Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ben Hogan Irons from Eidolon Golf

jbil8802

That's about as good as a reaction as you can get!

I wanna be held...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John are you cutting back?  I only saw two waggles!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

@ Barbajo nice swing on that one - what loft were you hitting?

@ Zeasy - me - I was fit by my pro - Of course that limited me to Nike/Wilson/Mizuno/Tour Exotics but if you can't get you want out of those four brands?  Why wouldn't I want to be fit by him?  He knows my swing and he knows me.  We had a lengthy discussion because he wanted me in the MP54's.  When I explained that I like my irons to be ever ready and don't care about added feel/workability plus was concerned with budget we quickly settled in on Wilson c100's.  We took 3 sessions on the shaft/head combo just to be certain - these were in effect uncharged lessons.  I'm sure I got have found the clubs that I purchased cheaper via ebay or at a big box but I would never have settled into the shaft/head combo that we found and I would never have had 4 free lessons - the 3 fitting sessions and the 1 when the clubs came in.

Frankly I don't know why more people don't get fit by their pro - I'm trying to get mine to carry Hogan. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@ Zeasy - me - I was fit by my pro - Of course that limited me to Nike/Wilson/Mizuno/Tour Exotics but if you can't get you want out of those four brands? Why wouldn't I want to be fit by him? He knows my swing and he knows me. We had a lengthy discussion because he wanted me in the MP54's. When I explained that I like my irons to be ever ready and don't care about added feel/workability plus was concerned with budget we quickly settled in on Wilson c100's. We took 3 sessions on the shaft/head combo just to be certain - these were in effect uncharged lessons. I'm sure I got have found the clubs that I purchased cheaper via ebay or at a big box but I would never have settled into the shaft/head combo that we found and I would never have had 4 free lessons - the 3 fitting sessions and the 1 when the clubs came in.

Frankly I don't know why more people don't get fit by their pro - I'm trying to get mine to carry Hogan.

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know pros did fittings anymore. I just did a fitting locally at club champ. Before that my dad picked my clubs out for me (he did a lot better job, than the fitter or me).

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

That reaction was priceless. Well I guess I should leave and go to my eye exam. Contacts and improved eyesight should definitely lower my handicap, right?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

John are you cutting back?  I only saw two waggles!!

Just went to my Waggler's Anonymous Group meeting.  "Hi, I'm John, and I'm a Waggler..."

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've heard the quicker the waggle the further the drive.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I think that one was a high 20-something, as best I can recall...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I can't wait for this....

You hit a shot stiff on a par 3. Your playing partner says, "hey, what stick was that?"

You calmly out your sunglasses on and say, "it was just a 37." Cue the Who, CSI: Miami style.

Actually this creates a problem - If I have a 6 iron it can be any spec I'd want it to be - Hey Rev. what did you hit there 6 iron (just because it's stronger than my Ping Eye 2 4 doesn't really matter - in today's bag it's a 6.)  Now though I'll have to report the loft number and be exposed.

I don't like it!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thank you for that.

Actually this creates a problem - If I have a 6 iron it can be any spec I'd want it to be - Hey Rev. what did you hit there 6 iron (just because it's stronger than my Ping Eye 2 4 doesn't really matter - in today's bag it's a 6.) Now though I'll have to report the loft number and be exposed.

I don't like it!

That's not a bad thing. I'm tired of playing with guys who say they hit the ball as far as me when they are playing 4 irons stamped as 6.

Actually this creates a problem - If I have a 6 iron it can be any spec I'd want it to be - Hey Rev. what did you hit there 6 iron (just because it's stronger than my Ping Eye 2 4 doesn't really matter - in today's bag it's a 6.)  Now though I'll have to report the loft number and be exposed.

I don't like it!

You could just self label all of your clubs! Who says your pitching wedge can't be 40*? haha You don't have to say the loft number if you don't want to. Just know what the club means to you. Just because my 6i is 33* doesn't mean yours has to be!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I don't like it!

You could just self label all of your clubs! Who says your pitching wedge can't be 40*? haha You don't have to say the loft number if you don't want to. Just know what the club means to you. Just because my 6i is 33* doesn't mean yours has to be!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I've thought of that already undershooter. :)

Don't be giving away my secrets.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm glad hogan took a risk and went with lofts over numbers. At the rate we are going, in 10 years, you will buy a set of 4 irons for $800 (9, 8, 7, 6) and then carry 5 or 6 wedges. Because the 9 is really 6.

I'm still in favor of some sort of an animal naming system.  Instead of a 6 iron or a 30* or whatever, just call it a "Wallaby."

A 9-iron is just begging to be called "Panda."

Pitching wedge? "Platypus!"

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm still in favor of some sort of an animal naming system.  Instead of a 6 iron or a 30* or whatever, just call it a "Wallaby."

A 9-iron is just begging to be called "Panda."

Pitching wedge? "Platypus!"

Lob wedge can be the Funnel Web...cause it's dangerous?

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If only there was an easy and immediately indentifiable numbering system for golf irons, that didn't require memorization of nicknames or lofts...

You could always go with gun calibers

3DEBB86B-94CD-48E6-AE92-9F2D2EAD9A2D_zps

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think I'm really going to enjoy the loft numbering system simply because no one else has it and it will confuse them. Them - "Hey, what are you hitting?" Me- "Smooth 33". Then silence. I love silence.

Very good review. He always gives great reviews and honest feedback.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great post Jbil.

Rick is articulating VERY well what the v-sole does, how it feels and the kinds of divots it produces.   It cuts in cleanly, then bounces back out, effectively ice-cream-scooping the turf in a way that other clubs (except for Scors and Srixons) don't do.  But he's unable to express what he thinks about them overall!   It sorta seems like he likes them and is awestruck, but I dunno.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Awesome!  But he didn't say "mommy!"

I like how he described them - that they don't feel like any other iron he's ever hit before.  I'd have to agree...it was a combination of super-soft, crisp and solid.  I know that makes no sense whatsoever, but it was a truly unique feel. The Hogans, Srixons, Bridgestones and Wilsons were by far the best feeling irons I hit that demo day - it would be hard to say which one was "better," but they all did feel a little different.  And Hogan was definitely the most unique feeling.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The focus on feel fascinates me.

What struck me in the video was his mention about the ball flight - very similar to Barbajo's commentary on his little snipet.  I know that the ball flight on the SCORs is a thing of beauty and that I don't have to worry so much about the wind with those babies - they produce a nice piercing flight and yet they hold greens great.  I'm guessing that the other irons are the same way.

I also like their turf interaction and so think it might well be the same with the longer irons.  My biggest fear would be forgiveness through the bag.  Clearly Rick is in a different league than me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I also like their turf interaction and so think it might well be the same with the longer irons.  My biggest fear would be forgiveness through the bag.  Clearly Rick is in a different league than me.

I did hit some the long irons -- went as low as a 22 or 23 as I recall -- they were pleasantly forgiving.  Not Big Bertha iron forgiving, but but not bad at all.  Normal mishits really weren't horrible -- very similar in forgiveness, I'd think, to the Srixon Z545 or the Wilson FG Tour V4. Edge of the green vs. in the bunker, if that makes sense...

From a feel standpoint, you know it when you mishit, but it doesn't hurt your hands.  It's a gentle slap on the wrist as opposed to a smack upside the head.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived