#31 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thats what I'm hoping for. With a ball speed ratio up from 1.42 to 1.45, I think I can deal with it. Mike had it set to 8.75* when I was hitting it and with that Speeder, I was hitting it between 6.5*-12.1*.

Matt, did you hit the Covert Tour? If so, how did it stack up against the R1?

Yes, I hit the Covert Tour with the Matrix Black Tie shaft. I was averaging about 289-297 with the Covert Tour on the launch monitor. The R1 with the TP Phenom was in it's own category. My worst drive with the R1 was 302, the best 319. That was 8.75 and 2 degrees open. I am also skeptical of those launch monitor yardages. The fitter told me it was accurate within 3 yards but that seems farther than I normally hit it with those yardages. Maybe I turned into a Manimal this winter, I dunno!?!?
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#32 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: CARLSBAD

• Members

• 11,001 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:6.0

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx   all number 8's with revkev logo

#33 JBones

JBones

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Handicap:3.5

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

#34 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationGalveston
  • Handicap:9.7

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

WOW....there really are a boatload of good choices out there this year!

In my bag, May 2018
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 10.5˚ Paderson Shaft (Regular Flex)
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 14˚ Fujikura Fuel Shaft (Regular Flex)
Adams Super 9031 18˚ Hybrid - Diamana D+ Shaft - (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS C-Taper Shafts (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  T4 Wedges 50˚,54˚,58˚ KBS C-Taper Shafts (Tiger Stepped)
 Evnroll ER2 Putter

:titelist-small:  ProV1 Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 9.6

#35 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 11,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input JBones there are any number of guys here whom I enjoy hearing from on a myriad of topics - you're one of them.

I like my R11 but would agree about the harshness of its feel and sound. I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

#36 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

I think this is where the shaft and head really work together. With the Motore Speeder, I no longer worry about missing dispersion wise (given it's not a horrible swing), so it came down to misses on the face. Misses on the face of the R1 were way longer than any other driver I hit. You should give it a try, the ball speed difference is amazing.

#37 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

• Members

• 4,238 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

The loss of ball speed is something I've heard from many people now, but I haven't tested myself, now I'm starting to wonder if I really should pick up an Xtreme :rolleyes:

#38 whiskey golf

whiskey golf

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

I don't play TMAG drivers but I've tried both the R11s and the R1. The R11s didn't feel good at all but I have to admit, the R1 felt decent but I still can't get over the crown graphics.

#39 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Rev, I haven't been able to take it to the course yet. I have been working alot of extra hours of late. I will chime in after I can game it but my intital thought is that it feels like it "springs" off the face. Felt better than everything else I hit and the numbers showed.
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#40 Max F

Max F

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

#41 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

#42 Max F

Max F

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

Well that all makes sense. I didn't realize the Speeders were running that much $. Glad it wouldn't fit me. Wouldn't want that temptation. :)

I've found that the good fitters will usually work with you on price if they can. They want their customers fit well and satisfied. Any profit they sacrifice on one transaction is easily made up when word of mouth brings them new customers.

Thanks for the good write up. Now folks will know what they should expect from a proper fitting by a professional.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

#43 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 11,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Alright so JBones and Matt have convinced me to give the R1 a try whenever I get the chance - perhaps the Easter bunny will come through and give me a few bucks - actually I'll start the season with my R11 and after I'm done with all the weddings and have some scratch in the bank give the R1 a spin.

Thanks for both of your input.

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

#44 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Rev. The ballspeed difference is amazing and I don't think I even flushed one when I was hitting it. I'm going to order mine, as soon as my shaft comes in.

#45 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 11,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Rev. The ballspeed difference is amazing and I don't think I even flushed one when I was hitting it. I'm going to order mine, as soon as my shaft comes in.

Yeah well that changed today because my wife lost her job. So......... I think I love my current equipment so much that it's going to carry me through this season quite nicely thank you very much. :(

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates