Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade Golf - SpeedBlade Irons Launch

SPY ZINGER

taylormadelogo.jpg

TaylorMade Golf - SpeedBlade Irons

IMG_3650.jpg

PRESENTATION OF THE PRODUCT

On Monday, I attended the TaylorMade Golf launch event for their SpeedBlade irons. This invitation only event was held on the range at the BMW Championship, at Conway Farms in Lake Forest, IL. By now, you have seen photographs of the SpeedBlade irons and technical details about them (http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-speedblade-irons/ ). If you want to hear company speak or sanitized press release details, this article will not be for you. There are plenty of other websites for that. If you are interested in a backdoor look into TaylorMade Golf, the people and process behind marketing their brand, this is for you. Thankfully, what I report to you is not tainted by sponsorship dollars, or sanitized by an editor. The direction from Tony and X was simple, “Have fun in Chicago, Zinger.”

If its not already apparent to you, TaylorMade Golf probably spends the most marketing dollars for their products than any other OEM in Golf. From tee-up money, giant drivers in baseball stadiums, to advertisements in local golf publications, it seems as though their budget in this area is limitless. When they decide to organize an event on-site during the Fed-Ex Cup playoffs, it's big-time. So am I, so the invite fit the venue.

TaylorMade erected a stage suitable enough for an outdoor concert. All of the most recognizable names in their company were present from the top on down. The CEO, Mark King, Executive VP, Sean Toulon, Product Creation Manager, Brian Bazzel, and so on. Also on hand were four of TaylorMade's most recognizable staffers in Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, and Jason Day. The TaylorMade guys did their job in explaining their new product, and the staffers were present to validate it on Trackman. After the presentation, members from the media could hit the SpeedBlade irons on the range with feedback from the golf swing polygraph, the FlightScope.

IMG_3636.jpgIMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3701.jpgIMG_3637.jpg

Afterward, I was invited back to a private party for TaylorMade employees. In fact, I later found myself sitting at a table that included King and Toulon. What was remarkable to me is that they pulled out their phones, and were reading what people were saying about their new irons on Twitter. One thing stood out while I made observations and absorbed the mingling of the people that make up TaylorMade. Mark King is a hell of a nice guy. It's apparent not only with the folks he employs, but with complete strangers he encounters. He treats people right when no one is looking, has a genuine love for golf, and belief in his product. When this example is set at the highest level, it's no surprise that TaylorMade sits at the top of the market share hill.

IMG_3692.jpg

COMPREHENSIVE FITTING

While it's one thing to tell people about product, and have professionals that are paid to play it tell you that it's good…it's another to validate the hype. TaylorMade took three guys down to the TaylorMade Performance Lab at Olympia Fields. There, we were met by Brad Syslo, Master Club Fitter, who runs the fitting program at Olympia Fields. This was my first experience at a Performance Lab and I was left impressed. Not because of the high-tech gadgetry, modern décor, or just because it's cool being there. It's because the fitting is being done by a guy that is both fitter, and PGA Professional. Combine that with TaylorMade's propriety fitting system and it's a combination for what I believe, could be one of the best fittings available.

IMG_3467.jpg

The Performance Lab fitting is really a two-part process. A comprehensive fitting indoors, then validation with the recommended clubs outdoors. Yes, launch monitors at each stage. What I really appreciated from Syslo is that he took the time to ask what I was working on with my coach at home. After explaining what I was working on, we discussed it, and he continued to assist me with that through instruction. I felt this was an important part of the fitting component because it allowed him to see both my swing, and what I am working to correct. Those two swings were captured and allowed Syslo to take both swings into consideration when making equipment spec recommendations. No fitter has ever done that with me before, and thought it was important, especially for recreational players or guys like me that play only once per week. All of your swing data is retained in the TaylorMade Performance Lab database, and can be pulled up by any lab in the world.

Read about the Taylor Made Performance Labs here: http://www.tmplabs.com

IMG_3468.jpg

After the indoor/outdoor fitting, my specs were secured and sent to the TaylorMade Tour Department in Carlsbad for the build process. In the interim, Syslo set up a bag with the SpeedBlade irons that were as close as he could get for what he had on hand for the day. I also got a chance to hit the new SLDR driver. The irons were put to the test on what I would consider, the most difficult test of golf I have ever encountered. The North Course at Olympia Fields. We went off on the blue tees which were at about 6900 yards. The fairways are tight, tree-lined, and the rough is long. But nonetheless, a great golf course in immaculate condition. The perfect testing ground.

IMG_3479.jpg

SPEEDBLADE-MY THOUGHTS

During both the fitting, then on course at Olympia Fields, I found that the SpeedBlade irons performed as billed. This was actually the first time I have hit TaylorMade irons in at least four years. It was readily apparent that these irons have got to be the most forgiving in golf. You can put almost any swing on them, and they'll fly high and straight. That “speed slot” is designed to provide forgiveness from heel to toe, and enlarge the sweet spot to the size of a half dollar. It does, and the ball comes off the face noticeably fast. Ball launch is high, and piercing. They were about one and a half clubs longer than my current irons as stamped. To compensate, I usually play a 4-PW. With the SpeedBlades, I would configure the set as a 5-AW which arrive at approximately the 4-PW I am used to for distances.

IMG_3615.jpg

When I miss a shot, it's usually thin with little to no divot. I was literally shocked at how high these fly when hit low on the club face. They are, without any question in my mind, the longest and most forgiving irons I have ever hit. I am serious, you can throw most any hack swing down, and these will still land reasonably close to your target. Just point and shoot, you'll get close. Now I realize, with the size and aesthetics, these heads are not going to be for everyone. It's also unlikely you'll find a complete set in any bag on the PGA Tour this week. But without reservation, these irons are fun and make the game easy-IER to play for anyone that uses them.

IMG_3628.jpg

Whether you like TaylorMade or not, there is no question, they make some great product. Just the same, they employ some passionate people to promote their product at all levels. Traditionalists will argue a position against SpeedBlade for having strong lofts, and not looking like it's namesake suggests...Blade. The truth is, these are one of, if not the longest, most forgiving iron in golf. That's not marketing, it's on-course validation backed up with launch data. That's good for golf because it will make the game a lot more enjoyable for a lot of people. That will keep them coming back, the game will no doubt be easier with these irons. How can you argue against or dismiss that notion?

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

Posted Image

GREAT pictures Zinger. What specs did you end up deciding on?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

First and foremost, I realize I am wearing a black belt with all blue. I am sorry, and it will never happen again. But it is at times, the issues with travel.

I thought the belt was the least offensive part.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I like the part where you mentioned what you were working on with your coach at home... That a) you admit your wife is your coach and B) you are seeking help from others!

Good article Zinger! Looked like a fun and amazing time!

Wow Zinger, that must have been a great experience. Can the average golfer have that same experience and if so what would it cost?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Wow Zinger, that must have been a great experience. Can the average golfer have that same experience and if so what would it cost?

Great question Rickles.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Dave, yes he was, on a set of AP-1s I believe! Theoo, he said a C-Taper or Dynamic Gold Tour issue would fit in terms of specs but recommended a lighter weight shaft to better compensate for lost lag. So in the end, I am not sure what the final shaft order was, but NDMC grips, .5 upright, standard length/loft. Thanks Tokkk!

Yes, anyone can be fit and utilize the facility for that purpose. The cost of an entire bag fitting is around $400 and takes about two hours which is both indoor/outdoor. The question was asked about playing Olympia, and got them impression it was a 'maybe'. Best to call ahead of time and inquire, stating your sincere desire to play the course as well. I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way on that. All clubs are built by the TM tour department and pricing seems to be at mill river, but not 100% on that.

Posted Image

Dave, yes he was, on a set of AP-1s I believe! Theoo, he said a C-Taper or Dynamic Gold Tour issue would fit in terms of specs but recommended a lighter weight shaft to better compensate for lost lag. So in the end, I am not sure what the final shaft order was, but NDMC grips, .5 upright, standard length/loft. Thanks Tokkk!

Yes, anyone can be fit and utilize the facility for that purpose. The cost of an entire bag fitting is around $400 and takes about two hours which is both indoor/outdoor. The question was asked about playing Olympia, and got them impression it was a 'maybe'. Best to call ahead of time and inquire, stating your sincere desire to play the course as well. I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way on that. All clubs are built by the TM tour department and pricing seems to be at mill river, but not 100% on that.

$400 really isnt bad when you consider the time taken to make sure you get the right specs and set up for your game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was with you until I saw the black belt, then I stopped reading.....

Zinger knows I kid. Great read, I haven't been around lately and this is a great thread to start back up in. When I see these reviews my mind always goes to feel. Having played the 300 Forged for years and now hitting the i20's, it seems feel is the most important for me. So Zinger, how was the feel? Forged like? How could these be compared to something forged? And before people think I would be misinformed, this is the first or second thread for me hear at Golfspy so I haven't searched for other reviews.

Thanks ahead of time

George

Driver: Call Epic 9* Stock Fujikura FW: Cally Rogue 17* R Hybrid: Titleis 910h 21* Blue Diamana Irons: Mizuno 850 Forged 5-G Nippon 1150 2 up 0.5" Sand: 54* Vokey SM6 M Grind Lob: 58* Vokey SM6 K Grind Putter: Scotty Select Newport 2 35"

Georgeyyyy! Good to see you here, and the color of the belt matches my martial arts skill so maintain discipline.

To answer your question, they feel nothing like forged. In fact, they are the furthest thing from that feel. They feel like a giant cast sweet spot. Most everything feels like a perfect shot.

Posted Image

• 6 months later...

TaylorMade Golf Innovations produced a video describing The Speed Pocket in more detail:

TaylorMade's “Innovation” Series Breaks Down the Science Behind the Speed Pocket

Emmy-Winning Host John Brenkus Joins Two-Time U.S. Open Champion Retief Goosen to Test the Technology that Powers SpeedBlade Irons

Carlsbad, Calif. (April 9, 2014) –TaylorMade Golf Company, which became the No. 1 iron brand in the game by releasing innovative and technology-driven designs such as the RocketBladez, RocketBladez Tour and SpeedBlade irons, has teamed up with John Brenkus, creator of the Emmy-winning “Sport Science” series, to highlight the company's groundbreaking Speed Pocket technology in a new set of videos.

The series of “Innovation” Videos is designed to make the complex science of the Speed Pocket easy to understand. The golf industry often uses complex scientific principles to explain performance, so the videos are meant to demonstrate how the science benefits golfers all abilities.

The improved Speed Pocket featured in SpeedBlade irons has been widened and lengthened, giving golfers more face area toward the toe and heel that promotes a high launch angle, strong ball flight and a steep, quick-stopping descent angle. To further demonstrate these benefits, TaylorMade Golf Tour staff professional Retief Goosen tested the SpeedBlade irons alongside Brenkus.

Brenkus, six-time Emmy Award winner, creator of "Sport Science" and New York Times best-selling author of "The Perfection Point", demonstrated the variance in ball striking between amateur golfers and professionals to showcase the performance of the Speed Pocket on off-center strikes.

The improved Speed Pocket featured in SpeedBlade irons has been widened and lengthened, giving golfers more face area toward the toe and heel that promotes a high launch angle, strong ball flight and a steep, quick-stopping descent angle. To further demonstrate these benefits, TaylorMade Golf Tour staff professional Retief Goosen tested the SpeedBlade irons alongside Brenkus.

Brenkus, six-time Emmy Award winner, creator of "Sport Science" and New York Times best-selling author of "The Perfection Point", demonstrated the variance in ball striking between amateur golfers and professionals to showcase the performance of the Speed Pocket on off-center strikes.

Posted Image

Thanks for the video. I loved it.

Typically my impact pattern would be inbetween the two - actually it would be closer to Goosen's although it tends to be slightly lower and towards the hosle.  BTW is he a stack and tilter?  He sure appears to set up with a lot of weight on the left side.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived