Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Instructor/coach/teacher

revkev

I realize this is kind of a one way dialogue but how often do you hear about low handicappers taking lessons so I thought it might help. Anyway it's good for me to process through what we are working on.

I had lesson three yesterday. I've been doing a lot of mirror work, played twice and hit balls twice since my last lesson a week and a half ago. I've made huge progress and on Saturday flat out stiffed three irons and hit two other perfect part wedge shots (always a gauge on how the swing is working). We ended lesson two discussing equipment and with some iron testing. My teacher does not like speed/rocket blades because there's not enough feedback. Also it's clear that I have the wrong shaft in the speed blades. I hit the i20s well but they'd need to be reshafted for sure because my back can't take the steel shafts.

At any rate his first recommendation was mp-54s. My eye says yes but my wallet, wife and game concern says no. I want a bit more improvement and certainly distance. Ultimately we tried the Wilson C100s which I loved. The lesson yesterday turned into a fitting. I was swinging well and actually when he had my pause at the top of my back swing alla Kenny Perry it was better than good. So we went into full fitting mode. I pretty quickly settled on the C 100s being it and then we worke on whether or not to go with the stock aldila beta or the matrix studio 6.1. Frankly I couldn't see much difference in ball flight between the two with my eyes but clearly I was a bit longer and the ball stopped quicker with the matrix shaft. Actually I was launching it higher with about 1,000 more RPMs according to the launch monitor.

So he comped the lesson, gave me a reasonable trade on the speed blades, I gave him a piece of plastic by which a few hundred bucks was subtracted from my bank account and we ordered a set of. Wilson C 100''s 1.5 flat, Matrix studio 6.1 5-GW. When they arrive I get another lesson that he'll comp and assuming things keep going the way they are I will take one more with the long clubs. A part of that lesson will be to make sure that the SLDR is properly set and to consider 3 wood and 5 wood verses 3 hybrid.

I also still need to reshaft my SCOR 60 with graphite but that can wait as the better I swing the less it seems to make a difference and I rarely hit full 60s where it actually might. Really I should consider getting a 58 instead.

Oh and I'm going to put the 5 iron in the bag and use it. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived