Getting comfortable with a LAB Putter

cburins

Hey Spies,

Just a background on my putter history - Ive used Odyssey Putters my entire life. Starting with the Odyssey Crimson Series 550, then White Hot Pro Rossie and Currently The Odyssey Versa Jailbird. 

I love everything about LAB Putters and the technology behind it, but I just can't find my feel with the putter. My putts 9 times out of 10 start on line and roll end over end, but I feel uncomfortable with it and tend to blow putts past the hole or leave them short. 

Personally, it's a huge shift from the Odyssey urethane face to the LAB face. I find I have way more control with my Jailbird and average 1.7-1.9 PPH. With the LAB I average 2.0, which is a huge jump in score for me. The LAB doesn't feel as receptive and informative as the Odyssey. Ive also looked into changing the grip to the one I have on my Odyssey, but I can't because the weight of the grip with unbalance my putter. 

If anyone has struggled with this and turned it around I would love to know how you adjusted. I understand it will take time and I don't want to give up on the LAB just yet. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

I would be very interested in the responses. I also play an odyssey currently but love the concept and feel of the LAB MEZZ 1.

It's a significant purchase and Im hesitant to pull the trigger.

WITB:

Titleist TSR2

Titleist TSR2 18* hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore RTX 50*

Titleist Vokey 52*

Titleist Vokey 56*

Odyssey White Hot #7 34in

I'm curious if you went through the L.A.B fitting and had your club built to your specifics, or was this an off the shelf purchase? I know there was a post in another topic that mentioned sending the club in for further configuration, but not too sure on your specific situation.

That being said, I too struggled a bit to acclimate distances with my LAB 2.1 Broomstick. About 6 rounds in with it, I still find myself falling just short on a few putts. I also find myself hitting my target line WAY more than I use to and virtually eliminated my tendency to twist my wrists. I feel it will definitely help to continue to adjust to the putter and not lose faith. More often than not, I hear folks fight with their LAB rather than let the LAB do its thing and try to force a swing or face interaction.

I too was an Odyssey fan boy for the longest time. I do not regret my transition and have embraced the 2.1.

Edited by Chux13

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

If you search the forum you will find people that saw improvement with their LAB putters and others that saw no improvement or worse performance.  I personally have tried LAB putters and found my putting worse after months on the bag.  Swapped it out and my putting has gotten better.  

the simple answer will be based on how much you practice and work on the various putting skills.   You mention distance control as your only issue, how much practice are you doing to work on that skill? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I Tested a MEZZ.1 three years ago and it’s my mainstay putter.  It is not going anywhere and to provide a succinct reply, it makes my bad putting days good.  

It took me some time to become comfortable but that’s all effort.  I’ve learned where it belongs in my stance and since putting it in play, it’s become so easy for me.  

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/