paying to play a very high end resort course.  I’m lucky to enough to have a membership that includes two different style courses about 20 minutes apart.  Both of these courses are public and get heavy play from both locals and traveling golfers.  Both are used for extensive Junior programs and group/single lessons.  Both have driving ranges that are extensively used and chewed up.  Neither has a practice bunker.  The course I play most often does not allow chipping at the main practice green.  For me, having a full-length Hole Zero would be worth a few extra bucks on my membership.  

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Great topic! Really like the idea, but .. how many courses could actually do this? And implement it so those who do not want "Hole 0" can easily get to #1...

Also, in re: first tee jitters - wouldn't Hike #1 .. after Hole 0 .. still be your first "real" hole, ie with consequences for a not so good tee shot..?

Anyway, related - wife and I were recently at a course in Western PA, Totteridge, that has an extensive practice facility that includes an approx 150 yd practice hole! Grass tee are with yardage markers to the elevated green.

It's adjacent to the separate chipping green, which is adjacent to the large grass range.

If more courses had the space, and budget, to set up more comprehensive practice areas like this then that could be a big plus for getting prepped for your round.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

On 8/25/2024 at 12:21 PM, Off Map Oscar said:

I've been saying this since I started golfing.  18 is too much for a casual day. 9 isn't enough. Golf outside competition should be 13 holes and hole 1 or Zero is a par 5 warm up that doesn't count. 

Work thru the bag a little. Then start 12 hole play. 

Brilliant. And totally agree on the 12 Hole course idea - which could, hopefully!, have shorter total round times .. plus possibly attract the more casual / family or just out for fun and beers players, ie off of the regulation 18 hole courses.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

I like the idea of this. I have always appreciated a good practice and warm up area. I also understand why many courses do not have this.

Taking this one step further, I believe that if a course is hosting any type of competition (at any level), it should have a standard range and warm up area. For some reason, I have come in contact with a lot of competitive players to tell me that the course does not have a range.  If I am the person, deciding the location of a course, that should be a prerequisite

thoughts? 

Driver: :callaway-small:  Epic Max LX
Fairway:  :titelist-small: TSi3
Hybrid:  
image.png.a33451d0fe433de01b81fccc7a6c97a3.png Stealth 2; 3 hybrid
Irons:  
image.png.a33451d0fe433de01b81fccc7a6c97a3.png P770, 2020 (P-7) P790, 2023 (6-4)
Wedge: :titelist-small: SM8 50, 54, 58 Tour Chrome
Putter:   :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar
Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x (ProV1x Left Dash)

I was a member at Camden Valley in South Sydney which is a 27 hole course, they have a practice area where you can get practice balls which you have to pickup. You can use your own balls which I did plus a bunker you could hit UpTo 5 iron depends on your distance, I enjoyed that golf club but it was a 30-45 mins drive dependant on traffic so I moved to Liverpool 10mins drive but prefer Camden Valley 😊

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

If the course has the room an excellent idea with a short practice hole. Ours has no easy range availability. I wish they would at least put up a net hitting system near by to allow for warm up hits.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I dont think golf needs a warm up hole but I do believe that as expensive as courses have gotten they should give you a small bucket of ball if you arrive to the course at least 30 min before your tee time. When you are paying 70 to play a public city owned course it is just a price grab to charge an additional $8 for a bucket of 20 balls. Just my opinion. 

Driver Callaway: Ai Smoke triple diamond

3&5 wood : Callaway Mavrick 

Callaway 21 UW

Irons: Callaway Rogue Pro 4-pw 

52 56 60: Callaway Jaws 

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball tour filled and recently added Jailbird Mini 

Ball: Titleist Pro V

If a course has room for hole zero, just make a range, if they have a range and still room, make a short game area.

My idea of a "warm up" hole is an easy starting hole. Par 4, straightish, shortish(driver flip wedge) not driveable as not to hinder pace of play. No water, no OB, wide driver landing zone. Larger green with little undulation (compared the rest of course).

Thought process... it's real so the nerves are there but with very limited "negative" pre-shot thoughts. (Avoid the water, don't block it right etc.) You can hopefully get your par and feel confident moving forward. 

With an index of 8(currently) on days I wake up "feeling good" and wanna score. I find a bogie on the first is a buzz kill, even though I'm going to get 5-8 throughout the day. If I let my mind slip it can ruin the round. I've also been in this position and stuffed a chip or drained a bomb for birdie and found myself high stepping to the 2nd tee ready to conquer the rest of the course.

Driver Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 w/ VA Composites Rajin 64

3W Mizuno ST-Z 15 w/ VA Composites Rajin 74

3H Mizuno CLK Hybrid 19 w/ VA Composites Rajin 84

4H Mizuno CLK Hybrid 22 w/ VA Composites Rajin 84

5i-PW Cobra Forged Tec w/ KBS C-Taper LITE Stiff

50, 54, 58 Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Taylormade Spider X

As much as I'd love a warm up hole, as most of the courses I play don't have a range to warm up at, it takes me 4-6 holes to really get in the groove. Maybe they can just change the hole numbers to start with hole 6 and I'll play better from the start lol.

My home course has an excellent range - but if you tee off first thing in the morning it’s usually closed which is a major bummer. I’ll go shag my own balls, hit them back to the tee line w a wedge - which is fine. But it’s a bummer when it’s being mowed and they’ve picked it so you can’t do anything. I know, I know, it has to be mowed sometime… Noon sounds good to this dew sweeper. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 8/23/2024 at 12:47 PM, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Pulled right from my Instagram feed. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_BS1pTOLow/?igsh=MXN4ZjJ6d2pmMTZlZw==

I find this idea interesting, in that could a warm up hole take the place of the ubiquitous small bucket of balls I currently hit prior to each round at my home course. Would it be enough to feel loosened up and ready for the actual round? Is this an impractical way to help those that get nervous on the first tee? If one plays the warm up hole poorly, how does that transition to the first tee? What say you?

@GolfSpy_BEN You ever birdie the first hole and then go on to not have another birdie the rest of the round? I've done this many times the past year lol. This immediately came to mind when I saw the discussion header.

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

3 minutes ago, CorporateGolfRat said:

@GolfSpy_BEN You ever birdie the first hole and then go on to not have another birdie the rest of the round? I've done this many times the past year lol. This immediately came to mind when I saw the discussion header.

The curse of the first hole birdie is alive and well...

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned up 1°  w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S with DG S300

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Yea I wish more course have Warm up holes. 

But on a non busy days. 
I would take extra mulligans before I would tee off. Just swing few balls in the fairways with some irons. 

I hate golf!

On 8/26/2024 at 12:25 PM, cksurfdude said:

If more courses had the space, and budget, to set up more comprehensive practice areas like this then that could be a big plus for getting prepped for your round.

I suspect most of the supporters here of practice holes are assuming it won't cost players any more, and that finding additional space (without cannibalizing ranges and other practice areas) isn't any problem...

There is no advantage to practice holes over a driving range and practice chip/putting greens. You can be completely prepared with either, but let's utilize what we already have - ranges and practice greens.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

On 8/23/2024 at 1:13 PM, slash25rc said:

I need a warm up 9. I'm historically going 49-39 at my course. 

I too find my second 9 5-10 strokes less even if I have 1/2 to 1 hour warm up, must be in the brain not the physical warming up?

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver

:honma: 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

7 minutes ago, sglj3 said:

I too find my second 9 5-10 strokes less even if I have 1/2 to 1 hour warm up, must be in the brain not the physical warming up?

I think you're onto something! Perhaps physically warming up and mentally warming up are two different things. Back 9 always seems to have better approaches, chips, fewer putts, less aggressive mistakes off the tee, fewer intrusive swing thoughts etc. Might have to start doing some crossword puzzles or Sudoku before I even hit the range. I think nerves and such can also play a factor if in a group or at a new course--if on vacation or a weekend, by the back 9 if its after 11am, I usually have had around 2 beers which tends to loosen up body, mind, and soul 😂 

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver; Graphite Design Tour AD-VF 6 S/ IZ 5 S

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3HL 16.5: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

default_ping-small.jpg G430 7w: Ping Chrome 75 S

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png.c582defdbf30afbfc6daaed45594990e.pngGen 2 0811 4H: Fujikura Pro 85 S

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg TSR2 5H: Project X HZRDS Red 85 S

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png.70d0971d1cb119b4c524ed52223a24c4.png 0211 DC 6-G: KBS TGI 80 S

Cleveland.jpg.b864b0bf721691b75cd50b9ee634890e.jpg.b6dc20b7fb31f49c6385d2e9299c52ec.jpg CBX 54: Rotex Wedge; CBX2 Zipcore 58: Project X Catalyst Spinner 80 

Screenshot2024-06-20102640.png.8ddd17fe8171208d828937758e6ebd54.png M.Craft OMOI Type 06

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg  ProV1x ; Linksmaster Bag

1.  Land is expensive.  And in some cases not in close proximity to the club.

2.  Another hole for the grounds crew to maintain ($$).

3.  The players that are historically last minute arrivals will not utilize it.

4.  If the “warm up” hole is a par 4 how many shots will be taken?

5.  If the course presently has a range and putting green will that be removed?  Or kept and maintained as well as the course?

6.  The players that chip, putt and hit a bucket before the round are already warmed up!  

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

I don’t know how this works at the new course called Cabot farms but the Old World Woods course had a 3 hole warm up course that you could play rather than using the driving range - each hole was an homage to Pinehurst 2 

It was must try golf - I loved it. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

A Warmup hole is a great Idea, but if no warmup hole ( size constraints on courses) A breakfast ball should definitely be common practice if playing for fun.  Sometimes our nerves get the best of us, and we all know the second guy/gal is always better!  We are out there to have fun, make some amazing, and not so amazing shots, but overall have a good time with great people. On the topic of a warmup hole, It could even be a simple 120 yard par 3 leading up to the first tee that people can be optional.  something to think about for sure. 

GolferZak

On 8/24/2024 at 6:59 AM, bricksandbirdies said:

This will probably be a hot take, but with the game drastically growing as it has, and not always necessarily for the better, that would just add more time onto rounds, more work for the groundskeepers, and I don’t believe would necessarily benefit in the long run.

I completely agree with this. Some people will take full advantage of the warm up hole and will hit several shots. This would likely cause a major backup. I like the idea of an optional free small bucket (10-15 balls) that you can either choose to use or not. 

Driver- Cobra LTDx 9*

Woods- Callaway Epic

Hybrid- Taylormade Sim2 max

Irons- Callaway Rogue

Wedges- Vokey SM7

Putter- Tour Edge

Ball- Maxfli tour

On 8/29/2024 at 9:13 AM, chris51 said:

sometimes my best scores are from not warming up .. when I warm out start to overthink everything I do and I get into my own head .If you can't get done at driving range thing there's still probly issue in your swing . 

That is very true. I recently played my best Score.
i came to the course without caring about anything..
but just to play some golf with friends.

not thinking about swing change or tempo or anything. Just hitting the ball.

came back with my best score ever.

I hate golf!

On 8/26/2024 at 3:02 AM, Bang60 said:

I agree golf is 18 holes but think some like me want to warm up first, many times I've arrived just in time to Tee off with my group and 9 times outa 10 had a lousy day 😕 much prefer 15-20 mins to calm down and get in a Putt at least but prefer doing my warm up first. At least I then enjoy the day Win Lose or draw 👏

I very much agree. Weekday rounds are always a mad rush to finish work and race to the course to try and squeeze a round in. Warm up time becomes non-existent more often than not. The one hole to clear the mind of stress and relax a bit would do wonders personally. To be fair though, it would not take the place of a proper warm up session which I would prefer every time.

I am brand agnostic. If it is in my bag it is because it works for me...

Several comments caught my attention since I played a course in Fredricksburg,Virginia that did have a par 4 pre-game hole. I thought that it was a great idea at first, but it certainly added to the time required to play the round for the day. Based on this experience, our 4some suggested that this warm-up be strictly monitored for playing time. No more than 20 minutes per 4some. After the 20 minutes maximum, you must pick-up your ball and move to the 1st hole. Another requirement was the all players used a powered golf cart. The cart rental was included in the green fee price. There was a driving range also. Players were not required to hit range balls or play the warm-up hole. This sometime led to tee time confusion and definitely required additional communications between the Pro Shop and the first tee (Hole # 1) starter. By including the extra staff time required to maintain the extra hole and extra marshals to keep players adhering to their tee times, of course, the green fee costs were very high relative to other nearby courses. As an aside, this course also had a par 6, 700 yard hole on the back 9. My opinion is that all the extras, including the high green fee cost made this unique design not a feasible option for most players or courses.

P.A. Renaud - Driver - Mizuno STX 230 

Irons - Taylormade Stealth 5 to Sand wedge

Putter - Taylormade Spider GTX

70 years old - disabled due to accident in Albania during 30 years service in Canadian Army.

Donator/Veteran

Broken 80 several times

A lot of guys use the breakfast ball "rule" on the first hole. That can help a bit if no time or facility to warm up. 

Otherwise, make the fitst hole the warm up hole and only count next 17. Scores should come down 😉